Lawyer Jumps From 8th Floor Window With Baby in Her Arms

scene of jumper

A Manhattan attorney jumped from her eighth floor Upper Manhattan apartment with her baby in her arms Wednesday morning.

Cynthia Wachenheim, 45, died on impact with the ground but, miraculously, her 10-month-old son Keston survived the impact, DNAinfo reports.

Wachenheim held the baby to her chest before she leaped. As she hit the ground, the boy bounced off her chest and started crying. A passerby ran to pick the infant up just as police and emergency responders arrived.

The attorney, known to friends as “Cindy”, leaped from an eighth story window of The Sutton building on West 147th street, at about 3:25 p.m., after arguing with her husband. Police believe he left the building before she jumped.

“I heard a small scream when she was in the air, and then I heard a nasty bang,” neighbor Steven Dominguez, 18, told DNAinfo.com. “It sounded like a big piece of wood hitting the ground.”

Dominguez’s mother, Adelina Dominguez, 45, ran to the wailing infant to pick him up.

“I saw the baby on the ground and I tried to pick it up, to comfort it, but the police told me not to,” she said.

Wachenheim started working as an associate attorney for the New York State Supreme Court in 1997. She recently took a leave of absence.

“All of us in the court family are saddened by this tragic incident,” said David Bookstaver, a courts spokesman. “Our thoughts are with her family during this difficult time.”

“They looked like a really happy family,” said neighbor Yaa Dwamney, 32. “I never would have thought she would be dead.”

99 Responses to “Lawyer Jumps From 8th Floor Window With Baby in Her Arms”

INTENSEMOCHA THE ANTAGONIST says:

WHAT THE HELL!?!?

INTENSEMOCHA THE ANTAGONIST says:

SO GLAD THE BABY IS OK!!

cougar lover says:

what in the hell is going on man. folks tolerance levels to stress/ strife has decline significantly. seems like responses to these situations are so drastic, and dramatic its getting crazy out here.

browniz106 says:

Oh My!!!People in the world are so troubled

this is so messed up. Glad the baby is ok. I’ll never understand why ppl always gotta take someone with you. If you wanna kill yourself, leave the way you came, ALONE! :smh:

*I know this does apply for multiple births but, yall get my point*

nwokeith says:

Rule # 1 : kill yourself & nobody else.

OMy . . .
    :no:

Shereezy says:

Thank you God that you let the child survive. If she wanted to jump – then do it but dont bring the baby with you!! :nono:

WUT IZ THA PROBLEM!? says:

:shocked: Oh dear lord! :pray: out to the little girl and the family…

Hey Everybody! :kiss: and :hug:

marquez269 says:

:blink:

PERFECTO says:

(Talking bout a mid life crisis.)

NaijaGal says:

something def doesn’t add up :tea:

Such A F'n Lady says:

_____________________________

They all seem happy until one day something like this happens. :coffee:

Thank God the baby is ok. I can’t image how her husband/her child’s father feels right now.

MzTisch says:

My guess is the husband “upset” her and possibly wanted to end the marriage or had another woman or the woman was just mentally ill. She wanted to punish him. Either way, the baby is okay. #thankful

Mawning.

Nakeya_j says:

Smh. She must of really thought there was no hope…but jumping out of a window?! Lawd help her soul. She clearly had problems. People please try to remember that the Devil is a lie and your problems can get better. Thank God that baby is alive.

Also, if you really wanna go, that’s cool. (not really) However, please go alone. Why take other ppl with you because your mad/upset/sad/unhappy.

Flawless says:

Thank goodness the baby was okay!

I tell ya. NYC has to qualms about letting news crews take pics of deceased victims.

mrsloveleigh says:

thank God the baby survived. I hope he wasn’t injured. I never understood the whole taking someone else with you thing. Maybe if was out of need but out of selfishness??? No bueno

WUT IZ THA PROBLEM!? says:

MzTisch says:

Mawning.
    —————————–
    Post-partum Depression is real! She very well could have been experiencing that!

something def doesn’t add up
    —–
    If they come back tomorrow and say the husband pushed her, I’m gonna be so mad

Milky says:

this is too sad. im leaving until we get a newpost hopefully something positive/funny :kona:

Stupid bish :cuss: Thank GOD the baby survived.
    Hoe could’ve done 27 other things and left the baby outta this.

