Usher’s Brother Signs Publishing Deal

According to a press release, Usher’s little brother James Lackey aka “J Lack”signed a publishing deal with EMI. The deal was brokered by his mom Jonetta Patton who has taken on her youngest son as a client since her oldest son kicked her to the curb.

This news is only interesting because of who his brother is. The fact is the youngster is nothing special in the studio. He produced the super annoying single “Get It Shorty” for Lloyd and he reportedly contributed a couple of tracks to Usher’s new album.

19 Responses to “Usher’s Brother Signs Publishing Deal”

mzzphateegirl@yahoo.com says:

i hate that song (get it shorty) and he only was signed because usher is his brother.

I think the song is what is. Its age appropriate, my little cousins love the song because its their market. Now if Im 32 and tryna rock it on my most played list-after Ledisi but b4 Lalah (and I;m not at the Gym), then something might be slightly off.

Everything aint (and shouldnt be) for everybody.

shhhh says:

I guess Ushe get’s his looks from his daddy, because that little boy ain’t got nothing on Usher.

Brownandluscious says:

to me he looks just like Usher.and “get it shawty” is very annoying.lol good luck with dat’ .

milly says:

I met hes lil brother a few years a go, and let me tell you…for someone who isnt actually a celebrity that boy sure is big headed

Dimples says:

Congrats to his brother. He is a very talented writer!!!

brinabelle says:

for some reason i thought his brother been had a music deal or whatever..i remember when uRsher did mtv cribs he was talkin about his brothers talent

tbrown says:

Usher’s brother is what Solange Knowles is to Ms. Beyonce. Good luck to him…I suppose ;)

tbrown says:

Crap. So ‘that’s’ how those smileys show up. My bad for that Sandra! Delete it if you can/want to. LOL

pinky2083 says:

He did a couple other tracks on lloyd’s album. they were pretty good. Give the boy some credit. Could you come up with a track?????

Bsoul says:

Dang, look at that Big smilie!

LOL, I’m just messing with you Tbrown ;^)

Anyway, I remember seeing James on the episode where Usher was punked, he and Usher seem to be close with Usher appearing to be somewhat of a father figure.

kee3 says:

Why are they holding up 3 fingers?….does that mean west side or something?…lol

I wish him much success with his career! get it SHAWTY!

What I want to know is why Ms. Patton, Usher and Lil Man all have differant last names. What’s really going on? As for Lil Man’s career, I wish him nothing but success.

Slimlady727 says:

Bird…

James’ father is Mr. Patton, but when he got older, he chose to take his Grandmother’s last name. (Lackey) Dont know the reason…

shanie says:

Best of luck to him.

realtalk100 says:

sorry, but why is this news? almost every writer or producer in the business can get a publishing deal! they give them away! Now if he signed a HUGE pub deal with a low delivery requirement and good terms, i could see the hype! sandra, write a song and they’ll give you a pub deal too :)

JustJayla says:

I think its great black celebs are showing their siblings how to make moves. If you look at the history of Hollywood, you will see this is a trend and a way to ensure your family is successful. White folks in hollywood have been doing this for years!!!!!! Im glad his brother is actually trying to make a name for himself and actally has a plan. Some celeb sibings are leeches! HE also produced a show for Conde de NAst.

mzzphateegirl@yahoo.com says:

to the poster who said come one of us come up with a track, **** the way the music industry is now, ne body can come up with a track. its so much bull**** played on the radio and getting released its pathetic. i can tell times have change when amy whinehouse is the new it girl and she sounds like pure ****, umm and really not a lloyd fan but i like a couple of songs, but not enough to purchase it.
    and age dnt have nothing to do with music. if a person have good music im purchasing it. Sammie is not n my age bracket but his cd is excellent, i listen to it everyday. when he came back out, i kinda hesitated to even give him a listen becuase of “you should be my girl” but the song eventually grew on me and then i listened to his entire cd and instantly became a huge fan. the only other youngster that can sing is Mario IMO. other than those 2 no young male in the industry is really talented enough for me to purchase their cd. Chris Brown is ok, but really not feeling this cd like i liked his 1st one.

2bme says:

Sure a little nepotism goes a long way..however, it just gets you in the door..James still had to prove himself..remember this is still a business..he’s making his mark and he’s still young..he has a long time to perfect his craft and he’s not doing a bad job..give him credit for making something of himself and not simply “being” Usher’s little brother.