Searchers find bodies of 2 young boys who drowned during Hurricane Sandy

Glenda and Damian Moore

A Staten Island mother is grieving the loss of her two young sons who were swept away during Hurricane Sandy. Searchers found the bodies of Brandon, 2 and Connor, 4, in marshland about 30 yards from where they went missing Monday.

But Glenda Moore’s story about a large wave ripping the children from her arms is raising troubling questions.

Glenda and Damian Moore wedding photo

Moore, 39, a New York nurse, said she was driving her SUV through flood waters in the Great Kills section of Staten Island, when she lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a tree.

Moore told police she exited the truck and removed her two children as wind and rain from Hurricane Sandy pounded the area. In one version of her story, Moore said the fierce floodwaters flipped over her SUV and swept the boys away.

Moore said she knocked on the door of a home but the home owner refused to let her inside. So Moore sat on a step and cried as she watched the floodwaters that claimed her sons’ lives.

She told police she spent the next 12 hours screaming as she sat on a doorstep, but residents ignored her cries for help.

Moore’s story raises troubling questions. Why didn’t she swim after the boys? The water where the bodies were found was only waist deep. Where was she going in the storm? Why didn’t she heed warnings to stay inside? Where was her husband in the 12 hours that she sat crying on the stoop of a house?

This story sounds very fishy.

• Hurricane Sandy could be biggest storm to hit eastern U.S. in 100 years
  • Death and Devastation As Giant Tsunami Wave Rolls Over Japan Sweeping Houses and Cars With It
  • The Moment When a Tornado Touched Down at St. Louis Airport
  • FYI: the World Ends Tomorrow

79 Responses to “Searchers find bodies of 2 young boys who drowned during Hurricane Sandy”

Betamax82 says:

:pray: to all who have lost someone in this storm and to all who are picking up the pieces so sad

ReadingIsFundamental says:

NU-UH, I am NOT doing this with you right now Sandra! I can not do another post ASSuming about people who have lost loved ones. I have a child and surely I would hope that I could do things right all the time to keep her safe and alive. Assumptions like this will drive that women to killing herself. I need facts that she did something wrong before I throw a stone her way.

anw_rootbeer says:

NO ASSuming only prayers for all!!!

lovezoe says:

:stop: don’t even try it

Keesh says:

I cant do this.

Im praying for you baby girl :pray:

Going back downstairs yall

Was it here that I saw this inexplicable pic? Who the hell are these people? Is one of them the mother? If so, which one?

gbellab says:

Yes extremely SAD. but call me insensitive.. Didn’t you Sandy victims get like 3 days notice that the storm was coming??? Why are you in Sandy’s destruction path, that your children are ripped from your arms by waves of water? Same thing for people hit by trees etc. Why were you outside walking your dog? I AM SORRY but for almost my entire life we have been warned of the BIG ONE (quake) here in Cali.. 3 days notice would be golden.
      Please correct me if I am wrong.

dancerbee93 says:

I cant leave on the sad post here.. I gotta go back downstairs :kona:

mrsloveleigh says:

Maybe she couldn’t swim. The story i read was that the water began filling her house so she fled with the kids but the high water stalled her suv so she got out but the pull of the waves was too strong and ripped the boys from her arms. I would have to drown tryna save my kids

The mother and father are in the top pic. My question is where was he while all this was going on?

Ty says:

Not touching this story :tape: Most mothers would walk through fire for their kids so I cant comprehend why she stood there screaming :nono:

mrsloveleigh says:

I would have to drown tryna save my kids

Exactly. The water was waist high. She sat on a stoop and cried for 12 hours? The rain didn’t last that long.

MzTisch says:

mrsloveleigh says:

^^^^^^^^^
      We going together!

Ty says:

Thank you! The fact that she could stand there screaming means the water was not that high. The real story will come out later.

PiscesRising says:

-Sandra

I have to disagree. That hurricane swept through here and that rain lasted MUCH longer than 12 hours. It was definitely a FULL solid day of rain here in Maryland, so I would gesture to think that in NY, the rain was coming down for an extended length of time as well.

RIP to the children and my prayers to the grieving family.

RIP babies. Not judging NAN!

If it makes you sleep better saying what she shouldve done.. go ahead. Them babies sleep forever though. :(

Here’s to hoping we all make lucid decisions in the most stressful times of our lives. :(

Yall have agood one.

Milky says:

im not goin to really comment on this because i dont know the full story, but this is horrific and i am :pray: for everyone involved. I will wait to see what the husband has to say about everything!! DEM POOR BABIES!!!

