Video: Jay Z embarrasses himself at Glastonbury

According to Noel Gallagher, front man for legendary British rock group Oasis, Jay Z is the #1 reason the Glastonbury rock festival did not sell out for the first time in its history. Rock fans, including Gallagher, protested the choice of Jay Z as the headliner of the festival.

So what does Jay Z do for his opening number? He mocks the legend by attempting to sing the group’s hit song “Wonderwall”. The result was a major embarrassment for Hip Hop.

Jay Z came off sounding like little Lil’ Darryl forgetting the words to the song and playing with his daddy’s guitar. Thank God the crowd knew the words by heart and drowned him out. The rock fans who bought their tickets did so knowing Jay Z was the headliner. So of course they were polite to him. But the true guitar heads stayed home in protest of Jay Z as the headliner – and I can’t say I blame them.

32 Responses to “Video: Jay Z embarrasses himself at Glastonbury”

2bme says:

Sandra you are my girl and all, but you are the only outlet so far with something negative to say..I’ve heard nothing but good things including the other acts that respected him including coming out playing 99 problems..give Jay his props for breaking down the barrier regardless of how you feel about him personally

Coo Coo Bananas says:

Beastie Boys performed before Oasis & Jay and they’re hip hop.

Imalover says:

Do get where you’re coming from Sandra. I thought it was a bold move to step outside his comfort zone… I liked it.

mizzdallas says:

Jay-Z is an embarrassment to the men for looking so geekish with a little of how u doing!

Imalover says:

I meant “Don’t” get where Sandra is coming from. Here’s Jay-Z’s performance in its entirety.

milly says:

From the video above..it doesnt seem embarassing, maybe I missed it…

MOCHAMOMMY says:

Let Sandra tell it, anytime JayZ gets a fat ass check, he embarrasses himself. I think she’s still upset about him takin Bey from her

aqtpie says:

I’m with 2bme this is the only outlet where I have read anything negative about Jay-Z at Glastonbury.

MOCHAMOMMY says:

MUNCHOSGIRL says:

HIS SHOW WAS THE SHIIIT! I WATCHED IT LIVEM HE HAD THE CROWD AMPED SANDRA, AND THE SHOW DID SELL OUT. THE SHOW DIDN’T SELL OUT AS FAST AS THEY WANTED IT TOO. IT IS TOO EARLY IN THE MORNING FOR SUCH NEGATIVITY! I WAS READING SO MANY ARTICLES YESTERDAY AND THE COORDINATOR DID SAY THAT MUCH. TRYING TO THROW SHADE ON JAY IS NOT GOING TO GET YOU ANYWHERE! LIKE HE SAID SANDRA “FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DIDN’T GET THE MEMO, MY NAME IS JAY-Z AND I”M FYUCKING AWESOME!”

MUNCHOSGIRL says:

“He came, he saw, he conquered. Strolling onstage with a guitar for a tongue-in-cheek cover of Oasis’ Wonderwall, Jay-Z’s headline set was shot through with style and humour. With no special guests he made the Pyramid stage bounce with a devastating greatest hits set that marked a defining moment for Glastonbury. Point proved.”

Caron02 says:

The Business Man def did his thing!

the crowd LOVED HIM!

brenden says:

MOCHAMOMMY Says:

MOCHAMOMMY Says:

LMAO! It’s too early for me to be laughing this hard.lol. Now my head hurts. Thanks alot mocha.lol

2thick4u says:

I love Jay and I am glad that he performed and rocked the crowd even though he was given bad publicity.

Amy Winehouse…now that’s a whole nother posting!!!!

NYCUTIE says:

Was Beyonce jumping around like Jay’s # 1 fan in that video? That was soo cayute!!

I couldn’t wait to come up here and see what type of hatred Sandra would place on JayZ after his fabo performance.

The fact that you can’t even throw a simple congrats his way is laughable at best.

Jay killed his performance and was the correct representative for Hip Hop to come and show that good music is good music regardless of genre.

