Cheerios Stands by Biracial TV Commercial

General Mills drew attention to hundreds of ignorant comments under its Cheerios TV ad featuring a biracial family by disabling the comment section on YouTube.com.

This isn’t the first time that a biracial couple has been featured in national television ads — and it won’t be the last time. In fact, 90% of black children featured in television ads today are actually biracial or mixed. So what’s the big deal, you ask?

In a statement to Gawker.com, General Mills’ vice president of marketing said, “Consumers have responded positively to our new Cheerios ad. At Cheerios, we know there are many kinds of families and we celebrate them all.”

General Mills’s decision to “stand by” the commercial is insulting by itself. Why bring attention to the comments as if biracial families are some sort of oddity in these days and times?

Why not just ignore the ignorance? There will always be ignorant comments on YouTube. Silencing their voices on YouTube will not eliminate the racist ignorance that pervades this country.

The ad features a biracial child approaching her Caucasian mother with a Cheerios cereal box. The child asks about the health benefits of the cereal. The mother explains to the child that the cereal contains whole grain oats which are good for a healthy heart.

In the next scene, a black man awakens from a slumber to find Cheerios poured over the left side of his chest, over his heart. The ad was viewed by 1.7 million people on YouTube.

• Bus Company Cancels ‘Ghetto’ Tours
  • Woman fired for racist Facebook message about President Obama
  • Video: SlaverWII (Slavery): Whip Not Included
  • Sergio Garcia Apologizes to Tiger Woods for Racist Joke

• MsB2u

• daninicole

Pookie from Richmond!!! On topic, folk need to get over themselves.

• NaijaGal

haven’t seen it but sounds like a cute commercial…I agree General Mills should’ve ignored the chit…don’t acknowledge the crazies

• A.J.

In the words of Ryan Cameron this morning, “Keyboard Courage.” People still believe blacks should be with blacks and whites with whites!! That goes with all races. :tea:

• Nakeya_j

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m missing what is making people so mad. It’s cute. smh.

• MsB2u

Nakeya_j says:

——————————–
      :cosign:

:tea:

• A.J.

In the comment section of this video, folks was going crazy that the black was just waking up from a nap and assumed he was unemployed/lazy while the lady in the kitchen is working hard paying bills. They closed the comment section; not sure if they opened it back up.

I cannot stand people who hide behind their keyboards.

• lovezoe

I guess folks have never read the CNN comment section.

• OutsidetheBox

Love this ad. :yawn: I get this one while I viewing cooking shows.

Saw the cutest biracial fam ever this weekend at McD’s. Mom was :thinking: Gabrielle Union pretty and Dad was J. Crew white guy, good-looking. With three beige kids in tow. They was a beautiful fam. Sure did. Told her so too. :yes:

• http://srchronicles.wordpress.com/ iAmChan

@ :waiting: on my BEDAZZLED orthopedic shoes says:
      ——–
      Would you allow your kids to stay at his house for a sleepover?

—–

Hell nahh! I may not be shyt, but I love my babies, lmao.

• Miany

^^ I thought this was dumb. Lord knows dayum near all the black kids on tv are mixed. SOoo this is controversial cuz the mom was white and the dad was black??? I’m over it.

• A.J.

I guess folks have never read the CNN comment section.
      :cosign:

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp6IxvJzZ-k :waiting: on my BEDAZZLED orthopedic shoes

This commercial is cute. That little girl had the most perplexed look on her face. 😆

The fact that they had ol’ dude on the commercial was funny… I cant think of his name though :think:

• OutsidetheBox

:tape: :lipssealed: :ducttape: :pourscementonkeyboard:

• VDot

The comments were vile. I’m glad Cheerios didn’t back down. People are puccies nowadays and fold like Bey’s belly lawn chairs at the first sign of backlash.

• NaijaGal

============================
      is dude Otis from the Temptations movie?

With three beige kids in tow
      ———–

• OutsidetheBox

Who gone pick them Cheerios up tho? :heart: 😆

*summons roomba*

Exactly Chan! :rofl:

A.J. says:

I cannot stand people who hide behind their keyboards.

Chile !!!! :tea: Hey AJ :kiss:

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

The comment section is there for people to create dialogue or to vent. General Mills showed their ignorance by focusing on the biracial aspect as if biracial couples are a new phenomenon. General Mills should’ve simply denounced the racism in the comments and left it at that. There is nothing wrong with biracial couples.

• OutsidetheBox

:kiss: :chase: <— ending with a wedgie for the Bey strike. 😆

VDot says:

:ghost:

• luVn_liFe…

:facepalm:

NaijaGal says:

============================
      is dude Otis from the Temptations movie?
      ———-
      The dude that was on The Game when it was good, When he had Malik’s half sister drunk off her ass.. bout to fugg for a track

• NaijaGal

There is nothing wrong with biracial couples
      ============================
      so Sandra you like some cream in your coffee? I know you’re umimpressed with lslh so do you just cut out the middle man and go all pink toe?

• VDot

I see my boo was Morning Wood again :thumbsup: off to go :hump: myself 🙂

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

jeniefrumdabloc says:

Why is that an assumption when that is the reality in most black households? :shrug:

• OutsidetheBox

With three beige kids in tow

I got some in my fam. I can call ’em that. It was the little fella who caught my attn, Razz. So cute..pink polo, khakis, boat shoes.. with a scowl outta this world, Craig. 😆

I wanted him. 😆

• lovezoe

============================
      is dude Otis from the Temptations movie?
      ———————–
      Yeah, not Pookie from Richmond.

A.J. says:

I guess folks have never read the CNN comment section.

:cosign:

or yahoo for that matter and T M Z :tea:

• NaijaGal

============================
      yup that’s Otis :yes: dude is a good actor

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPgpRw9tiuM bnatural

lovezoe says:

I guess folks have never read the CNN comment section.
      ———

The Yahoo comment section takes the cake! Computer thugs!

• cougar lover

society hate to see a black man and a white woman together in great credit harmony :hahaha: he sleep in casual wear, not sweats n a t-shirt. she lily white azz heck, not “down” and fashionable looking, with a short doo like halle.

• lovezoe

Jenie- Yahoo and CNN are the worst! They go in. They had a story about this mom killed is Syria. Whew.

• VDot

:kiss: My BayBay!!! I don’t know what my fingers were thinking typing that about King Bey. I’m :ashamed: Hold me

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

lovezoe says:

I guess folks have never read the CNN comment section.

And CNN doesn’t disable their comment section. :coffee:

jeniefrumdabloc says:
      Why is that an assumption when that is the reality in most black households?

Hell not in my household where I grew up :shrugs: my dad handled all the bills and my mom paid for clothes and groceries, and stuff doctor visits etc….. I always saw my dad writing out utility bills….. shyt sometimes I feel like :no: nevermind

Mariah Carey’s Fantasy is playing on my playlist right now…

I just got a flashback of my third grade show choir teacher twerkin and we walked in the class room on him with his hands on his knees and MC was blairing….

:kona:

Don’t ask the “question”. Y’all already know he is. 😆

• lovezoe

I encourage anyone with kids to watch Bully. It’s on Netflix. I was actually tearing up at some parts.

NaijaGal says:

============================
      yup that’s Otis dude is a good actor

——–
      Oh Ok. I haven’t seen that movie. Still waiting for it to hit redbox. 😆

• OutsidetheBox

You do you, imma do me.. :tea:

The bureau of Labor reports that in March 2013, the civilain labor force participation rates for White men (20yrs + ) was 63.8.

The civilain labor force participation rates for Black men (20yrs + ) was 61.0.

#helpful

• VDot

“Why is that an assumption when that is the reality in most black households? ”

********************

:thinking: You just have a love/hate relationship with everyone huh? / <- the thinnest line to ever exist

• luVn_liFe…

lovezoe says:

~
      ~
      I read the BOOK 😮 this is about the Kids from So.Fla right???

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

jeniefrumdabloc says:

or yahoo for that matter and T M Z

TMZ’s comments section is the absolute worst. They go IN on Harvey’s homosexuality. I’m shocked that he doesn’t close registration. :coffee:

ovezoe says:

I will add that, I have been seeing that, and never decided to click play. I will watch it hopefully tonight :yes:

With three beige kids in tow

I got some in my fam. I can call ‘em that. It was the little fella who caught my attn, Razz. So cute..pink polo, khakis, boat shoes.. with a scowl outta this world, Craig.

I wanted him.
      —–
      We dress lil razz like this outside of school :love: but he’s a cool creamy chocolate :yes:

• NaijaGal

Oh Ok. I haven’t seen that movie. Still waiting for it to hit redbox.
      ==================================
      chit VH1 plays it every so so weeks…it was a tv movie…really good…”Aint nobody coming to see you Otis, they coming to see me” <====David Ruffin 😆

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

jeniefrumdabloc says:

Hell not in my household where I grew up

I should’ve said nowadays.

• Nakeya_j

jeniefrumdabloc says:

Why is that an assumption when that is the reality in most black households?
      ———–
      But why could he had not been asleep on his day off? And what if the wife always did the bills?! That does not mean he does not work. smh.

• OutsidetheBox

I encourage anyone with kids to watch Bully

Great movie.

In our local news, A black man killed three ppl (aiming to kill one) because they teased him about a misfire he had at a gun range.

He went with a coworker… coworker video’d the misfire…takes it back to work, proceeds to tease/taunt his “friend” about the misfire.

Well dude mustve gotten tired of the teasing (“bullying”) and took a gun out to the bar and shot him and two others. Killed em dead. 😮

• lovezoe

Luvn- not sure about the book. This documentary follows kids from different locations. Sad how kids bully. It’s a difference between kids being kids and bullying.

Nakeya_j says:

jeniefrumdabloc says:

Why is that an assumption when that is the reality in most black households?
      ———–
      ———-
      This whole thing has blown completely out of proportion. It’s just a commercial showing an everyday family. I all men napped. :rolleyes:

• OutsidetheBox

/ <- the thinnest line to ever exist
      ________

:hahaha: :heart:

• A.J.

Why is that an assumption when that is the reality in most black households?
      This commercial is geared towards bi-racial households; not black households.

Everyone knows a black man with a white wife ain’t hardly not working to keep that white woman happy. :tea:

• lovezoe

Why is that an assumption when that is the reality in most black households?
      ——————-
      I don’t know what black folks YOU know, but every black family I know the man is a great provider for the family. Shucks, naps good for the soul.

• NaijaGal

I should’ve said nowadays.
      =====================
      no you shouldn’t have said it at all

• luVn_liFe…

lovezoe says:- not sure about the book. This documentary follows kids from different locations. Sad how kids bully. It’s a difference between kids being kids and bullying.
      ~
      ~
      Gotcha,I dont think Im thinking of the MOvie BULLY;True life story

• Miany

@OTB… not to shed light on a serious situation but… :facepalm: they bully u for poor aim and even in retaliation, your aim still sucks… smh
      R.I.P to those killed at the hands of this lil unstable idiot.

It’s a difference between kids being kids and bullying.
      ——–
      Damn sure it is. I pray my baby doesnt have to endure something as horrific as kids do today. Kids just dong give a fugg these days.

• lovezoe

Dazzle- we say the same. One boy killed himself and kids came to school the next day with ropes round the neck. School quiet as church mice.

• luVn_liFe…

@ZOE
      i just googled it,Its a Documentary 🙁 The TRailer is heartbreaking

SAD!
      Just SAD

they bully u for poor aim and even in retaliation, your aim still sucks… smh
      R.I.P to those killed at the hands of this lil unstable idiot.
      ——–
      I dont want to laugh but… :kona:

• OutsidetheBox

they bully u for poor aim and even in retaliation, your aim still sucks… smh
      R.I.P to those killed at the hands of this lil unstable idiot.

Pretty much.

Folks need to watch their mouths, moral of my story, kids and adults alike. You never know what someone elses tipping point is. His only prior charge was a shoplifting years ago. Who wouldve thunk it.

• SunnyPA

THE MEDIA took the comments off YouTube…

Every video on YouTube has dislikes and nasty comments. A lot of people have to disable the comments section because of it. There are a lot of miserable people with no other intention but to make other people miserable. I quit reading YouTube comments a long time ago.

This is the only blog where I still read the comments section.

lovezoe says:

——-
      You’ve got to be fuggin kidding me?? But then again I can believe it. People can be so blind to what their child is doing outside of the house. Those type of parent get on my last fuggin nerves. I’m currently dealing with one of those now. (myself and other parents) :no: <–smh

• luVn_liFe…

I dealt with the BuLLying Situation when my son was in 6th grade..

We cleared that up QUICK though! Nahhh turds U will Not break mines down!
      :nono:

• Nakeya_j

—-
      YES! You have to pay attention!!! And I don’t give a damn what anyone says, if my son comes home with a story about how such and such kicked him, said he was gonna beat him up, told him he a bytch, I’m up at the damn school!! I will not have my child ready to kill himself over these dumb ass, no home training having ass kids.

• OutsidetheBox

So my son OTB9, aka Mars, is a dork. 😆 He’s never told me ppl call him that, but I was a kid before and Mars is a “dork” 😆 Glasses, twisted clothes, starship enterprise brain and all..

He has been telling me about his friend TBaby being teased.. he is a chubby… scratch, obese little fella, round as he wanna be, and about as dorky as Marlon… BUT that not whats getting him teased?

Mars said he had a big secret he couldnt tell anyone, so of course im like 😮 tell mum now! He says :gossip: when kids tease Tony he poops in his pants…

No kidding yall. I was fighting back tears trying not to laugh. I said well he needs to tell his parents…Mars says he do, they send him with a chnge of clothes. :wail:

Then I say, well son, YOU be a better friend to TBaby and encourage him to go straight to the bathroom when his stomach feels upset when ppl start teasing him. Poor baby be having anxiety attacks I guess?

I said Mars, im proud of you for being his friend, but you better wash your hands everytime yall play, or imma beat your tail.. :wail:

• luVn_liFe…

:newpost: Mike Douglas Throak :newpost:

Speaking of kids I found this on FB :rofl:

“Went for a run today and was disrupted by a small group of children who thought it would be funny to run 2m ahead of me screaming as though being chased… Making me appear to passers-by like some sort of sweaty pedophile, and prompting an elderly man to yell leave the kids alone.”

• http://instagram.com/eastpointvet eastpointvet

cute commercial his name is charles whitfield

• OutsidetheBox

:tea:

• VDot

“In our local news”
      ****************

Oh really huh? I’m going to Miami in a few weeks. Mapquest says I could find my BayBay in about 4hours (I can make it in half an hour). :thinking: Mamas coming home! :steer:

:newpost:

• lovezoe

————————-
      Sure would. Parents they raising little angels. 90% of the time you know exactly who your child is. I got a talker, if they say he talking I believe. Parents are bullies so their kids are bullies.

• daprinceofradio

I’m bi racial. Mother is white.. Father is black from Barbados…whats the big freakin deal…sheesh. GM made this a issue by cutting the comments section off apparently.

• Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally

^Possibly an exaggeration, but very much so true. Many times its quite obvious that the ‘Mother’ and the ‘Father’ could not have possibly given birth to the child casted to play their spawn. Black folks will argue ohhhh but we come in all shades and ohhh my Father is this and my Mother is that and I came out like…YAWN! Its obvious Claire and Heathcliff didnt produce Denise and Sandra :shrugs: Not a big deal, but dont use the genetics theory to pretend like it is…In fact I think Sandras real Father was that electronics man Cliff was always dropping money on. The fact that Claire could make a phone call and convince him to refuse her hubbys business…Hmmm…But I digress :nun: Go into any casting and yes Many of the Black children have non Black parents (usually Mom) in the lobby signing them in…I remember seeing Jamie Foxx’s oldest daughter as a 8 or 9yr old going on castings…And then seeing her Mama 😮 Not 😮 Cuzz she was White,,,but just 😮 for other reasons…

“General Mills’s decision to “stand by” the commercial is insulting by itself.”

I disagree…Attn must always be brought to these situations. Simple minded people who believe that racism no longer exist-need to be reminded :yes: Ignoring a problem, does not make it go away! I tried that ideology when I had the :claps: Big mistake,,,Big big mistake,,,As is pretending that America has some how healed,,,Or changed,,,Yes we can, but NO WE DIDNT! 🙂

• Audacious2

Cute kid 😆 Looks like a little Shirley Temple. She should be cast for the new Annie production.

• http://myspace.com/dannyblaq dblaq

Everything in this country is based on race somehow and somewhere on every front. Stereotypes are usually based on truth and if the stereotype is kept being fed then it isn’t really a stereotype. Racism never left it just evolved and there is only one thing that gets you a pass and that is money. You produce money for one or the other, everything else can be overlooked but once the money flow stops the pass will be revoked. That’s why we start to see all this racist sh!t again because some people are struggling and somebody has to be at fault but not yourself.

The comment section on these sites IMHO opinion reflect what people REALLY feel since they can go off without being known and held accountable if you could only have one internet account with some of your personal information attached to it or it can be easily obtained none of this would be out there.

Anyways we all contribute to racism one way or another, some may call it “preference” but the reality is that you still discriminate if you say “I only date/like …. ” but I also believe that there are different levels. If you look at America’s history, the country has been built off it so it has become part of the foundation. Also the civil rights act wasn’t signed until late 1960’s which has been only little over 40 years ago. There are a lot of 40+ year old people in this country and their parents were accustom to being “superior” over others. Many still instill that believe.

I knew a preppy white kid where his parent where you typical bible thumping conservative and he admitted that his parents told him that it is okay to interact with blacks or other races within the work place just as long as you don’t bring them home or into their circles.

We could go on and on about this topic. The bottom line is that little has changed in this country and I doubt that it will anytime soon. We just got too comfortable because Hip Hop used to make a lot of money but since it took a drastic nose dive its back to the 50’s