Medical Minute: A Cure for the Common Cold (and HIV)?

Doctors at Cambridge have made a remarkable new discovery that could mean a cure for the common cold virus. The new discovery could also signal the end of AIDS since HIV, which causes AIDS, is also a virus.

Medical students have always been taught that the virus, which causes twice as many deaths as cancer, could not be killed once it enters the body’s cells. Therefore, the virus was believed to be immune to the body’s own defenses and to our most powerful antibiotics and anti-viral drugs.

But not any more.

A study by a team of researchers from the world-famous Laboratory of Molecular Biology in Cambridge has shown that this textbook explanation of the limits of the human immune system is wrong because anti-viral antibodies can in fact enter the cell with the invading virus where they are able to trigger the rapid destruction of the foreign invader.

In a dramatic breakthrough that could affect millions of lives, scientists have been able to show for the first time that the body’s immune defences can destroy the common cold virus after it has actually invaded the inner sanctum of a human cell, a feat that was believed until now to be impossible.

The discovery opens the door to the development of a new class of antiviral drugs that work by enhancing this natural virus-killing machinery of the cell. Scientists believe the first clinical trials of new drugs based on the findings could begin within two to five years.

28 Responses to “Medical Minute: A Cure for the Common Cold (and HIV)?”

ySoSerious says:

First. Yay me. :grin:

Morning SR friends and neighbors; lurkers and workers. :yahoo:

Ace says:

Why am i skeptical…? :coffee:

Good morning Fam…

Kitrina says:

The reason why the cure for the common cold and HIV is hard to find is b/c the virus mutates so fast.

OHoney says:

Good morning all.
    I can only imagine how much this could cost. :think:

CWhatsHerFace says:

Hmmmmmmmmm! :waiting:

Cariblife says:

This is a great breakthrough, but wasn’t there an article a while back that stated this man was able to “cure” his HIV with a combination of radiation and some other kind of therapy he was undergoing??

Either way, this is great news, at least now there is some hope of possibly getting rid of viruses, at least temporarily.

Anna says:

Ace says:

Why am i skeptical…?

Good morning Fam…

~~
    GM. I too am skeptical. I thought this world purposely tries not to find cures for some ailments in order to scare us into getting their(the govt)shots, which I never bought into the HINI(Swine Flu)Shot.

Str8Cpt says:

*Sigh* Not the medical minute I was hoping for :waiting:

whatdoesitmatter says:

interesting, :coffee:

lakercrazy says:

GOOD MORNING SR FAM :waves: HOPE THEY DO FIND A CURE

WUTWUZINDAT!? says:

good Morning Everybody

This is interesting I will play the wait and see role.

Ace says:

“Medical students have always been taught that the virus, which causes twice as many deaths as cancer”

Um…last time i heard…AIDS virus had a 0% mortality rate.. My aunt had HIV\AIDs for 8 years…and Pneumonia is what eventually killed her.

meanNsurly says:

Sandra I emailed u about this like 2-3 months ago. It was all over the radio here in ATL and on CNN. I really did email u that with a link and it was never posted. HMPH…..I’m not feeling the love Sandra.

CFREE says:

I’ve always believed they already had a cure anyway :coffee:

Ace says:

CFREE says:

I’ve always believed they already had a cure anyway :coffee:
    —————————————————————

they tested it on Magic Johnson…but paid him to say he still has it…

ySoSerious says:

Ace says:

*********************************************************
    Exactly. The AIDS virus doesn’t kill you; it just weakens your immune system and lets other shyt do the real dirty work of finally killing you.

And like Chris Rock said in Bigger & Blacker; the money ain’t in the cure, it’s in the treatment.

@ Str8

You know Auntie ain’t gonna do no Medical Minute on Rhi Riding Hood’s herp lips. :nono:

CFREE says:

Ace says:

CFREE says:

I’ve always believed they already had a cure anyway
    —————————————————————

they tested it on Magic Johnson…but paid him to say he still has it…

Magic Johnson was the 1st person that came to mind when I saw this post. I really do believe that

Ace says:

CFREE says:

Ace says:

CFREE says:

I’ve always believed they already had a cure anyway
    —————————————————————

they tested it on Magic Johnson…but paid him to say he still has it…
    ———————————————————————-
    ———————————————————————-

Eric Wright is diagnosed…5yrs later hes gone…Magic is diagnosed..20yrs later he hasn’t so much as a runny nose….conspiracy?

MissHarlem says:

LMAO @ YSO I was gonna go there but I am gonna leave STR8 alone

Cariblife says:

I feel like there is so much more to this virus than they are letting on. They may have a cure but since the retroviral drugs are making money they wouldn’t let the cure out, but then again you just never know.

ySoSerious says:

@ Miss H

That’s because you’re much nicer than me. :lol:

CFREE says:

@ACE, Things that make u go hmmm…

Ms. Thickness says:

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE,

ACE…AS LONG AS YOU TAKE YOUR MEDS YOU CAN LIVE A LONG TIME WITH THE VIRUS..BUT SINCE THE IMMUNE SYSTEM IS LOW WHEN PNEUMONIA STRIKES THE BODY CANT FIGHT IT OFF WHICH EVENTUALLY ENDS IN DEATH… MY AUNT HAD IT FOR A WHILE AND EVENTUALLY SHE DIED. WHEN YOU HEAR THE MOST PEOPLE DIED OF PNEUMONIA…THEY NORMALLY HAD THE HIV/AIDS VIRUS.

jazzyiest says:

WOW!!! Thanks for bringing this to us Sandra. I like to follow these stories b/c I really have a feeling that scientists are getting super close to finding the cure for HIV. I was following a story a few months back where they found antibodies in a 60 year old african american gay male already ridden with HIV that neutralize 91% of HIV strains. They said there was nothing particularly special about this man that they could find and that his body NATURALLY produced the antibodies. I was so excited about it that I was in tears! Great, great read! Thanks again for the article.

Ace my dad was diagnosed and dead in exactly one year to the day. Aids may not kill but it destroys your immune system to the point that anything else you get will smh. Its the worst way to die

I believe like I always have they have a cure but aren’t giving it to the ones who need it because its reducing the population in mostly minority communities and they make money off the drugs and research being put in to fight it. Its a win win for the government til it affects them

Pneumonia doesn’t just kill aids patients… cancer patients, those with existing lung problems, the other 100’s of immune diseases that aren’t aids/hiv, healthy kids and babies, old folks, healthy adults die from pneumonia. Pneumonia is a killer disease because of the fact that it fills your lungs with bacteria filled fluid, yes those who are already sick are more at risk of it being fatal but no way in hell is it mostly aids patients

Choco says:

I’m not surprised it was Scientists who created the virus HIV/AIDS…

DragonLeo says:

I am so mad right now. Cause everytime I think about a cure for a disease, I think of Will Smith in I AM LEGEND. I don’t want people to turn into zombies or something. Thanks Will Smith for feedin my fears.