BET Gets OWNED by Tyler Perry and Oprah

BET OWNed by Tyler Perry and Oprah

Last year, TV Titan Oprah Winfrey approached acclaimed film director Tyler Perry to help save her failing OWN Network, and he has delivered in a big way.

The joint partnership between Tyler Perry and Oprah’s OWN Network is crushing the competition — specifically BET.

According to a report in the NY Post, Perry’s first two shows on the OWN Network — Tuesday night’s “The Haves and the Have Nots” and Wednesday night comedy “Love Thy Neighbor” drew record ratings for Oprah’s fledgling network.

BET OWNed by Tyler Perry and Oprah

“The Haves and the Have Nots,” a drama about a rich family from Savannah, Ga., drew 1.82 million viewers in its second outing, up from 1.77 million in its premiere. And “Love Thy Neighbor” attracted 1.8 million, an increase from 1.65 million viewers for its debut.

Both shows formed a 1-2 punch combination that could knock BET out of the ratings race.

From The NY Post:

Over the past 12 months, BET has lost primetime viewers while OWN has gained, according to an analysis by Horizon Media research chief Brad Adgate.

BET averaged 714,000 viewers in primetime, down from 816,000 in the period spanning June 2011 to May 2012. Over the same time, Oprah’s average audience rose from 250,000 to 315,000.

BET didn’t return requests for comment.

BET, acquired by Sumner Redstone’s Viacom for $2.3 billion in 2000, is still ahead in ad revenue, raking in $360.7 million compared with OWN’s projected $128.1 million.

Adgate said it remains to be seen if Perry’s shows continue their ratings momentum after their big premieres.

“But it’s very encouraging,” he said. “It’s very smart to bring in another strong, successful entrepreneur. That’s a great way to grow the network.”

• OWN’s ‘The Haves and the Have Nots’ Draws Record Ratings, Poor Reviews
  • Tyler Perry: ‘Leave this baby alone!’
  • Tyler Perry makes a surprise announcement…
  • Tyler Perry concerned about bad reviews for ‘Witness Protection’

68 Responses to “BET Gets OWNED by Tyler Perry and Oprah”

NaijaGal says:

I love how OWN just started and folks are so quick to dismiss it like it doesn’t take years to balance out a business…but whatevs…I’m lost on Haves & Have Nots…@MISSH if’in you come in, I’ve got questions…I can’t with the Love Thy Neighbor though

Who watches BET these days :shrugs:

GAGIRL87 says:

Crabs in a barrel :coffee:

:cheer:

GOOD for theM,Im :happy: for TP/O

lovezoe says:

Soon as OWN er back, TP gone be :kona:

That chick he is with is gorgeous :yes:

NaijaGal says:

whomever that is posing with Tyler she’s gorgeous…stunning

GAGIRL87 says:

Who watches BET these days
      __________________________________________________

Rightttt!!!

@ Jenie :hug:

BUT

I miss “Midnight Love”, “Rap City” and “UnCut” tho..

lovezoe says:

Jenie- she was on his last show. She’s a former Miss America/USA

GAGIRL87 says:

His beard is beautiful :yes:

When I first READ the title I thought it SAID “BEY gets owned”
      :yawn:
      The finAls come on too Late

*puts my head down on DESK to CATCH A quick cat Nap* :zzz:

Ty says:

:cosign: She is pretty. Maybe Own can take over The Game and upgrade the writers so I can really be done with EBT. Still not giving up on my show :tape:

I heard the other hosts from 106th were fired and its just Bow Wow left :shrug:

I like the Have and Have Nots so far, havent seen the other show yet :popcorn:

MissTaken says:

Who watches BET these days
      by jeniefrumdabloc on Jun 7, 2013 at 11:22 am
      _______
      Draya’s son. Her appearance on 106 was their scheduled visitation so he could see her :shade:

NaijaGal says:

UnCut
      ============
      where I heard/saw such classics as “I Ain’t Got No Panties On” “Puss-Popping” “Tip-Drill” and another one I can’t think of the name where dude was talking about his cunnilingus skills :thinking:

MissTaken says:

:cool:
      Hey GaGirl :hugs:

Ty says:

Chile that is a great idea, and bring mel and derwin back :yes:

MissTaken says:

Who watches BET these days
      by jeniefrumdabloc on Jun 7, 2013 at 11:22 am
      _______

Bootcampgirl says:

I’m not going to lie, I loved College Hill when it first began…

lovezoe says:

Ty- Word is they trying to get Angela Simmons. That four host thing was just silly.

