PICS: Friends, family say goodbye to Ashley ‘A.J.’ Jewell

Tameka Foster’s ex-husband Ryan Glover, 2nd from right, comforts Ashley “AJ” Jewell’s good friend, producer Jazze Pha, far right, as friends look on. Family and friends turned out to say goodbye to Ashley “AJ” Jewell, who passed away from unknown causes last week. The funeral was held at the Ray of Hope Christian Church in Decatur, yesterday.
Pictures by BRANT SANDERLIN, BSANDERLIN@AJC.COM

L to R: April Love, Ed Hartwell, Lisa Wu Hartwell (with back to camera) and Lisa McCall (Kandi Burrus’ manager) were among friends and family who attended the funeral of AJ Jewell at Ray of Hope Christian Church yesterday.

Frederick Richardson, the man charged with killing Jewell, was ordered held without bond.
Photo: BRANT SANDERLIN, BSANDERLIN@AJC.COM

One of several cars carrying Jewell’s family pulls into the church. RHOA cast member Kandi Burruss’ engagement to Jewell had been a point of contention between Burruss and her mother, who objected to her daughter marrying a man with six children from four different women. Burrus gave a moving eulogy during the service.
Photo: BRANT SANDERLIN, BSANDERLIN@AJC.COM

Women walk toward the church as a deputy directs traffic. In a recent interview with the AJC, Burruss said she was surprised that the public was so interested in her life with Jewell. Other funeral guests included R&B singer Monica, Usher’s estranged wife, Tameka Foster; Jamie Foster Brown (Sister2Sister magazine publisher), RHOA cast members NeNe Leakes, Kim Zolciak and Dwight Eubanks. Sheree Whitfield was noticeably absent. Old school R&B singer Danny Boy sang.
Photo: BRANT SANDERLIN, BSANDERLIN@AJC.COM

65 Responses to “PICS: Friends, family say goodbye to Ashley ‘A.J.’ Jewell”

shannon04 says:

It is so sad to have a life taken away for no reason at all. It just hurts your heart to see things like this happen. It made me wonder how did Kandi’s mother feel after learning that he passed away. It’s a hard pill to swallow. I hope that the families stick together for the children and uplift them.

masonmom says:

I’d like to see how the meeting with AJ n kandi’s mom turned out next week (this week :yawn: ) Its an unfortunate situation but i dnt think kandi’s mom should apologize or feel guilty about how she felt. had he not of died she’d feel the same way and she made it perfectly clear SHE AINT FAKE! it is what it is and i dont blame her. Is her mom sad for kandi’s loss, of course.

2bme says:

If she didn’t like his baggage and didn’t really have an issue with him, himself then she probably would feel bad. i think, it’s all of the above though. i know the worst thing in the world is to say something malicious to someone and then have them pass away.

Hopefully, they came to terms before his death, that can wear heavy on your heart. I pray all that were affected,peace as time goes by

2thick4u says:

Thanks for posting pictures Sandra.

I am saddened by these tragic events but this happens so much in our communities that I have became null to the violence.

I pray that his kids can overcome this tragedy and be successful, productive citizens.

STOP THE VIOLENCE :( !!!

iscream says:

Shannon04 Said:
    ***********************
    I’m sure she felt bad because she did know him. & it likely hurts to see her daughter going thru so much pain. But I’m sure somewhere inside she is happy her daughter is not a widow. :shrug:

Is that an old school Limo? & Is Kandi a ditz? Why wouldn’t the public be interested in that ghetto ass story of her marrying Greg Brady. Why do you think the soap’s stay on for years and years.

missy says:

May he R.I.P

Funerals are very sad but in my opinion the worst part of going to funerals is when they are lowering the casket in the grave.Hope everyone and his children (if they went) have strong persons who can help them through this tough time.

Now all they have left to do is to remember the good times they had together and remember him as the man they knew him as.

Daisy says:

Sandra per the AJC and my inside sources all the housewives but Sheree were at the funeral. NeNe tweeted right before going to the funeral as well.

My prayers go out to his family

flyqtnva says:

I just wanna say my S2S mag came in the mail today and their are interviews from both KANDI & AAJ…after reading the interview IMO he loved Kandi and he said he would NEVER want to come between her and her mom….I KNOW HER MOM WILL FEEL LIKE POOP once she reads the article…he also called out his ex wife in the interview …..i didnt even know they were gonna be in her mag this month so I was blown away when i recieved it and saw AJ interview on the cover!

