Medical Minute: Prostate Cancer

People magazine broke the news last week that veteran actor Ryan O’Neal was diagnosed with prostate cancer. O’Neal, 70, who battled leukemia in the 1990s, told the magazine that his prostate cancer was a stage 4 — but that his doctor gave him a good prognosis.

Stage 4 cancer means the cancer has metastasized (or spread) elsewhere in the body. Stage 4 is the most difficult stage of cancer to treat, and the survival rate for Stage 4 cancer is usually very poor.

Anatomical position

The prostate makes up part of the male reproductive system. Anatomically, the prostate is a gland that sits directly below the bladder. The prostate secretes semen which neutralizes the acid in a woman’s vagina and prolongs the life of sperm (secreted from the testicles).

Female Prostate

Because all embryos (babies) start out as females — women also have female prostate glands, formerly called Skene’s glands. The female prostate gland (which is now the uterus) sits in the same anatomical position as the male prostate. The opening of the female prostate (Skene’s gland) is near the urethra, which drains urine from the bladder. Like males, the female prostate gland also secretes an alkaline solution, which most women confuse for urine during orgasms.

Causes of prostate Cancer in males

The specific cause of prostate cancer in men is unknown. The average age at diagnosis is 70 (Ryan’s age). But males of any age (usually over 50) are diagnosed with prostate cancer. In the U.S. 30,000 men die of prostate cancer every year. Risk factors include black men, men over 60, diet (too much red meat, high fat diet and not enough fish and vegetables), alcohol, hereditary (a brother or father who was previously diagnosed), medications (steroid injections), and infections caused by STDs or a retrovirus can all increase the risk of prostate cancer.

Cancer begins when normal prostate cells transforms into cancer cells which rapidly multiply in the prostate. Eventually, the multiplying cancer cells enlarge the prostate gland and it begins to push against other organs, causing pain.

Signs (what you see) and Symptoms (what you feel):

Early prostate cancer usually has no signs or symptoms. Symptoms usually occur when the prostate has enlarged to the point that it invades other organs nearby. You might also experience difficulty obtaining an erection and difficulty ejaculating. If the tumor spreads to the bones or lymph glands, there will be pronounced pain at the sites where the cancer has spread.

Other signs and symptoms include:

• Delayed or slowed start of urinary stream
  • Dribbling or leakage of urine, most often after urinating
  • Slow urinary stream
  • Straining when urinating, or not being able to empty out all of the urine
  • Blood in the urine or semen
  • Bone pain or tenderness, most often in the lower back and pelvic bones (only when the cancer has spread)
  • If you experience any of these signs and symptoms, consult your physician or health care professional. If you do not have a doctor, go to the emergency room.

Diagnosis of Prostate Cancer in males

A positive diagnosis is confirmed by performing a biopsy of the tumor.

Once the prostate has enlarged, it can be detected easily by a doctor or healthcare professional during a digital rectal examination. During the exam, the doctor will wash his hands and put on gloves. The doctor will insert a lubricated and gloved finger into your rectum and feel the inside.

If the doctor feels a tumor inside your rectum, or an uneven area, he will order tests such as a biopsy of the prostate tumor, and/ or urine tests and blood tests to look for the presence of antigens or proteins which indicates cancer. Your doctor might also order a CT Scan, Ultrasound or a MRI to visualize the tumor.

Treatment

Treatment includes surgery to remove part or all of the prostate, radiation therapy, chemotherapy or hormones. Depending on your age and the size of the tumor, the doctor might elect not to do anything except monitor your blood work to make sure the tumor does not spread.

This has been your Medical Minute.

More Info On the Web

Prostate Cancer – Pubmed Health

Prostate Cancer – MayoClinic

Prostate Cancer – Wikipedia

DISCLAIMER

Any medical information published on this blog is for your general information only and is not intended as a substitute for informed medical advice. You should not take any action before consulting with your personal physician or a health care provider. Sandrarose.com and its affiliates cannot be held liable for any damages incurred by following advice found on this blog.

104 Responses to “Medical Minute: Prostate Cancer”

West Coast Chick says:

So sad to hear :(

I read Tantum Oneal’s book, was a very interesting read

spongebobfan says:

stage 4 anything is NOT good. he made it to 70. hope he had a good life.
      good luck

tnwill777 says:

Thank you for your medical minutes Ms. Sandra. My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year and has gone through surgery and his treatments. He is still in recovery and is on hormones now but he is doing well!

West Coast Chick says:

During the exam, the doctor will wash his hands and put on gloves. With a lubricated and gloved finger, your doctor will feel around inside your rectum for approximately one minute. :buttshake:

__________________________

I was so confused when he said the doctor caught it early but he was in stage 4. That’s not early by any stretch unless he means early in the final stage. In any event, God bless him and his family during this difficult time.

smo1 says:

no bueno I know my granddad’s cancer was initially prostate and spread to his lungs

smo1 says:

ay Bird nice side pic ma

Interesting :tea: @Auntie, what’s going on with my brother from the Beegees he is in a coma, I love the Beegees :sad:

You’re welcome tnwill777. It’s good to hear that you’re father is recovering well.

I was too. I thought maybe they changed the staging of cancer to add more stages or something.

jeniefrumdabloc says:

Poor Robin. I grew up on Bee Gees music. I really don’t want to think about him being terminally ill. :sad:

Ms. Everything says:

I feel so bad for him and Farrah’s son. I’m praying he has a full recovery because I can’t imagine losing both parents at such a young age and he’s already mentally fragile. Tatum too.

datsmdubya2u says:

:cosign: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Sign really says "KEEP SR BLACK"

Charley Wilson had prostate cancer too…. So far he's doing well.

bnatural says:

Good Morning yall!

Ryan O’Neal said that he has Stage 2 prostate cancer not stage 4.

bnatural says:

Ryan O’Neal said that he has Stage 2 prostate cancer not stage 4.

Originally he said it was stage 4. Fox News is still reporting stage 4. I don’t think Ryan knew what the staging really meant.

bnatural says:

You are correct.

Having stage 4 is not an immediate death sentence. The chances are slim but let’s remember that Michael Douglas had stage 4 throat cancer and it’s been almost two years since his initial diagnosis.

lovezoe says:

Good morning! Sad to hear about this. Prayers for a fast recovery. All things are possible with God.

Your right Bnat, morning , Zoe, Auntie ! Everyone :waves: <———- my twenty five dollars for my eyelashes today :)

NaijaGal says:

Sandra, bnatural, lovezoe, jenie
      Morning Lovelies :waves: :hug:

vero says:

Morning fam :waves:

NaijaGal says:

Vero :yahoo: you at a 100 yet?

We need to start discussing BBHoes asap! :coffee:

:waves: Goodmorning ladies!!!

bnatural says:

NaijaGal says:

Sandra, bnatural, lovezoe, jenie
      Morning Lovelies :waves: :hug:
      —————————-

Morning errrrr body! :waves:

bnatural says:

We need to start discussing BBHoes asap! :coffee:
      —————————-

Evelyn’s assistant was too pressed over some keys last night. I kept thinking about Sandra’s post on the “real” reason she was pissed at Jennifer….

Evelyn is too upset over that blog. I understand that was ya girl and all but come one WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON?!?!?!

NaijaGal says:

@lovezoe I knew that ‘slap’ would happen the last 5 minutes of the show and boooooooooooo at Royce for being so pathetic with that lingerie bull

Morning Naija, Mizz, Vero hello to you lovely ladies :hug:

NaijaGal says:

@bnatural what grown ass woman cares if someone doesn’t want to be their friend anymore…they were beyond pressed…yeah no edges made it seem like they were fcuk buddies she was so fcuking pressed

@Bnat, that mess was so staged with those two last night, by the way, I agree with everything Jen said after she walked, never fight with someone that has more to loose :nono:

lovezoe says:

@bnatural- I am starting to believe that blog post Sandra posted as well. Change the locks Ms. No Edges and move on with your life. Evelyn wanted a reason to hop cross that table, so she used Jen’s blow to No Edges as that reason.

@Naja- So did I. They amp it up. I am also getting so tired of Shaunie. She needs to be dragged more than Tip Jr.

NaijaGal says:

:preach: that Shat Gull!!!! Thats the vibe I got also Naija :yes: Felt like something else was up :hump:

Morning folks…

@Naija,

That shyt DEFINITELY looked like a lover’s fight between Jenn, Evelyn and no edges…there’s WAY more to that fight than meets the eye…

vero says:

2more weeks Naija, and i’ll be good :yahoo:

lovezoe says:

@Naja- Royce looks like a twelve year old. It was so awkward to watch. I HOLLERED when she says he eats everything well. Wonder was that a low blow to DCoward.

NaijaGal says:

@FeFe hey gorgeous :hug: yeah the whole time I was watching I was like why does she keep talking about Jennifer :wtf: and according to Evelyn no edges was her friend first so I’m just all the way confused…Shaunie is so full of sh*t, don’t be mad at Jennifer for being smart enough to do that cease and desist letter…probably the smartest ish she’s done ever in the history of BBWives

NaijaGal says:

@lovezoe I get that Royce is inlove with being inlove but damn…and did you catch how Evelyn said she was pissed cause Jennifer was judging no edges but broad weren’t you the one saying Royce wasn’t ish cause she didn’t have the right clothes or shoes…I swear the hypocrisy is hilarious

lovezoe says:

I think so :yes: I swear women just tell to much ! :no: Now what was all that about

bnatural says:

NaijaGal says:

———————-

Yes!!!! Just change the locks girl. If it’s that serious. Just change the locks. They were wayyyyyyyyy too pressed.

I’m sick of that piranha-faced Evelyn tryin’ to be about that life…

bnatural says:

jeniefrumdabloc says:

————————————–

I was thinking the same thing, why on earth would she even put him on TV. He’s already a fine baller with a lil money, now all these other women who didn’t know who he was will now know who he is….. smh

yeah, I don’t care how dumb-founded and slow Jenn may sound at times…she is the only class act out of all those chicks and I wouldn’t be ready to bang and fight at the horse races either…Evelyn triflin’ ass just showed how gutter she is running across that table bare-footed…like it would have taken a few seconds longer to walk her stupid ass around the table like no edges did…

Flawless says:

Morning folks…

@Naija,

by Feline Feminine
      _________

Morning Everybody :waves:

I believe that they had a thing going on also :coffee:

mizzdallas says:

On bbq wives last night….

Royce storyline is corny,especially when she came out with that lingerie.. Anywhoo, let get to the real question, was no edges invlove in a threesome w/Jenn & Eve when they went to vegas??? because homegirl was too pressed and she didnt even come to fight, who hand wrestles??!! and ladyboy AL was right jenn should just fight it out I know she got it in her just one time 2 the head and then drop kick eve azz and shaunie …

lovezoe says:

I know Ocho is a buffoon, but who really wants to marry a 40-year old mother who jumps cross tables

MORNING LADIES!! :waves:

Maaaan Bball hoes got me tight as hell last night!! First off, Royce what the EFF you doing son?! I mean damn he got you open like that, have some damn class. No wonder D. Howard slapped her ass with a gag order, bish is borderline PATHETIC! Nigga buy her dinner and she go n change into some bra n panties, smh thirst. That was the most awkward staged scene I ever watched in my life, lol!!

And the real reason that them other hoes was fighting with Bosswoman Jenn is cuz they all used to engage in orgies. I am 100% sure of this. You over 30 pressed about another woman upgrading her friends?! Ever heard the saying “when you make money, you surround yourself with others who make the same, or can get you more?” Bum bytch. And her cap weave was killing me. But that fight just had sexual tension written ALL over it.

And Jenn is my she-ro. Bitch got legal on ALL they asses. Shaunie didn’t want it, bull nosed bytch. And she said it well last night “Why am I gonna fight with someone who has nothing to lose?” I say it all the time. Sometimes its best to let a fool look like a fool.

bnatural says:

mizzdallas says:

On bbq wives last night….

————————————–

I completely forgot about Vegas :thinking: ….paging Al Reynolds, paging Al Reynolds….

jeniefrumdabloc says:

Morning Naija, Mizz, Vero hello to you lovely ladies

thank you!! :hug:

£ the commenter formally known as Hershey says:

Mawning all :waves:

It shocked the shyt out of me to see Evelyn crying in the preview for next weeks show, because “Jennifer is so judgemental”…isn’t this the same bytch who was JUDGING Tami because her weave wasn’t right, her clothes weren’t like hers, she judged Royce for being a dancer, she judged Gloria for being JUST a baby’s mother…but now that Jennifer made ONE comment about the girl’s apartment being in Harlem, she’s the judgmental one. Btych go suck a diseased dyck, oops she does Chad’s :coffee:

:hi: @Flawless

Them chicks had a lesbian three-way going…the shyt is SO OBVIOUS…and now Evelyn and no edges hate the fact that Jenn is able to move on and not be all emotional and vengeful about the shyt…

@Bnat you should never tell folks how good ya man is in bed :nono: There is always some thirsty muck willing to try that is out :coffee: But she seem gullable as hell anyways so …..

lovezoe says:

This is what I’ve been thinking ever since they started showing those promos!

lovezoe says:

I dont believe for one second Jenn asked no edges could she move in.

Hey gigi!!!!

I always said that jenn and eve got it in, because eve is really taking this to heart.. thats why I want to know if no edges, jenn & eve all engage in a orgy in vegas???!!

@Gigi

You sound like you know some folks… :think:

jeniefrumdabloc says:

@Bnat you should never tell folks how good ya man is in bed There is always some thirsty muck willing to try that is out But she seem gullable as hell anyways so …..

:cosign:

Feline Feminine says:

Hahaha ! That maggot was tip toeing :rofl: That shat looked so staged :lol:

Feline Feminine says:

@Gigi

You sound like you know some folks…

girl spill the tea!! :coffee:

Gigi26 says:

@FeFe darling….the tri-state area is very small so you’ll be surprised what you find out about people. Ain’t no way Jenn taking trips from Jersey to Harlem to chill with that gutter rat. She was going to get Ms. Kitty groomed. No edges look like she take the puzzy. Her and nasty ass Evelyn. Jenn got to pick better lady friends lol she messed up :lol:

The Makeup Maven says:

Gigi26 says:

She was going to get Ms. Kitty groomed. No edges look like she take the puzzy.
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Makeup Maven says:

Good morning everyone :hug:

:popcorn:

@Gigi

I knewded it… that shyt had sexual tension written ALL OVER IT…and no edges was the MOST bitter of them all…she and Evelyn look like they were the doms and Jenn was the submissive one…I can see it!

Gigi26 says:

But real talk, they really mad because Jenn has upgraded her friends and doesn’t deal with them anymore. Simple as that, I don’t think she got brand new, she was just tired of the bullshyt they brought to every damn event. You can only chuckle at the ****ery that goes on for so long before you become stained with it.

Morning Tatted :waves: @Gigi Im listening
      :popcorn: <——– really watermelon

@Gigi

That’s what I figured too…they are salty because she has MOVED ON and she’s not all emotional and bitter about anything…while they stay bitter and emotional about EVERYTHING!

Gigi26 says:

And me thinks that Evelyn and Suzie had a kitty eating match as well.

:waves: morning tatted!!!!

so jenn have upgraded to new lady friends.. :coffee:

Gigi26 says:

Totally agree with you, You can’t keep surrounding yaself with have nots :coffee:

Gigi26 says:

And me thinks that Evelyn and Suzie had a kitty eating match as well.

Of course they did :tea:

Gigi26 says:

And me thinks that Evelyn and Suzie had a kitty eating match as well.

*imagining Suzie trying to eat that cat with her lisp*

Gigi26 says:

And me thinks that Evelyn and Suzie had a kitty eating match as well.

I think they told suthize about the vegas trip and thats the reason why eve was :mad: as hail she was running around talking about they eating match.. <— thats my story and Im sticking to it!! :lolol:

Gigi26 says:

MizzDallas: YUP she rolling with the lipstick lezzies that know how to keep their mouths shut and ain’t messy with it. :lol:

The Makeup Maven says:

@ Jenn, Fe & Mizzdallas – :hug:

lovezoe says:

I don’t blame Jen. EVERYWHERE Tip Jr. go she starts a scene. EVERYWHERE.