MsB2u says:

Good for yhem

lovezoe says:

College Hill was good intone beginning, then folks got ratchet for the cameras. I liked Baldwin Hills too #dontjudgeme

GAGIRL87 says:

@ Naija

:whistle: I ain’t got no panties on, on the dance flow :rofl:

That was my shyt, I remember being in class singing and humming that shyt and had to stop myself, peoples was looking :blink:

MissTaken says:

The lady with Tyler has a weak character on Better or Worse. She has no chemistry with her male costars. Eddie Cobrian played her new finance and she was :yawn: another pretty face no real acting chops

Miany says:

GAGIRL87 says:
      Crabs in a barrel
      ^^ That’s how IIIII feel. :tea:

Naija Jenie :2dance:

Angie would be good host on 106 :yes:

GAGIRL87 says:

@ Zoe I LOVED college hill

My fav was South Beach (because of Kyle that queen gave me life) :rofl:

And Virgina b/c I thought Rodney was sessy don’t judge me :ashamed:

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally says:

Right. One of the most notables…Fox…Not news…Just FOX…On the verge of cancellation (the whole network), bankruptcy,,,It took yrs…Married with children was their only hit…But this is Oprah…So…Same ol same ol…From what I was told her network rebounded with the Next chapters and master classes,,,But its Oprah…Shes a threat,,,So…Yeah. Anyway…How is OWN being compared to BET? If anything they should be comparing the numbers to the numbers he did on TBS,,,We always fall for the okeydoke :tea:

NaijaGal says:

MOTHER J :yahoo: where you been guhl :hug:

CheBell says:

He’s posing with the girl from For Better or Worse. I haven’t seen an episode of Haves and Have Nots it looks to soap opera-ish for me and i haven’t watched one of those since that one show with the midgets, witches, vampires and all that craziness but i guess if’n the yts can have crazy unbelievable soaps so can Tyler. Mo power to him.

goat76 says:

GAGIRL87 says:

@ Naija
      I ain’t got no panties on, on the dance flow
      —————————–
      Say Werd!!

Bend ova and let me see it!!

NaijaGal says:

========================
      :fistbump: real chit

Mother :kiss: :happy: where you been :hug:

lovezoe says:

GA-.i liked VA (home state) and wen they were at Langston and the VI,

I watched the first episode of both TP shows, meh

NaijaGal says:

He’s posing with the girl from For Better or Worse
      ============================
      thanks…her face looked familiar…crazy that she doesn’t stand out like that on the show

Naija I got a new job :danban1: :nun: <<praise dances

but now I dont have time to post :wail:

cougar lover says:

I like the environment we are in with businesses competing with each other for consumers. We have more and sometimes better options than ever to choose from. Maybe BET will step they game up even more, instead of trying turn people off enough from the regular station in a ploy to get them to pay for premium cable services, just to get that Centric network.

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally says:

Good Morning :waves: My bowel Movement was great. Thanx to Jamie Lee and Activia, Im feelin light as a feather :nun:

Bootcampgirl says:

Yes, I liked Baldwin Hills too. I liked Seiko, I thought she was so pretty, loved Justing and Trason, they were both cuties…

GAGIRL87 says:

@ Goat :love: :kiss: I have on panties my dear lol

I see you with that UGK line tho

Ty says:

lovezoe says:

Why :shrug: Angela has no personality and she lacks chemistry with Bow Wow even if they are :hump:

Angela is just a cute Brats doll :coffee:

NaijaGal says:

===========================
      I missed this…yeah I didn’t see chemistry when I would catch the show…Eddie Cibriani is really popular with “black” shows…he’s gonna be in Best Man II

Trendsetter says:

Ty says:

I heard the other hosts from 106th were fired and its just Bow Wow left

I like the Have and Have Nots so far, havent seen the other show yet
      ________________________

damn…I just asked about the other 3…I’m like damn they been on vacation for damn near two months

NaijaGal says:

MOTHER J – congrats hun…I’m gonna be like you when I grow up :)

lovezoe says:

—–
      I agree. Also, we don’t have to like something because its TP, BET, or Oprah. We can have enjoyable programming without being stereotypically black.