=======================
    nwokeith says:

Rule # 1 : kill yourself & nobody else.
    :rules: You Got questions downstairs :waiting:

WUT IZ THA PROBLEM!? says:

NaijaGal says:

something def doesn’t add up
    ——————
    :hug: Maybe it was baby blues or postpartum depression. Women experience that all the time and if it goes untreated…well this can be the result.

“I heard a small scream when she was in the air,
    —–
    So did she yell while jumping or did she get pushed and was yelling while being pushed?

:cosign:

Ya’ll Know she wanted to take that childs life to hurt that man. :no:
    Thats soMe real Gut wrenching shyte

:waves: Good morning New Girl and MzTisch

MzT, you got any plans tonight? Around 7:30 for about one hour.

Diva says:

Milky says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    wait for me wifey!!!! this is just terrible…life can’t be this bad

:welcome: NWOKeiTh

MzTisch says:

WUT IZ THA PROBLEM!? says:

MzTisch says:

Mawning.
    —————————–
    ^^^^^^
    Or she could have been one of those who can’t handle that their marriage is over and wanted to take the one thing away from him that she knew would hurt him as he hurt her. So many scenarios…….

“I heard a small scream when she was in the air,
    —–

:smack: I didn’t think of that… AND then if she was gonna get pushed, she grabbed the baby-thinking that he wouldn’t push her :wail:

It’ll all come out hopefully. So sad!

you got any plans tonight? Around 7:30 for about one hour :rolleyes:

Miany says:

Depression is the devil. This type of story hurts me so much.

Chupilives says:

I think we are seeing these types of incidents more often as women have babies later in life. Most of the stories i read when a mother kills herself and her children happen with mothers in their 40s. It seems that all pregnancy symptoms including morning sickness and postpartum depression are increased with age. This is so sad. Maybe she didn’t want the child growing up without her. It’s not a reason to take the baby with you but obviously she was not in her right mind.

MzTisch says:

<–Doesn't Talk To Strangers says:

Good morning New Girl and MzTisch

MzT, you got any plans tonight? Around 7:30 for about one hour.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    :hi:

Of course. Bestie got me cooking tew pans of my sought after pasta for her fundraiser tomorrow. Wat u need?

goat76 says:

Glad the baby is OK.

Betamax82 says:

:wail:

Diva says:

:steer: back downstairs

Nakeya_j says:

It’ll all come out hopefully. So sad!
    —-
    What if she already had the baby in her arms and he pushed her anyway? Honestly either way this story is sad.

I thought you couldn’t ‘yell’ moving at such speed from that height :shrug:

:pc: later MzTisch

#aintmyfaultyouliveallthewayoverthereLuvLife :D

Nakeya_j says:

I thought you couldn’t ‘yell’ moving at such speed from that height
    —-
    Right. So what I am saying is did he push her and during the act of pushing did she scream?

:warning: UpDate . . :(
    Police identified the lawyer who committed suicide by jumping out of her Harlem apartment building as Cindy Bacharach.

Bacharach and her husband, Hal, 48, had been arguing just before she grabbed their son and jumped out the window.

Neighbors said Bacharach, who received her law degree from Columbia University, had been suffering from acute postpartum depression. It is understood she left an incomprehensible 7-page suicide note.
    :warning:

Just Looking says:

Sniff sniff I smell foul play. He left the building after he pushed her.

Law and Order working on this episode right now. :coffee:

Afiya says:

How awful…she must have really been going through it…so sad!

MzTisch says:

<–Doesn't Talk To Strangers says:

later MzTisch

#aintmyfaultyouliveallthewayoverthereLuvLife
    ^^^^
    Yup!

LuvLife :nana: j/k Youse he-ah tew?

WUT IZ THA PROBLEM!? says:

Miany says:

Depression is the devil. This type of story hurts me so much.
    ————–
    You are soo right! This is sooo sad!

Im following Diva out this post until a new one… :cry:

nwokeith says:

Luvn_,

It stand for ninja with options. I got more ways than the Braxtons

:popcorn:

#aintmyfaultyouliveallthewayoverthereLuvLife
    @smurfeTTe I KNow STILL :rolleyes:

UpDate . .

—–
    Something ain’t clean in the water. I’ll wait for the offical report.

