In Case You Missed It: Oprah Interviews LL Cool J

LL Cool J Simone Smith and Oprah

Rap legend-turned-actor James Todd Smith, aka LL Cool J, opened up to talk show Diva Oprah about the darkest days of his childhood and the abuse he suffered at the hands of his mother’s boyfriend.

LL, 45, and Oprah, who turns 59 tomorrow, are soon joined on the couch by LL’s devoted (and long-suffering) wife Simone, 43, who remained with her wayward husband all those years while he sowed his wild oats — because that is what a wife and mother is supposed to do.

LL Cool J Simone Smith and Oprah

Simone said “Putting God first” and “Praying grandmothers” helped to keep their marriage together. Simone added: “A lot of compromise, picking your battles and, you know, respecting each other,” also helped to keep their marriage on an even keel.

Great interview by Oprah. Remember to thank Yardie for making these full videos possible for your viewing pleasure!

114 Responses to “In Case You Missed It: Oprah Interviews LL Cool J”

Mamacita says:

“wife Simone, 43, who remained with her wayward husband all those years while he sowed his wild oats — because that is what a wife and mother is supposed to do.”

:facepalm:

because that is what a wife and mother is supposed to do.
    ~ ~ `

because that is what a wife and mother is supposed to do.”
    ———————
    :smack:

But that new EVE though :woohoo: Oh she bad oh she badd :danban: :whistle:

Flawless says:

boistop says:

:whistle:
    Back seat of my jeep
    Back seat of my jeep

Can I get a Eve post :danban: oh she Badd Badd :whistle:

ohpretty1 says:

Yeah, she’s the poster child for long-suffering, but the rest of that statement :blink:

Kynedy L says:

Yes it is! Not marry him and plot to take all his money 10 years from the date. But then again anyone with that color pigment is less likely to do such things. Ha! The more you know

MaMaCITA!!! :happy:

I use to hear that ole LL like the dookie shoot too :yes:

Crickett says:

Not an advocate for a wife’s mental anguish. But when you don’t have options or means of supporting yourself- yes you stay put and ride it out because your smart enough to know you don’t have a choice.

Nakeya_j says:

Eve got a new song out?! Go Eve….uhh is she still signed to Ruff Ryders?

NaijaGal says:

A lot of compromise
    ==================
    turning a blind eye to your husband fcuking anything moving

respecting each other
    ===================
    but not him respecting his vows

Nakeya_j says:

Eve got a new song out?! Go Eve….uhh is she still signed to Ruff Ryders?

Aye You know style already :whistle: Oh she badd badd oh she baddd baaddd
    :danban: My chick is back :yahoo:

jeniefrumdabloc says:

I use to hear that ole LL like the dookie shoot too
    ——————-
    :ghost:

PumpkinsMama says:

I still think LL :homoswitch:

FuturedocDonte says:

because that is what a wife and mother is supposed to do.
    —–
    Don’t think I wanna get my eyebrows singed off in this kitchen

TODAY IS THE Bawse Boss’ bday Not a good way to start it :|

Auntie must have a Teo’ing thing going on since she knows what a wife/mother is supposed to do…

Betamax82 says:

Respecting each other but you want to sow your wild oats tsk bull :tea:

How many molly’s did LL pop in his life time to make him sweat?

Mamacita says:

luVn :hug: :2dance: Hey guh!

Betamax82 says:

Cute pic Jenie

PumpkinsMama says:

@ Beta, yes, with other menz :tea:

Nakeya_j says:

I still think LL :gay:
    —–
    (i my sing song R.Kelly voice) Down low, down low. Girl he creepin on the down low down low. hahahah

Ty says:

Im glad they got it together because he was :spank: her azz back in the day :coffee:

___________________________________________\

confused? explain what color pigment has to do with this? #seriousquestion

lexdiamonz says:

WHY do LL and his wife have on the same lipstick !!!??? must have been in the back KISSING LOL well AT LEAST LL aint been caught out there in any messy situations (TI/Tiny) don’t ban me blogmother!!!! They look good together

nauni2004 says:

Hate to say it but I kinda ride with Sandy on this one..