Anna says:

missy Says:

May he R.I.P

~~~~~~
    Yes, may he R.I. P. I am like you. As hard as a funeral is, (most turn into church) but, the lowering of the casket has always been my sob fest. That to me is what makes it final and the first one I went to was my moms.
    May everyone keep embracing his children and do not try or let them ever be seperated. They are siblings and should be raised as such.

mizzdallas says:

God blessed their whole family in this time of need. Personally I don’t think Kandi’s mom should feel guilty about what she said 2 AJ I believe she wanted 2 protect her daughter but that’s all in the past now.

mizzdallas says:

I aint mad cha I aint mad cha 2pac feat. danny boy

Daisy says:

Anna I am not sure they were all being raised together before his death since he had 4 baby mamas.

I agree as well seeing the casket lower is the WORST!

attorneymom says:

Lay off Kandi’s mom. What good mother would want her daughter to marry a man with 6 children and 4 baby mamas? I applaud her for sticking to her guns.

Kandi has accomplished a lot in her life. Yet, she did not want AJ to sign a prenup. WTH? She seems to be a little naive when it comes to men.

Shauny says:

co signing Missdallas #10

Isc – maybe she finds it crazy that people are interested in her relationship because people go through it everyday. She knows she isn’t this huge star so maybe that’s why she doesn’t get it big hoopla her situation caused. Doesn’t mean she’s dumb. AJ having 4 baby mamas and 6 children isn’t a sensational story for me, I’ve seen it. They revealed it, mama don’t like it, Kandi and mama debated, AJ and Kandi were dealing with it, they’d make it or they wouldn’t.

Also whether Kandi is a widow or not, she loved that man and he’s no longer here. I don’t think their marital status at the time of death makes a difference to Kandi’s mother. Her daughter is crushed either way.

As far as Sheree, maybe her son had another concert. Bish couldn’t be cold enough to do it on purpose because she knew people would be like where is Sheree. She couldn’t be that cold.

pointhimout says:

i believe kandi’s mom was just being a mom. we feel the way we feel about people. his passing, im sure, didn’t change that she didn’t think her daughter she marry him. she said herself that she had nothing against him–just didn’t want kandi to be with someone who had so much baggage. still a sad story, weeks before his next birthday.

may all affected parties find solace and heal their wounded hearts.

Daisy says:

Shauny Sheree may be like me and HATE funerals. I only go when I a ABS POSTIVELY have to and I know most ppl dont like funerals but I just cant/wont do it unless I have to. I am sure Sheree spoke w/ Kandi since this all went down and paid her respects in her own way at least I pray she did. I am glad the rest of the cast was there for her though.

I think Kandis mother is there for her daughter in her time of need as she should be. I also agree it doesnt matter if they were engaged or not engaged at the time of his death we all know how much Kandi loved that man. That is a fear of mine that I finally meet my mr right after waiting ALL these years and something tragic happening. I :pray: that is not the case.

Anna says:

My comment was also sublimial(Diddy, Kim & Sarah). A child should always know their siblings. It’s the parents who bring and make kids out of wedlock who decide “I don’t want my child around such in such”. I have never known a child who did not want to know a sibling, but parents too hurt to share their blood line/connecton to the child.

R.I.P. AJ
    i cant wait til next week’s episode

i listened to kandi’s song today, i kinda like it :)

vipatlstyle says:

What…Sandra working on a weekend…I never…

Charles says:

People are coming for my good sis sandra on twitter trey song broke ignroant no hit wonder flop ass came for her on twitter and trust I dragged him and all the fags I could find who came for sandra, sandra you should do a post on trey flop exposing his gay ass!

Shauny says:

How did Sandra become a trending topic on Twitter? Damn, I missed what happened.

Shauny says:

Insomnia night. Charles I didn’t see your comment before I posted. So that’s what happened huh, Trey came back at Sandra. I guess he’s tired of her coming at him. She’s a big girl, I wish I could see what Charles put on Twitter…lol. I bet he was going off

attorneymom says:

Shauny writes, “As far as Sheree, maybe her son had another concert.”
    ************************************************************

LMBO. That was a good one.

masonmom says:

#1-how did trey flop, he came in #2 on the charts only cuz of whit’s comeback, im no stan but these ladies are chkn for him. he will definitely have take a back seat once my boo R. Kells comes out cuz im DEF-IN-NUT-LEE coppin that thang cuz it’s gonna be fiyah!

#2-kandi’s songs got potential and i hope she gets marketed right. female acts are so watered down and modeled after the typical lookin beyonce mold that great singers dont get a chance to shine!

Daisy says:

Mason Kandi is not a great singer lol

Charles says:

@ cbann88 is my twitter

missy says:

:offtopic:

Went to charles twitter(just to be nosey) and you went in on Mr.songz and dem I mean some of those things you said made me flat line how crazy they were.

masonmom says:

daisy i didnt say she was a great singer, i was speakin in general.

Shauny says:

Kandi and Tosha were the best singers in Xscape even though they ALL could sing. She is definately a better than average singer IMO but we each have our own description of a good/great singer. I don’t think Fantasia can sing all that well but I know that you do Daisy.

Going to follow Charles so I can be nosey and fall out like missy..lol

Mason, Trey isn’t a flop. He sings better than most of these cats out here. He can’t please everyone though. Sandra just started coming from him out of nowhere though.

attorneymom says:

I am convinced that Charles and Sandra are the same person. LOL

Daisy says:

Kandi is not above avg in my book she has a unique voice n can carry a tune but she can’t sing or blow IMO now Tasha from xscape can sang n so can my Tasia w or w/o the hollerin that heifa can flat out SANG n take it to church lol

missy says:

@ Attorney mom i think they are the same person but it makes good entertainment

@Shauny it was all worth it :lolol: (but if you don’t have crude humor it won’t be as funny)

missy says:

*i think the maybe(not are)

masonmom says:

:rofl: @ sandy = charles!!

masonmom says:

trey has been a sleeper his past 2 albums. speakin of who is this nikki ninja or minja chick… :waiting:

missy says:

@ mason…

I was wondering who she was too and then I looked her up(big mistake) and i was like (in my flava flav voice)Woooow this the chick with all the hype i could rap just as good as her (and my ability isn’t that great)but she managed to get signed with Young money I don’t think she is good but some people do so :rollseyes: And if you really wanna see her ability look up that song 5 star chick that shows her true talent. :rofl:

starr says:

ummm….. I saw sheree on another site i won’t dare say on the red carpet for the bet awards. Were the bet awards yesterday?….and i thought it was atlanta?…..

and idk why trey is so concern about sandra. She must of hit a nerve. Guess he only wants necole bitchie wrapped about his shaft.

yea i had to go look see what the fuss was about on twitter….lol

Shauny says:

I believe Sheree did tweet that she was getting her hair and makeup done for something earlier yesterday.

I don’t get the Nicki Minaj hype either. Her songs irk the chit out of me.

Daisy and that’s why I say its all in preference because Tosha is in a different league than Tasia. I don’t care for the yelling, runs and yeah yeah yeahs, just SANG.

@starr – from what I’m hearing Sandra actually said something about Trey on Twitter first and he came back at her. You could ask Sandra why she’s so concerned with him as well. Classic example of throw a lick, pass one back if I ever saw one. I’m sure tomorrow will be Trey Day literally on here…lol

missy says:

I was gonna mention the sheree situation but decided to leave it alone cause i did see her at the hip hop awards in her jumpsuit.(maybe she doesn’t like funerals but the red carpet yasss)

@Shauny i didn’t know sandra threw some shade at trey first on twiiter any way life goes on .

starr says:

What i find funny is that Trey prob gave sandra some new readers….lol more hits!! :cheer: lol

Sandra says alot a things about alot of people… they aren’t making her a trending topic on twitter lol

I doubt sandra cares, but i wonder what she has in store for him…lol

shunda says:

:rofl: at Charles. where do you get these words from? Poor people lol. I don’t get the Nikki Minaj hype either.

pointhimout says:

yeah, i saw how SR was a trending topic for a while, as people went in on her. I’m sure she’s now off somewhere contemplating what dirt to spill about my beloved trey songz. how i long for thee and all that sexiness, which he continues to waste on FISH.

Daisy says:

Shauny umm that is why I said w/ or w/o the hollering (which I like) Tasia can still SANG def. better than Kandi lol and for the record I do NOT think runs = sanging or blowing. Tasha did runs on xscapes songs as well though, most make that all r&b singers do them some more than others.

I am def NOT feeling Nicki either I will let that bandwagon bypass me lol

Daisy says:

I saw the pic of Sheree on the red carpet and yes the bet hip hop awards were taped here last night in the ATL. Lil duval kept me entertained tweeting from the event last night :rofl:

masonmom says:

so why is there now an article on this whole sandra rose vs. trey songs “twitter” beef? is it really that serious! she will definitely get more hits now and oh how lucky we are to be able to shut out the new crowd and be able to comment :notworthy:

so i asked of this nikki minaj chick cuz on friday’s 106 n pk her vid 5 star chick was up n it caught my attn cuz she said “5 lil mama u a 3 star i aint dreamin when i say im in my dreeaam car..oooh” she’s so animated when she raps. is that her real voice? my my my how female rap has gone from conscious rap to rep for the ladies to raunchy azz chicks who reppin for hoez! i know mc lyte, queen latifah, roxanne and etc are so disappointed in how far they’ve come to rep for real women to be respected in the male dominated rap game.

pointhimout says:

i wanna read the article. hopefully it’s quoting me or at least asking trey songz the age old question about his sexiness and FISH.

Daisy, Lil Duval is corny as hell. It must be nice to have friends in low places. I can’t even see why he’s semi relevant in pseudo famous atl.

Shauny says:

Point, lil Duvall is entertaining at times but also not always my cup of tea either.

Sheree…no comment on her anymore. Daisy you probably gave her a great excuse…lol

I don’t get the you can talk about me but I shouldn’t say anything about you mantra but whatever. It’ll be interesting tomorrow.

attorneymom says:

OMG, Rap Duo Kid and Play were at the BET Awards. Wow.

Charles says:

Lol sandra and I are not the same person and trey flop had no right to sexually harass sandra on twitter he and his fans needing a lashing esp considering the fact he is a no one, with no talent no sales no hits and no charts what so ever

iyonah says:

RIP AJ … HIs family, children and friends are in my prayers. I wonder how upcoming episodes of the RHOA will be impacted by all of this.

:offtopic:

I am with you Charles … Trey was out of line. The comments relating to her sexuality were rude and unnecessary. I was never impressed with him anyway :shrugs:

iyonah says:

@Shauny I agree … I used to follow @cdagod but sometimes it was to must for my taste, so I simply unfollowed, lil duval is a lil more bearable.

i missed the comments Trey made about her sexuality… but doesnt Sandra call Trey gay in just about every post she makes about him?

Im waiting for sandra to go in on him this morning, this is gonna be GOOD.

HEY NEW READERS *waves*

I like tasia and I like Nicki Minaj :heart:

iscream says:

*********************************************
    :clap: I so agree with this comment.

I just read trey & charles tweets. :shrug; I don’t get the twitter hype. Reading one sided comments is crazy. & who is sandraroseface that he kept talking to. Is that Sandra’s twitter name?

@LadyJustice in order to get a link attached to your name does it have to be approved by Sandra? I trying to link a page and it doesn’t seem to be working. I clicked on my name and put the address where it says http. Is that correct? or does it just take some time to go through.

iscream says:

*********************************************
    :clap: I so agree with this comment.

@LadyJustice in order to get a link attached to your name does it have to be approved by Sandra? I trying to link a page and it doesn’t seem to be working. I clicked on my name and put the address where it says ht tp. Is that correct? or does it just take some time to go through.

iscream says:

Why are my comments waiting to be mod. :cry:
    ________________________________________________
    Shauny said:
    *********************************************
    I so agree with this comment.

@LadyJustice in order to get a link attached to your name does it have to be approved by Sandra? I trying to link a page and it doesn’t seem to be working. I clicked on my name and put the address where it says h_ _ p. Is that correct? or does it just take some time to go through.

iscream says:

*suck teeth* I give up Sandra please delete those comments waiting to be modified.

:shrug:

iscream says:

I feel like I’m on punishment. All my comments are being held captive. :crying1:

:cya:

iyonah says:

Morning Laydee!!

I :heart: Nicki also! Her material has gotten better with time. I can apprecaite the lane she is working towards/in. Tasia Mae is ok in my book as long as she don’t start all that hollering people call singing.

iyonah says:

appreciate**

Daisy says:

I agree SR been calling Trey gay way before he ever responded as somebody said earlier if u can dish u can take it

Point Lil duval being a celeb or not is not my concern I cld care less if u or others think he is a wannabe celeb he is funny as hail to me most of the times and I will stand by that he is a comedian nothing more nothing less. I may live n the A but star struck I am not they r ppl just like me

Daisy says:

As far as Nicki M not impressed n I like Diamonds verse on the original better than Nicki or Trinas verse on the remix and I am not even a diamond fan per say either

Where is L boogie rah digga mc lyte and the chick from digable planet when u need them lol

I don’t even like 5 star chick song

Speaking of lil mama anybody see the video of Bey trying to stop her from going on stage :rofl:

iyonah says:

@Daisy … I was trying to watch the video but it times out everytime, and I have been to like 5 different sites? Did she even touch her?

Daisy says:

Iyonah yes she did grab her hand lol

Shauny says:

I’m heading to YouTube. I don’t think I can check the video on my phone…or can we view it via crackberry Daisy?

You and LadyJustice said it all about Trey’s response. Heading to the Trey topic now to see Sandra go in on him

miamore73 says:

Sheree ass don’t like nothing that ain’t revolving around her. PERIOD!!

As a mother I would just be happy that my daughter had broken up with him and wasn’t with him at the time of this incident. She may have helped stop it but she may have become a part of it also.