Samsung Buys 1 Million Jay Z Albums (is that even legal?)

Samsung Buys 1 Million Jay Z Albums

Last week there were reports that rap mogul Jay Z signed a $20 million endorsement deal with electronics giant Samsung to promote their Samsung Galaxy smartphones. The rumors were confirmed just days later when Jay Z posted a photo of a Samsung smartphone on his personal blog, Life+Times, and on Twitter.com asking his fans to tune in to game 5 of the NBA Finals for a special announcement at 9:15 p.m. Sunday.

The special announcement concerned the July 4 release of his upcoming album, titled Magna Carta Holy Grail, which he delivered via a strange 3-minute video that aired after the 2nd quarter of the hotly contested NBA Final matchup between defending champion Miami Heat and the San Antonio Spurs on Sunday night.

The video, which you can view below, shows Jay Z laying tracks in the studio with Def Jam founder and Columbia Records President Rick Rubin and music producer Pharrell Williams.

Upscalehype.com points out that, in the video, Jigga is seen wearing a grey Surface to Air “Go Home!” sweatshirt which retails for $170.

Two minutes into the video, Samsung’s logo along with the words “The Next Big Thing” flashes across the screen.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Samsung went all out to woo the former Marcy Projects crack dealer by buying 1 million copies of Jay Z’s albums.

Samsung plans to give away the albums for free to Samsung Galaxy users 72 hours in advance of the album’s release date. Users will be able to download the album through an app that they will receive next month. But users won’t be able to share the album until July 4.

The Samsung/Jay Z partnership is certain to tighten the competition between Samsung and Apple Inc., which recently announced the launch of iTunes Radio, a music streaming app which will come bundled with Apple smartphones.

Shares of Apple stock plummeted 57% (from $705 in Dec. 2011 to $403 in April 2103), amid concerns that slow iPhone and iPad sales would affect Apple’s quarterly earnings report in March 2013.

It isn’t immediately clear if Samsung’s unprecedented purchase of 1 million advance copies of Jay Z’s album will be tallied in with the total first week sales — or if the advance purchases are even legal. But what is clear is that Jay Z will rake in a quick $5 million bucks off the advance sales.

It is a well known secret within the music industry that certain well-to-do artists buy up mass quantities of their own albums to boost their first week sales figures. There are rumors that Jay Z’s wife Beyonce (or someone in her camp) purchased 300,000 copies of her 4th studio album, titled 4, in advance of its release date in June 2011. 4 went on to sell 310,000 copies in the first week.

• BET Gets OWNED by Tyler Perry and Oprah
  • Jay Z Gifts a Mercedes Benz to Skylar Diggins
  • Dr. Dre Donates $70 Million to USC
  • Kandi Burruss Opens a TAGS Boutique in Augusta

63 Responses to “Samsung Buys 1 Million Jay Z Albums (is that even legal?)”

iscream says:

Jay Z album… 9.99 Vs Samsung phone about 199.99 what exactly is the incentive of buying the phone with his album again? I don’t know if it’s legal but it sure doesn’t make much sense to me. And how is it he keeps putting put albums but he has artist who aren’t… You know what let me stop before EPV comes in here waving his Stan card.

:nono: Chile go head on ,,, I will keep my thoughts to myself, I hope his mess don’t show up as an update on my Samsung Galaxy tablet know that much :tea: I want no parts of Jay :nono:

iscream says:

What is it about Jigga man that white men love. I swear they act like he is the only rapper around that has a family to feed. It’s seriously becoming overexposure and how is he going to focus on his artist, sports clients when he’s about to be selling an album?

MetroAtlMrs says:

The rich keep getting richer as the poor get poorer as they say…can’t be mad at the business deal though.

Good morning Roses!

Cubarican says:

Morning all!

ion really care about jay makin more money. :shrug:

esoteric says:

I’m on the fence with this one… I just don’t see Samsung’s strategy… I mean I don’t know how many people are going to run out and get a new $200+ phone/ phone contract just to get an album (that could still leak and or not be that great content wise) three days before everyone else. I could get with it if they had a plan to give you several artist albums first over the time of your contract but just one….side eye… Now I do see the benefit of the deal for Jay… I guess it’s just hard for me as a level headed person who googled “jay z on phone” and saw an image of him in 2012 taking snapshots/ video at an event on an iPhone to take him serious as an product endorser… I don’t believe he believes in the product just in the checks and now album sales…but hey Beyonce was selling us hair dye (loreal contract) when we all know she wears a weave…can’t hate the Carter’s just playing the game!

lovezoe says:

Magna Carta Holy Grail
      ————–
      This. Along with Kanye album is too much.

NaijaGal says:

Samsung gotta do all this chit to sell phones :rofl: :rofl: LAME #iPhone

I read all about this on the twitter last night… “HOV is the greatest rapper alive” LIES I say… I was too busy watching my True Blood.

lovezoe says:

You can already have the phone to download it. Don’t matter sticking with Apple forever. Great marketing ploy for Samsung and Google Play

Carrington says:

Get it in, young black man from the projects.

#I ain’t mad atcha as long as you’re still putting out quality work.

NaijaGal says:

What is it about Jigga man that white men love
      =============================
      cause they think the negroes will follow whatever he says or endorses

<— Made a video defending herself and called everyone haters who had something to say about her busted can of biscuits tiddies.

Yeah. I'm hating real hard on her azz… :tea:

RAZZLE is the :champ: , not a BEDAZZLED tramp. :nono: says:

Chile Biscuit tiddies :ghost: __________________________

MsB2u says:

Don’t matter sticking with Apple forever

by lovezoe on Jun 17, 2013 at 8:51 am
      ——————————————

:cosign:

Nakeya_j says:

Magna Carta Holy Grail
      ————–
      This. Along with Kanye album is too much.
      ——-
      So…I mean….sigh. Do they really think they are Gods or what?! Yall holy now? Come on. I can’t deal. So I won’t. And they wonder why ppl believe they are in the illuminati. :tea:

Personally I think samsung phones are made cheap :tea: quality wise……

I am good with my brand,, but I like my galaxy :tea:

Nakeya_j says:

Good Morning all.

Ok so I have an HTC now, and I will NEVER go back to Samsung, no matter what they do. So getting Jay-Z to do this, is not a selling point for everyone. Oh well.

Good Morning

Iscream
      esoteric

:hug:

galaxy tablet that is :tea:

:eyeroll: meh I want no parts of JAY-Z

IN OTHER NEWS IM STILL TRYING TO HIT THE LOTTO
      OR THAT PCH $5,000 A WEEK.

IM TIRED OF THESE OLD (NEAR-DEATH) FOLKS WINNING IT ALL THE DAMN TIME :mad:

MissTaken says:

I was watching the video like :huh: GET BACK TO THE GAME MAYNE!!!! WHY IS THIS SO LONG! I was angry hunty.
      Now on the other hand I applaud Jay-Z for getting hustle on.

Nakeya_j says:

Hey Razzle! :hug:

Magna Carta Holy Grail
      YEEZUS

I WOULD HATE TO BE THESE FOOLS ON JUDGEMENT DAY :coffee:

NaijaGal says:

RAZZLE :hug:

Nakeya_j says:

Good Morning all.
      Ok so I have an HTC now,

Bim ! :tea: always had a HTC and will not get any other brand !!! Best phone out on that sneak tip !!! :coffee: I need a excellent built phone, so if I drop it the shyt want shatter or malfuntion, or get water damage easily besides :tea: I like go with things opposite of the norm

Picka, Keya, Razzle, Naija, :hi:

Jenie.. Funky Dineva posted the video of her going off about how people had something to say… It was quite hilarious how delusional she was.

The fact that I can’t tell where your neck starts and ends, your breasts looks like they’re suffocating you, I can see your Spanx line, should let you know you have no real friends for letting you walk out the house like that.

She was mad it circulated the innnanets like it did. :hahaha:

Nakeya_j says:

Bim ! always had a HTC and will not get any other brand !!! Best phone out on that sneak tip !!! I need a excellent built phone, so if I drop it the shyt want shatter or malfuntion, or get water damage easily besides I like go with things opposite of the norm
      —–
      This is my first HTC and I LOVE it! The only thing I don’t love is that I can’t take the battery out. Other than that, it is great!

capricorn83 says:

The Carter fam STAYS with a check. I can’t knock their hustle!!

~
      ~
      This was relevant to the story Because,the shirt was grey??? :shrug:
      I
      thought it was a GENIUS idea on both parties,aloT of imbiciles wer saying they wer going to go get\upgrade to the phone for the Download
      We’ll See :tea:

MorNing ROSES!!! :wave:

Nakeya_j says:

—–
      You can’t take the battery out :thinking: is the case hard to open, because all of my HTC are hard to open, the good thing is yeen gotta worry bout water damage. I dropped my phone face down one night, chile it rained the whole night. Do you know found my phone the next morning . :tea: I just knew the phone was no good, child not a drop of water got in that phone :lol: not a drop ya hear me !!! I am on my 3rd HTC still going strong, and will get a nother when its time for an upgrade :yes:

Nakeya_j says:

Luvn
      Capricorn
      Miss
      MsB
      Carrington
      Naija

:waves: Hope all had a great weekend. We watched New Jack City last night. “I wanna shoot you so bad my ____ is hard” tickles me EVERY time.