I have a friend that i work with..Her and her husband got together young..she was 18 and he was 17. She basically told him..we can be together but we are young. You gotta live your life first…they been married 13 years..

Her parents on the other hand..her dad and mom have been together 33 years Married for 31. They were each others first everything. Her dad jst left her mom after 31 years of marriage for someone else…

A man is gonna be a man regardless. Especially when you are young.

Nakeya_j says:

Bedazzled His Razzle says:

How many molly’s did LL pop in his life time to make him sweat?
    —–
    Reads ^^^^ and starts singing. “popped a Molly I’m sweatin’ whooo” Man who knows. I liek him and all but he is a little strange to me.

So Icy I’m ICY So Icy

All these girls excited

OOO you know they like it

I’m so IIICYYYYY I’m so IIICYYYYY

girl dont try to fight it

all your friends invited

I’m so IIICYYYYY I’m so IIICYYYYY

libra80sbaby says:

I don’t know how I feel about her saying “respect” kept them together because CLEARLY there was NO respect from him if he was continuously cheating. :coffee:

PumpkinsMama says:

@ Ty :shocked: really?

I’m sleepy as hell from drinking yesterday. How do I remedy this?

Caramel Cutie says:

___________________________________________\

confused? explain what color pigment has to do with this? #seriousquestion
    ——————-
    What black celeb couple, young or old, have you known to marry and divorce ten years to date?

MzDimplez1123 says:

I’m sleepy as hell from drinking yesterday. How do I remedy this?
    ———-
    Eat an apple.

A man is gonna be a man regardless. Especially when you are young.
    ___________________________________________________________

True statement.. Not condoning unfaithfulness but that’s sooo true. Most men aren’t ready to be married before 28-30. I haven’t found any that are really, truely, ready to be married. Branging yo money home, taking care of bills, sharing bank accounts etc.. however, I’m not ready to do that either LOL!!

@ Razzle….Are you serious?

hell_on_heels says:

Didn’t watch it……

libra80sbaby says:

I am a married woman, so I understand her reason for staying. Ladies, if you leave your husband if he cheats, know that the next man will cheat too. So you may as well stay with the man you are married to, work through it, and continue to raise your kids together. I’m not condoning men who cheat I am simply stating reality. MEN WILL CHEAT. Period. What is NOT acceptable is bringing home diseases, babies, and putting these side bitches ahead of your wife and family. That is all :coffee:

PumpkinsMama says:

@ Dimpz Coffee?

Ty says:

Yeah chile :coffee:

@ Pumpkin…IONO! I normally don’t drink. :wail:

eastpointvet says:

if you marry an entertainer thats just a life you gonna have to accept. long as they not messy with it you should be good.

Nakeya_j says:

:whistle:

Quarter Brick, half a brick,
    whole brick (Aaay!)

Quarter pound, half a pound,

whole pound (Okay!)

100 pillz, 1000 pillz,servin major
    weight

JuiceMan and Gucci Mane make the trap

(Aay)

—————-
    I have to seriously disagree with you. You cant say the next man will cheat because not all male population are cheaters. I know quite a few men, young and old who NEVER stepped out and dont plan on it because they believe in the saying “happy wife happy wife” and theyve all told me they’d file for divorce before they’d think about cheating if the situation got that bad.

Caramel Cutie says:

___________________________________________\

confused? explain what color pigment has to do with this? #seriousquestion
    ——————-
    ___________________________________________________________

none come to mind? So that mean’s Black people dont get divorced after ten years? Most famouse celeb Black couples that come time are still together (Will/Jada, Bill/Camille, Denzel/Pauletta, Barack/Michelle, Omar/Keisha, Grant Hill/Tamia, Courtney B. Vance/Angela Bassett, Boris/Nicole etc..)

PumpkinsMama says:

@ Dimpz :rofl: I didnt think you did. What was the occassion? I’m a “lightweight” too :hug:

Mofos need to drop that line about being faithful from their wedding vows. :yes:

@Dimpz yes an apple will wake you up more than a cup of coffee will.

