Fulton County Jail inmate shoots fellow inmate

The overpopulated and understaffed Fulton County jail remained on lock down for most of the day Tuesday following reports that an inmate shot a fellow inmate.

According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, the Fulton County Jail released few details about the shooting incident, which occurred around 11:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Jail spokesman Tracy Flanagan did confirm that an unidentified inmate was shot once in the hand by a fellow inmate. This report conflicted with an earlier statement from a sheriff’s deputy inside the jail who told the AJC that the inmate was shot three times.

The alleged shooter was identified as Kortez Hurt, who has an extensive rap sheet, including 14 prior convictions for felony murder, aggravated assault, drug possession and theft charges.

Flanagan did not say how Hurt was able to obtain the small caliber handgun that was “no bigger than a mobile phone.”

According to the AJC, a sweep of the jail turned up 20 cell phones, in addition to other contraband, which the inmates are not allowed to have. (The AJC later edited its website to remove any mention of the cell phones.)

Jail officials said the two inmates were involved in a dispute over the commissary (money). The shooting may also be gang related. The injured inmate was initially treated by jail medical personnel. His injuries are said to be non life threatening.

Immediately after the shooting, the jail went on lock down and all non-essential staff and food service workers were ordered out of the building. As the growing media assembled outside the jail, deputies were seen bringing refreshments and food to the food service workers as they waited in 90 degree temperatures in the parking lot.

In 2002, a federal judge ordered Fulton County to fix overcrowding and other problems at the jail after HIV-positive defendants complained of poor medical conditions endangering their lives. Overcrowding and security remains a problem at the jail.

124 Responses to “Fulton County Jail inmate shoots fellow inmate”

mrsloveleigh says:

they are clowning in these jails. If they can get cellphones,drugs, and guns no telling what else they can get. That’s why I don’t visit folks in jail :no:

Tatted Diva says:

How in’da heyul did this muthaflucka get a handgun in the jail??? This shyt is unfathomable! :no:

You just can’t worry about getting :shank: in jail, now you have’ta worry about getting :shotsfired:

tiffany.esq says:

good morning!! :newbie:

WUTWUZMISSIN! says:

How da, Who da, what da… Dis chit here when you ain’t even safe from being shot… in jail? :hahaha:

yvonne79 says:

Yes, I for one would like to know how the inmate came into possession of the firearm. If they were able to get cell phones in, I’m pretty sure the gun came in the same way. Just my theory…. :coffee:

On another note, does an inmate have a right to complain about the conditions of jail? Receiving poor medical treatment? Rhetorical question……

eastpointvet says:

yeah they have access to pretty much everything which explains lil boosie twit pic from jail

Anna says:

@Tatted. I was thinking the same thing. I thought you only had to worry about being shanked or raped. How does one smuggle a gun in jail? Never mind, I don’t want to know.

GAGIRL87 says:

#whogiveafu*uck about this bullchit :rolleyes:

:offtopic: Sandra can you please post about the daycare center in Clayton County leaving a two year old little girl in the daycare van for three hours while they were on a field trip @ chuck e cheese and she died btw… :(

Tatted Diva says:

@ Anna……I WAS THINKING ALL YOU JUST SAID BUT THERE IS NOT A EMOTICON FOR RAPED or sex and we both know being raped is not the same as flucking? :rofl:

Tatted Diva says:

@ WUT….hey babycakes. :kiss: (tongue & all)

Anna says:

@Gaggirl87. How sad, but the first thing you do on a field trip is a head count, while getting kids in and out of a vehicle.

FoxE says:

Morning everyone! :waves:

@Yvonne
    I think they have the “right” to live in a safe environment including getting medical treatment. Otherwise dont they consider that cruel & unusal punishment or something :shrug:

Have you heard about a guy who robbed a bank for $1, so he can go to jail and get the medical treatment he needs :no:

RatchetFree says:

28 with 14 Felonies=RATCHET!!!!!

mrsloveleigh says:

Gagirl that was a horrible story. I worked at a daycare for many years and the proper procedure is to get the kids off the bus and then do a row by row sweep. Car rides make little ones sleepy so it’s important to go look. I was adamant about counting heads and checking each row

RatchetFree says:

Good Mornting to all I haven’t greeted!! :waves:

free says:

if you’re gonna pop one off, let it be in defense of your life or *ss. why you gonna use a weapon like that over some damn potato chips or something? bu the bigger questions is….why is this n****a not in PRISON?

@ Alex….glad you made it safely from Target….. :yes:

yvonne79 says:

@FoxE: I do agree that denying adequate basic medical care to innates would be inhumane but what kind of treatment are the prisoners expecting? Maybe additional details will come as the story developes…

FoxE says:

@Gagirl

I read about that… How do you forget a 2 year old? Who was in charge?
    :think: I wonder if they had the proper kid to adult ratio…

ALBoy says:

Morning Pimphand Gary I spoke to you in the other post :coffee:

mrsloveleigh says:

Morning beauties :waves:
    Wut
    Tatted
    Fayla
    Mirs
    Laker
    Ratchet
    O’honey we’ve never spoken but it’s just something about your gravie I like

RatchetFree says:

@Tatted
    Didn’t do any shopping. I just went in a got the popcorn and drink combo. They always get me with the smell. :popcorn: :koolaid2:

free says:

GAGIRL87 says: Sandra can you please post about the daycare center in Clayton County leaving a two year old little girl in the daycare van for three hours while they were on a field trip @ chuck e cheese and she died btw…

**********************************************

my husband has employees who have children/grandchildren that go to this place and they had good things to say about it. i heard this morning that she left a juvenile with the responsiblitiy of getting the kids out the van. smdh.

FoxE says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I heard that Fox…..I even seen his interview AND THE FUNNY THING IS, I wasn’t too far off from agreeing w/that old bastard! It’s a shame when you can go to prison and get taken care of better than when you’re on the street w/no job! And the bishes in prison be talking ’bout the living conditions as if they’re suppose to be living @ the Four Season….INHALE, CHEW, EAT & SWALLOW A PHUCKING DYCK!

RatchetFree says:

@AL
    And I told u in that post, u better cut that shyt out!!! I saw that shyt. How the hell am I going to be Gary and Miguel?!? :shotsfired:

Heeeeey Loveleigh :kiss:

@ Alex….I KNOW THAT’S RIGHT! Bish use to love when my mom had to go to Target or even this store we use to have called Hills! Straight wanted the popcorn, the slushies & the ride on the .25 play horse outside!

Good times man, good times! :yes:

ALBoy says:

@ TAt Fox Yvonne Wut Err body What up Yall! :yes: <— Head Nod

change says:

:offtopic:

That Jill Scott CD is the BIZNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

:whistle:
    There’s power in those rolling hills

Banana says:

Morning :waves:

Hmmmm I always thought the whole point of jail was that you lose your freedom…. these niggaz in jail getting free room and board and still doing whatever they feel

RatchetFree says:

@Tatted
    Do you still ride on the .25 horse outside? :waiting:

Tatted Diva says:

:waves: Wut it do Al????!!!!

RatchetFree says:

@Change
    The Jill Scott cd is next in rotation. Checking out this new Jagged Edge album now. But I heard Jill gets a lil nasty with this one.

mrsloveleigh says:

I can’t wait to get that Jill Scott!!!! Loving my Kandi and Marsha A right now. Caught the Maxwell storytellers this weekend…so swoon worthy

Ms. YaYa says:

Good Morning Everybody, I had a neighbor that worked in the prison system and she was the one bringing in the contraband for the prisoners as well as :hump: them

@ Alex Ummmmm, only if it’s a female horse! :hump:

*gittyup, gittyup, gittyup now* (Player’s Club Style on them Bishes)

Me too, Luscious….

It’s like the best shyt….just salty enough & just buttery enough!

ALBoy says:

:lol: I swear when I saw that pic I was Like Alex Made It! I think Pimphand Gary is respectful and fitting :coffee:

mrsloveleigh says:

Alex I read an article the other day about Jill’s top ten sexy lyrics and I realized Jill is a freak lol!! sings :whistle:
    spread my limbs across continents :whistle:

pointhimout says:

1st off, majority of the jail is black..you people are always hustling and tryna make an extra nickle on the side. So it’s no surprise he got a gun, and other inmates get cell phones, weed, pills, etc. The CO’s helping them out. Brian Nichols wasn’t in a month and had a cell phone soon after.

I need a CO contact cuz them fools in there will pay 3-500 for a $20 cell phone.

But no, I wasn’t surprised at this story at all. Actually kinda bitter than I can’t figure out how to get my hustle flowing inside.

RatchetFree says:

@AL
    *side eye*

Banana says:

@Ms YaYa man I hope your neighbor was wrapping it up while was :hump: them

:typing:

*applying on-line for Luscious’ vacant job post*

mrsloveleigh says:

YaYa says: Good Morning Everybody, I had a neighbor that worked in the prison system and she was the one bringing in the contraband for the prisoners as well as them

Wooow..always amazed at the women who meet men in prison and view them as a good catch.>WTF

yvonne79 says:

Hey AlBoy! :kiss:

ALBoy says:

@ Tatt It makes you run and It changes Lives :coffee:

change says:

@ratchet

I’m going to get Jagged Edge today, I listened to it yesterday.. I just can’t stop listening to Ms. Jill, I love music that sounds like they had a live band in the studio.

@ Al……There’s not a day go by, is there? I swear!!! :rofl:

Milf-n-Cookies says:

How in the fluck do you leave a child in a van for 3 hrs? :wail:

Drugs, cellphones & weapons in the jailhouse? Time to check ya staff

BTW

:newbie:

RatchetFree says:

Speaking of live bands…….I had a great time at the Maze and Frankie Beverly concert this wkend!!!!
    :whistle:
    Joyyyyyyyy and Pain
    Like Sunshine and Rain

MIZZ.I_REP_ATL says:

GAGIRL87 says:
    “Sandra can you please post about the daycare center in Clayton County leaving a two year old little girl in the daycare van for three hours while they were on a field trip @ chuck e cheese and she died btw… ”
    ————
    Yeah Sandra, Im surprised you haven’t post this up yet. Usually, you be on top of these “Loca Top Stories”, but u slipped on this one.

As far as this topic…Nothing surprise me when it goes down on Rice St.

FoxE says:

@AL :hug:

@Tatted ikr, I was like damn he’s making alot of sense. Funny thing is he said he needs to be in there for 2-3 years until he’s able to collect his Social security. If he’s out before then he will rob another place. :lol: #Determined

Sup Milf!

Tatted aren’t you spoken for already?!?!?!?!?!?!

He probably hid it in his behind.

Ratchet I’m goin to see them in Aug, I think that’s when they’ll be here

pointhimout says:

yeah, that baby in the van story was horrible. We gots to do better. I thought it was a repeat story, but damn, it wasn’t.

pointhimout says:

@ 55, YOU RANG???

Tatted Diva says:

@ Luscious – I was just looking for another job. I’m ambitious, want to be successful!! If that means working 2 jobs…………… :yes:

jazzyiest says:

So basically you’re safer on the streets than you ever will be in jail.

Note to self: Stay on the right side of the law. :yes:

ALBoy says:

@ Milf :welcome:
    where you from
    how you make your money
    kids
    If you could give It to anybody who would it be
    sex
    lurk timeFav Sr Member
    Fav Celeb
    Is head a Special Gift or a Greeting? :coffee:
    WHat is your wildest Fantasy? <—- things that friends should know about one another

!*LaKErCHiC@*! says:

DAM :blink:

Welcome, Milf…….

Tatted
    this job requires too much overtime for you to be able to work another job

ALBoy says:

Officer Jazzy Atlanta CSI whats going on beautiful? :coffee:

jazzyiest says:

Where’s my new gravi?!?!? :mad:

yvonne79 says:

Check Jazzy out giving us her bedroom eyes… :thumbsup:

RatchetFree says:

@Jazzy
    Apparently there is no right side of the law. :shrug:

jazzyiest says:

Hey Al & everyone else! :waves:

I’m trying to figure out why my new gravi isn’t up!! :mad: :cuss:

jazzyiest says:

@ Yvonne

Thank you boo! That means you guys can see it but I can’t.