MissTaken says:

Hey Razz and Roses :hi:
      You are dead wrong for having that gravi of that tire rubber melted on that lady’s body. I kinda feel bad for her though because she probably posted on her page/ account thinking she was among friends. Then it went viral and she became target for black twitter :(

Nakeya_j says:

@Jenie No! The back can’t open at all!! If your battery is broken or something, they have to replace the entire phone.

Nakeya_j says:

Hey MsB2U and LoveZoe! :wave:

Nakeya_j says:

Whoa :shock: Ion know bout that :thinking:

MissTaken says:

Hey Razz and Roses
      —————
      She posted it on her IG page she said… and you know if your stuff ain’t private the world will make it so it’s on that popular page :lol:

MsB2u says:

IM TIRED OF THESE OLD (NEAR-DEATH) FOLKS WINNING IT ALL THE DAMN TIME
      ————————————-

Anyone do anything interesting this weekend???

Regie Bush lil baby is sooooooooooooo cute :love: she is a doll

renegadesince1985 says:

Genuis marketing/PR move from the Carter camp and Samsung…talk about a win win! :thumbsup: It’s not about buying a $200 phone b/c of Jigga…It’s promoting their new music app that competes with iTunes.

libra80sbaby says:

I’m so sick of the religious undertones in these rap artists names and album titles. Blasphemy :nono:

lovezoe says:

Libra- They doing it because everyone is buying into them being illuminati. No reason to say you love Jesus, then go name your album something like hat. You can’t drink from both cups.

lovezoe says:

:newpost: Luda

lovezoe says:

_____________________________

from Jesus walks with me to Yeezus (pretty much referring to himself as GOD)

THESE FOOLS ARE PLAYING WITH FIRE and I want nothing to do with it :nono: WHAT PROFIT A MAN TO GAIN THE WHOLE WORLD AND LOSE HIS SOUL

lovezoe says:

__________________________
      from Jesus walks with me to Yeezus (pretty much referring to himself as GOD)
      THESE FOOLS ARE PLAYING WITH FIRE and I want nothing to do with it WHAT PROFIT A MAN TO GAIN THE WHOLE WORLD AND LOSE HIS SOUL

:cosign: I will not give my money to that mess.

Smonae says:

Why hate on his hustle, people will always finds something sheesh :shrugs:
      I will be purchasing Jay & Ye :headphones:

renegadesince1985 says:

libra80sbaby says:

Magna Carta isn’t religious…it was a charter of liberties that limited the King of England’s power. The Holy Grail is supposedly the cup jesus drank from during the last supper. It isn’t mentioned in the bible at all but was legendary symbol used by writers in medieval times. Also, the term “holy grail” is used to refer to anything that is the ultimate goal of a profession or a superior endeavor eg; selling a million records in a week is the holy grail of a rapper. #helpful :coffee:

#honoraryilluminatimember :lol:

capricorn83 says:

:rofl: at “honorary illuminati member”

buddapecan says:

Waits for Eastpointvet to provide commentary…

eastpointvet says:

This is about 2 things: changing what we see in the music industry with the artist controlling how the music is presented and making samsung “cool” Samsung is in a ruff spot here in america as they are the number 2 selling smartphone but if you look at any of the phone company financial reports they are being outsold by a mile by the iphone. Overseas they are doing much better but here in the states they gotta brand themselves as the cool thing to have over the iphone and this just helps that. its only a few artist with enough clout to even pull this off and even fewer in the hiphop space. i think besides kanye which would be 2 controversial of a pick they really can only go with jay or em. the fact that they went with the black man should be something celebrated by most of us even if you dont care for his music, its a huge opportunity. and its more so bragging rights for people with samsung phones already as they get the album free its not really to get a bunch of people to buy the phones its for the people on the fence to say oh let me look at this samsung they are cool. black folks kill me with the illuminati talk, they are artist they play on that theme just to get yall riled up and it works lol. ***cues kendrick lamar HiiiPower***

Afternoon beautiful and conscious ones @ Eastpointvet good response. I have both iphone 5 and the samsung note ii, each offers much. Trust if Samsung was so shabby iPhone wouldn’t be pulling them through the courts and it’s more than mirroring what another implemented first. You like what you like as far as phone brands but this is bigger than purchasing a phone or Jay-Z the artist. It is great marketing and in the long visual he said important stuff for those DIRECTLY affected by the industry for which they are in or want to get into. It is the WILD WILD WEST and if you aren’t on the IN writing the new rules on how to market yourselves in the digital world you will lose. As someone who came in to her own with a business strictly online 11 years ago and building branching out offline from the online business I see good moves and this one is it. TBH you would be crazy to go out and get a phone for this… they’re marketing to the ones who have the phone but hey if you want to go out and get it no on will stop you. esp Samsung. lol SN: Illuminati: truly the ones who talk about it all the time but say it is sacrilege should check their unconscious enthusiasm radar. lol ***I cue Mos Def GOT 1999 ***