Nakeya_j says:

—–
    Ummmm….if he is gonna be a cheater, and continue to do so then I do think a woman should leave. Why keep on being disrespected?! And why allow someone to believe that they can continue to disrespect you?!

NaijaGal says:

well if that’s what marriage is about I don’t want any parts of it :shrug: guess that whole forsaking all others should no longer be incorporated :tea:

missbday says:

I normally love the earrings his spouse makes but those look so heavy.

@ Pumpkin….It was my bestie’s BDay. Good grief I feel awful

Chillle :tea: Diffrent stroKes for DIFFRENT FOLKS!~

Nakeya_j says:

First of, not one soul can say all men cheat. We don’t know every man to say that is true. What people need to say is that most men cheat. Or say the jigs you pick always seem to be cheaters. #JMO

Crickett says:

@nauni2004, so she has 22 more years before he leaves her? Miss Sandra don’t advocate a woman’s miserable life, I’m sure her children bring her joy but her husband hurt her continiously and that’s not cool. Too many women have given themselves anger and mental issues stemming from a man’s infidelities.

:hug: @ Razzle. Thank you!

~ ~ ~ ~
    FcuK it,Just NOT Get married Whats the point . . OHHHH Wait tAX Credits GOT IT!!
    All makes Sense Now SMH

~ ~ ~ ~
    All makes Sense Now SMH

Caramel Cutie says:

Caramel Cutie says:

___________________________________________\

confused? explain what color pigment has to do with this? #seriousquestion
    ——————-
    ___________________________________________________________

————–
    Meaning most celeb black couples stay together because there’s a bigger prize after the 10 year mark (mainly just for the money). those couples you listed arent there for the money i believe. the ones that are… well you see…. :lol:

Ty says:

libra80sbaby says:

:smack: What about knowing your self worth? How do u continue to let someone phuck over u because u think the next man is going to do the same thing? People can only do to u what u allow them to do. If u accept cheating, disrespect, getting monkey stomped it will continue to happen. U dont just roll over cause u have kids and u think thats all u are capable of attracting is a man thats on bs :nono:

Unshakable says:

@Mamacita,

Exactly! Cheating is a choice, not something people are hard-wired to do. Either you’re going to be faithful or you’re not. :shrug:

___________________________________________________________

Straight up.. Im not married but I can understand your viewpoint, a lotta ppl may disagree w/you though. Personally, after 8 yr breakup, me trying to date is sooo foreign. These dudes now are trifling and I aint sleeping w/them b/c you dont know what they have. AND I dont have kids so I dont want a man w/kids and it’s hard to find a man w/o kids and crazy baby mama drama.. My ex- is a hardworker, got his own, no kids etc.. We been doing this since we were 17. Maybe we just needed to grow? BUT at the same time, woman deserve a man that can be with them only?? IDK.. life is sooooo hard :)

Nakeya_j says:

—–
    :clap: :cosign:

Kynedy L says:

Caramel Cutie says:
    ___________________________________________\
    confused? explain what color pigment has to do with this? #seriousquestion
    ——————-
    by Bedazzled His Razzle
    ——————————————
    I can’t name/find one. But i am still in the process of googling. ALL men cheat. The key is for him to hide it well

Mamacita says:

@Naija exactly! lol sh*t why even say vows then? Obviously it doesn’t mean anything.

And I bet if the shoe was on the other foot and she continuously stepped out on him folks would be singing a different tune. But ehhhhh…whatever.

@Bedazzle

I have never known a man that did not cheat at some point. NOT ONE. And if you know a few, how do you know they are telling you the truth?

@Nakeya

To each her own. I have never caught my husband cheating, however, I am not foolish to believe that he never will. I pray he hasn’t or won’t tho. But I aint wearing rose colored glasses either.

Nakeya_j says:

———-
    :cosign:

And why stay in the turmoil? what about self worth? he keeps doing it because you’re allowing him to. You have to love yourself before you love another person

@Naija I wouldnt let any of these fonts discourage you from marriage if I were you. Keep an open mind on everything on relationships. Some people may have just been hurt and are speaking from a hurt place. Plus your car insurance goes down when you get married :lol:

PumpkinsMama says:

I’m on the fence b/c I DO feel like 99 % of men cheat (yeah that high) lol But does it all really boil down to if you catch them? It’s okay if the’re not messy and you never know? Kinda like if a tree falls in the woods but there’s no one there to hear it :shrugs:

@ Ty

If a woman bases her self-worth on whether or not a man cheats on her, a cheating man is the least of her problems.

FuturedocDonte says:

——
    I disagree. :nono: I’m married. I work in Ohio and fly home to my wife on the weekend. Does temptation arise? Hell yes. Do I succumb because I know that I can do dirt in a differed state and not get caught? No. Not all men have the character flaw in which u speak.

MsB says:

Good Morning Roses! :wave:

Mamacita says:

@Unshakable :waves: Right! It’s a choice. I hate when people say “men will be men”. As if once a woman gets married she doesn’t see other men and have temptations. :rolleyes:

Nakeya_j says:

I disagree. I’m married. I work in Ohio and fly home to my wife on the weekend. Does temptation arise? Hell yes. Do I succumb because I know that I can do dirt in a differed state and not get caught? No. Not all men have the character flaw in which u speak.
    ——
    Thank you brotha. :clap: See ladies, hope that not all men cheat!

NaijaGal says:

:think: :lol: #obvious LOL

Unshakable says:

@Ms. Dimpz,

Well, I’m sleepy and ion even drank. Just do what I do—–> :sleep:

@Bedazzle

————-
    Honestly just listening to them and how they’ve talked about their wives/gf is the teller. I fuess people find it easy to talk to me and they just tell me random shish about their lives or ask me what I think on something… you always know when someone is being sincere and when it’s false.. if you cant tell… idk what to tell you…

@ Ty

——————
    But a woman knowing she’s not worth the boolsheet her husband/bf is giving her should be all the reason for her not to settle for the boolsheet. A lot of women put up with mess just because they may feel they cant find anything better…some of its a mental thing.

Anna says:

I didn’t know that his father shot his mom, & his grandfather.

libra80sbaby says:

Back in the days of my Grandma, Great-Grandma etc….these marriages lasted years. Do you really think Grandad, Great-Grandad didn’t get him a lil cutty on the side every once in a while??? He took care of his kids, his wife, his home, and made sure he worked his ass off for his family. Getting side cutty, didn’t mean he didn’t love his wife and children, it meant he was doing what men do. Grandma KNEW what he was doing and guess what? She still made sure his dinner plate was on the stove when he got off work.

libra80sbaby says:

Chile :tea: want happen. Good word says equally yoked for a reason. Some folks that are married shouldn’t have never been married and cheating is grounds to divorce his azz!! Bringing all them different spirits to me :nono: don’t nobody gotta put up with that

Atypical says:

All men cheat? Thats like saying all black people like fried chicken. Do you know every man in the whole entire world? You dont even know 1% of men in world…#ijs

lexdiamonz says:

YALL LET these damn feminists and male bashers keep filing yall head that all men cheat and YALL SUPPOSED to ACCEPT that shyt HELL NAWL…. trust and believe IF LL allegedly cheated because I don’t see no outside kids nor baby mamma’s doing reality shows or interviews and SHE put up with hell they were 16/17 when they got together she ACCEPTED that shyt and HE STILL there so I will give him a big-ups for that….. she like it I LOVE IT but don’t fall into that BULLSHYT about aint no good men out there that is a male JEDI MIND TRICK so they can phuck around and women will put up with it …. I am making NO EXCEPTIONS to policy in my marriage (23 years next month) I let my husband know NO negotiations IF I EVER find out he creeping … good luck to you and the next one because I AM GONE !!!! I CANNOT stay because I will forgive but I will NEVER FORGET and I am not stressing myself keeping TABS on you!!!! SO far I have NEVER had anyone call me or confront me or any inkling that he is/was/ or has cheated … not to say he hasn’t because I won’t swear on nobody ding-ling BUT he can’t even remember his ATM PIN number so I highly doubt he that smart (love you BABES *kiss*) LOL stop letting the media DESTROY the notion of a productive, positive image of the BLACK FAMILY the MASTER’S plan is ALWAYS in full effect!!!!

Ty says:

@ Ty

Your self worth can not be dictated nor based on what someone else is doing. The key word is “self!” Some females dont know what it is so they can’t grasp it. Its basically self esteem, respect, and comprehending ones own value. If you have those traits, staying with someone that cheats becuase you think the next man will wouldnt even be a second thought :coffee:

GAGIRL87 says:

_______________________________________________________________________

:coffee: Now you telling the truff bout that dere now :yawn:

Anna says:

GAGIRL87 says:

_______________________________________________________________________

Now you telling the truff bout that dere now

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The good ole days, when a mistress was just that, a mystery.

lexdiamonz says:

anna says:
    The good ole days, when a mistress was just that, a mystery

:dead:

THAT IS TOO FUNNY but TRUE… now hoes want their 15 minutes of fame… I blame Mark Zuckerberg for the high divorce rate LOL

Ty says:

The good ole days, when a mistress was just that, a mystery.
    and penicillin cured everything :coffee:

lexdiamonz says:

Ty says:

The good ole days, when a mistress was just that, a mystery.
    and penicillin cured everything

UNDERSTAND the media portrays the ever-suffering, independent, don’t need a man, all men cheat, imma do me, neck-rolling, baby making “STRONG” black woman race card to emasculate the black man

flyygirl says:

Unshakable says:

——————————————-

Chile you done said someting here! you better tell the truth and shame the devil honey. :tea:

flyygirl says:

lexdiamonz says:

Ty says:

—————————————-

aint that the truth ruth!

flyygirl says:

lexdiamonz

“stop letting the media DESTROY the notion of a productive, positive image of the BLACK FAMILY the MASTER’S plan is ALWAYS in full effect!!!!”
    ——————

Girl you betta preach that WORD!

libra80sbaby says:

When I say ALL MEN CHEAT, I mean 95%-99% of them do. Hell, that’s close enough to ALL to me…you do the math. If you are a woman and you choose to leave your husband for cheating, that’s your choice, but please believe he wasn’t the first and he won’t be the last. You may as well stay single or keep packin them bags every few years. JMO. :coffee:

@lex

I said ALL men. Race is a non-factor.

lexdiamonz says:

I feel you girlfriend but SOME women need to realize IF you have been in relationships where EVERY man you get cheats….. it MAY be time to take a look in the MIRROR

lexdiamonz says:

@libra

I understand you said ALL men but ALL men are not put on “blast” like our men… and the BLACK women is what 12% of the population but 64% of the new AIDS/HIV cases so while ALL men may cheat ALL WOMEN are not AFFECTED like BLACK WOMEN are we need to raise our standards as BLACK WOMEN on what we will and WILL NOT ACCEPT … I am not e-thugging sis just putting out food for thought…..EVERYTHING we take into our mind, body and souls is OUR CHOICE….

@lex
    I never said that I had confirmation that ALL of the men I have dated have cheated on me. What I said was that all men cheat. What can I do if I have never caught my husband cheating? NOTHING. Out of sight, out of mind. But if I did catch him, unless this bish done been in my house, pregnant, or he bringing home diseases and not taking care of home. I aint going nowhere. Lemme guess, You must be single.