@DTTS yeah I seeNT the NWO
    ChuddUP mzTISCH :P

Nakeya_j says:

Law and Order working on this episode right now.
    —–
    They had one like this already.

leapyr~baby! says:

In the note, the 45-year-old Wachenheim said she recognized what she was about to do was “evil” but she was concerned about how her child was developing,
    :no:

—–
    Was the husband trying to get her some help? Was she seeing a doctor?

Questions
    Was she taking meds?
    Why would he argue with her if he knows her diagnosis?
    Did she really write the 7 pg letter?

Miany says:

I’m not rushing to judge her. I like to think only mental illness would drive a mother to hurt her child but, then again it seems like it’s a NEW kinda crazy that’s going around these days. God please, PLEASE!

A window to the West Harlem apartment was wide open, and there were no signs of struggle inside, police said. There were no safety bars on the apartment’s windows. Surveillance footage showed Wachenheim’s husband leaving the apartment about an hour before her plunge from the window with the baby

WUT IZ THA PROBLEM!? says:

leapyr~baby! says:

—————-
    :yes: I figured it had to be that.

Unshakable says:

People with serious mental illness/dual diagnoses/mental health issues have additional issues on top of daily/life issues. Suffice to say, their ability to cope is understandably compromised. I will not pass judgment on her (wasn’t in her shoes): I wish she would have chosen life instead. I will say I’m glad the baby is alive. :hug:

Mental illness is real. :yes:

WUT IZ THA PROBLEM!? says:

<–Doesn't Talk To Strangers says:

Questions
    Was she taking meds?
    Why would he argue with her if he knows her diagnosis?
    Did she really write the 7 pg letter?
    ——————
    Some people think you can just snap out of depression. He probably was that type. He probably was bein insensitive and thats where she snapped out beyond repair.

leapyr~baby! says:

The article didnt say if the husband was trying to get her help. I wouldnt be so quick to say he had something to do with it though. Some people have major mental ISSUES. Sometimes it’s hard to get through to somebody that is so far gone. Ive seen it first hand.

Just Looking says:

@nakedJ – :waves:
    Well that’s probably how he to the idea.

Pickachu Tran says:

THE FUKK IS WRONG WITH PPL

:no:

—–
    I hear you, but that screaming sound real fishy. Like did she yell and then jump? I don’t know. Like I said, either way this story is sad.

@leapyr~BaBy
    What is going on in ur GRAVIE??

WUT IZ THA PROBLEM!? says:

Unshakable says:

Mental illness is real.
    ——————
    Yep it is. She probably was an A type personality who was use to being in control. Then depression hits and it is something you cant control. On top of that she has a child who she thinks has a developmental issue and she may have felt (because of the depression) that she was responsible.

Questions
    Was she taking meds?
    Why would he argue with her if he knows her diagnosis?
    Did she really write the 7 pg letter?
    —-
    I want to know this as well. Ppl can make things look like anything….either that or I watch too much Law and Order

goat76 says:

Y’all cut the hubby some slack.

:hi: WUT
    I was Just readinng that she may have had postpartum psychosis.SAD

Pickachu Tran says:

“take away the $…..I own my own home…i own 2, my cars are paid for, all 4 sea doos are paid for, i have vacation prop paid for, have a personal checking, 3 business checking, and 5 savings….ZERO DEBT…..any woman cant be on that level!!!! Most women still living in an Apt, still paying their car off, dont have any vacation prop or savings…hell 60/70% of them live off thier credit and are in debt!!!”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

why do guys always feel the NEED to brag about what they got to prove a point… shyt I DONT care and IM not impressed

Nakeya_j says:

Y’all cut the hubby some slack.
    —–
    Alright

cougar lover says:

even if you meant to jump, the scream is like a natural reaction to what going on. maybe she regretted it mid jump, realized it would be painful, couldn’t stop by then, and screeched.

libra80sbaby says:

:no: :kona:

—–
    The point of all this was what? :tea:

leapyr~baby! says:

Yeah, thats the same thing I’m wondering. Someone in here said video footage shows the hubby leaving an hr before she jumped. I dont know…you’re right, either way this story is all kinds of fugged up.
    Luvn–thats a home made shower–the true definition of n*gga rigged :D

Ni ni says:

I read on another blog that she did in fact suffer from post-partum depression and was suffering from major depression before she had the baby. So sad…. by leapyr~baby! If people would realize that if you are depressed beforehand, havibg a baby or a husband will not help. You have it get yourself together first, if you cant, dont make anyone else suffer because of your illness.