MissTaken says:

GAGIRL87 says:

@ Naija
      I ain’t got no panties on, on the dance flow
      —————————–
      Say Werd!!
      Bend ova and let me see it!!
      by goat76 on Jun 7, 2013 at 11:33 am
      _____
      (((((factory bullhorn)))))))’
      Pulls out nail file :warning: DIVVVVVAAAAAAAA!!!!! Goat in here being grown

Brenden is a fool :lol:

Ty says:

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally says:

Good Morning My bowel Movement was great. Thanx to Jamie Lee and Activia, Im feelin light as a feather
      :dead:

Hey hun :hug:

Miany says:

^^^^ :lol: Exactly why I :cosign: when GA said crabs in a barrel… I was like.. ummmmmm why is this the competitive analysis?? I guess BET debuted new sitcoms/ soaps in the same time slots?? I don’t think so.

@CHEBELL…..LOL Passions… i watched it too, it was my guilty soap pleasure :oops:

Yardgirl says:

Bren!!! :waves: :heart:

That girl with Tyler IS pretty however she must be real forgettable because I do watch For Better or Worse and could not remember where I had seen her before *yikes*. I WANT to love those two show on OWN but I just don’t. I will have to give them another try OnDemand later on (if available) but my first impression was that the writing was lacking and the storyline not compelling.

goat76 says:

GAGIRL87 says:

@ Goat I have on panties my dear lol
      ————————
      Ion care, the UGK line still applies.

Good Morning GA :hug:

goat76 says:

MissTaken says:

GAGIRL87 says:
      @ Naija
      I ain’t got no panties on, on the dance flow
      —————————–
      Say Werd!!
      Bend ova and let me see it!!
      by goat76 on Jun 7, 2013 at 11:33 am
      _____
      (((((factory bullhorn)))))))’
      Pulls out nail file DIVVVVVAAAAAAAA!!!!! Goat in here being grown
      ———————-
      My account was HACKED. Got damn lurkers.

NaijaGal says:

I remember the song…it was “I Wanna Know What That Thang Smell Like” gotta luv uncut :lol:

lovezoe says:

Car salesmen are relentless! Calling hubby darn near everyday AFTER we say we will call you.

goat76 says:

NaijaGal says:

—————–
      I thought that was the song you were talking about.

I miss UNCUT

<<< Misses Caribbean Rhythms

Rachel was that BISH ya heard?

MissTaken says:

:lol: You been hacked? Goat

Miany says:

:rofl: cuz I’m thinking about the fact that we was young to be watchin uncut….. smh at that lil disclaimer they throgh up, I know I wasn’t 18 when I watched :kona:

NaijaGal says:

Rachel
      ==============
      I liked her…and the teen summit crew…BET used to be about chit and got lost along the way

MissTaken says:

I saw Uncut one time when I was young and :shocked: I turned the tv so fast cause I thought I might get sperminated through the screen. I was innocent :winky:

:eek:
      Who this beard is with Tyler? She nice. :thumbsup:

MissHarlem says:

Yall do there is a :newpost: right :waiting:

deedeegirl says:

not interested in the least. that’s a pretty tranny on Tyler’s arm.

Carrington says:

Those TP numbers are due to Tyler’s built in fan base (who are clearly clueless) the 1st week. And the 2nd week is due to people who didn’t watch the first week, but heard the bad reviews & decided to give it a try for themselves this week.

They’ll be record lows by week 5.

tcw684 says:

Tyler should just come out the closer already. it’s frustrating, lol. giiiirllll :homoswitch:

tcw684 says: