GOP Sees Herman Cain as a ‘Black Man Who Knows His Place’

Once considered a source of amusement, presidential candidate Herman Cain is now the leading contender among the Republican presidential hopefuls. Cain has gained double digit leads over his competition because he is the antithesis of U.S. President Barack Obama.

Democratic strategist and MSNBC analyst Karen Finney says Cain’s meteoric rise in the political arena is no fluke.

On Martin Bashir’s television program yesterday, Finney said most Republicans feel comfortable with Cain because of his race.

“One of the things about Herman Cain is, I think that he makes [the] white Republican base of the party feel okay, feel like they are not racist because they can like this guy,” Finney said. “I think he’s giving that base a free pass. And I think they like him because they think he’s a black man who knows his place. I know that’s harsh, but that’s how it sure seems to me.”

“Thank you for spelling that out,” Bashir responded. Source

(bold emphasis mine)

The Weekly Standard blog points out that Cain’s supporters see him as a safer alternative to Barack Obama, whose narcissism and Muslim agenda quickly threw him out of favor with American voters.

During an online production of NBC’s Meet the Press this week, Democratic congressman Elijah Cummings of Maryland said white voters support Cain to show they aren’t racist. “I think when [members of the Tea Party] can vote for a Herman Cain and hear him say the things that he says they feel like, ‘Well, you know, I can, I support this guy and…so it shows that I’m not racist and I’m supportive,'” Cummings told host David Gregory.

Images courtesy of Newsweek.com

52 Responses to “GOP Sees Herman Cain as a ‘Black Man Who Knows His Place’”

Ms. Everything says:

I had a conversation with a white coworker about Herman Cain and why he would not be getting my vote and why a person being able to run a boardroom does not equal a person who can run a country. I just hope he doesn’t win, I really hope the American public is not that stupid (although they’ve shown they’re stupidity time and time again)

But as I’ve said before and I’m sure I’ll say again, it doesn’t matter if we elect a qualified politician or a ****er spaniel in a suit, if Congress doesn’t get their ish together it does not matter who is in the Oval office :coffee:

spongebobfan says:

is Canada taking new citizens?

Ms. Everything says:

btw: my republican white coworker was just as outraged as I was by his “I was too young to participate in the Civil Rights movement while I was a college student at Morehouse in the 60’s” and then went on to cite several cases of children arrested/killed during the movement and said she couldn’t understand how someone could sit by and watch and not do anything cause he was “too young”

RoderickXYZ says:

Cain is another black Republican bootlicker who uses race to his advantage and says things about blacks that some whites wished that they could say.

When Cain stated that because 90% of the black vote went to Democrats meant that black were brainwashed I am sure he did it to appease his Tea Party supporters.

ryand91 says:

Herman Cain is a pompous arse, end of story. He is not articulate in the slightest. Yes, he may be a savy businessman but politics and business are two totally different beasts. He backpedals on key issues and he doesn’t come off as a serious candidate at all.

spongebobfan says:

fact: the GOP candidates are all idiots that i wouldnt trust to run a kiosk at the mall, much less this country. obama 2012

RoderickXYZ says:

Ms. Everything, that’s the same way I felt about Condi Rice’s excuse for her father not participating in the Civil Rights movement.

She said that if he had her father might had killed someone.Seriously?

Ain’t no black man back in the 60’s going to raise his hand and assault a white person even if said white person assaulted him first.

Blacks like Herman Cain and Condi’s father didn’t participate in the Civil Rights struggle because they were either cowards or satisfied with the status quo.

Ms. Everything says:

@Roderick I won’t go so far as to call them cowards but that’s dependent on why they didn’t participate. I know there are those who didn’t participate because of various reasons, but were you active in the background, supporting those who were out there on the front lines marching and fighting or were you sitting back smiling to Massa and talking about how you’re happy in your place?? Something tells me Herman may have been in the smiling, happy group and I can not, will not support that. I need to look up Condi’s comments about her father because I had never heard that before

lovezoe says:

Hermain Cain is a token being used as a pawn to split the black vote. The GOP are saying,”Look, there are black people who agree with us!” At the end of the day, he won’t even get the nod for his party.

Noelle704 says:

Cain was born within the wrong race and time period! He’s so backward with his views and agenda.

100% usa made! says:

There is something about him, I can’t put my finger on it. Seems shady to me. I just don’t put my faith in politics or politicians. This flawed system is rigged to fail, to keep the poor uninformed and in a state of confusion and to keep the rich empowered and in a state of wealth.

brenden says:

@Lovezoe very true. However I doubt Black people are falling for it. If you were a Black republicn before, then so be it. However to think that Black folks are gonna vote repub because you throw a Black man on your ticket.smh That just goes to show how they think of you. You can hate me because I am Black,,,thats your right, but to doubt or question my intelligence…Yeah well the jokes on you…Good morning and happy Saturday btw :-) The longer this goes on, the more confident I am Obama will be reelected.