Luvn–thats a home made shower–the true definition of n*gga rigged
    ~ ~ ~
    :lol: ErMahhhGAWD :hahaha:

libra80sbaby says:

Pickachu Tran says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

—————————————————–
    Folks who have to do all this to prove what they got need to stfu. Cause guess what…….NO ONE CURRR

LadieLeo says:

This stankin heffa here…..so selfish.

:offtopic: My boss had to leave and my coworker is out until next week so its just me :buttshake:

Miany says:

I’m guessing the guy who fonted that (didnt see original post) was tryna say that he can’t always expect a woman who is financially on his level so maybe women should be more open to a hard-working man (man with potential) who isn’t financially on her level…I think that’s what he meant, I hope that’s what he meant.

The onset of postpartum psychosis is abrupt.

So you want to kill yourself AND your brand new baby after a fight with your husband??? I dont even want to font the nasty things that popped in my head.

You dont kill yourself over no effing man! You cry, heal and get over it and get a new one!

So glad the baby is ok. Glad infants this young cant remember things like this. :crying1:

San says:

Husband is believed to have left before hmm

goat76 says:

What type of nigga does some shat like that? A nigga that ain’t neva had shat.

Miany says:

Me personally I’m still on the come up. I am working on me. My bad habit, is on a come up too (although he has more assets than I do) we are currently upgrading one another. He got cash & knowledge, I got hustle, a lil experience and knowledge…. we are working together to make money now (Told him we can define our relationship when we get around to it but for as long as he dips in my honey pot, he got no choice but to let me flip his cash.)

Gigi26 says:

Damn :no: And to take the baby with you is just…horrid.

Def had the baby blues, that’s the only way I can describe this. People..there ain’t nothing fishy about this story, when someone is mentally sick, they’ll try and rationalize the craziest of scenarios.

Wish her hubby would’ve intervened and got her the help she truly needed or gotten family involved :no:

I remember at the firm I used to work at in NY, this mentally ill dude jumped from the 43rd floor to his death INSIDE the building. Yeah. That was before I worked there, someone told me it sounded like a pumpkin being smashed :no: No one knows why he did it but that depression shat is real.

leapyr~baby! says:

Whats crazy is that I think ppl who suffer with mental illness think a baby will FIX the situation. Chit kids are hell to raise!! But it sounds like she had her life together…unfortunately her head wasnt…I dont even see how that could be though…chit im bout done tryin to figure this out :cry:

Gigi26 says:

And hell maybe her hubby was frustrated after the argument so he went for a walk or something..not everything is a murder scenario :no: She killed herself and tried to take her baby with her. Sicko.

Pickachu Tran says:

—–
    The point of all this was what?

:lol: I told him I didnt want a bum who didnt want to do anything with his life. And that I was NOT going to take care of a grown man who sit at home all day. I said you have to meet me at my level or be a couple steps ahead & im not just talkin about money. Then he tried to say my level of thinking WILL keep me single and went into describing everything he HAS :eyeroll:

Carrington says:

What is that black translucent figure in the corner? Possibly the grim reaper?

GAGIRL87 says:

but, miraculously, her 10-month-old son Keston survived the impact
    _____________________________________________________________________

1 word and thats GOD!

AirForceGirl says:

While I was reading this story, I kept looking for key words such as fire, burning building, etc. I can’t wrap my mind around this nonsense up there. Who in the sam heyul jumps from the 8th floor on a suicide mission and thinks “let me grab my baby”??? Glad God was with the child.

Crickett says:

Did they leave the baby on the ground until the paramedics arrived???

free says:

well, if she was that depressed, maybe for the best. i would hate to read some time later that she cut the baby’s head off or put it in the oven or some shyt like that these mothers are doing.

free says:

Crickett says: Did they leave the baby on the ground until the paramedics arrived???

*************************

they really need to stabilize the spine but nobody would think of that and i’m sure the baby was moving. it’s sounds like the lady picked the baby up (which is what i would have probably done) and then they told her to put the baby down!

r2dmax says: