Crime: A Black Woman Dies in Buckhead

Her name is ZaQuavia Kingsberry and she was 33-years-old when she died.

Kingsberry’s mysterious death is making headlines in Atlanta, not because of how she lived but because of where she died: an upscale apartment complex in the tony Buckhead hamlet of Atlanta.

As sad as her story is, it is likely that we never would have heard of ZaQuavia Kingsberry had she been found dead in Bankhead Courts.

According to the AJC, in a story titled “Little information surrounding Buckhead apartment murder,” ZaQuavia Kingsberry was found shot to death in her boyfriend’s Buckhead apartment Wednesday afternoon.

She had been shot two or three times, Atlanta Police Maj. Keith Meadows said. “It was not a random act,” said Carlos Campos, Atlanta police spokesman, to the media and neighbors assembled outside.

The boyfriend’s name has not been released. But according to the AJC, Kingsberry was found in her boyfriend’s fourth-floor apartment at the Gramercy at Buckhead Apartments, which the AJC continuously refers to as “distinctive apartment homes.”

The AJC reporter paid a great a great deal of attention to Kingsberry’s neighbors — especially Caragh Stichter, 24, a young, pretty blond, who busied herself calling other neighbors in the complex to report the incidence of violent urban crime in their midst.

“Your next door neighbor was shot and killed,” she said while on the phone.

“I’ve seen nothing out of the ordinary here,” Stichter told the AJC. “It’s a safe community. You say that it could never happen, but it happened three doors down from me.”

“Everyone is like, ‘We want to break our lease,’” Stichter said.

And that pretty much sums up the story in the AJC. It’s not so much about ZaQuavia’s tragic death as it is about the “distinctive” Buckhead apartment complex where she died — and the upper middle class white residents who are stunned that urban violence has hit so close to home.

ZaQuavia’s young, upper crust neighbors thought their expensive Buckhead address insulated them from the urban violence that plagues their neighbors to the South.

Kingsberry, 33, was visiting from Raleigh, N.C., where she worked at a homeless shelter. She also was a single mother, with children ages 15 and 4, according to Anne Burke, executive director of Urban Ministries, which runs the shelter.

“We’re all in shock,” Burke told the AJC on Thursday. “The women will be coming back into the shelter at 4 this afternoon, they’ll probably have heard about it by then. This is going to be a very difficult day for all of us.”

Thanks to the AJC, we now know Zaquavia Kingsberry’s name — not because of how she lived, but because of where she died.

Source: AJC

Thanks to loyal reader Kay Wallace for the tip.

43 Responses to “Crime: A Black Woman Dies in Buckhead”

Ebony says:

Did the neighbors hear the multiple gun shots?

Alana says:

I guess because I’m black I’m always on edge and know crime can happen “everywhere”. Sounds like its drug related to me. I wish we would stop killing eachothers. I pray the police find her killer. I’m sure it will be a priority so that the white people can have peace that their precious complex isn’t really “crime ridden”. This is so sad…

kwall says:

We just want to know what happened to her. Her family, her friends, her co-workers. Thanks soooo much Sandra.

RIP Quay.

And boo to the dumb folks who were so very “concerned” at the complex. She was someone’s mom, daughter, sister and they are of no help at all.

shannon04 says:

It just goes to show that these people still live in “fairytale land”. They actually believed that because of where they lived, nothing could ever happen there???

tashabgood says:

You can have all the gates and cameras where you live but if someone wants to commit a crime they will… I wonder if the boyfriend is co operating with the police?

Al-Ameera says:

I mean not trying to be funny, but did they really think because of the neighborhood they were exempt from crime? Do people really still think like that?

Ok, I guess it’s me

dani818 says:

This is sooo sad that people aren’t concerned about how she died but where she died. I am praying for her children especially and her family. May God be with them.

BrealistiK says:

@Alana comment #2

Why does it have to be drug related? Murders are committed during robberies,for insurance, to silence someone, get people out of their lives. There are lots of reasons besides drugs. Crime is crime. The varying degrees of crime is not exempt from any race, financial status or home location. Crime happens every where and every day. I :pray: this family find out what happened to their love one. Hopefully, there will be prosecution and justice served.

