Medical Minute: Light skinned blacks more prone to getting skin cancer

Past medical studies comparing skin cancer rates among Caucasians and blacks have shown that cases among whites were proportionately higher due to their lack of skin pigmentation.

But new studies reveal that that a deadly form of skin cancer (malignant melanoma) is now increasing among biracial people and light skinned blacks who have less pigmentation than dark skin blacks.

From Black Voices blog:

Studies show that when blacks do get skin cancer, it is often discovered at a later stage and is more deadly. Musician Bob Marley, for instance, died of malignant melanoma, an aggressive skin cancer that spread to his organs.

Sunscreen is the first layer of defense against the sun’s dangerous rays, but a Consumer Reports poll shows that while 67 percent of people identifying themselves as light-skinned wear sunscreen, only 27 percent of dark-skinned people do. Experts recommend that everyone, regardless of skin color, protect themselves with SPF 15 sunscreen.

For black people with skin cancer, melanoma will usually appear in places where there is less pigmentation, like the palms of the hands, bottoms of the feet, under nails and on the genitals, but it may look different based on skin tone. The best way to be safe is to get any suspicious growths or moles checked out, just as you would a lump in your breast. It may be less likely that you’ll have skin cancer, but no one is immune. READ MORE…

Photo: Wireimage/Getty

30 Responses to “Medical Minute: Light skinned blacks more prone to getting skin cancer”

miamore73 says:

This shouldn’t be a medical minute alert. That’s obvious. What brown skinned folks better realize is that skin cancer is on the rise among black people period. The sun is closer and hotter. I’m light skinned and as a 5 year old I would sit out and play and swim all day in Southern Cali never once did I sun burn. Last summer I spent the day out at the beach went home like a lobster. RIDICULOUS!!!

Everyone of all shades should be using sunscreen. Don’t let that dark skin light skin crap fool ya.

miamore73 says:

OOOO I think that’s the first time I was first!!!!

Daisy says:

I never got my medical min on Vertigo!

Anna says:

I did not know that Bob Marley died of complications due to skin cancer, I thought it had something to do with drugs.
    Who the hell is going to get skin cancer on there genitals, never mind, when ever you see a show with a nude beach everyone looks pale.

goat76 says:

I live in Alabama……I don’t plan on being out in the sun that long……Do ya’ll know how muthaphuckin hot it get down here…..

iscream says:

Did you post this with a revengeful smile on your face?

Naima says:

Sandra go back to the 3rd grade, didn’t you go to school in the UK? That means that light skin people are more likely to WEAR SUNSCREEN compared to dark skin folks

teecee says:

and ?

Yanaja says:

I’m from the Caribbean and normally love to bake in the sun for hours. I love the way my skin glows after getting a tan eventhough I get darker, but my dermatologist just told me last year to start using at least a 15 SPF sunscreen because skin cancer is on the rise in people of color. I’ve been using 55 SPF Aveeno ever since. I don’t get a good tan like before but I’m protected and I still get the glow so it’s win/win.

spongebobfan says:

yeah this is pretty obvious. im’high yella’ as they say. I learned that eons ago….

Naima Says:

***********************************************

That’s because light skinned people know they are more prone to getting skin cancer than dark skinned people due to the decreased amount of melanin in their skin.

Yanaja Says:
    …my dermatologist just told me last year to start using at least a 15 SPF sunscreen because skin cancer is on the rise in people of color.

************************************************

The rise in skin cancer among blacks is due to the increased public acceptance of interracial relationships which produce more light skin people than there were decades ago.

ELove says:

Ms. Sandra… LUV the BOB MARLEY Pic !!!

Man Alabama & Louisiana gets BUTT-FUNKY HOTT
    LMAO

Coo Coo Bananas says:

Please do a medical minute on PMLE.

Naima says:

No, that b/c light skin folks are more likely to just lay in the sun at the beach, dark skin folks get in the water,play sports, eat lunch and leave

mizzdallas says:

Living in Texas its gets Hell Hot! when its 90 Degrees it really is 106 Degrees! I make sure I always use sunscreen on my brownskin I worry mostly about my mom b/c she is LS and her skin is easily burn bye sun if she is NOT wearing any sunscreen.

miamore73 says:

Naima your crazy we light we ain’t white. Ain’t nobody trying to lay in the sun for what???

Sandra when I was little I was even lighter than I am now and being a kid my skin (one would think) was softer and more likely to be burned but NO. We swam and played ALL day long in the late 70’s early/mid 80’s. Never once did I burn.

I really think it has more to do with the ozone layer vs. race mixing.

Shauny says:

miamore get on up outta here with that first stuff. We grown folk up in here.

Sandra said,

^^^^^seriously?

Daisy says:

Shauny Be nice I dont think Mia meant any harm she wasnt calling first just surprised she was 1st..lol

I come from a moely (sp) family and I am always worried about a mole turning into something more.

Coo Coo Bananas says:

I don’t know what “shade” I am but I’ve never been called a “darkie” and I’ve never been called light skin either. Both my parents are black folks so I’m not biracial lol.

With that being said, 2 years ago I was diagnosed with PMLE (Polymorphic Light Eruption). Prior to that, I spent all my life playing in the sun all willy nilly without a care in the world lol. Now? I can’t be out there without a special sunscreen if the UV index is more than 4. If I don’t wear the sunscreen & protective clothing, I get a rash that’s itchy, red, bumpy, swells & seeps. Some straight up nasty sh*t lol.

It’s been said that a lot more people may have this condition but they file it under “sunburn” and keep it moving.

So black folks, even if you’re light as hell or darker then a motherf*cker lol, SLATHER ON THAT SUNSCREEN AND PROTECT YOUR GORGEOUS SKIN!!!

Naima says:

Sandra ain’t you Carribean? I know y’all love some light skin folks

masonmom says:

this is pretty much common sense! darker skin has more melanin. i actually got sun POISON when i went to the bahamas last year. never had a problem wit the sun before, i guess after a pregnancy ur body really changes!

ELove says:

@mizzdallas
    True but I think in Arizona that’s a regular ole hot day LOL I got some relatives that say it’s just Ridiculous Hot out there

miamore73 says:

Yeah Shauny seriously fallback. Daisy had it right. Feeling like a spitfire today or what??

miamore73 says:

Masonsmom someone just told me about sun poison that sounds crazy as hell to me.

I wonder if Sandra has nightmares about waking up and being the last brown skinned person on earth. Watch out Aunty the LSLH’s are gonna get you.

Daisy says:

Some ppl are allergice to the sun

missnee says:

****, i guess i’m considered light skinned and i sure as hell lay out in the sun to deal with the fact that my legs end up hella lighter than the rest of me cuz i wear jeans a majority of time.

i don’t like being all pale looking

maema says:

i am the same complexion as lauryn hill. my dermatologist told me that, naturally, i have a natural spf of around 13 or so due to melanin. regardless, she recommended a sunscreen of spf 30. i religiously use on my face. not as diligent on my body.

maema says:

funny thing is, black people used to make fun of me for wearing sunscreen. i literally had people tell me that i was “too dark” to worry about such things.

Mspeng says:

Funnily enough, looking back at it, it seems absolutely ridiculous and hopefully they’ve stopped doing it (even though I doubt it). But I spent my early childhood years living in Jamaica and for punishment, the teachers used to make us stand in the sun for like a half an hr or so to teach a lesson. What lesson do you learn from baking in the sun? No protection? I have no clue but it was done.