MzTisch says:

Not talking about her specifically. But, I always gave the *side eye* to parents who made it out of fires, but their kids didn’t.

mzwhang90210 says:

I :pray: for this poor couple and the souls of those babies!

I can’t say what Id’ve done..because until you are put in that situation…you really don’t know.

High gales of blinding wind…splashing water…panic…screaming kids…slipping, falling…

I can see how she might’ve been overcome and the kids were swept away.

I hope and pray that IS what happened. And maybe her hubby was out of town or SOMETHING.

This is so sad.

Shock is real. :pigsfly: (downstairs)

WorkInProgress says:

OMG. this world have made us so jaded and so cynical? just :pray: for those precious babies and keep it moving. Am with the other roses in the fun post downstairs :peace:

This sounds like another Susan Smith story, where mother drowns kids to get her man back. :no:

Real classy to put the parent’s grieving pic up there too.

:nite: Outside the box

AlluringlySweet says:

I can only imagine how she feels. I don’t think anyone knows what they would do in extremely stressful situations. Praying for this family’s peace and comfort.

WorkInProgress says:

:bye: everyone. Pls have a safe weekend and dont forget to hug on your kids and tell em how much you love em cos we here today and gone tomorrow.

Jyous1 says:

No judgement because i have never experienced anything like a Sandy or Katrina and I have been praying for those boys since I first heard the story. I know if it were me tho – you would have found all 3 of us drowned or saved together.
      Wonder would it still raise suspicions if she weren’t a woman of color?

Diva says:

As much as I hate too..I’m going back downstairs with Frankenberry!

Diva says:

:wave: Bye WIP

Ty says:

I wouldnt take it to that extent but I definitely would’ve died trying to save my babies

Have a good weekend all :peace:

Donna del Gatto says:

@PiscesRising

Ughhh…. :rolleyes: j/k :lol: :hugs:

This story is unfortunate…I will admit some details are fuzzy….May those babies rest in peace…

Have a good weekend everyone!

dada76 says:

6 to 12 inches of moving water can take an adult of of there feet. The water may have been waste high but moving water is very powerful. Anyone that was here in NY knows how bad the weather was I wasn’t near the water but the wind was crazy I can only imagine how bad it was with wind and water. Let’s not just pray for the family.

Milky says:

I will wait to see what the husband has to say about everything!!

Does anyone know where he was the whole time?

Anna says:

~~~~~~
      A woman in Chicago stabbed her kids. She slit both their necks, she stabbed her son 100 x. She was getting back at her husband for only being home on the weekends(truck driver), not buying her flowers like he use to. She had to take a job being a maid. She killed her kids, so her husband could feel how hurt, he made her. SMH.

MzTisch says:

99% of mothers would have drowned trying to save their kids. She goes in the opposite direction. :no:

MzTisch says:

@Anna,

The boy was hers, she was babysitting the little girl. She killed her because she was a witness.

@ AlluringlySweet: I just want to know where the husband was. If he was with another woman, it’s pretty easy to guess what happened.

Lucky704 says:

When I first read this story I didn’t understand it, I would not be her to tell it. I would :casket: for mines no questions. I :pray: for that family and anyone else that felt the raft of the storm.

Anna says:

MzTisch says:

@Anna,

~~~~~~~~
      Thanks. I forgot the girl wasn’t hers. How the heck you kill someone elses child like that.

That’s a sad story, Anna. :(

Anna says:

@MzTisch. That woman was here on a Visa for a minute.

MzTisch says:

@Auntie,

They are giving the detectives, paramedics, and all those at the scene mandatory counseling because the scene was so gruesome.

What got me was she stood screaming for 12 hours? That part made no sense to me. :no:

AlluringlySweet says:

@Sandra I try not to jump to conclusions in matters like this. Perhaps her husband was off the island and trying to get back. Maybe he was at work. What does he do?

AlluringlySweet says:

The way that woman stabbed those children was demonic. There is NO excuse for that. She sounds like a sociopath.

@ AlluringlySweet: Hopefully the questions of his whereabouts will be answered soon.