RatchetFree says:

@Jazzy
    I see your new gravi!! :yes: Time to get reacquainted on the roof.

@Yvonne
    U not speaking, ma? :waiting:

jazzyiest says:

@ Ratchet

Hahahaha! I know right?!? It’s been a looooooong time.

doubleaa says:

:waves: Good Morning everyone!!

Tatted Diva says:

Luscious, that’s discrimination. You fired me BEFORE you hired me! I’m suing! :huh:

!*LaKErCHiC@*! says:

SEE YALL LATERZ :waves:
    @AL LOLITA AND MIRSM HIT ME ON THE UNDER

Damn yall jumping threads quick on a nigga today.

jazzyiest says:

@ Al

Is head a Special Gift or a Greeting?
    _________________________________________________________________________

A special gift! I know that question wasn’t for me but I just wanted to share.

NICE GRAVI JAZZY! :wink:

:whistle:
    Bedroom eyes, head back to the siiiiide
    Pleeease don’t be so mean!!
    Head to Toe, I knooooooooow!
    (Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam)

Tatted I was simply tellin you the requirements for this position. If you don’t meet those requirements/qualifications then that’s not my fault

yvonne79 says:

Alex!!! Hey there sweet cheeks…. (booty pinch)

@Tatted
    I’m a lawyer on the side…just in case u wanna file that discrimination suit. :rules:

@ Luscious – :ido:

jazzyiest says:

@ Tatted

Thank you mama. :boobs:

Dee1127 says:

Good morning everyone! :)

@ GAGIRL87: While sad, that happens a lot more often than you realize. Last year, over 50 kids died of hyperthermia (heat stroke) after being left in hot cars. The people who left them in the cars include doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc. :(

DEE-LICIOUS!

Tatted not if you’re curently employed :coffee:

ELove says:

@mrsloveleigh
    LQQKING at your Gravi… I ASKED myself IF somebody told me I’ll win an Oscar & Earn UNTOLD SUMS of MONEY but I would have to do a Character that is ONE of the UGLIEST Females EVER Imaginable AND IT WOULD FOLLOW Me THROUGHOUT MY ENTIRE LIFE :blink:

I WOULD kindly PASS ON THAT (Word…) :coffee:

GOOD Morning Everybody !!!

What up Elove! *head nod*

Dee1127 says:

Luscious!! How you be today?

ALBoy says:

Good Morning Dee you looking real good :yes:

ELove says:

Whaddup Alex ** Tip of the Hat To YOU ** :yes:

Dee1127 says:

Well Hello there AlBoy, how’s your morning going?

Tatted Diva says:

Okay, Luscious….I’m withdrawing my application. I would’ve been a great asset to your organization, but I understand!

Dee I’m good, how are you

Hello Dee!!! You look sooo…….studious and umm…..enticing. :yes:

ALBoy says:

@Dee really well then your gravi made it even better how bout you

Well hello there Dee….We’ve never met. My name is Tatted… :pacifier:

pointhimout says:

66, but if the job is allowing you to work OT, why get a second job? the time/half will be more and you’d be working less hours?????

ELove says:

Ms. Sandra (comment #88)
    Occupation is Meaningless regarding that because ANYBODY who does stuff LIKE THAT are INDIVIDUALS who really DON’T CARE about Their Kids (Real…)

A Father let his 15 year old Daughter DRIVE HIS CAR after she asked him around at 12:15AM … The Daughter picked up HER FRIEND (Also a TEEN…) & The Daughter let HER DRIVE… They had a Accident, The Daughter DIED and the Friend WHO WAS DRIVING Survived :blink:

If MY DAUGHTER at 15 asked ME that same EXACT REQUEST… I would’ve TOLD HER to take her AZZ back to SLEEP and if you EVER asked me such a Ridiculous Question AGAIN I’m sending you to Boarding School :coffee:

Dee1127 says:

@Alboy nice to see that i could be of assistance for a better morning for you :)

Hi Alex, nice to meet you!

Tatted, pleasure to meet you sweetie, I’m Dee

Tatted Diva says:

@ Dee….. Good, good! There’s no more need for talking, Dee. NO MORE NEED!

JUST KIDDING!

Great to meet you!

@Point
    thank you for pointin that out to her!

Tatted Diva says:

@point……I GOT IT, I GOT IT! I withdraw my appl, dayum! UUUUGH!

mrsloveleigh says:

Al says: Is head a Special Gift or a Greeting?

LMAO it’s mos def a special gift

mrsloveleigh says:

Lot’s of newbies today!! welcome everyone

PrytiBrownIs says:

Morning everybody
    they get this stuff in jail by the same guards who do the searches and bust them. its like when i was a kid my dad would let me eat all types of junk n would say if ur mother catches u imma act like i have no knowledge of this

mirsmommy says:

SMH. That’s crazy, but it’s the damn CO’s that are bringing this stuff in there for them.

its real in the ATL… told yall n*ggas aint playin outchea

Ms. YaYa says:

@ Pryti – You’re exactly right because when my neighbor was doing it she said another guard turned her on to it. They are getting paid by the inmate or a family member of the inmate to smuggle in the contraband

And if Fulton county jails are “underemployed” then they need to transfer some of them mofos from dekalb county to fulton…. Dekalb county is OVER-employed x2. They keepin n*ggas in check on the east side forreal….

DMisses says:

This is just shameful smh the entire staff at that prison should be fired including the warden! Something like this never would’ve happened at a penitentiary in Texas or Louisiana, it’s obvious the inmates in Fulton county jail have way too much freedom if they have access to cell phones and handguns. I watch this show called Border Wars that comes on National Geographic and they are always busting people for trying to smuggle items into prisons, majority of the time it’s the guards that do it but they don’t show you that, I have family locked up so I know better. They’re overworked and underpaid and if an inmate has money and is willing to buy whatever they want their willing to get it for them.

PrytiBrownIs says:

yea my friends brother is in jail and hes tweetin n send pics n stuff. the reg phones cost $500…web access on them cos $650 and a camera phone is like $900-1000. and all the guards have to do is bust them every once in a while and they have to pay all over again.

speakinmymind says:

…identified as Kortez Hurt…

why did i read his name as KOTEX??

prynsexxx says:

Kortez HURT?

Yall know the saying “HURT people, hurt people”. How fitting.

@Elove says #102:

_________________________________

Whats wrong with boarding school? LOL….My daughter in fact ASKS me the question ALL THE TIME…..and guess what…..she IS in boarding school. LOL

ELove says:

@pryn
    MOST Kids don’t won’t to leave HOME but I KNOW Plenty of People who sent their KID to Boarding School and they WERE BETTER OFF (For It…) :yes:

free says:

DMisses says: Something like this never would’ve happened at a penitentiary in Texas or Louisiana, it’s obvious the inmates in Fulton county jail have way too much freedom if they have access to cell phones and handguns.

************************************

to be fair, they are in county jail, where TI filmed a damn video, not the pen. but i agree no way in hell this happens in TX or LA pen!

DMisses says:

@ free oh ok no wonder, thanks for the info!

Jay Bee says:

we are losing people.. He should have never been given the chance to committ the 11th prior cuz after the 3rd time..theres no hope to be rehabilitated… welcome to criminal college.com

ELove says:

Ohh And regarding that 15 year old… ONE of my relatives relayed that story to me and OF COURSE they were WRONG (Word…) It turns out the 15 year old Daughter STOLE her parents car and THIS wasn’t the 1st time she’d DONE THAT… Well It’s DEFINITELY Her LAST TIME Doing It :coffee:

shauna504 says:

:newbie:

the jail system is laughable, only one explination comes to mind, the got the gun from a gaurd….I mean really how can you sneek in a gun with out help from the gaurds. just my thoughts