Medical Minute: Cancer of the Esophagus

Have you ever attempted to swallow food and it feels like it’s stuck in your throat (or somewhere in your upper chest)? Panic slowly begins to rise as it seems like your throat is starting to close and you feel like you can’t breathe. You feel like you’re choking until you drink something to get the food moving again.

If you’ve ever had that choking experience with food — and it occurs quite often — you may have cancer of the esophagus.

The esophagus is the long tube that transports food and drink between your mouth and your stomach. Cancer of the esophagus refers to tumors that eventually obstructs the esophagus and makes swallowing difficult.

Esophageal cancer mainly occurs in the lower portion of the esophagus, closer to your stomach. But it can occur anywhere along the esophagus from your throat to your stomach. Your risk of developing esophageal cancer greatly increases if you drink alcohol, or smoke cigarettes or weed. Esophageal cancer occurs more often in men than women.

Other factors that put you at risk of developing cancer of the esophagus includes gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), which causes Barrett’s esophagus – an erosion of the lining of the esophagus. GERD is also known as acid reflux or heartburn.

Causes

It is not known what causes esophageal cancer. Cancer occurs when something triggers ordinary cells to begin multiplying rapidly. The rapid reproduction of cells forms a tumor. The tumor displaces other organs and may spread to other parts of the body (a medical term referred to as metastasis).

Signs and Symptoms

(Signs are what you see and symptoms are what you feel.) Early stages of esophageal cancer usually have no signs or symptoms.

• Frequent choking while eating
  • Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
  • Unexplained weight loss
  • Chest pain, pressure or burning
  • Fatigue (feeling tired all the time)
  • Indigestion or heartburn
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Coughing or hoarseness
  • Some of these symptoms could be caused by something as simple as the common cold or indigestion. But if you have persistent, nagging symptoms, or if you experience all of these symptoms, consult your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible.

It’s a good idea to consult the Symptom Checker to help you better understand what your symptoms mean.

Diagnosis

If your doctor suspects you may have esophageal cancer, he or she will order tests to confirm the diagnosis. Tests include a blood draw, X-rays, an endoscopy (a tube with a camera attached to see inside your esophagus), or a biopsy (cutting a sample of the affected area to examine under a microscope).

Treatment

Treatment of esophageal cancer depends upon the stage of the cancer. Cancer is staged from 1 (the easiest to treat) to stage 4, which is usually terminal and the most difficult to treat because it has spread elsewhere in the body.

Once the cancer is staged the doctor decides the appropriate treatment mode which can include surgery to remove part or all of the tumor, or to widen the esophagus. In some cases, parts of the esophagus must be removed. The doctor might also pass a feeding tube directly into the stomach to bypass the esophagus to provide nutrition.

Chemotherapy and or radiation therapy are also treatment options.

This has been your Medical Minute.

More Info On the Web

Esophageal Cancer – Mayo Clinic

Cancer of the Esophagus – MedicineNet

Esophageal Cancer – MedlinePlus

Esophagus Cancer – Cancer.org

DISCLAIMER

Any medical information published on this blog is for your general information only and is not intended as a substitute for informed medical advice. You should not take any action before consulting with your personal physician or a health care provider. Sandrarose.com and its affiliates cannot be held liable for any damages incurred by following advice found on this blog.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEureObx87M JMO

Where is the trachea? :think:

• Usual Suspect

Morning Erryone & Sandra -

• Nita-No-Clothes

That photo of the cancer, is gross.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jsZhYyyPuI FeFe Feminine

ewwww….. :vomit:

• miamore1973

In August of 2000 my father was diagnosed with this type of cancer. He was given 18 months to live. He died in October of 2000.

He told me his throat started feeling tender in May of that year but he didn’t do anything about it until August. I thought that was sooo ridiculous. Who has a sore throat for 2 months and doesn’t do anything about it.

MEN that’s who.

GO TO THE DOCTOR!!

• Hax–TheBoyCanMack

Morning y’all!

You know what I hate? Tonsilitis. That stuff HURTS.