@RoderickXYZ did you used to end your post with XYZ out :think: Sometime ago I had this amazing conversation about Hollywood and the Screen Actors Guild and the Aftra take over with that person. I was amazed after all that to find out you weren’t even working in Hollywood, just very knowledgeable…Was that you?

sweetdaddy says:

republicans can give blk people the world. and blks still won’t vote for them.

RoderickXYZ says:

No, brenden, that was not me. I post on a lot of political blogs(Slate, the grio, the root, etc.) as just Roderick.

brenden says:

Ok thanks :-) I’m pretty sure that was a female, but the XYZ thing made me think it may have been you.

brenden says:

The longer this goes on, the more confident I am Obama will be reelected.

So, you’re not voting for the black man because he’s a Republican? :shrug:

sweetdaddy says:

republicans can give blk people the world. and blks still won’t vote for them.

:clap: Hear ye!

lovezoe says:

I will vote for the best person suited for the job. Party lines have nothing to do with it. I have agreed with many talking points of the GOP in the past. The fact is, the way they are arguing with such vitriol is sad. How can I vote for a party that doesn’t even know how to work together and has admitted they will sabotage each other just to split votes, get Dems out, delay voting, etc? Like someone said, unless Congress gets their act together, any president is just filing his nails.

brenden says:

@Sandrarose exactly :-) I don’t vote based on skin color. I vote is support of my political party. I’ve been a deomocrats since I was 18 :-) This is the party I can most identify with. Of course I’m much much much more liberal than my party, but what can you do :shrugs: So indeed, if it came down to Caine and a White democrat, my vote would be for the White democrat. Even if the democrat wasn’t as liberal as I’d like him/her to be…Im not a party jumper…Im no undecided voter…Who are nothing but a bunch of idiots who don’t know what the want, and rely on the media to sway their vote.smh. Who does that? You need someone else to tell you what you want, and how you should vote? That’s not me. And by no means am I like you tea partiers. Like I said you have a right to hate me, as I have a right to hate you, but don’t ever underestimate me!
    I’m just thankful to God that I’m not so deep in the forest that I can’t see (through) the trees ;-) That’s what Herman is, a big ol tree planted to shield from the light. A privacy hedge that’s not doing it’s job. I can still see you when you’re getting dressed in the morning.ha Enjoy ur weekend…

brenden says:

^in support not is support
    ^democrat not democrats
    forgive me please I’m on my phone. It’s not as easy as typing from a keyboard, and having a screen where you can see everything you type. Once I go past a certain amount of lines in my reply, I can no longer see the top of what I wrote to proof read :shrugs:

Fitness821 says:

Sandra, I’ve been lurking on your site for awhile. I just wanted to say that I have voted Republican once, so I don’t have a problem voting for them, but as Judge Judy stated “Don’t piss on my shoe and tell me it’s raining”. That’s how I feel about Herman Cain. I feel the Repubs think that blacks are truly foolish enough to vote for this man when he has no concern for blacks at all. Herman Cain is a businessman first and whatever else second. Republicans are about money and if you don’t have it and/or apart of the 1% that are rich they have no interest in your cause. Just my opinion.

lovezoe says:

I do agree with Brenden on many points. I am liberal hippie til death. I know this one dude I unfriended on FB that got himself a little government job and think he is a Republican. He was sounding quite dumb and all uneducated on issues. Crazy.

Ms. Everything says:

Sandra I’m a democrat but I also identify with Republicans on more than a few issues so I’ve never voted Democrat across the board. The man’s skin color, political affiliation has nothing to do with why he won’t get my vote just like Obama’s skin color had nothing to do with why he did. The man is a political idiot, a pawn, a plant placed just to sway voters and if pigs should happen to fly and he should be elected he will be nothing more than a figure head for a political agenda that is way deeper than him… kinda like Bush with a tan :coffee:

Daisy says:

I would vote for Colin Powell and he is black and republican :coffee:

I have said it before and I will say it again I HATE that we have a two party system (with the Independent party rising and growing stronger) I just want somebody to run as a candidate on the principles they believe in. I agree with the Reps at times and disagree with Dems. I always vote for the lesser of the two evils and I do NOT believe my vote counts BUT I do it out of respect for my ancestors who fought and died for my right.

Starr says:

I hate the two party system as well.

I identify as liberal. Very very liberals….but their are a few conversative views I agree with as well. If I were to vote for a republican….it wouldn’t be Herman McCain though

100% usa made! says:

I know you all realize tgat when blacks first got the rights to vote, most voted republican for decades.

100% usa made! says:

**that

jazi65 says:

Cain is a black version of Bush.. a bumbling idiot who says anything & everything but has no idea what he’s saying.

I don’t agree with everything that Obama has done but I’m proud nonetheless.

The republicans are a disgrace! They are so hell bent on bringing down our president that they are destroying the livelihood of millions. Maybe if they actually do what they were put in office for people might take them seriously.. until then.. #TeamObama2012

datsmdubya2u says:

The republican party is full of former Dixiecrats who left the Democratic party in the 60s to punish them for passing the Civil Rights Act.

They laid low until the 80s where they emerged as the evangelicals then the tea party after the election of President Obama.

Google “the southern strategy” for more info.

They republican party has spent the better part of 40 years
    pitting americans against americans

gay vs. straight (so against gay marriage when it doesn’t affect them at all why?)

black vs. white (willie horton anyone?)

rich vs. poor (demonizing the poor…remember “welfare queens”)

Public employees vs. private sector employees (the newest one)

Pro life vs Pro Choice

While the people were busy fighting these culture wars they used the time to pass law deregulating industries, giving tax cuts to the rich and spending money like water on unfunded wars then crying “we’re broke” as soon as a black man was in charge.

Now their scorched earth policy to allow americans to suffer by not passing bills that could provide jobs, foreclosure relief, unemployment assistance and student loan help just to get back at Obama no matter the cost to the rest of the country is not getting anyone to give them a second look. They have said suffering americans are just “collateral damage” in the war with the first black president.

And they wonder why black people won’t switch en masse cause they put up a pizza boy minstrel on their platform.

Creamychic says:

They say a lie, dont care who tell it, just long as the lie get told. the top royal elites have already choose who they want to run this country, :coffee: and they are from another country, smh. America, :zzz: Lets get it together really,. Oh well going to the next post

datsmdubya2u says:

@ Sandra I know it’s long but please read

why i would never vote for Herman Cain?

His 9-9-9
    9% fed taxes 9% sales tax 9% tax for businesses
    This will be in addition to any state income tax you might pay

if a person has to pay 10% of a 50,000 a year salary that has a bigger impact on them and their family than someone who has to pay 10% of 50,000 million so this just favors the rich

No experience in foreign policy
    He has professed ignorance about the situation in Afghanistan; and shown ignorance about Israel and the destabilization of the Middle East that is the primary outcome of our america’s foreign policy.
    My thing about cain is that he continues to defend his ignorance as acceptable, like its a NMFF. Even palin had the sense to defend herself against charges of ignorance and foreign policy ignorance…cain just pretends that it doesn’t matter.

He’s just kind dumb
    example: cain lack of depth is something that is hidden in our current debate format. thirty seconds or a minute per response, and no allowance for rebuttal or follow up questions, he can spout a talking point or make a joke, and hide his lack of credible knowledge. But in any format where an actual discussion occurs, cain is a disaster. When he was taken to task for comments he made about Muslims, he responded by blowing up at the reporters asking the question.
    worse was his response on abortion on the john stossel show
    cain was completely unable to articulate his position on abortion, to the point that both stossel and the other guest were completely confuse about what he was saying. In one breath, Cain said he was prolife and abortion should be illegal for any reason, but government shouldn’t be making that decision, it should be the woman’s choice. Can you figure out a position hidden in there? I cain’t :shrugs:

He is opposed to religious freedom cain has said he thinks communities should have a right to ban mosques. I’m not Muslim, but I woudl be pretty upset if a candidate tried to ban Christian churches. There’s not a lot to say on this subject, except that it is a complete betrayal of the principles upon which the America is supposedly built.

Sorry Repubs you can’t put up any ole black man and expect blacks to just blindly vote for him. despite stereotypes we know how to study an issue and come to our own conclusion. Pizza Man is out.

datsmdubya2u says:

@ creamy

can you provide me with any links or refer me to any articles or books that tell us who these people running our country are and who are the people that has pre picked the president. Just would like to know where you got this info from….no disputing it just would like to read for myself.

Ms. Everything says:

@datsm I :heart: comment #30.. I’m gonna have my coworker read that when I go back to work

BayMami_de4 says:

Herman Cain is associated with the Koch Brothers. For that reason alone I would never vote for him.

Creamychic says:

@dats, its really my own Personal belief, i researched different things but no one paticular thing, but I dont vote, so my info dont count. I just make statement base on me and how I think about certian things, I just dont understand why blacks dont have a permanant right to vote, :shrugs:

RoderickXYZ says:

From the beginning I called Herman Cain the black male Sarah Palin and he’s been proving me correct time and again.

YSoSerious? says:

Anyone that believes Cain is anything more than a joke on blacks and republicans is why I worry so much for this country. :coffee:

datsmdubya2u says:

@creamy

dats cool……

@ Ms Everything

thanks

@Baymami

chit….i forgot about that in my diatribe…

I Run New York says:

I don’t support bigotry so Herman Cain will not be getting my vote. Also, an 18% sales tax in NY is not what’s up. He can take that 9-9-9 plan and shove it.

datsmdubya2u says:

@I run ny

I Run New York says:

———————————
    :cosign: that works out like this (im using my city for example)

I buy something for $100

In my city I pay 8.25% sales tax on that

so the item is about 108.25 (ish)

With herman cain’s 9-9-9

i’d pay the

100 + 8.25% local and state sales tax + 9% federal tax

so now my item is 117.25

Just think how that would affect big purchases like appliances, furniture and cars.the tax would make those items unaffordable for most people. And for get buying anything like a luxury item like a designer bag or shoes…that will be out (we don’t need those things but since people buy them in droves they need to know how this plan would affect those purchases).

Herman Cain is a joke….he’s just promoting his book and has found himself in this position.

MrsMommy says:

sweetdaddy says:

republicans can give blk people the world. and blks still won’t vote for them.
    ———————————————————————–

Are you high? Republicans had the ability to give blacks “the world” but kept it for themselves instead. Check out their history regarding slavery, Jim Crow era, lynching blacks at will, denying them person-hood (3/4ths of a person) and the anti-Civil Rights Movement.

MrsMommy says:

datsmdubya2u:

Right off the top, the richest people’s taxes would be slashed by half under Herb Cain’s pizza 999 plan.

datsmdubya2u says:

@mrs mommy

MrsMommy says:

datsmdubya2u:

________________________________________________________________________

Yep! and they can avoid the proposed 9% national sales tax by buying overseas..

Click my link for his latest campaign ad. :no:

datsmdubya2u says:

here’s another interesting tidbit

During Herman Cain’s tenure as the head of the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s, at least two female employees complained to colleagues and senior association officials about inappropriate behavior by Cain, ultimately leaving their jobs at the trade group, multiple sources confirm to POLITICO.

The women complained of sexually suggestive behavior by Cain that made them angry and uncomfortable, the sources said, and they signed agreements with the restaurant group that gave them financial payouts to leave the association. The agreements also included language that bars the women from talking about their departures.

In a statement given to the Associated Press, Cain’s campaign labeled the Politico report as “dredging up thinly sourced allegations” from his tenure at the trade group. Spokesman J.D. Gordon told the AP that the claims include “unsubstantiated personal attacks”, adding that the press is “casting aspersions on his character and spreading rumors that never stood up to the facts.”

in an interview with Geraldo Rivera Cain’s spokesperson responded as follows:

“Are you denying it ever happened, J.D. Gordon?” Geraldo asked.

“What I’m saying is that these are thin allegations, that this is non-sourced,” Gordon answered. “And so right now, we’re just trying to put this into perspective for you — that this is not even a sourced allegation.”

RoderickXYZ says:

sweetdaddy says:

republicans can give blk people the world. and blks still won’t vote for them.

Basically you’re saying what Cain said about blacks -that we’re brainwashed.

As you can see from the comments most blacks know what Cain’s platform is and understand that they won’t benefit from Cain’s 9-9-9 tax proposal.

So you need to try again with your limp-wristed assessment of black voters.

Tatted Diva AKA The Makeup Maven says:

:rofl: :lol: @ Samyell! :rofl: YOU M AKE ME SICK!

Tatted Diva AKA The Makeup Maven says:

sweetdaddy says:

republicans can give blk people the world. and blks still won’t vote for them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Show me WHAT republican gave anyone but themselves ANYTHING???? :waiting:
    I cannot believe Sandra agreed w/this chit! :no:

MrsMommy says:

HA! HA! HAAAAA!

You can just tell by his smirk, the beady eyes, and the sense of hatred towards the poor and those who have to work for a living that this dude was one dirty piece of work.

His company had to pay off two women (BLONDES I BET) nasty-azz Herb Cain was trying to get his mitts on. These women were both paid in FIVE FIGURES to keep quiet.

chubbswifey says:

I cannot speak for everyone else but when I voted for Obama, I did not vote for him because he was black. I voted for him because I felt like he was the best candidate for the job. I have said in the past and I still believe that Herman Cain is a distraction. They are using him because they think that we are so weak minded that we will vote for him based on his race.

I don’t care if you are purple, red, or green if I do not feel that you are qualified to run for president I am not voting for you, bottom line. It is time for the Republicans to stop underminding folks and using this token to get away from the real issues at hand.:mad:

Ty says:

Referring to allegations of sexual harassment by two former employees as a “witch hunt”, GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain called the charges “totally baseless and totally false.”
    _______________________________________________________________________
    Of course he did Sandra. Did u honestly think he would admit to tapping that azz and giving them hush money? He can say what he wants because the women probably can’t speak on the matter or they will be sued for the hush money.