In Case You Missed It: 30 for 30: Benji Wilson

ESPN’s acclaimed series of documentaries 30 for 30 profiles the tragic death of Chicago high school basketball phenom Benji Wilson who was shot and killed on the eve of his senior basketball season. Benji was 17 in 1984 when his promising young life was cut short.

Wilson was LeBron James and Kobe Bryant before the NBA changed its rule allowing high school prep stars to enter the NBA draft. Chicago natives Rev. Jesse Jackson, R.Kelly and rapper Common remember the Benji the world never got the chance to know. ‘Benji‘ was directed by Coodie and Chike.

• Man arrested for threatening kids who buy LeBron’s shoes
  • 2 Slain Inside NFL Player’s Condo
  • 2 NFL Players Missing At Sea Feared Dead
  • Sports: No ring for LeBron James this year?

64 Responses to “In Case You Missed It: 30 for 30: Benji Wilson”

@NikkeMinxx says:

iCried….

AuntSan, why you aint show/post “Broke”? That one was just funny…

:yahoo: Feefster!! (If youre lurking)

Diva says:

Pump out the post!!!!! I wanna see this in its entirety!

Diva says:

NIKKI :hugs

NaijaGal says:

I cried at the memorial/fune moment…so sad…all of it could’ve been prevented by someone not letting ego get in the way…so many lives destroyed over bullchit

Angiegirl says:

When does this show come on? I keep hearing people talk about it on here.

Or, is it on demand?

candibfly says:

haven’t watched it yet but it’s on my DVR. the 30 for 30 series is pretty awesome. i watched about 8 of em the other day. lawd when they showed len bias collapsing on the court :crying:

NaijaGal says:

dude kind of favors Grant Hill

ReadingIsFundamental says:

Big Ups to ESPN on their latest set of documentary episodes. They are shining the light on the life occurrences within sports outside of the glitts and glam.

The “Broke” one had my jaw on the floor. They didn’t have to put Left Eye on there burning down ol’boy’s house. Let that girl rest in peace. The other parts of it had my eyes and ears glued to the TV

On this 30 for 30, I’m glad I got a chance to learn a bit about Benji Wilson. RIP

AWESOME says:

One thing that stuck out to me was how skinny EVERYONE was.

candibfly says:

i meant hank gathers

len just OD’d

candibfly says:

awesome! i got all the cushion u need :kiss:

@NikkeMinxx says:

Angie… 30 for 30 is serie of short films produced by directors and producers regarding sportins legends and theories. It started as a novelty idea a couple years ago and has grown into a pretty big deal…

This is the third season and it premiered with “Broke”…

The series is available for rent on Netflix. Otherwise it comes on ESPN, Tuesdays I think.

candibfly says:

they don’t have all of em on netflix either #rude

AWESOME says:

Candi!!!! :kiss: *fluffs your pillows*

@NikkeMinxx says:

CandiPants :danban: they dont? I thought you could rent any/everything available for purchase?

Gigi26 says:

This was a great series…I like the 30 for 30 series :yes: The Broke one got me side eyeing all these athletes! :lol:

But this one was hella sad..I didn’t cry because I usually can’t cry for those I don’t know personally but it struck a deep nerve cuz dude had hella potential.

That joint happened over 30 years ago and Nick Anderson was still crying..I read an article that said that he was hospitalized cuz of this and some other murders that happened that year.

Truth be told, I think his girlfriend at the time Jetun didn’t come on the show because she probably blames herself for his death. Love can bring the best out of folk and the worst out of them. :no: I read somewhere they were arguing because she ain’t let him see her son. I also heard that their son didn’t attend the funeral of his grandmother..

lovelyaries says:

I haven’t looked at this episode yet but I will watch it on Comcast on demand. The 30 for 30 979 and broke episodes were really interesting

iWhip says:

i have never heard of any of this :no:

Buttercup says:

Just so sad….senseless :no:

candibfly says:

PSP :wave:

oh i dunno, i only have the streaming part and they aren’t all on there

@NikkeMinxx says:

October 30 is the Ghost of Ole Miss and December 8 is You Dont Know Bo…

Diva says:

Time Warner has ESPN on Demand….I just checked and the episodes are on there.

Angiegirl says:

@NikkeMinxx says:

This is the third season and it premiered with “Broke”…

Thankyou Nikke!I will be checking this out :yes:

I cried my eyes out when I watched this documentary. :crying: Chit was sad, especially when they showed him in that casket with his basketball uniform on. He had so much potential. SMH

candibfly says:

9.79 had me side eyeing everyone that ran in the 80s :(

i’m so disillusioned now and track is my fav sport. carl was a jerk. did y’all see him singing the national anthem? :rofl:

candibfly says:

the announcement and guru of go had me sobbing u hear me?! like whyyyyy?! :crying: i might have got a lil misty eyed on the best that never was

Gigi26 says:

When they said his momma told em to open the casket when they were at the cemetary so she can see him for one last time…that was beyond fukked up :no:

He would’ve been hella old and retired now…

Gigi26 says:

Oh and when ole girl was singing “Going up Yonder” I had the lump in my throat :yes: :lol:

NaijaGal says:

Carl queened the hell out on 9.79…I think him and Andre were lovers

iWhip says:

Candi! :waves: <—free month of netflix

Nikke :dance:

brownskin A.K.A Creamy says:

Oh My FeFE how can “I forget you when Nikke said so forgive me love

:hug: and :waves:

renegadesince1985 says:

I have this DVR’d but I haven’t watched it as yet… I love the 30 for 30 series! Been catching up on them on Netflix. The ones about Ricky Williams and Reggie Miller/Knicks were great! :thumbsup:

iWhip says:

:dead: atcho gravi Angie :ghost:

candibfly says:

fay :wave: <— the punky brewster dvd's u need to send me cause i only have streaming

iWhip says:

i’m so lost! :crying:

candibfly says:

i saw the ricky williams one and i thought he had some sort of mental illness that wasn’t being addressed.

brownskin A.K.A Creamy says:

you can find them on youtube just type in 30 for 30

Angiegirl says:

iWhip says:

:dead: atcho gravi Angie :ghost:

Aint nothing wrong wit clean ballz :no:

Gumbumper says:

We all miss you here in Chicago Benji, this brought back so MANY memories…but I still got my obituary from the funeral.

iWhip says:

Candi chile we in the same bout. i couldnt fade paying no more than 8.99/mo with them no mo. so yeah we just stream too :coffee:

i’m thinking about upgrading to ONE dvd/mo iono yet.

in other news my new plan is to get fired from not doing chitness :yahoo:

iWhip says:

but i REALLY need this upgrade on my fone next month. ion think my fone will make it till april when my contract is over. fck a contract. i wanna pay as u go. tmobile got a unlimited plan for $50/mo vs the 85 i’m paying now with ATT & the chit aint eem unlimited! :blink:

candibfly says:

u better get u a boost mobile. i don’t even use all my lil 450 minutes on my phone but i think i got grandfathered in with the unlimited data which is what i really need.

Gigi26 says:

—————————————————————-
      Do you think his baby moms set him up? Something just seemed a little fishy with the whole “robbery” story….

AWESOME says:

@Fayla You come out way cheaper paying full price for a phone upfront and getting a prepayed plan. The only thing you really get with a normal contract is a subsidized phone. Over the life of the usual two year contract you’d save around half.

AWESOME says:

@Gigi I said the same thing. There were a lot of details that were glossed over.

NaijaGal says:

But didn’t the actual shooter say he was mad cause dude kept talking reckless to him???

<—–Virgin Mobile mayne. $25dolla but Ive been on it about 4 years and my plan was grandfathered in @Fay. But its only 45 now, I think.

If I buy a new phone it goes away…thats why i tell them my phone "just died" :ashamed:

____________________________________
      Same here. Unlimited data. :yes:

Gigi26 says:

@Naija: See that’s the thing though!

Dude said Benji was talking reckless to him but at the actual trial and their signed confessions, they all said that they tried to rob Benji…Ion now but me thinks the baby moms set that up….

AWESOME says:

The same guy said the other dude had nothing to do with it yet he was charged and sentenced too.

@NikkeMinxx says:

When my contract is uo Im going prepiad… I’m not here for this $200/month sprint is getting… 2 smartphones with unlimited everything. My little brotther will have to figure out his own cellular situation…

Angiegirl says:

Anybody watch X factor?

What’s ur take on the final picks?

AWESOME says:

@Nikke I had my little sis on my plan and she worked at a Kindercare and got a 25% discount with Sprint. She’s not on my plan anymore but they don’t check after you the discount applied. :thumbsup:

@NikkeMinxx says:

I missed the entire Season 2… but saw all of Season 1. The one Ice Cube directed about the Raiders was good and I liked one about Marion Jones…

One Night In Vegas which covered Tupac’s death after the Mike Tyson fight almost didnt seem like it belonged int he lineup but it was decent all the same…

@NikkeMinxx says:

@Awesome.. Bruh, that’s wit’ the Corporate discount. LOL. Oh and FYI every now and then they will send an email and you have to scan/email or bring in to the store some proof that you still qualify.

AWESOME says:

:no: My brother got the same discount years ago when he worked at Home Depot and his is still on as well.

hell_on_heels says:

I seen this special, it was very sad. They showed parts of his funeral…simply tragic. What’s sad is the senseless killings in Chicago, Detroit and other urban cities…nearly 30 years later it’s still an issue….

pointhimout says:

I remember this and still can’t believe it’s been 28 years. it was the first of many “high school” students getting shot and killed that I could remember. What could’ve been huh….

mzwhang90210 says:

Wow…this was a good show!!
      Thanks for posting Sandra!! :thumbsup:

J Said it! says:

Benji… R.I.P another senseless one

Dhoward1913 says:

Great story. Extremely touching. R.I.P Benji.