Ty says:

See now u are setting rules and regulations for the bs :nono: Stop accepting bs and “chances” are it will stop knocking at your door :coffee:

Lets agree to disagree…come upstairs

libra80sbaby says:

Again, to each her own…Agreeing to Disagree. Going upstairs to discuss Miss Lawrence and RHOA :coffee:

RAE23 says:

<<<

I co-sign 100%. I think many relationships would last longer if people gain the maturity to know that FOREVER is a LONG time and takes a helluvalot of emotional intelligence which many of us are truly lacking. We are all human and make mistakes! I think you must weigh your options. If a man is TRULY good to you, do you blow it all off because he made what becomes known as an obvious mistake in judgement for whatever reason. I THINK NOT!!! MY MAN TREATS ME LIKE A QUEEN AND IBEDAMN IF IMA LET ALL THAT HE DOES FOR ME GO BECAUSE HE A HAS A LAPSE IN JUDGEMENT!!! :love: Again, we are all human and wouldn't know what we would in the face of different difficult situations!

Carmez79 says:

no way can you be for real? And what is a man supposed to do? continuously step out on his family? bring the possibly of disease and drama into his home? that is not what a marriage is Ms. Rose. There are plenty of people who have marriages where infidelity and compromising your morals is not an issue that is no way to live. Sometimes the statements amaze me

miamore1973 says:

—————————————————

I’m sorry but this is the most ridiculous thing I’ve read in a long time. I’ve told my husband that if you want to cheat, if you feel that you need another women so bad that you just have to have her than by all means go and get her. BUT BE VERY CLEAR YOU CAN’T COME BACK HERE!! I love my husband we’ve been married for almost 15 years and together for more than 20. However I love myself more. To tell a man that I’ll stand by you and just hope beyond hope that you don’t bring a disease back to my home and my body is just ridiculous. Sorry I ain’t having it. I’m not interested in HIV, AIDS, syphilis, or any other shat that’s floating around out there.

Another thing to stay in a rotten relationship for your children isn’t doing your children a service either. Because in the end you raise little girls that become women that will accept the same bullshat that you’re accepting putting her life in danger. You also raise men that are putting their own lives in danger by thinking it’s okay to cheat and stick his weeny in anything that’s wet. Personally and this is just my personal preference I’ve raised my daughter to know that she’s worth more than some tired as dude that can’t put not only her feelings but her well being ahead of his weeny.

laterthannever says:

:clap: miamore!

RAE23 says:

miamore1973 says:

<<<

So cheating makes the entire relationship rotten? I agree with teaching our daughters self-worth, but I think we also need to teach reality!!! The truth is how in the world do you know that YOUR husband has been COMPLETELY faithful all of these years? DUDES GAME MAY BE SUPER TIGHT! :facepalm: Truth is one never knows! :shrug:

@RAE23

:cosign: and :clap: Congrats on @miamore for being married for 15 years, but the question is…has he been faithful since day 1?? Statistics show that he prolly hasn’t.

libra80sbaby says:

I stick by what I stated earlier, Men cheat. Men will react differently when their woman cheats because MEN AND WOMEN ARE NOT THE SAME!!! We are not supposed to react to things the same way. I am NOT with my husband just for the kids, I am with him because of the way he treats me in addition to him being a GREAT father. The real issue is these ratchet ass whores out here that sleep with married men. If they wouldn’t make themselves available to married men, men wouldn’t have anyone to cheat with. But since there are such hoes out here…I have made the decision that if I found out my husband got some cutty on the side, I cannot say that I will pack up my ish and leave.

Paige says:

libra80sbaby says:

OMG! This is the craziest thing I have heard in a long time. So you don’t mind if your husband is sleeping with “ratchet *ss whores”??? These ratchett ass whores carry diseases honey! Do you know the fastest growing HIV population??? Black women between ages 30-35!!!Bottom line if your husband is stepping out on you, he is disrespecting you and endangering your life. You are a victim. See how you feel when your husband falls in love with one of these “ratchet *ss whores and leaves your nutty *ss. I bet you won’t be singing that same tune!

<<<

RAE23 says:

:applause: Both of you made excellent points! It’s hight time that women pull their heads out of the sand and recognize the real.

_______________________________________________________________________

GAGIRL87 says:
    :coffee: Now you telling the truff bout that dere now :yawn:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anna says:

The good ole days, when a mistress was just that, a mystery.

Ty says: