Reaction to New Yorker’s Gay ‘Bert and Ernie’ Cover

New Yorker Gay Bert and Ernie

In the wake of this week’s Supreme Court’s ruling on the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and California’s ban on gay marriage, the New Yorker magazine thought it would be cute to feature Sesame Street’s Bert and Ernie as a gay couple on its same-sex cover.

The cover features silhouettes of the iconic puppets cuddling on a sofa while watching coverage of the SCOTUS decision on television.

In the 1980s rumors were rampant that Bert and Ernie were a gay couple — until the show’s producer released a common sense statement: Bert and Ernie don’t have sex, they’re puppets.

“Bert and Ernie are best friends. They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves. Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics (as most Sesame Street Muppets do), they remain puppets, and do not have a sexual orientation,” Sesame Workshop said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter at the time.

Conscientious gays draw the line at the media hijacking puppets to teach preschoolers that boys having sex with boys is normal. Even in private schools this message is being pushed to children. An “indignant” reader on THR gave his opinion on the cover in THR’s comments section:

GH writes:

As a gay man, let me just say that until or unless “Sesame Street” actually declares Bert and Ernie to be a gay couple (and for the sake of its adolescent viewers I hope it never does), the New Yorker cover is entirely inappropriate. It’s an insult not only to the show, but to those of us who grew up watching it, and to children watching the show currently who aren’t yet old enough to know what gay is, or even sexuality for that matter. It also could be interpreted as a mocking of my community as a whole. All in all, the cover brings

• JET features first gay male couple
  • T.I. Defends His Wife; Says Gays Are Too Sensitive
  • Newsweek: The First Gay President
  • Jason Collins: “I’m a 34-year-old NBA center. I’m black. And I’m gay”

74 Responses to “Reaction to New Yorker’s Gay ‘Bert and Ernie’ Cover”

Aryanna says:

Why choose puppets from a kids tv show tho?

GAGIRL87 says:

Aryanna says:

Why choose puppets from a kids tv show tho?

You obviously didn’t read my post. :coffee:

RegyBery says:

Yes this that bs :cuss:

Most definitely INAPPROPRIATE and I’m a ‘Queen Queer Dear’.

“This doesn’t surprise me: the media is complicit in promoting the gay agenda to America’s youth under the pretense of an anti-bullying campaign.”

Exactly Sandra. :preach:

Wow…

Dem Babies Mama Da Bombshell Esq says:

Nope not today :kona: Call me when the top changes ya’ll

Ty says:

:cosign: Not surprised though they’ve been running shyt for a minute behind the scenes in most outlets anyway

The Republicans also cut Sesame Streets budget so they have to lay off some of their employees :(

________

Only boys :huh:

But what kids reading The New Yorker? What posters on your site for that matter? :blankstare: Not tryna to be rude or nothing, but their market is another market. If you do subscribe to The New Yorker this isnt the first youve seen of controversial covers. :shrug:

This is crazy. I always thought of Bert and Ernie like Felix and Oscar. :no:

:hi: Everyone

Did everyone leave because the New Yorker called them gay? :shrug:

Only boys :huh:

The puppets are boys. I’m just sayin’. :coffee:

The Pearl! says:

Ain’t it dead up in here, Dimpz? Sheesh.

Dem Babies Mama Da Bombshell Esq says:

MzDimplez1123 says:

Did everyone leave because the New Yorker called them gay?

—————————

Dimpz see #7… I do not have the capacity for the gay agenda business toady guhl :no:

But what kids reading The New Yorker?

Kids don’t have to read the magazine to get the message. Aren’t magazines displayed on grocery store check out aisles where children can see them? Next you’re going to say kids won’t guess that’s BErt and Ernie on the cover? :shrug:

:hug: @ Bombshell

It’s ok. How’re those babies?

MzTisch says:

Afta-noon!

Dimpz :love:

Even as I grew to be an adult I never thought of Bert and Ernie to be gay until I saw it posted somewhere. The thought never crossed my mind.

The puppets are boys. I’m just sayin’.

I apologize; I guess I didnt understand the sentence. I’m aware Bert and Ernie are males.

TISCH! :hug: :kiss:

How are you Sweetie?!

I know, just craziness! Even after seeing it. :no:

Dem Babies Mama Da Bombshell Esq says:

MzDimplez1123 says:

@ Bombshell
      It’s ok. How’re those babies?

—————————-

:hugs: Dimpzzzz The :pacifier: :pacifier: are good

SHAUN! Hola Mi Amor! Que eres tu?

Thanks probably horrible Spanish but, WHERE YOU BEEN?! I been texting/sexting/phone stalking, whatever the hell you call it, YOU! :wail:

Next you’re going to say kids won’t guess that’s BErt and Ernie on the cover?
      ________

No; actually I wont. I know how you take to dissenting opinions. I will point out that grocery stores that sell controversial mags including tabloids often take an extra step and place “blockers” in front.

I have never seen a New Yorker in a grocery store but then again, I’m po’dunk. You have a nice weekend!

HEY LUVIN! :wave: <—Happy pills for that gravi of your's

MissHarlem says:

This cover PALES into comparsion to the controversial covers in the past or cartoons for that matter. I am more offended by the Taliban Obama cartoon in the New Yorker than this. Also I have never in my life seen the New Yorker in the supermarker by the check out. Target, Walmart, Pathmark etc. THAT is not their demographic. They aint new to this you are :coffee:

Happy pills for that gravi of your’s :lol:
      <– She is HAPPY! :D

Whaddup DIMPZ

Que eres tu?
      ______

:huh: Yo soy O T B…

:lol: :hug: My phone is no go. *deep sigh* Just not even facing that hurdle yet.

Catch you in your inbox! :wave:

TruGemini says:

I’m just really tired of all this…Always tryna MAKE people accept or acknowledge that this type mess is “normal”…well it ain’t. Throwing it in our faces from every angle isn’t going to make people accept AND agree with it. LEAVE THE BABIES ALONE!

Mr.BluPhi says:

:rofl: :hahaha:

MissHarlem says:

:kiss: MZ sooooo happy the work day is almost over :thankyou:

That’s happy?! :blink:

Nothing much. Just job hunting. It’s a pain in the patoot!

I was gonna chill but small mindedness and baiting just fukks with my Friday. :eyeroll:

These are the ppl who speak on pop culture bout 50 times a year. New Yorker in a fukking Publix. Why I never.

Have a good weekend!

MzTisch says:

MzDimplez1123 says:

TISCH!

How are you Sweetie?!

I know, just craziness! Even after seeing it.
      ^^^^^^^^^
      Good, and you? Waiting for this day to be over. So over this Blackhawks ish………are they still bombarding the streets?

MissHarlem says:

OTB ohkay *sista girl voice*

:peace: Im sneakin out yall have a great weekend :waves:

@ SHAUN….SEE YOU THERE! :hug:

@ Harlem…Lucky you! I have 2.5 to go. I swear I do :thankyou: in my head whenever I TOTALLY agree with someone. :lol:

Aryanna says:

Aryanna says:

Why choose puppets from a kids tv show tho?

You obviously didn’t read my post.

I actually did read it Sandra, and no matter what they say, that looks gay. If you seen 2 men/boys who were hugged up on the couch like that “friends” wouldn’t come to mind.

Aryanna says:

___

EXACTLY!

@ Tisch…….They were the last time I went out. Being all rude and annoying and shyt. I saw a broad sitting in the ally in shorts, SHORTS! Fuggers nasty too. :nono:

@DIMPZ
      <—-SHE's APPALLED!! :hahaha:

U getting a Second JOB,or TOTALLY New?

:lol: She looks appalled, shocked AND amazed!

Totally new! :yes:

THis man on judge JUdy said i cant be PaciFic . . OH :blink:
      MmkaY

MzTisch says:

:blink: I know! I’ve been out and in the midst of they arses since after 6 this morning. One pissed me off straight out of the gate. Got off the train to transfer to my Metra train to come downtown and he says, This is the HOOD! I gave him the dirtiest look. Like, bish take your arse back to the burbs then. Give me my city back. I’m tired of them.

:huh: @ Tisch

Aw Hayle Nawl! I thought they were supposed to be attending the rally. Everytime I go out, they’re just congesting the streets, standing around looking lost and keeping my speed/power walking ass from getting to where i’m going. :mad:

Ace says:

I bet ya’ll don’t think Mr. Snuffleupagus wasn’t High as a kite either huh?

@Sandra Rose . .
      Ernest wallace,errr Excuse me “Bo FISH” turned himself in..

MzTisch says:

@Dimpz,

I’m just ready to get the fugg from down here and get back to my “hood”. Don’t they just stand around with that “look”? Taking pics and ish. Um, move heaux! I have a train to catch…………

I’m such a bish I walk right through their pictures. Others be stopping while they take their pic. Ummmmmmm, no. My train leaves at 5:43. Next one not unti almost 6:30. They not going to take me home? S’cuse me…..

KayCeiSoul says:

There is a reason for this major push of the gay agenda to our children.
      All you have to do is

A. Know what time it is
      B. Read your Word
      C. Read your Word
      D. Read your Word.

:nun:

It is appalling to people with morals to think that the gays would teach kids about alternative SEX from a young age and make them think it is ok.
      It may be ok for individuals involved, but to carry the agenda out as if it is ok for the masses is just blatantly WRONG.

More and more people are becoming transparently Godless. :coffee:

JMO says:

Who is Felix and Oscar? :blink:

First you didn’t know the Wonder Twins, now this! :smack:

:hug: @ Cuz

MzTisch says:

JMO!!!! :rofl:

Hey mama!

MzTisch says:

When I was on Maternity leave that was my late night regime…

Odd Couple
      Maude
      Brady Bunch
      other Nick at Nite shows

and eating something so bad for me but ooooo so good!

@ Tisch….. :yes: I grew up on those crazies. :lol:

:love: Mama’s Family

In a statement released Friday, Ballantine Books announced it has cancelled the publication of “Paula Deen’s New Testament: 250 Favorite Recipes, All Lightened Up”.

DEEN must be pulling her hair out YALL! :angry:

Paula probably sitting around saying to herself, those N-words have ruined my life!

Too soon? Sowry :kona:

:newpost:

missmiami says:

i am so over the pushing of the gay agenda. goodness gracious!

MissHarlem says:

You live in New York and you’ve never seen the magazine on the newsstands there? That’s odd. :coffee:

Aryanna says:

Why choose puppets from a kids tv show tho?

You obviously didn’t read my post.

Aryanna says:

I agree.

luVn_liFe… says:

@Sandra Rose . .
      Ernest wallace,errr Excuse me “Bo FISH” turned himself in..

Thanks hun.

iscream says:

This makes me sad. Why are they trying to force this on kids? There are so many famous gays they could have used on this cover. There isn’t even a straight couple on Sesame Street. I’m all for gay right but I’m not here for recruiting kids to your agenda. I hope they get sued.

iscream says:

The issue isn’t where kids will see the magazine the issue is that they are using children theme characters to promote their agenda. Kids who know Bert and Ernie have access to the Internet.

missmiami says:

i am so over the pushing of the gay agenda. goodness gracious!

Let them know exactly how you feel about that cover http://www.newyorker.com/contact/contactus

Tuh! Never liked Seseme Street :tea:

@ iscream: over in London Parliament is changing the definitions of male and female spouses to make ‘husband’ and ‘wife’ interchangeable for lesbian and gay married couples. Unbelievably, Parliament is re-writing the “rules” for all applications to reflect that a gay man can be considered a ‘wife’ or ‘husband’ and a lesbian can be a ‘wife; or ‘husband.’ I am not making this up. :no:

iscream says:

Wh wha wha what! This is why I have to have converse with my son about this topic. He comes home telling me how some of his male classmates call themselves bisexual. It’s sad that I’m having that the birds and bees conversation now includes the Paul and Steve convo. He just got out of the 6th grade. I’m blessed that he for now still feels comfortable to tell me any and everything. Never did I think that when having to talk to my son about the birds and bees would I ever have to consider asking about alternate lifestyles. Makes me cringe at what conversation I will have with my 3 month old daughter when she is his age.

Side note I respect your stance on the gay agenda Sandra. Even though you are apart of the community you don’t believe in forcing your lifestyle onto others. :thumbsup: :thumbup:

iscream says:

And I just sent an email to the editor….. :coffee:

Audacious2 says:

Wait, didn’t Sesame Street release classic episodes on video some years back with a mature/parental guidance rating? Because it was argued by child advocates that ….
      Ernie & Bert were a gay couple, not brothers
      Oscar the Grouch depicted homeless people in a negative way
      Cookie Monster was a bully who excites obesity
      Big Birds character was thought of as an insecure paranoid schizo
      Snuffeupagus – BigBirds friend, was phased out because he depict fat people as lazy & should be kept in seclusion. Also, they feared he was sending the wrong message to kids that may feel its okay to hide sexual abuse or secret friends.

Crazy funny though, really…Bert & Ernie were supposedly be a reenactment of “The OddCouple” according to its creator so I guess this really an insult to the show.

Audacious2 says:

Also, interesting offbeat article about the disorders that Sesame Street characters represent… GOOGLE “Sesame Street as Psychological Primer”