Thando says:

At least black killers do it in the open and can get tracked down and thrown in jail ASAP and they rarely kill soomeone who is not involved in one way or the other…. Now their white neighbours on the other hand may have dead bodies buried in the garden, bodies in freezers, bodies under beds and sex slaves in the basements…just for the fun of it or coz a ‘voice’ told them to.

May her soul rest in peace and may our communities learn to do better.

starr says:

Al-Ameera says:

Ok, I guess it’s me

*************

I was on a blog once where folks were commenting on story about robbers bursting into a family’s home. And one of the commenters question how can someone just burst into someone’s how like that. So yes….ppl do think like that smh

Thando says:

—————————

Lawd, forgive me for laughing at this comment. :(

Alana says:

@brealistik

I’m from Detroit and watched enough episodes of “first 48″ to have a hunch of when something may be drug related. The fact that the police said it was not random let’s you know it was a hit. Whatever the cause may be this woman was a mother, daughter, friend, etc to a lot of people and deserves justice to be served.

aqtpie says:

This is so sad. My prayers and condolences go out to her friends, co-workers & family, especially her children. I pray they find whomever did this!!!!
    _________

Daisy says:

I have some friends from college who know her. So sad.

pointhimout says:

sad story, no matter it happened. i hate when random stuff happens to people and its categorized ‘wrong place, wrong time’ typically.

KWALL did you know her?

Zephyr1979 says:

Wow. It seems that the ppl who live there are more shocked that it happened in their community rather than the shock of a human-being being killed. Wow…

ryand91 says:

Thanks for posting this story, Sandra. I live in NC, so I’ve been seeing a lot about this story. I really think the boyfriend killed her, but that’s only my theory. But my thoughts and prayers are with her family.

kwall says:

Yes @ Point I knew her. Think I will be feeling a lifetime of regret b/c she was one of those friends you lose touch with and then bump into somewhere in town…and promise to get up with, or go have a cup of coffee with, friend them on FB, etc. and just never do. I had spoken to her a few weeks ago and seen her out and about two months ago…and well…now it will never be.

Our kids are the same ages. She had two boys the exact same ages as my two girls. We used to tease each other ALL the time and say we were gonna be related by marriage one day through our 15 yo’s. She used to tell me that WE was gonna hafta foot the wedding bill b/c the brides folks supposed to pay for the wedding…lmao. “Y’all saved for these kids 2025 wedding yet..??? You best get ON it!”

She was awesome. And smart. And funny.

kwall says:

@17 where are you sis…?? another nc native! well howdy. i am GLUED to the tv…i mean GLUED at all the news intervals (noon, 6 p.m., 11 p.m.) for any kind of update on what happened to quay.

but i already have that feeling too. one story stated that the police will not even release his name…that right there is suspect for real. i used to work at the paper and the name of who found the body, who was the last person to see someone alive, whether they are accused or NOT is ALWAYS released.

ryand91 says:

@kwall, currently I reside in Greensboro but I’m at home in Roanoke Rapids for the weekend. What about you?

kwall says:

I live in Knightdale outside of Raleigh and I work in Durham. SMALL WORLD!!!

How is this urban violence/crime? Was that stated bc the victim was black? Urban and black are not synonymous.

Anywho…I hope the find the murderer!

attorneymom says:

Some folks are incredible. #racism

RIP ZaQuavia Kingsberry.

What a terrible tragedy! RIP ZaQuavia….

I hope whoever did this is brought to justice.

securityone says:

This is a sad story and I hope they find out who did it….BUT lets be honest, there ARE less violent crimes in upscale areas than in urban areas. And if I lived in a low violent crime area and my neighbor was shot and killed, black or white, I would be concerned. WE ALL WOULD. But I agree with Sandra…it’s a shame that AJC, a news outlet, is making the story more about the upset residents and not the victim. That’s who we should be pissed at.

winenroses says:

It’s sad to say but crimes against people perceived to have money have

always drawn more attention than crimes against the ‘DaQwon’s & Quita’s’

of the world. I guess the media figures nobody really gives a damn about

the average Black person dying. And as little noise as we make when these

crimes occur, maybe they’re right. If White people were being murdered

at the rate Black people are, the National Guard would be patrolling

our streets 24/7.

SouthernPrincess says:

Sandra, thanks for posting this story on your site.
    I didn’t know the young lady who was killed but this story was covered by our local news (raleigh/durham). I sincerly pray that they find whomever is responsible for this. Who ever did this has no idea of the turmoil, hurt and pain her family is going through.
    Since she is from here our news is focusing on the person NOT where she died and that is a huge difference. This lady was loved and respected by many…May God bless her family during this difficult time

luvly1957 says:

OK I don’t want to be the only negative one here and kwall don’t hate on me but they are saying she was a drug carrier and had been arrested before on this same charge. Not saying that’s why she died and the AJC and news media did really make a big deal of where she died and the residents. They too are looking at the boyfriend but the police said he had a pretty air tight albi. But RIP and no one should ever die the way she did it was senseless and violent.

omina-homina says:

It’s interesting how they haven’t released the “boyfriend’s” name, as well as the name of the other guy who entered the building with them, then later exited the building with just the ‘boyfriend’.

It’s also interesting that her closest friends know nothing about this ‘boyfriend’.

I want to know whether or not the boyfriend was white.

Also, the building has airtight security, people have to be buzzed in. So the person who killed her had accessed, and likely lived there.

They haven’t mentioned talking to the ‘other guy’.

An Atlanta news reporter said she checked her facebook and was on the phone with a friend back in NC right before she was killed.

SnootyPooty1 says:

So sad…. I hope they find who did this……crime and murders occur every where it just occurs in certain areas more than others……

Anna says:

Al-Ameera says:

Ok, I guess it’s me
    ~~~~~~~
    It’s not just you. Ppl really do think that where they live gives them a pass from crime. Why do women go to the gym/spa and wonder why the purse they left on the seat of their car w/all their credit cards and money stolen. Ppl wonder why they bothered moving to the burbs if they can’t leave their house/car doors unlocked and wake up to find their vehicle stolen. It’s sad but ppl who live in the Burbs get surprised when a Swat Team is on their block because a meth lab is operating next door, or their neighbor is accused of funneling money to terrorist. I am talking about my city and the ppl who do not live that far from my zip code. Crime is everywhere. People have a false sense of security that crime and drugs are only in “The Hood”. I feel safer in my hood than I do the burbs. The security/police in the burbs act like it’s Wild, Wild West time and if you don’t look like you fit in they will run your azz out of Dodge.
    R I P to ZaQuavia. After reading this story It makes me wonder if they are trying to keep those living there not to break their leases, and the bf is white and they don’t wish to identify him at this time. Sounds like whomever the bf is, he is “lawyering up”.

aqtpie says:

:ashamed: Ducks because I would be the first to say that the subdivision (East Cobb) I live in thought it was a big deal last summer when two cars were broken into and if something like a murder happened three houses down from mine, I’d definitely be surprised not because I believe my area is exempt from crimes but because we haven’t experienced anything other than two cars being broken into in the last 8 going on 9 years.

@omina-homina – excellent points!!!

pointhimout says:

i think the boyfriend is a “suspect” but just hasn’t been told such as of this writing. I couldn’t find anything on him (name). NC has been showing so much love to her. The write ups have all been positive and just highlight the bad and good of her life and how she turned things around for herself. very sad story because it happened period, not cuz of where it happened.

KWALL, thx for sharing mami. I hope all are holding up as best they can. Buckhead’s all up on a busline. I can’t see why they would think crime can’t happen there. It’s like people who live in gated communities wondering how things happen in their communities. Um, mf’s can hop a fence, come in with someone else, etc. Stop with the false sense of security people. Please.

So does this well to do building have security cameras? Was she alone when boyfriend left? Did boyfriend really ever leave? No one heard gun shots? Did boyfriend do this, then return 2 hours later to say “found her?” So many questions, and I’ve never met this lady. Sad.

indesign18 says:

what’s up Kwall (us raleigh folks)! My condolences on your friend! It is strange that they are reporting in ATL that she is a drug carrier when here in Raleigh (where she lives, she was just visiting when killed) that she is worker for a nonprofit for homeless and battered woman. She was loved and respected on her job according to her supervisor. The boyrfriend sounds real suspect to me, it may been for him and she got caught in the crossfire! But mostly please pray for her kids and family!

LadyLew says:

“I feel safer in my hood than I do the burbs.”
    Gotta agree with this Anna. Atleast there u know the people living next door to you and mostly what they got going on. In the burbs u dnt knw ya neighbor at all.

RIP ZaQuavia

Ace says:

When you hear the word “Urban” whats the first thing you think of?

Black? Hiphop? City? Rap?

Since when is MURDER consider a URBAN crime? because it happened to a black person?

gawd so many questions…

RIP ZK I hope they find the killer…

free says:

i’m sorry for the young lady but, on the strength of buckhead, they are going to keep this quiet. if it were clayco or dekalb, we’d know every detail as it comes to light but most of these other areas keep their **** to themselves. i have coworkers in every county and crime and trouble in the schools are nothing new; we just don’t hear about them like we do in the predominantly black counties.

free says:

13 aqtpie says: Yes they pay A LOT of money where they live but I’m sure they would have thought the same thing ““It’s a safe community. You say that it could never happen, but it happened three doors down from me.” if it were a white person killed. I took it to mean they aren’t use to crimes of such caliber committed in their community, not that they are exempt from such crimes happening in their community.

*****************************************************************

basically. and at the time of the interviews, nobody knew any details. cops later found that it wasn’t random. nothing wrong with them being alarmed or outraged about it. everybody doesn’t have to just roll over and get used to it like we have.

biglegs36 says:

Yes people still believe that because they live in a nice area that they will not be a victim of any type of crime. I live in Indianapolis(NAPTOWN), and when something happens in a nice area. The first thing those dumbass do is get on tv and say “i can’t believe this happened in my area”. Why is that? Your area is protected by a crime free bubble dome! Crime doesn’t dicriminate. It can happen to anyone and anywhere! These silly ass people here, leave their doors unlocked and windows open. Their picture windows display everything they own because they don’t close their curtains. Crimmals look for idiots like that everyday!

Sorry she lost her life. May she rest in peace. I hope they find her killer.

ggouch says:

WOW!! My heart goes out to her children, to her mother and family!! I hope the AJC corrects it self and reports the more important aspects of this story: This lose of this mother, and what law enforcement is doing about solving her murder. It saddens me that the “DISTICTIVE APT COMPLEX” and the pretensious tenants who are threating to end their leases was the focus.

I am concerned about the use of the word “URBAN”……It tells a different story

brucebaner1 says:

This apartment complex cannot be that “upscale” with all those young adults……..At the end of the day its an apartment complex, this means all types of people come and go. Those fools will probably break their leases and move to another apartment >:(

ohpretty1 says:

free says:

——————————————————–

:cosign: When we moved to the burbs, there was always police activity on what appeared to be our ‘quiet’ street, and this was a predominantly white area. Everything from domestic violence to drug raids…NEVER on the news. My neighbors did have the ‘it can’t happen here’ attitude. I remember at one HOA meeting, we talked about all of the home invasions on our street. Our house, thank God, was the only home not broken into. People were saying things like “I’ve never had to lock my doors” and “I pay our alarm company every month but we’ve never used it in six years.” WTF? Crime doesn’t have boundaries…period.

lou says:

This doesn’t surprise me…..my Cousin, who is James Brown’s Ex-Son In Law was killed in an “upscale gated apartment complex” in Buckhead in 2008…Someone was in his garage; the same garage you have to have a code to get into…Shot him when he entered and was getting out of the car…it doesn’t matter where you live anymore….As far as I know, as of today, they still haven’t found the killer; now mind you, he had a lot going on in his business and personal life, but they haven’t even found who did it! The killer is still out there and he isn’t. Let’s hope this doesn’t happen to this victim……