Love ya Jigga Man!!!!!!!!!!

mr mr says:

once again, Sandra comes with the HATE…
    for anyone who believes what Sandra is saying, PLEASE Google the reviews of the festival…Jay-Z got overwhelmingly GREAT reviews from all the music critics ova there…after all the controversy, he proved that music is bigger than the artist, and really gave the concert-goers a show for their money….SANDRA GROW UP!!!!

Yanaja says:

I am proud of him. This is so much better than anything he’s done thus far in his whole career because he went into a situation where “we” (people of color) were not welcomed and conquered. How can you possibly hate on that Sandra??? He f*ckin owned those bigots…

spraggaswifey says:

#18—bless yourself for that!

i kno this is your site sandra but your hate is more like an obsession….yuh are the only person to have something negative to say about his performance at this show and there are a lot of reveiws out…i read where people even said he was the best thing there….no matter what good this man and his wife do/done/did yuh continue to hate without let up…it makes yuh look bad not them..*smh*…like i always say why get mad when other people knock us when we do it so much to our own selves….

Sweet Mango says:

He has gotten praise in every article that I have read so far, I guess we are all entitled to our opinion or lack there of?

He can get it!

brwnsugga4you says:

Mocha says: The only time I can recall him embarrassing himself is when he signed that no talent havin big head chick (and I’m not talkin about Teirra Marie).

~~~your azz is crazy..lmao!!!~~~

brwnsugga4you says:

and this video of jay with the glass…PRICELESS!!!LOL.

entyce08 says:

OK….first off i’m not a Jay-Z fan to begin with & judging by that clip above that performance was horriable!!! Now i don’t know what he was doing at that concert in the first place but if the Producers of the show let him do a set he isn’t gonna turn down the money!!! I know i would be pissed if i was going to a hip hop festival and Disturbed was headling………..the spot could have better filled but if they are gonna hand him the money he’s gonna take …..as it should be.

London Marie says:

JAY KILLED THAT PERFORMANCE..

MUNCHOSGIRL says:

ENTYCE YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST STOPPED AT “OK….first off i’m not a Jay-Z fan to begin with” THE REST OF YOUR STATEMENT IS PURE RUBBISH! ALL THE DOUBTERS HAVE ALREADY SUNG HIS PRAISES! SAY IT AGAIN LONDON MARIE!

Sandra I know that this is your blog so your opinion but I think before talking sometimes take a look further into stuff.. I watched Jay-Z performance and if you watch it you would have not understood where those types of comments came from especially since the crowd was so loudly singing along and and even sang along when he opened up with the song that he did.. After watching it my opinion of the negative press that he did get from overseas is basically the fact that everyone has not embraced hip hop and or does not accept it or like it not that Jay-Z did a bad job or did not give his all in that performance. Your dislike for some people like Beyonce and Jay-Z makes you not think as clearly or logical as myself and your other readers know that you are!! :)

krbinc says:

THAT WAS NOT AN EMBARRASSMENT FOR HIPHOP SANDRA! THAT WAS AN UP FOR FOR HIPHOP BECAUSE HE MARKED THEM FOR WHAT OASSIS SAID! AND THE SHOW WAS SOLD-OUT SANDRA!

katgirl33 says:

I think that he did a good job showing that Black people, as well as hip hop lovers are open to all types of music.

It’s my opinion that music really is the soundtrack to life…all types of music.

I fail to see the embarrassment…them whyte folks probably thought Jay wasn’t up on their kind of music…..shocked them so bad, they had to sing along with him…..

I’m just saying :)

MzTee says:

C’mon Sandra — Jay wasn’t that bad. It was all done in the spirit of fun and unity to show the fans that he too appreciates rock music AND then he commences to rip the stage by launching into 99 Problems.

I don’t think Jay should have headlined a rock music festival, but I ain’t mad at old boy for rising to the occasion and rocking the crowd.

Coop says:

@Sandra

Stop hating your looking really bad everyone other then you and a few Brit’s that didn’t want him because he was urban are saying they loved him.

candycane says:

YEAAAAAAAAAH!! I knew he was going to do his thing. IT’S THE ROC IN HERE!

shandy says:

I neva used to be a huge Jay fan, but now i have been totally converted after watching him @Glastonbury, Am so glad he headlined the show.

Can’t wait to see more of him as he’s performing all over the UK.