Jada Pinkett Defends Daughter Willow’s Boyish haircut

Jada Pinkett and Willow Smith

Actress-singer Jada Pinkett-Smith lashed out at critics on Facebook who dared to criticize her daughter, Willow Smith’s boyish haircut.

In a recent PEOPLE magazine article, Jada, 41, responded to critics on Facebook, saying, “This is a world where women, girls are constantly reminded that they don’t belong to themselves; that their bodies are not their own, nor their power or self determination.”

Jada continued: “Willow cuts her hair because her beauty, her value, her worth is not measured by the length of her hair. Even little girls have the RIGHT to own themselves and should not be a slave to even their mother’s deepest insecurities, hopes and desires.”

Willow’s dad, actor Will Smith, also opined on his 12-year-old daughter’s personal lifestyle choices in an interview with Parade magazine: “When you have a little girl, it’s like how can you teach her that you’re in control of her body? If I teach her that I’m in charge of whether or not she can touch her hair, she’s going to replace me with some other man when she goes out in the world.”

The Smith’s unorthodox parenting techniques includes permissive parenting — a technique that involves pretending not to notice your children are spiraling out of control because failure is not an option for narcissists.

“While these parents are very loving and nurturing, they often seem more like a friend to their child rather than a parental figure.”

The Smith’s also don’t seem to notice — or don’t care — that their youngest son, Jaden, 14, is struggling with his sexual identity.

Jaden Smith

• Medical Minute: Narcolepsy
  • Will Smith Says his kids won’t ‘break’ under the weight of independence
  • Will Smith Pimp Slaps Russian Reporter for Disrespecting His Manhood (Video)
  • Is Willow Smith trying to tell us something?
  • Photos: FamyFlynet Pictures and Gvk/Bauer Griffin

155 Responses to “Jada Pinkett Defends Daughter Willow’s Boyish haircut”

Aryanna says:

Shut up Jada.. You are her mother and you’re suppose to guide her. When I was 12.. I had no opinion. When you are young like that.. You don’t really know what’s good for u. Think about all the 12 year olds who THINK they wanna be like Nicki Minaj lol

Smonae80 says:

Soo basically these kids raising themselves :tea:

AlluringlySweet says:

Ummmmm I have a question…..are both those pics Willow? Cuz if not….some is amiss.

Lucky704 says:

Funny how money changes things, when you come from nothing you want to be everything, but when you have everything you become nothing. Get ya kids before the world does.

VicKaLiCious says:

They must follow the same parenting practices as Angelina Jolie. She let her 4 yo chose to be a boy.

scorpio says:

Both kids are struggling with their sexual identity. Clearly Willow is, but Sandra you just put Jaden on the radar.

A.J. says:

Good Evening Thorns! Sandra!

Her head lookin a fool! Bottom line she needs a hot-comb asap.

__________________________________
      :dead: :applause:

AlluringlySweet says:

@Lucky you hit the nail on the head.

Bella Master says:

I really don’t think the parents are doing anything wrong :shrug:

OH SR, now you gonna have the luminadi coming up in here talmbout these scientoligists’s kids and thangs :rofl:

scorpio says:

For both parents to have to address this, first Jada, then Wil, there must be some serious struggling gone on with Willow.

Not my children…so not my problem…

Sounds like he’s on drugs IMB :huh:

AlluringlySweet says:

SR –> :rules: “Read My Post!”

GellySammich says:

DTTS you ever come up with that new emote story you were supposed to tell?

missmiami says:

why this fool got me watching Gangland. Ugghhhhhhhhhh anyway, I like Jada but I dont agree with her justification and making excuses for her daughter.

AlluringlySweet says:

:) I know right….

Gelly Hmmm :thinking: It might be safe! SR is at the strip club :D

Okay, what you want me to talk about? *ready to be bad*

GellySammich says:

whatever your random little heart desires… just add boobs

FuturedocDonte says:

My mama told me that one of them boys is dating a kardashian :shocked:

*jeopardy music*

Sam says:

I really don’t think the parents are doing anything wrong

^^^^

me either :shrug: Maybe this is how she likes too look and there is nothing wrong with that. I think what she said is beautiful and the truth. It’s just clothes, I let my tinkerbell leave the house in rain boots and ballerina tutu’s. Unless we are going somewhere where there is a dress code I let her pick out her clothes sometimes I’m like :blink: I just shake my head and say that’s my baby and keep it moving

*claps hands together* Ewww, you want me to be nasty! Alrighty then! :danban:

@Donte
      I heard Jaden was datin Kylie or Kendall… don’t know which is which but :shrug: and…

Sam says:

^^^^^^^

beautiful…..

Gelly, I’s scared now :scared: but gimme a sec….

A.J. says:

___________________________________
      I gag and stuff. I completely did not ready this last tidbit. That MisFit t-shirt tho and capri’s….

@DTTS anywhere but here!

yu know i caught a cramp this morning in my leg while driving :crying:

THEE WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD AT THAT MOMENT!

Oncetagain, I’m going to refrain from judging until these children get a little older. Who knows? Maybe their hippy parenting will work. As for Willow, maybe she just gay and that’s why she likes to look like a boy. :shrug:

:lol: Sam, you said “beautiful” and I said “drugs” :rofl:

Sam says:

oan
      :hi: everybody hope everyone has a good weekend!!!!!
      and thanks again for wednesday whew! I’m still laughin :rofl:

A.J. says:

*read, i hate typos!

get to gettin woman…

<~~~~~~~~~~ not having children…i don't have time for that :lol:

That’s dangerous :warning: Frenchie, drink more water!

:pigsfly: <–magic carpet to take you wherever you like (Coming To America bride voice)

maybe they both are =/

:bye: Sam

Are you leaving cause of me?! :wail

Femme Fatale says:

Will and Jada pay the bills in their house, so they get to make the rules. At least that’s what my momma used to always say to me. :shrug:

Black men and boys are killing each other at an alarming rate on the streets of Chicago….have been for years. Who cares how Willow chooses to wear her own damn hair. There are for more important issues to discuss. Some folks won’t like and others will. I think she’s a cutie and very talented. Do you, Willow!

get to gettin woman…
      Okay, Okay

On Topic
      Jada is like :nono: (<–#8's ) MY daughter had thee right to look :nino: if she wants to and my son had thee right to look all :eatme: if he wants to too Hmmmp!

Aryanna says:

VDot says:

“Even little girls have the RIGHT to own themselves and should not be a slave to even their mother’s deepest insecurities, hopes and desires.”

:heart: this line!

I may even pull a Beyonce and steal this quote ;)

:hi: Dimpz

:waves: <–Christmas List (tiered) @New Girl :rofl:

FuturedocDonte says:

My mama told me that one of them boys is dating a kardashian
      ******************

Supposedly Jaden has the hots for one of them, but she looks at him like a son because he’s 3 years younger than her. lol

Gelly, 42 was a mini-story :ashamed: #immadobetter

GellySammich says:

own themselves schmone themselves… my chirrens in MINEZ dammit

missmiami says:

So Reginae is ONLY 14YRS OLD :blink:

but she looks at him like a son because he’s 3 years younger than her. lol

I had to re-re-re-read this to “get it” :rofl:

===============
      Gelly, I’mma go steal some font and do it like that. I have bean drinking and can’t think of a good one :shrug:

GellySammich says:

lol DTTS it wasn’t nan new emote in that whole story
      you’re fired

GellySammich says:

save it for later DTTS… I want a good one so I can wait until next week. Don’t let me down woman.

i would love to walk around naked

@DTTS but yo ass don’t drink water :coffee:

Sam says:

Aryanna says:

^^^^

does not take away from her statement. I’m sure she would tell her no :shrug:

French KI$$E$ says:

i would love to walk around naked
      I must have skipped some font cuz this seems so random right now :lol:

:wail: Gelly but I used 3 :wail: Oh a new emote, SR gives passes for overusing the new toys.

:thinking: BRB

Sam says:

Dimpz why never :hug: :hi:

^^^^^^^

beautiful…..
      ______________________________________

:cosign:

@DTTS but yo ass don’t drink water :coffee:

:cuss: BUT I’m not the one :steer: with leg cramps.

I have convinced myself that if I eat enough fruit and veggies, ION need no bloody water. :tea: <–not water.

________________________

^^^ reaching. Apples to oranges for me.

Hopefully no one will think to rape her cause she cut her hair off. A nude body might incite some chit from the “boys who cant help themselves” :eek:

ShaunieBear! :hug: :kiss:

New Girl… :2dance:

@ Sam…Have a nice weekend :hug;

^^^^^^^

beautiful…..
      ______________________________________

:cosign:

<–said Drugs :lol:
      But ION have a girl, so maybe IONO shatt :hahaha:

@GELLY look here :lol:

“Aryanna says:

So question to all those who think what Jada said was beautiful .. What if willow woke up and decided she wanted to go nude…? Then what ? Still beautiful ?”

________________________

DTTS :hahaha:

Sam says:

^^^ reaching. Apples to oranges for me.

^^^^

OTB :love: :hug:
      I just love your font (#nocrooked)

BUENAS NOCHE MI GENTE! :peace:

Gelly #messy

:scared: <–is behind here playing reindeer twotter games #nolife :grill:

lol I caught on French… carry on with your nudity
      :eek: <— me watching

Dontchall start talmbout water :shotsfired:

iWhip says:

THIS has been the day from HELL ya hurd meh?! HELL i say!! :chase: :cuss:

Kita :hug:

Sam says:

Boys too DTTS :yes:

boys/men need self assurance as well and I see alot of mothers not embrace their boys like their girls in fear of them being “sissy’s”

not saying you

iWhip says:

Dimpz! take me away sugah! :hug:

iWhip :cheer:

Tell me something good :waiting:

bubblicious says:

Leave this damn girl alone. She’s not hurting anybody. Good grief.

Daisy says:

#teamSmithFamily :cheer:

iWhip says:

OTB :hug: oh lawd i gotta sang tonite. neva sang the song. i nervous :scared:

@ Fay…This whole week has been hell. I finished my Xmas shopping today though. Except for 1 person and the stuff I asked you to check for me. :yahoo:

<–Doesn't Talk To Strangers says:

Gelly #messy

:scared: <–is behind here playing reindeer twotter games #nolife :grill:
      CUT! what's my motivation? why would I play these games?
      I HATE TWITTER!! <— method acting

iWhip says:

DDTS :crying: i gots NATHAN! well, i’m finna go, but that’s it! :(

have a great weekend bewski! :hug: xoxo

iWhip says:

*hopes i’m on the list* @Kita :lol:

bye bew, hit me on zee hip #oleskool :peace:

<—Hugs and kisses both my kids like a damned stalker. :yes:

:steer: Where we goin Fay? I can grab Bubb on the way out. :rofl:

But ION have a girl, so maybe IONO shatt
      _____________________________________________

:lol: Hrm im really kind of surprised to see that from you…have you never heard the notion that women seek out men like their fathers or develop conscious or unconscious pulls towards men like them..?

Will is saying..if I tell my daughter what to do with her body (hair) , because of what I/society likes, when she is of age she will just find a man to replace me and tell her what he likes.

No self control for Willow. Same thing her mom said.

Its funny though, cause her mama rocked short hair for years. Why is it so unusual that she would let her kid chop it up. Cray.

Dontchew embarass us iWhip :lol: j/k :hug: You’ll be fine, now go read your words. Errbody gonna be watching yew!

=====================
      Tis ok Fay *licks hand lightly* :lol:

Aryanna says:

________________________

^^^ reaching. Apples to oranges for me.

by OutsidetheBox

Ohhhhh!!! So now it’s reaching but if u look at what Will said.. He was talking about her having control of her own BODY!

___________________________________________________________

:yes: Yup.

missmiami says:

@ whip im on your page finally. im gonna make it my business to try your cookie dough product for my daughter. she got mixed thick curly hair that is always dry. i dont know what to do. funny thing is idk where she gets this hair from. oh yeah, the slave masters fooled around with my ancesters :dead:

Tis very true. All my men been bosses, just like daddy! :yes:

Fay :hug: YOU’LL BLOW THEM AWAY. I know it. :hug:

:ashamed: (lost)
      But that still doesn’t sound right to me :thinking: My daddy was a “you do as I say” daddy. :shrug:

missmiami says:

Hey MsMiami! Sounds like my hair, I like the Citrus the best on my hair, because it seems oilier, my Cookie Dough Whip is in the mail. (next week :eek: )

Aryanna says:

Y’all can say wtf y’all wanna say aint nothing cute about letting these little kids do what they want.. Why do we have parents stupid ****as? To guide us because in the beginning stages.. We don’t know what’s good for us. Willow is crying out for help and y’all dummies overlooking it. No wonder why when people committ suicide the damn parents have no idea why.. People will show u signs..

:eek: Hold up.. mah bad I would have NEVER responded had i seen you say it first.

Real talk, this is why I dont font to you. I piggybacked that off Sam.
      Yall have a good one. :eyeroll:

See. :eek:

They will show you. Just read their font. Good day Roses! Good death by pesticides thorns. :huh:

OTB I was about to ask yew what’s wrong with you Woman! (100) :hahaha:

I got a headache and Avery has a fever.

:wails:

<–is mosying around font :lol:

This post was for AnG! :rofl:

100% usa made! says:

ho Dat says:

I miss the O’G’s Sassy, his, Chibby, Kdub, to name a few..FREE THEM ALL !!!!!
      ——————-
      FREE KDUB dayum it. I miss her. She was sooooooooooo great and funny and beautiful. She liked everybody. Except that bish with the Orange Polaroid Gravi. She couldnt STAND her…SHEWWWW.
      *chants*
      Free Kdub. Free Kdub

SWEAR TO GAWD…. ^^^^^^^^^ this right here had me gor real laughing out loud. Ya’ll was wrong the way ya’ll ran off that london chick!!! Those were the good ole’ days LOL

Aryanna says:

@OutsidetheBox yeah…. Have a good night :)

missmiami says:

i am willing to try anything as not even carols daughter has really worked. her hair super thick and curly.

100% usa made! says:

**fo real** see, I was laughing so hard my azz can’t even type.

100% usa made! says:

ho Dat says:

I miss the O’G’s Sassy, his, Chibby, Kdub, to name a few..FREE THEM ALL !!!!!
      ——————-
      *chants*
      Free Kdub. Free Kdub

========
      Hmmp FREE TATTED, YALL CRAZY, H-TOWN, AND ESPECIALLY HisMommy! :tea:

bubblicious says:

@ARYANNA

I see your ass still don’t know how to have a civil conversation when someone doesn’t agree with you. I don’t know why they ever bother.

missmiami says:

I put wash and detangle, and then put the Whip in while my hair is wet, and it helps me maintain it :yes:

Oh and I lick it too :shrug:

And this friggin dog has two different eyes :hahaha:

See. :eek:

Was this a :nite: ? :eek:

Aryanna says:

by bubblicious on Nov 30, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Prob the same reason why you bothered … But who are you again?

:2dance: oooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      wanna dance with somebodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

wanna feel the heattttttttt
      with somebodyyyyyyyyyyyyy
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

With somebody who :love: me

RIP Whitney :tea:

Welp, I’ve got a few more minutes up in this peace *tries to sober up* :popcorn:

Aryanna says:

Welp… Goodnight ALL.. Have a good weekend :)

100% usa made! says:

<–Doesn't Talk To Strangers says:

100% usa made! says:
      I miss the O’G’s Sassy, his, Chibby, Kdub, to name a few..FREE THEM ALL !!!!!
      ——————-
      *chants*
      Free Kdub. Free Kdub
      ========
      Hmmp FREE TATTED, YALL CRAZY, H-TOWN, AND ESPECIALLY HisMommy!

@ DDTS, I have a great suggestion!! We should ask Aunutie to do a "Get Out Of Ban For Free Week" and let in all of the Banned Posters for the week. If they behave, then they can stay in on probation. You think she'll go for it??

If nobody fonts to you=Unworthy… #helpful
      IJS :tea:

100% usa made! says:

<–Doesn't Talk To Strangers says:

100% usa made! says:
      I miss the O’G’s Sassy, his, Chibby, Kdub, to name a few..FREE THEM ALL !!!!!
      ——————-
      *chants*
      Free Kdub. Free Kdub
      ========
      Hmmp FREE TATTED, YALL CRAZY, H-TOWN, AND ESPECIALLY HisMommy!

===============
      Of course! I mean, she's reasonable! :grill: Let's draft something up :pc:

I don’t understand how a font is so angry!

So yall don’t like the colored contacts that my dog is wearing?

missmiami says:

cool i use detangler already. lemme go head and order this stuff :peace:

100% usa made! says:

A SR reunion wold be great!!! I miss all of the banned posters. Even that crazy one who only liked light skinned and long haired chicks. Watching the way he was dragged on here by the posters was funny..

MsMiami,

Maybe you should order the small containers, that way you can try out different scents and see which one yall like the best. That’s what I did :shrug: #justasuggestion :hug:

100% usa made! says:

ION like him, but ok. And blondon was a racist IMB :yes:

100% usa made! says:

YOUR NAME HERE! says:

I don’t understand how a font is so angry!
      So yall don’t like the colored contacts that my dog is wearing?

Swear to Gawd I just noticed it when you mentioned it, that gravi is a nightmare, LOL

An unidentified man was arrested Thursday at the White House after running at the vehicle carrying former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney to a lunch there.

The man reached into Romney’s open vehicle window as the SUV stopped at a White House gate. He was yelling the candidate’s name when he was hauled away, apparently by a security officer.

Hmmp, next week, Imma “mad font” up in here, up in here (DMX ala Kdub) :rofl:

I have had too much wine, where is MsDiva :warning: <-searchlight

121 was for the bish not for bub IJS…

:egg:
      Omelet

*Dings Bell*

PICK IT UP! :lol:

:egg: <–this mofo mouth stays OPEN :rofl:

:listen: My Posse's On Broadway :dance:

No more drinks for that girl…

I feel like your gravi looks :lol:

Well, not that bad. I have to talk to “the Koreans” in a half hour, so :shrug: :rofl:

*jacked
      Unemployed NBA superstar Kenyon Martin is not a fan of “Basketball Wives” … telling TMZ it not only depicts NBA players in a false light, but explains, “That sh*t is toxic to your soul.”

^^^^
      BUT this mofo has a staph infection up his poop shoot, so he needs to lay low (Whit voice) IMB #hisassisnotmyfault

AlluringlySweet says:

@DTTS, don’t know if you’re still here but, what you sipping on? :thinking: I needs that in my life tonight.

AS
      I mixed two wines together, well not together, but I had 3 glasses of red and two white, but now I gotta talk to the Koreans, so wish me luck :huh:

My bosses drink beer, :nono: but ION want that every Friday! Hmmp!

fyi AS “talking to the Koreans” is not “drunk talk:, it’s Saturday over there and we make them work 1/2 day so that we can finish out our week here.

:nite: Have a safe weekend!

AlluringlySweet says:

Oh ok hmmmm sounds like an interesting mix. Have fun with the Koreans lol :goodnight:

AlluringlySweet says:

Meant :nite:

But I can hardly understand them, & they are blowing my high :lol:
      Fridays at 4-ish we have Happy Hour :cheers:

AlluringlySweet says:

Must be nice, wish my job did that but then it wouldn’t be so good for the patients. Lol I don’t understand them either. When I get my pedicures I want to say so badly “enunciate” #sp

AlluringlySweet says:

Oh I knew what u meant when I said mix I was referencing the wines :)

AlluringlySweet says:

Keesh says:

Its hard with little girls and their so called personal style. I swear I go through a storm every school morning with my 6 ye old daughter cause she want to dress weird. It really ducks with her dad though. She literally cry because she can’t wear what the hell she want to.

sweetsummerayne says:

I don’t know why so many people go after this child. She is a CHILD. So what if she wants to cut her hair off and dress like a boy. It is their child and if they let her do that then let her do that. Whether their parenting is permissive or not how many parents are authoritative and their kids still spiral out of control? Every kid is different and they should be treated as such.

San says:

This day and age parents don’t wanna parent anymore, including some on this board

boonella says:

I suppose I am missing something because I don’t see anything wrong here. Are there any reports of Willow and Jaden acting out? Until I see further proof of their lack of parenting I am going to withhold judgement.

Destinee says:

The little girl just cut her hair. What is wrong with that? I remember my sister had REALLY long hair and she went to her friends house and they cut her hair all off! My mom was frantic but my sister wanted to cut her hair. She was barely a teen ager! If she wants to cut her hair,let her..why are we making a big deal cuz she cut her her short? Why does that mean they are bad parents. Everyone has an opinion about how someone else raises their kids and they dont have kids of thier own. Give me a break!