Who else was laughing at that fake scene about closing down the store. VH1 just didn’t see a need to keep renting the storefront anymore. Girl boo. Talking about she don’t got time to run the store, what else she doing but laying on her back for red bottoms.

bnatural says:

Gigi26 says:

And me thinks that Evelyn and Suzie had a kitty eating match as well.

———————————–

I thought Suzie was in Vegas with them….and apart of the shenanigans

:rofl: @lovezoe

Did you call that bitch “Tip Jr.”?????????????

:dead:

CD FENTY says:

:waves: Goodmorning Saints and Aints

I see yall already going in on dem hoes. That chit pissed me off majah last night. Tami and Shaunie ass set Jen up big time why did dem hoes have to confront her there. I hope she sues the chit outta all them fake ass pussies

BoogieNites says:

mizzdallas says:
      ..because homegirl was too pressed and she didnt even come to fight, who hand wrestles??!!

Gigi26 says:
      ..Ain’t no way Jenn taking trips from Jersey to Harlem to chill with that gutter rat. She was going to get Ms. Kitty groomed..

Gigi26 says:
      And me thinks that Evelyn and Suzie had a kitty eating match as well.
      ______

:eatme: .. :rofl:

CD FENTY says:

Somebody said that Teefus Lasagna was wearing all those Louie batons in her store and dem putting them back on display :rofl: :rofl:

@CD :rolleyes:

I really cannot STAND Shaunie anymore…she just needs to STAY behind the scenes…and Tami is a dumb bitch too…she stays instigating but plays like she ain’t did shyt…

The Makeup Maven says:

:dead: @ Jenie

lovezoe says:

Fe- Shaunie is really showing out. She claim she friends with both, but she laughing and showing teeth when Evelyn talking about her. That’s not a friend. Laughing=cosigning

I thought Suzie was in Vegas with them….and apart of the shenanigans

:thinking: ion if suthie was there or not, all I remember is eve getting in her azz about running her mouth

The Makeup Maven says:

@ CD – What in DEE hail is going on with your gravi??? What is that???
      :blink:

lovezoe says:

We not even gone talk about how Steve Harvey paid for the show last night :coffee:

@Tatted what I do :hahaha: By the way Tami got it started at the table

Yep ! :hahaha:

lovezoe says:

they flock to shaunie like she the messiah bish is just as dirty as eve & tammi ..

bnatural says:

———————

I couldn’t do anything but :rolleyes: on that…..but I gotta give it to Steve and the marketing team, they are doing their thing.

£ the commenter formally known as Hershey says:

Feline Feminine says:

@CD

_____________________________

I hope Jen sees how they used her azz, they were very willing to go see the movie with Terrance J, but quickly forgot when they confronted her at the track. Shaunie even said to Tami let’s wait and ask her at the track, she’s a walking contradiction, only smart one is Royce, she has nothing to do with the “group” anymore

mizzdallas says:

We not even gone talk about how Steve Harvey paid for the show last night

:rofl: that was pathetic!!!

The Makeup Maven says:

@ Jenie – all the :lick: & :rofl: you throwing out!

£ the commenter formally known as Hershey says:

Was it just me, or was Tami’s FAKE AZZ attempts to break up the fight really unbelievable?It looked like she was rolling around the back side of no edges. When she walked pass Tami, she got up so slow :chase:

NaijaGal says:

But why does Tami continue to look so rainbowish…ugh she’s so basic…I shop at NY&Co and got a better wardrobe than that broad ever will

gypsyeyes says:

It’s bad when after the 17 year old watched this episode and said SR gonna drag them tomorrow!

gypsyeyes says:

Am I the only one that when watching Royce you feel like you are watching kiddie pRon

My friend passed away a few months ago of this horrible disease! I’m praying for him.

yallcrazy says:

Get your check ups folks :yes:

If you happen to receive bad news, ALWAYS GET A 2ND OPINION, sometimes even a 3rd Opinion.