• CD FENTY

**********************************
      :waves: Nice to meet u Debbie Downer

Geez Louisa now I’m gone be panicking errtime I eat a gyro and that lamb get stuck :coffee:

• Hax–TheBoyCanMack

@miamore

I’m always horrified of going to the doctor. :(

• candibfly

i hate cancer :mad:

• CD FENTY

This post makes me extremely sad. Going back downstairs :kona:

• http://Www.yallaintchit.com Man, I just don’t care™

@MIAMORE
      “MEN that’s who.

GO TO THE DOCTOR!”

The doctor only gives bad news. :(

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jsZhYyyPuI FeFe Feminine

Why we got this post?

:tea:

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEureObx87M JMO

:no: <— smh CD is a damn nut :lol:

• Mr.BluPhi

________________________________________________________________

*sigh* So we’re all at high risk of developing esophageal cancer… back to detoxing this month….

• http://www.landofpure.net Fayla aka IWhipIt..WhipItRealGood:)

me —> :deadhorse: <—cancer GRRRRR!

• The Makeup Maven

Would it be rude of me if I didn’t address the topic??? :thinking:
      OH THEE FCK WELL!

ANYWHOOOOO – Heeeeey ya’ll! :hi:

• http://www.landofpure.net Fayla aka IWhipIt..WhipItRealGood:)

yeah so i cant keep refreshing & seeing that yucky pic up top :no: :kona:

• KDub

————————————
      :kona:

• CD FENTY

@MP
      I swear Sandra is a hypochondriac’s worst nightmare. :no: Gone have somebody mad paranoid if they start coughing and experiencing any of these other symptoms

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jsZhYyyPuI FeFe Feminine

@Tatted

*changing topic*

So when are we gonna take that trip to Qdoba? :coffee:

• KDub

Why are you posting this?

Because Cinco De Mayo falls on a Sat. this year???

• Eazy

Im with you Tatted.. :tape:

• The Makeup Maven

@ FE – I’ono. I’m esscared. Auntie got me scared to each and shyt. Scared I may choke and then freak out! :lol:

Qdoba – That sounds YUMMY for lunch! :biggrin:

• Mr.BluPhi

CD FENTY says:

@MP
      I swear Sandra is a hypochondriac’s worst nightmare. Gone have somebody mad paranoid if they start coughing and experiencing any of these other symptoms
      ________________________________________________________

lmfaoooooooooooooooooooo

• The Makeup Maven

@ Eazy – Im like we were having a good time in the post downstairs and here you come, having us all nervous to swallow (food that is) :coffee: and shyt! :lol:

• Bootcampgirl

CD FENTY says:

@MP
      :cosign: This is the exact reason I don’t watch The Doctors’ or the other doctor show

Oan, Happy Tuesday Folks :waves:

• Bibi

:rofl: @ CD

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jsZhYyyPuI FeFe Feminine

@Tatted

I know…I had some yesterday for lunch and thought of you! :yes:

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7je-DEQgPJk&feature=related ELove

Ahhh Ms. Sandra FOR Future Reference Though…
      I NEEDS NIPPLES with MY TIDDAYS (OKAY !!!) I SAW this picture on Da Twitter of Some Chick w/ Nipple-LESS Tiddays and IT Just didn’t SIT WELL (With Me…) :nono:

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEureObx87M JMO

:rofl: Tatted clarifying

• KyCakes

Hey ery’body :wave:

• CD FENTY

@Blu
      Yo ass keep laughing cause u know I’m telling the truth. I swear Sandra is like one of my aunts that no matter how much fun we have she will throw up a quick “I went to see such and such body at the funeral home and she was sharp” and errbody looking her like dude we playing spades why are u talking about this right now :lol:

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jsZhYyyPuI FeFe Feminine

:hugs: @Bootcamp

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7je-DEQgPJk&feature=related ELove

@Boot
      HAPPY Tuesday = TIDDAY TUESDAY :wink:

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEureObx87M JMO

KDub says:

Why are you posting this?

Because Cinco De Mayo falls on a Sat. this year???
      _____________________________________________________________________

Does everyone drunk text on this day?? Someone mentioned it yesterday but I swear I get the strangest texts around this day and St Patricks day :hahaha:

• goat76

We got to leave this bicht one day. Might as well go :blunt:

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jsZhYyyPuI FeFe Feminine

:hi: @KyCakes

• Bootcampgirl

FeFe :danban1:
      ELove :boobs:

• Eazy

Well Im getting :blunt: then :cheers: then :ghost: for CINCO DE MAYO

• Usual Suspect

CD FENTY says:

@Blu

Why did I BUST out laughing :rofl: You be like :wtf: All random and chitt….

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jsZhYyyPuI FeFe Feminine

CD FENTY says:

@Blu

:wail: I got relatives like this too!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mr.BluPhi

CD FENTY says:
      @Blu
      ________________________________________________________

lmfaooo right…. we talking about Tyga and @Tainted relationship , and all of a sudden we get this chit. Smh…. I need a cold pop…aint nobody got for that

• CD FENTY

Eazy says:
      Well Im getting :blunt: then :cheers: then :ghost: for CINCO DE MAYO
      *****************************
      Well according to Sandra u will be :dead: I’m gone miss u baby girl :cry:

• Eazy

Usual Suspect says:

CD FENTY says:

@Blu

Why did I BUST out laughing You be like All random and chitt….
      _____________________________
      thats when the record suddenly stops..scratches…and people get pissed off

• http://Www.yallaintchit.com Man, I just don’t care™

@CD
      “Sandra is like one of my aunts that no matter how much fun we have she will throw up a quick “I went to see such and such body at the funeral home and she was sharp” and errbody looking her like dude we playing spades why are u talking about this right now ”
      _____________________________

Family: “Junebug gettin outta jail today! He finally coming home!”

Sandra: “I can’t wait to see Junebug! Especially since they talkin bout retrying him for that other charge and he prolly goin right back to prison.”

• Hershey

:offtopic:

Did yall see that Chateau Sheree has a finished ballroom? Bish is going to be :dance: and :shakebutt: in her haters faces :lol: all while the property is in her mama endem name :lol:

• Mr.BluPhi

*time

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEureObx87M JMO

CD FENTY says:

@Blu
      ______________________________________________________________________

:rofl: My co-worker is like that and I hate it!! We’re all talking, laughing about whatever then she brings up her damn blind dog :blink:

• Eazy

Well according to Sandra u will be :dead: I’m gone miss u baby girl :cry:
      ________________________________
      :cya: <——Really says YOLO! :rofl:

• The Makeup Maven

@ :cool: —– :wink:

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEureObx87M JMO

Blu, CD & Man :rofl:

• Eazy

____________________________
      you be wanting to punch the fock outta that Aunty, but you cant cause she your elder :rofl:

• KyCakes

FeFe :hug:

I ain’t doing roll call today, yo :lol:

• The Makeup Maven

@ Fe – Don’t make a bish go get a hard chicken taco with some blackbeans and shyt! :lol:

• KyCakes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• The Makeup Maven

Ebestie :hug:

• candibfly

that’s how old ppl are

me: how are u today?
      agnes: well u know my right foot is swole up, my gout is actin up, and i think my left ear is bout to fall off, but the Lord woke me up today so I can’t complain.

• KyCakes

@Tatted I just got a hankering for some Tortilla Soup from the Q

• The Makeup Maven

STAWWWWWWWP IT. I’M HUNGRY! :wail:

• Mr.BluPhi

Or that aunt that always talking about she might not make… after 7 years of hearing that chit, be wanting her to go to glory…

Speaking of going to glory, Barbra Bush looks 746 years old. She looks like she coughs dust. Im surprised she hasn’t bought the farm yet??

On topic: I like Sandra’s Medical Minutes …. but this one kinda took me by surprised. Please post mariah and her elephant toe

• Ni ni

I guess I need to start skipping the medical minutes. I had to break myself from going to medicinet and all those other sites and watching dr oz, the drs because I tend to think I have symptoms of most ailments. Oh well we all gonna get out here one way or another

• Mr.BluPhi

:rofl: :rofl:

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7je-DEQgPJk&feature=related ELove

@U-S Yep Yep :wink:

• CD FENTY

:waves: ELove

• Usual Suspect

:waves: at CD, Bootcamp, Candi, JMO….Talkn bout where is the trachea (side eye) You know where it is.

• Kei_lyme

I ain’t going to say morning again.

*Looks for baby lotion and oraljel*

• luVn_liFe…

miamore1973 says:

MEN that’s who.

GO TO THE DOCTOR!!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Sorry for your loss.i too lost my Mother to Stomach cancer that spread to her Esophagus.she was diagnosed Sept 16 and passed away Dec.18th.
      she had been throwing up for MONTHS,experiencing heartburn with anything she put in her mouth even water,and she finally went and had her stomach,throat scoped and it was discovered.
      I fail to understand how one doesnt go check on a sudden symptom either. :(

• The Makeup Maven

CD FENTY says:

The Makeup Maven says:

STAWWWWWWWP IT. I’M HUNGRY
      ***********************************************
      Whateva u do swallow slowly. I CANT LOSE U TATTED :wail: :wail:
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      :rofl: RIIIGHT! I had one mo’ swig of water left…bish leaving it right where it is! :no:

• CD FENTY

:waves: Cali & Kei

• Usual Suspect

@JMO – Why is you sharing stuff I be telling you. :rolleyes:

:waves: at Ky Cakes and Hershey :hug:

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeuqgD6GKjw&feature=related French KI$$E$

@fefe i googled the closest one to my job and found it! girl after 4years i now know :lol: im going everyday!

• The Makeup Maven

@ Miamore & luVn – I’m so sorry to hear about both of your losses! :hug:

• Usual Suspect

Kei_lyme says:

I ain’t going to say morning again.

*Looks for baby lotion and oraljel*

:warning: Do no use any personal products that Kei Lyme has.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEureObx87M JMO

My fault Cali :tape: <— me from now on

:thumbsup:

• The Makeup Maven

Livingston :hug:

• CD FENTY

Sorry for both of your losses Miamore & Luvn :hugs:

• candibfly

cali :wave: <—- curly weave ponytail i saw in cvs for $5

• Hershey

Hey er’botty :waves:

Usual, Tatted, CD, KY, Kei, JMO, Candi and anyone else I may have left out

• Usual Suspect

See that man is up to no good phuckery today…. :coffee:

On topic – Folks is catching cancer like colds. What is it…. The way we don’t take of ourselves, the food? Mister mothers is weeks away from liver and colon cancer and her sister just had a mastectomy on he left breast.

That whack azz doctor that was speaking to Eve and Tammy, sounded like she didn’t know :wtf: she was talkn bout. Eve ain’t had a mamaogram, I wonder if she get paps for the ratchet Flousy Puzzy of hers.

• candibfly

blu there is a :newpost: with mariah

iono if isn’t showin her monkey or not

• Kei_lyme

:wave:

Linden
      Cali- stop telling
      Hershey
      CD

• luVn_liFe…

for ya luv.
      My hearts still heavy,im not over it yet.BUT,Im Well :)

• CD FENTY

:hugs: Hershey & Ky

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

JMO says:

Where is the trachea?

I’m glad you asked that question. The trachea (and windpipe) sits directly in front of the esophagus – which is why it seems like we eat and breathe with the same tube (we don’t). You can’t see the trachea in this graphic because this post is about the esophagus. But when you swallow, there’s a thick flap that closes and seals the opening to the windpipe so food or drink doesn’t go in by accident and choke you. Of course, if there’s a problem with the flap (such as cancer), then food and drink will go down the windpipe and cause serious medical problems, or even death (from aspiration).

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

miamore1973 says:

I’m sorry to hear that hun. :(

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

ELove says:

Ahhh Ms. Sandra FOR Future Reference Though…

This is a serious post E. :)

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7je-DEQgPJk&feature=related ELove