Once again, Russell Simmons Defends Violence in Hip Hop

I was waiting for Hip Hop apologist Russell Simmons to defend the latest incidence of senseless violence in Hip Hop, and Russell did not disappoint. Simmons is always quick to defend rappers who commit assault, rape and other offenses. This time he used a woman to do his dirty work for him.

In an editorial published on Simmons’ blog Global Grind, Evanka Williamson defended Chicago rapper Lil Reese’s actions in a viral video that shows him brutally beating a young woman last year. Reese is also under investigation in the shooting death of 16-year-old Chicago rapper Lil Jojo.

It’s worth noting that Lil Reese did not apologize for his violent behavior until radio program directors and DJs threatened to boycott his records.

Still, Miss Williamson cited Reese’s childhood growing up in a single mother household in Chicago as a contributing factor in his refusal to behave like a grown man.

“He is clearly a product of his environment, an environment that exists in our country,” she writes. “The South Side of Chicago, like many inner cities, has nothing for these kids to productively do with their time.”

There are barely any afterschool programs and more often than not, they are living in a single-parent home, with a working guardian who likely does not have the time to constantly shield their children from the drugs and gangs right outside of their front door.

She continues: “Is it so surprising that kids like Lil Reese could care less about life, or the consequences of their actions when the world seems to not care about them?”

Meanwhile, Sasha Johnson has created a Petition to let Def Jam know that consumers do not support artists who abuse women.

Please SIGN THE PETITION at this LINK.

• Cops investigating rapper who beat woman in viral video
  • Lil Reese’s Beating Victim Responds to Video
  • Real men in Hip Hop respond to Lil Reese hitting a woman (video)
  • Blogger: ‘Russell Simmons hasn’t paid me since January’

88 Responses to “Once again, Russell Simmons Defends Violence in Hip Hop”

INTENSEMOCHA THE ANTAGONIST says:

START SNATCHING THIS RECORD DEALS AND STOP FUNDING THEIR LAVISH LIFESTYLES, I GUAROOOONTEEE THIS NICCAS WOULD BE MORE HUMBLE AND WALK A STRAIGHT LINE

WHEN DEALING WITH SOME MEN AND SPECIFICALLY BLACK MEN, MONEY OR THE LACK OF IT IS THE ONLY THING THAT GETS THEIR ATTENTION

mrsloveleigh says:

I don’t see how anyone can make excuses for this behavior. Where were these same people when the Rhianna/Chris Brown situation popped off? They ame to this womans house uninvited and then beat her when she asked them to leave

YSoSrs says:

Here we go with this sht. :rolleyes:

mrsloveleigh says:

I agree Mocha. the threat of money hits that reset button everytime

Sweet-tea says:

Too much violence every where. This person and that person got killed….that’s all you hear the first 30 mins of daily news!

lovezoe says:

Excuses are like tail holes…. Okay, check this IG someone had best his mama up, what would he have done?

:rolleyes:

INTENSEMOCHA THE ANTAGONIST says:

AND THIS LIL NICCA WAS NOT UNDER AGE AT THE TIME HE COMMITTED THIS CRIME, HE WAS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER, SO WHAT DA HELL AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS AND SINGLE MAMA’S GOT TO DO WITH IT

AT A CERTAIN AGE YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN DAMN ACTIONS AND BLAMING YOUR UPBRINGING OR PAST OR USING IT AS AN EXCUSE IS A COP OUT, IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH SINCE TO LAND A RECORD DEAL THEN THOSE SAME COMMON SENSE SHOULD WORK WHEN IT COMES TO STOPPING YOURSELF FROM PUTTING YOUR HANDS ON SOMEBODY

VDot says:

My job has the site to sign the petition blocked, but please believe I will sign later today. Sh*t like that is disgusting. That lil nicca was hoping twenty feet in the air to stomp on that girl. #Datsthat****Idontlike

free says:

how about f*cking STUDYING? READING a godd*mn book? joining an extracurricular activity at SCHOOL? if we didn’t have shyt to do in my house, we had to WORK. wash the clothes. mop the floors. do a book report.

Donna del Gatto says:

yeah, he always blames the environment of these folks…he’s said that once that changes then people will change…but yeah, whatevs…

brownskin A.K.A Creamy says:

Lil ****
      lil asshole
      lil cum collector

When Will it End Damn
      Im sick this “lil” Chyt aint yall M’F Grown now :wail:

INTENSEMOCHA THE ANTAGONIST says:

WHATEVER MEN I MEAN MALES WERE PRESENT AND DIDNT’ STOP IT AND WHUP HIS ARSE ARE PUZZIES TOO, I DIDN’T WATCH THE VIDEO SO I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED OR WHO STOPPED IT

Keesh says:

I grew up in a single parent home…does this mean I can go and beat the shiat out of my coworker cause I dont like her azz…Let me know ASAP cause Im bout to get it poppin BEFO LUNCH!!!

INTENSEMOCHA THE ANTAGONIST says:

AND IF IT’S TRUE REGARDING YOUR ENVIRONMENT, BASED ON MY OWN AND OTHERS PERSONAL TESTIMONIES ON THIS SITE ALONE, SHOULDN’T WE ALL BE VIOLENT OFFENDERS, HOW DID WE OVERCOME OUR PAST/UPBRINGING/ENVIRONMENT AND NOT BEHAVE LIKE THIS??

MsB says:

@mrsloveleigh :cosign:

They dang near had a lynch mob out for Chris Brown and he is said to have grown up in a violent household but there were no excuses for him.Shame on them all, not only did dude come in her home uninvited they jumped that girl… But this dude get a pass? :no:

Blackswan says:

There is no excuse for this. He didnt show any signs of remorse until the backlash was about to mess his money up. SMH.

Trendsetter says:

________________________________

I guess since I’m from Chicago and I have a nephew that is involved in a lot of things this statement isn’t fair…it’s plenty of things for the youth to do…is either they don’t want to do it or the parents don’t have time to take them to the different functions the city offer…and a lot of them are FREE! Its many youth organizations and churches that have so many activites for kids to participate in…to keep them off the streets of Chicago!

Keesh says:

That video was just sick and his azz need to be in jail. On the other hand you have the chick he hit almost excusing the violence. She said they got into a fight…not he beat my azz

Blackswan says:

And to blame his mess on being raised by a single parent?? No, ma’am. In this world we all have a choice you can either let your environment (good or bad) make or break you.

mrsloveleigh says:

Once again I agree. If everyone held on to their “bad childhood” or “bad environment” we wouldn’t have any good people in the world. We had some horrible circumstances a time or two when were kids and we overcame them

YSoSrs says:

@TREND

Exactly. I keep my kids occupied and it’s not hard to do. Mothafckers is just lazy. :no:

DoNotDeleteMe says:

We need to boycott Russell Simmon’s spittin’ lipse! Ugh! :hurl:

mrsloveleigh says:

I’m tripping on how the girl who got jumped is just like ok we had a fight and what. Hello you are a woman!! No man should fight a woman the way he fought her. That was some bi**hazzness

WorkInProgress says:

every pic of him gives me the creeps. He looks so soul-less.

San says:

I think the problem is them having no proper supervision, left them room to do whatever the Hell they wanted. Which they continue to still do this day. I’m sure that ish is the norm around their way. There are people out there that have no concept of doin the right thing or just really don’t care. A sad world its turning into.

Keesh says:

His music should be banned. He was jumping up and down on that girl head with he sneakers on… Disgusting

I have a lot of fears for my children but there is one fear that I have for my daughters that is constantly on my mind. I pray that neither of my daughters ever get caught up with or fall in love with an abusive azzhole of a man!!!

I’m am so tired of seeing this child’s face. He’s a nobody and this story is last week’s news. Please let us forget he is alive.

Milky says:

___________________________________
      I agree i keep my sons occupied either with extra curricular activities, work around the house, or my fav go read a book!!!!

DoNotDeleteMe says:

We need to boycott Russell Simmon’s :cosign:

Trendsetter says:

YSoSrs says:

@TREND

______________________________

Very lazy!!!

tintin1979 says:

i do not know these little boy rappers music. are they any good?

kingstonn says:

reading this let’s me know that cause i was raised by teen parents, i can go barge in someone’s house & beat the sht outta em for trying to kick me out. lemme go do that now. :rolleyes:

thanks Russell Simmons!

mzwhang90210 says:

This lil dummy jumped in the air and stomped down on that girls head. Kicked and fought her like he was getting paid to do it. To hell with excuses, and to hell with this wack chick.
      Let somebody stomp and kick her in her OWN house and see what kinda tolerance she’d have! FOH

kingstonn says:

that damn “i don’t like” remix with Kanye is catchy as hell tho… :wail:

free says:

i wonder what daddy russ would think if that was lil ming or aoki getting whaled on like that?

WorkInProgress says:

We need to boycott Russell Simmon’s
      …..
      Never supported anything Russell did (Kimora Lee included)

Blackswan says:

I was listening to a Yo gotti mix cd this weekend and he remixed dont like too didnt realize these were the same ppl until he shouted out chief keef

Ty says:

_________
      So this makes his actions acceptable :smack: She just described a majority black households in the US. What Reese is experiencing is a pattern of no education, self esteem, will power, and parenting. What difference does it make if afterschool is available when they are not going school :shrug: If his mom was a single parent I doubt that she graduated from hs or worked. Usually moral and productive parents instill those same traits and values in their kids. I am convinced they are crack babies :coffee:

Pinterest_Nazi says:

:blink:

Pinterest_Nazi says:

Oh hey.. :wave:

kingstonn says:

does that banner really say “don’t let the democratic goons win” ? :no:

Bedazzled His Razzle says:

kingstonn says:

that damn “i don’t like” remix with Kanye is catchy as hell tho…
      ————
      I agree :lol: I just like Pusha T and Kanye’s part… I havent Listened to the song in months since I heard about what Cheief Keef was like..him and his whole crew.

Donna del Gatto says:

@Pinterest

‘sup *head nod*

cheeks8683 says:

Just signed it :yahoo: we need to stand for something….Clearly Rihanna is no longer a poster child for over coming domestic abuse #harshiknow

Morning roses!

Keesh says:

Milky says:

___________________________________

free says:

*****************************

Chile boo. You know his kids ain’t never seen nothin like this. He is content in the knowledge that both his girls will bring home nice white boys.

:wave:
      PineTREST
      Cheeks

Brr its a lil chilly here in So.fla me No Likey!

Pinterest_Nazi says:

Sup Do…nna

Pinterest_Nazi says:

Yo Luv, how you doing?

Diva says:

You muthasuckers left me downstairs agane!!!!! I hate ya’ll!!!!!!!!!!

@PineTrest . . .
      Im :mad: its Monday!! aaaugh! But well and you :hug:
      Diva!! cut it!

MsB says:

I just signed the Petition :cheer:

:waves: Hey Roses

Diva says:

I had some pineapples for breakfast :woohoo: #yallcare

Carmez79 says:

there are plenty of individuals who managed to come from single parent homes in neighborhoods just as bad as Chicago so please stop using that as an excuse. just bec you are from a single parent home in a bad neighborhood does not mean you can not make something meaningful of yourself. all the people who fought for our rights grew up with worse conditions that we face today yet they managed to make something of themselves and do right.

Diva says:

luVn_liFe… says:

@PineTrest . . .
      Im its Monday!! aaaugh! But well and you
      Diva!! cut it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Well umkay! But ya’ll better tell my azz when there is a new post…

WorkInProgress says:

………..
      she gave up that spot to Evelyn Hozado.

lexdiamonz says:

INTENSEMOCHA THE ANTAGONIST says:

:cosign:

I DESPISE RUSSELL SIMMONS … and your “enviroment” is what you choose it to be…. SO SICK of Black men blaming their irresponsible,disrespectful behavior on their “hood” and they didn’t have no daddy … GTFOHWTBS THEN BE A DADDY to your own kids (multiple ones at that) and break the CYCLE!!!!! and NO i am not talking to ALL BLACK men just the ones out there acting like this and I am sure Russell does not invite him to his “Hamptons” parties yet profits off his and his other ghetto artists phuckery

cheeks8683 says:

My sister and I were left alone during the summers and after school staring at the age of 6 because my mother could not afford daycare By all accounts we should have been knocked up and on welfare by 16.

She taught us how to dial 911, kick, bite, and yell if grabbed by a stranger…Today we are both college graduates both working on our Master degrees…. So yeah uh after school programs have nothing to do with creating law abiding citizens… :coffee:

Pinterest_Nazi says:

Just ate garlic mashed potatoes, broccoli, and baked chicken all mixed together like a god damn pioneer woman!

DoNotDeleteMe says:

:offtopic:

Toni “Bankrupt 50-11 Times” Braggston is blaming Fried Okrah Winfrey for the demise of her career…all because the Queen Beef called her out for purchasing Gucci flatware when her pockets were only deep enough to purchase a 12 oz can of coca-cola…guhl bye! :tea:

MsB says:

Milky says:

______________________________________

Ha my oldest daughter at the age of 7 schedule is tight mon-fri she has activities and the weekends are our days as a family. But its to the point that she and my 3 yr old( cant really read) comes to me and are like “ok mama, I’m done and I’ve already read” :lol: No time for the streets!!

kahmmillion says:

Sad that black women are always being blamed for everything that goes wrong in the black community. When they say “single parent” they are saying single mothers.

When are they going to start putting the blame on the bum a$s black men that run off and forget that they have sons and daughters behind that need a father’s guidance?

Doesn’t matter if you are a child’s mother or if you were married to the dude, if he leaves you/divorces you, then you are both in the same boat…a single parent. Doesn’t matter if a court orders him in a divorce decree to give you cs or if you are his child’s mother and you take him to court and they order him to pay cs. If he doesn’t want to pay, the divorce decree nor the cs order isn’t going to make him pay or be a father to the child.

mzwhang90210 says:

:waves:
      Sandra!
      LuvN
      Divurrr (aww look at the cutie boo)
      Razzle
      Kingston
      San
      Yso
      Vdot

Speaking of spending time with your cotdamn kids, I took the little one skating Saturday. First of all my hair was not done and they told me I couldn’t wear my hat on the floor. So I did the best I could brushing my fro with my wig brush and put it in a single french braid. You can imagine how that looked. Then my fat azz kept skating til I felt the heart attack coming on and took a break and went right back out there. By the time I left I had two sweat stains under my boobies. Quite the site I tell ya.

lexdiamonz says:

AND i am sorry but with the INVENTION of the internet there is NO EXCUSE for anyone to be uneducated and simple minded tell our youth to stop watching 2 chains BASIC AZZ and logon to KAHN ACADEMY sometimes…..

:newpost: !” DIVAROOOOOOOOOOOO ” :newpost:

MsB says:

:waves: Good Morning Diva

Blackswan says:

lol @Bird the things we do for the kids

Pinterest_Nazi says:

Malik Payne

lol @ Bird! You did better than me. I would have sat on the side and watched them skate. Sweat is a freeze curl killer! :lol:

Sam says:

everyone is a product of their enviroment whether it is good or bad. You either do the same or the opposite of what you are surrounded by.

anyhoo 4:20

mornin everybody :hi:

Diva that baby is gorgeous!!! :yahoo:

Sam says:

Sweat is a freeze curl killer!
      ^^^
      :ghost:

goat76 says:

Snatching record deals won’t do any good. They can make more being independent.

lola says:

I too am a product of the inner city. I chose to get degrees and work for things I wanted.
      #choices :coffee:

It pains me to put up this next post. It really does… :no: :(

lexdiamonz says:

lola says:

EXACTLY!!!!

UNLIKE most third world countries we have the freedom of choice ….. there is a WAR going on for your minds….

Ty says:

goat76 says:

Snatching record deals won’t do any good. They can make more being independent.
      ______
      They’re not bright enough to go independent thats why they’re with Def Jam :coffee:

lexdiamonz says:

:rofl: @ Ty

so true

ashersaharai says:

Disgusting, cant believe they even signed this peasant. But I’ve learned a long time ago that this industry is driven by money, nothing else.

ReadingIsFundamental says:

When Sandra posted that picture of him holding all that money, I laughed. I thought hmmmm so, that is either his front money from a label that he OWES back or that’s his drug money before he gives the supplier the 80 percent cut, 10 percent to his momma, crew and chicks and buys a new pair of kicks and a chain … and then…… broke.

I have never ever never heard of this dude. Russell and his people shouldn’t even give this lame any type of shine. These enabling ass comments do not help motivate our youth to want better.

pointhimout says:

yeah he and that lil jojo guy seemed to have beef that went too far. both are alleged gang bangers. lil reese could be heard on one clip telling jojo he was gone kill him. that same day, hours later, lil jojo was dead.

they’re too young to be caught up in nonsense and basically planning their own funerals. you read some of their twitter pages and these lil cats are like 16-19 talking about i’ma die soon. wtf?

pointhimout says:

Russels a clown. He tweets bs for attn. I’m convinced. He tweeted ‘RIP Natina’ just to be one of the first ones to break bad news. He aint GAF about that lil chick.

Also, I kinda get pissed that these lil kids get record deals and are violent, bad as hell, and got records. Steve Harvey was talking about some mentor program a month or so again. I’m like phuck that; hell, I did everything right and nobody mentored and gave me schit. I guess I should;ve held up a store or two, did some grand theft auto and then cried where my daddy to get some attn.

datsmdubya2u says:

_____________________________

well ish sandra thats true. I wish everyone who grows up poor, lonely neglected, abused, not educated, and ignored in the society had the Super Human strength to rise above it an never make a bad choice but its not possible. Yes a few do it but most are just normal human beings and cannot.

Taboo01 says:

Being raised in a single parent home has nothing to do with his behavior. Many Americans grow up in a single family and turn out to be productive citizens. Now if I were here that would have ended a little differently.

Reporter: “Ma’am why did you stab him?”

Me: “Did you see the tape?” (as I’m being led to the police car in handcuffs)

Reporter: “Yes I did and I must say that was a gruesome attack!”

Me: “Guarantee he’ll think twice before put his hands on a female again.” “Aint nobody got time for dat.” (in my sweet brown voice)

Reporter: “ There you have it folks”

Taboo01 says:

**Many Americans grow up in a single family home and turn out to be productive citizens.

**Now if I were her that would have ended a little differently.