Crickett says:

I dont think her story is conflicting I think its the media telling different versions of the same event. What I read she was carrying the 2yo and holding the 4yo hand as she exited the car for help and the waters broke her grasp and the currents swept them away, the rush of the current can knock someone off their feet, as you can see in the pics of the damaged houses. What stands at waist level water now,may have been much higher then- especially for a 5’3 woman carrying children. She knocked on doors and was shooed away by residents, no one called 911, she found shelter and stayed there for 12 hours- which was overnight until morning. Husband was at work she was trying to get to her mother in Brooklyn.

mrsloveleigh says:

i’m not passing judgement and am so sorry for the loss of these two kids but i don’t think a hurricane could keep me form looking for them. forget about shelter. this is a sad story

georgia queen says:

The husband was in Brooklyn working. It is disgusting to speculate on what happend and you think you would have done. The investigators have access to ALL the facts and will make their judgements based on those facts, not random speculation.

georgia queen says:

But I do feel you, I wouldn’t rest until I found them, but you don’t know the effects that shock would have on you, and hopefully none of us have to go through her pain.

Crickett says:

she found shelter and stayed there for 12 hours

That’s the part that doesn’t make sense to me. I would find shelter after I found my kids. :no:

Crickett says:

Sandra! She was a nurse, like the police there is a code and you breaking it. Women don’t drown a man’s kids to get him back in love with them, you have more children to keep him. Susan Smith drowned her kids because she wanted freedom to be with her boyfriend, Casey Anthony killed Caley because she wanted to go out and party, those other women heard voices and were probably suffering from post baby depression. I don’t know I wasn’t there but I too would have drowned for my babies- but I would never speculate that she purposely let those babies hands go.

AlluringlySweet says:

If the hurricane had subsided I can understand searching for them. But in the middle of hurricane with the winds, rain and running fliid waters that would be impossible. That woman was probably shell shocked at losing her kids on top of having people turn a blind eye and deaf ear to her call for help. I can not fathom her mental state at that point. It’s a tragic situation all the way around and Monday morning quaterbacking won’t help. I’m sure her husband is beating himself up is well.

AlluringlySweet says:

*flood

Starr says:

The story doesn’t make sense to you because you have twisted it….as you are known to do. This version is the only version of the story I have ever heard.

By all accounts that I have read, except here of course, the boys were in her arms, after taking them out the car seat, so she can get to safety. How about you go stand in front of a powerful wave with kids in your arms so you can get and up close lesson on the power of the water.

Shyt is crazy here right now and for you to sit there and ASSUME, and speculate is quite disgusting.

AlluringlySweet says:

I hope the people she tried to solicit help from see this story and feel like feces. I wonder if she was white if the would have been so quick to turn her away.

Starr says:

@alluring

Thats what so many people are talking about. Hope the sleep good at night.

Carmez79 says:

where was she going? she was going to shelter in bk. obviously she was evacuating. the only troubling question this story raising Sandra is that why didnt the people who live on father capodanno blvd in staten island ny help her? why did the man interviews on cnn say he thought she was a man( and even if she was does he not deserve help?) I will tell you the questions that is raises for me since i was born and raised in staten island. Why during the midst of a storm do staten islanders CONTINUE to let their racism win over common sense and dignity? I have lived on staten island for years and i will tell you that there is a line of segregation that still exist. the whole of south shore you will not find one black person living over there and the looks you get while over there are terrible. the ONLY question that should be raised is why no one helped this woman. the water is shallow NOW but it was not when the storm surge hit. it was dark and windy. Winds that i have never heard in my life! but i dont expect you to understand staten island and its racism like i do

Carmez79 says:

and if she was white trust and believe they would have helped her

@ Carmez79: Thanks for the background. Racist people are everywhere, but I understand what you’re saying. Still, parts of her story just don’t make sense.

AlluringlySweet says:

@Carmez that’s exactly what I’m talking about!! That woman doesn’t look remotely like a man. This is just sad, pray those people don’t EVER get into a life threatening situation and need assistance. What you do to someone else comes back 3 times as hard, good or bad.

DeevaC says:

First before I read the story when I looked at the picture I noticed she was NOT crying. She looked like she was putting on for the camera. Two, my brother fell into a pool as a toddler about 3 maybe 4 years old, my mom can’t swim but she dove into the pool, swam to my brother and rescued him. Another story the flute in our chimney closed while it was on, the house filled with smoke. My mom got both my brother and I out of the house, she was rescued by paramedics unconcious in the house (she survived). The point is this woman did not do enough to save her babies! It is fishy.

KrayZKat says:

My HEARTFELT prayers go out to the parents of these precious boys and their families.

It’s bad enough to lose a child, but two? For strangers to speculate about what a person should or should’ve have done, it makes it all the more tragic. It’s easy to sit back talking about, “I would’ve done this” or “I would’ve done that,” but NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY WOULD DO IN A PARTICULAR SITUATION UNLESS THEY’VE BEEN THERE.

These are the same judgments rape victims get so they never report the rape because people love blaming the victim.

Instead of being judgmental, prayer for them. Two little babies were lost. I just SMH @ the human race sometimes. It’s really sad. Sometime I prefer the company of animals because they aren’t so callous and condemning.

Who is Moore’s story raising questions from?
      You,Authorities,the Media or gossipmongers? Just asking?
      When I first heard this story days ago I didnt have a second thought about the events.
      My only question is where was the dad?
      Someone said working. :shrug:

thatgurljenny96 says:

I blame the mother on her poor judgement. You never go outside when a hurricane is going on. They were told to evacuate before the storm hit. Why would she take them out the car when it stalled is beyond me. She will have to live with the guilt of those boys for the rest of her life.. may those precious, handsome boys R.I.P

thatgurljenny96 says:

from what I seen on cnn and read on other blogs, she said she was going to Brooklyn to be with her family. She said she became scared when the storm hit & called her husband telling him she was leaving.She also said that she knocked on a neighbor’s door and was he wouldn’t help her because he didn’t know her. Then, she said she went to another neighbor and they turned off the lights in the house

@ thatgurljenny96: You’re going by what she said. I’m going by her actions. The truth will reveal itself soon.

supa says:

I just found out that I know the family! I can not tell you how much more broken I am….

It’s not at all what you’re thinking, Sandra. The whole family is grieving and effected…the poor woman made decisions out of desperation, in a middle of a hurricane, alone, in a strange area where she didn’t know, much less know that she was driving into marshland – a place that should have been taped off.

I will report in later, but I thought that I would just put that out there. Oh, and her husband works for sanitation and was commissioned to be out there helping the city, just like most city workers. In situations like this, it’s all hands on deck. The woman is a nurse so she was trying to get her kids to family because, like everyone else who works for the local government agencies and hospitals, she too was expected to report to work. My mother works at Bellevue Hospital and even she, working for the human resources department, is commissioned to help.

This is too sad….

3halos says:

Between this story and the heart-wrenching story about the crazy BEOTCH in my old neighborhood (Naperville, IL) that stabbed her son and the child she babysat over 100 times and 50 times respectively…along with two dogs of the lady she was babysitting for, my heart just dropped. I just can’t with this insanity…

BayMami_de4 says:

The parents are in my prayers.
      So sad.

Anna says:

hatgurljenny96 says:

~~~~~~~~~~
      The guy in the house said he did not know she was knocking at the front door, he said he never saw her, but a man was knocking at the back door, that he did not let in. In a storm does it matter who is knocking at your door. I’d let them in.

free says:

her husband is a utility worker and was working. she lost her grip one one son, and, in trying to get him back, lost the other one. the rest is a helluva MYSTERY. according to people in HER neighborhood, the houses didn’t flood or blow away. she was not in an evac area and she was up hill from flooding. she also took the oceanfront route to a bridge that was closing 10-15 minutes after she left.

the more i pondered over this during the weekend, the madder i felt toward the mom but this is only because i have hurricane experience. i think she just freaked once the storm started whipping up. it IS possible to totally freak out when you start hearing, feeling, and seeing hurricane weather. she took off for the bridge, taking a route she either new well, or was the fastest, but it was the MOST DANGEROUS.

she is probably under heavy sedation. i think she has probably lost it.

free says:

Ty says: Not touching this story Most mothers would walk through fire for their kids so I cant comprehend why she stood there screaming

***************************

clearly yall don’t know much about storm surge, water pressure, high winds, and flying debris :coffee:

free says:

thatgurljenny96 says: Why would she take them out the car when it stalled is beyond me. She will have to live with the guilt of those boys for the rest of her life.. may those precious, handsome boys R.I.P

************************

the car ran into a ditch, rolled, and flooded. unfortunately, those boys got a death sentence as soon as she backed out of her driveway.

free says:

Sandra Rose says: If her husband was somewhere working, his first priority as a man should have been to make sure his wife and kids were safe. He knew a hurricane was coming.

*************************

they were safe. she removed them from a safe situation and put them in hell’s path. she just couldn’t mentally handle the storm and wanted to be with another adult. it happens.

Selle says:

You are so wrong for this, but there are so many things that you couldn’t understand….being in the middle of a hurricane, carrying children with strong winds and waters hitting you, losing your children, being in shock…etc. I think that her first instinct was to get help and when that didn’t work she was just in shock. IT WOULD NOT have been my decision, but I am not judging and couldn’t imagine. RIP to those babies. So many children are dying and its very sad here in the US and overseas.

cocoa49 says:

I wonder who is asking this question? police? or some sick idiot wanting to make news. I’m done