Artists Paint ‘Signs For The Homeless’ So You Won’t Look Away

Signs For The Homeless

The homeless and their crude, handmade cardboard signs blend into the cityscape at most major intersections and highway off ramps. But a group of artists in Massachusetts wants to make sure the homeless signs stand out so motorists won’t look away.

Signs For The Homeless” a project started by artists Christopher Hope and Kenji Nakayama of Massachusetts invited artists to give homeless signs a colorful makeover. The objective of the “Signs For The Homeless” project is to humanize the homeless and make them stand out against the urban backdrop that they have become a part of.

Rudolph West, 63, has been homeless for eight years. He told “Signs For The Homeless” he has trouble finding work due to his criminal record.

Signs For The Homeless

Bobbi, 52, told “Signs For The Homeless” she became homeless after leaving an abusive partner. She said she prefers living on the streets of Boston because of the violence she encountered in homeless shelters.

Signs For The Homeless

Colleen, 20, told “Signs For The Homeless” she had a “good childhood” growing up. But her life took a turn for the worse after she left home and became addicted to drugs. “No one wants to be homeless. I hope that people read this and understand… no one sets out to be on the street,” she said.

Signs For The Homeless

Angela Douyon-Previlon has 3 siblings on her mother’s side and 25 siblings on her father’s side. She said she left home after her abusive sister stabbed her in the head during a fight. “[The biggest struggle is] being depressed,” Douyon-Previlon told “Signs for the Homeless.” “I do not like this lifestyle. I try to stay positive because you could be depressed living in the streets.”

• fanMAIL: Siohvaughn Funches-Wade is Losing it
  • Chad Johnson facing foreclosure
  • Homeless man with Golden Voice held by police in LA
  • Crime: A Black Woman Dies in Buckhead

86 Responses to “Artists Paint ‘Signs For The Homeless’ So You Won’t Look Away”

I don’t know what to say about this :shrugs:

Oh, :think: How Nice of the Artist??? WEIRD :kona:

LuvMySailor says:

I like this.
      It makes homelessness human. I’ve worked with homeless people and the sterotype is that they are lazy. Most just ran into financial issues, have no family support, have mental issues that our state (VA) does not have the resourses to help, or can’t find affordable housing.
      I try to help where I can.
      Heck we’ve taken in family members AND their kids so they won’t be on the street.

KyCakes says:

I always give money to those with a classy sign :rollseyes:

Look, most of the homeless people I see have on nice kicks, gear, jewelry, etc…Even saw one cat with his ‘lac parked off to the side…

One guy had a joke on his sign… It said “It’s so hot outside I heard a tree whistle for a dog”

I gave him money off GP cause I laughed….

MissHarlem says:

Ok so I know this will sound rude and or crazy idgaf but ummmm wouldnt it be nice to set up the same program but instead help fund them in other ways. Something like a hand up and not a hand out type of thing. I guess kudos to the sign but that time could go to them in a more beneficial way. How bout set up an art program for the homeless :shrug: I guess

Shay_OH says:

What up Roses! :waves:

~
      ~
      I see Bobbi’s sign IS paying off,Ya’ll see her STARBucKS drank Ova there that prolly cost $12 . . .
      And didnt someone just the other day say they gave money to a HomeLess person cause they liked the sign???

Are they helping them by sparing some change too?? I mean it’s an interestingly nice gesture… but I mean… :shrug:

KyCakes says:

:whistle:
      SHAY-OH….SHAYAAA-OH

Daylight come and me wan go home

Gigi26 says:

Uhhh. I have nothing but God Bless them.

That is all.

deedeegirl says:

I read this the other day and they positioned it as having “helped the homeless with unbelievable results”.

It’s unbelievable to me that anyone thinks this is how you help someone. Please donate the costs of those art supplies instead.

Shay_OH says:

I was just reading the last post about Bey riding her bike to the concert? Do we believe that? :think:

Or was her :buttshake: in a rick-shaw riding in the back? :lol:

Miany says:

We gotta start telling the truth to these hoes. These bytches thinking cuz they fukking these lame dudes that wouldn’t pull a 6 on their best day without the cash, they got some credibility.
      Go play in a freeway.
      ^^ :dead: Gigi azz killed Rosa… someone goes :newpost: but Gigi had some shiii to get off her chest sooooooo :casket:

Angela Douyon-Previlon has 3 siblings on her mother’s side and 25 siblings on her father’s side. :shock:

BrownskinQT says:

Did anyone read or hear that Tameka Raymond was granted emergency custody?

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Hey Shay :wave:

I still don’t know what to say about this :shrugs:
      Hey Shay :waves:

Shay_OH says:

:whistle:

KY-O!! KAAAAAY-OOOO!! :rofl:

Please donate the costs of those art supplies instead.
      ———–
      :cosign:

You’re spending more money buying the supplies all the time anyway…

Miany says:

That’s nice…cant donate money donate your time… THose neon colors are bright and flashy.. I always give a dolla or my change when i have and I don’t think the sign makes a diff to me but it was a nice gesture and I’m sure the homeless appreciated it.

MissHarlem says:

I like the thought and gesture however the execution can be more with the same thought and gesture.

Shay_OH says:

:waves: Hey Keya & Jenie!! :hug:

BrownskinQT says:Did anyone read or hear that Tameka Raymond was granted emergency custody?

:wave: Brownskin,SHAY,MzHARLEM :happy: Miany RAZZ :hi:

Gigi26 says:

Miany: This is how hoes like that Tuscan sam looking bytch Draya come up, just off fukking these lames and telling about it! NO TALENT whatsoever but talking about they gotta BRAND.

FOH. These hoes all come out with the same garbage ass product that they don’t even use themselves! Weave, makeup, swimsuits, anything they could put their garbage ass names on.

I’m gonna start the kill these bytches self esteem coalition. Black women tear each other down, that’s the best she can come up with, please. Bytch you fukking for cash, just say it. I’ll respect you more for it instead of calling yourself a model and you taking pics in Apple bottoms. :rollseyes:

FuturedocDonte says:

So instead of trying to get these folk help, we build them better signs they can continue to be homeless :thinking:

Shay_OH says:

BrownskinQT says:

Did anyone read or hear that Tameka Raymond was granted emergency custody?

I hadn’t heard that! I only read about her filing for emergency custody. She must be a wreck right about now.

Miany says:

@Ky…. ion know who sessss life we talking bout but somethin shiii someone
      Anyone wanna manufacture a crisis…

Ya’ll see that hell HOLE in OHio wer Castro Keep those young ladies is being demolished as WE FOnT

Shay_OH says:

On topic: That’s cool, I guess. Sometimes it is hard to read those handwritten cardboard signs when they’re standing on the corner, and I’m a few car lengths back from the traffic light.

I’m never certain if they are hitch-hikers or just beggin for loot, so I guess I like the signs better.

Dem Babies Mama Da Bombshell Esq says:

:tea:

Shay_OH says:

:waves: S’Up luVn!!

deedeegirl says:

oh and to be fair, I read that they donated the signs and $10 to each person. The $10 was kind I guess. But I think this was more about getting themselves in the news than helping the homeless. They were homeless before and still homeless after, but maybe that $10 helped feed them cause it sure won’t help house them.

TameKa was GRANTED An Emergency Custody Hearing for FRIDAY

KyCakes says:

Miany says:

@Ky…. ion know who sessss life we talking bout but somethin shiii someone
      Anyone wanna manufacture a crisis…
      ——————————————————————-
      Or something…chit.

I’m gonna have to go do some work if we don’t get something going soon…

MissHarlem says:

DOC thats my point. I just dont get it at all. Its like giving homeless people ketchup and no burger, kool aid no sugar :shrug:

LUVN hey boo :waves:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

——
      I don’t know who is worse, Gigi or Dubb. :hahaha: And they still make Apple Bottoms?! :blink:

BrownskinQT says:

@Shay OH , I just saw it going through my timeline on fb,not sure how true it is.

Shay_OH says:

luVn_liFe… says:

Yep, that’s all that’s been on our local news here this week. They let the family go thru on Monday to get out any remaining items that were still left in there.

I bet not see any restaining items/chains/handcuffs listed on Craig’s List.

MissHarlem says:

KY I gots nathan either :no:

FuturedocDonte says:

See Donte I was thinking the same thing :shrugs: maybe they do more and we just don’t see it in the write up :shrugs:

KyCakes says:

Shay_OH says:

———————————————————————
      I was coming back form my Mom’s house last week at about 1:30 in the AM

Muhphuckas was out pan handling then… :no:

There are plenty of companies that hire felons, plenty of places you can use as an address for employer purposes, etc.

When I see someone with all their limbs, decent teefus and enough education to make a sign for themselves, I get turned off from wanting to help.

Yes, homelessness is real, but so is sloth…

Gigi26 says:

:waves: HARRRLEEEMMM!!!

Nah Nakeya I don’t know if they do cuz shiid I ain’t never purchased any but I do know that these “Models” are not wearing top notch Model shyt cuz they can’t fit it or afford it..

Model hoe wears: Louboutin shoes, Chanel purse.

Real Model wears: Skinny jeans and flats. Heels reserved for the runway.

@SHAY
      What’s there to get all That CRAP Should be thrown in the DUMP *STANKFACE*

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Model hoe wears: Louboutin shoes, Chanel purse.

Real Model wears: Skinny jeans and flats. Heels reserved for the runway.
      ——
      :yes: smh. Sad.

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

@Shay I would not want a dag on thing out of that house. :no:

KyCakes says:

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

Slow news day.
      ———————————————————————
      :yes:
      So tell us more about thicky-kins…

Did you see my tips downstairs?

That last “homeless” chick shole look healthy. She gettin more meals than me.
      :eek:

One More thang ANYONE watched HARDKNOCKS last night??

I was surprised at Adam “PacMan” Jones wife :tea:
      1.Surprised that he’s actually married
      a.Stays in the strip clubs
      b.He stays gettingin trouble about women
      2. She’s ummh a Big GAl

Okay FOR REALZ IM out :peace:

not sure how I feel about this…

not sure how I feel about this…

Shay_OH says:

KyCakes says:

I was coming back form my Mom’s house last week at about 1:30 in the AM

Muhphuckas was out pan handling then…

Yes, homelessness is real, but so is sloth…

I had a white man, approx. 45-ish ask me for some $$ one day outside of my office building. As I was digging around in my purse for some money, an old black dude next to me mumbled “What a waste of white skin.” :rofl:

I think he told me he was a vet, which could have been a lie, but it softened me & my purse-strings up.

MissHarlem says:

GIGI :waves: I told your behind GOOD and BYE downstairs and you still not behaving :lol: hey boo

BrownskinQT says:

lUvN :hi:

Shay_OH says:

@ luVn & Keya

You couldn’t pay me to take anything out of that house of horrors.

@KY

Yup! Saw your tips. :thumbsup:
      Ima use em too.

Except for the jacking off one. I knew about that one but if we phuck and I “shoot blanks” the first time she get all suspicious and stuff. :facepalm:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

——
      I don’t know who is worse, Gigi or Dubb. And they still make Apple Bottoms?!
      ———-
      You know they sell them things in Citi Trends, Burlington Coat Factory, Rainbow and the like.. :tea:

:eek:

Who is “All Things Fab and Fly?”

MissHarlem says:

^^^^^Crying real tears. I feel the sentiment bruh :rofl:

I wonder why the Bobbi chick was hiding her face… :think:

MissHarlem says:

MAN be nice :spank:

PSA MAN IS IN WUBB :love:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

RAZZLE is the :champ: , not a BEDAZZLED tramp. :nono: says:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

——
      I don’t know who is worse, Gigi or Dubb. And they still make Apple Bottoms?!
      ———-
      ——–
      :hahaha: At one point they were hot…now :no: They have gone on to glory with Roc-A-Wear, Baby Phat, and Dereon

KyCakes says:

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

@KY

Yup! Saw your tips. :thumbsup:
      Ima use em too.

——————————————————————–
      Blanks? You trying to get her knocked up?
      Does she got Oprah money?
      (I saw the skit where Oprah was Dave Chapelle’s baby momma :lol: )

Besides, you’re a young, strapping lad….you’ll manufacture plenty more man-juice in an hour…no worries

She looks Karly Redd-ish…
      :think:

Bootcampgirl says:

:smack: Geez, I’m so slow, I thought you guys were talking about Fidel Castro :kona:

GAGIRL87 says:

We did a report in HS where we interviewed homeless people and most of them came from good families and got addicted to drugs. Some were living pay check to pay check. I really don’t know how to feel about this either,but God bless

At one point they were hot…now They have gone on to glory with Roc-A-Wear, Baby Phat, and Dereon
      ———-
      Coogi too…

Geez, I’m so slow, I thought you guys were talking about Fidel Castro
      ———–
      if I could laugh out loud I would but for now i’ll just :lol:

:blink:
      Roc-a-wear not hot no mo?

Next yall goin tell me Fubu ain’t poppin. Man, stop1 :stop:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

:no:
      I am glad you posted this BC I I saw somebody with a Kinkos sign begging for anything I would slap it down like Mutumbo like you only need $8 for a bed tonight but you spent $22 on that sign :huh:

GAGIRL87 says:

The signs are really creative tho

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Oh and I just got through reading the other post comments..
      Not this one. Y’all are some aHoles :lol: to the people in the posts and one another…
      Continue…

GAGIRL87 says:

Exactly :tea:

GAGIRL87 says:

Taken :hug: whose that pretty lil lady in your avi?

:newpost: on Rhianna :newpost:

Miany says:

^^ :dead: black man was deaz azzzz.
      @Gigi…they shooooole cant fit real model clothes :rofl:

BrownskinQT says:

Roc-a-wear not hot no mo?

Next yall goin tell me Fubu ain’t poppin. Man, stop1

:ghost:

GAGIRL87 says:

Jenie how’s your b day going? :)

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

:no:

Ion know why I just pictured this :rofl:

Miany says:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:
      ^^^ cutie in the gravi…u still aint shii tho :rofl:

GAGIRL87 says:

Jenie how’s your b day going?
      Pretty good :yes: I’m full as a tick ret now, and I’m not doing shyt today but running my mouth ,,,, patiently waiting for quitting time :lol:

heartland says:

On Sunday I gave a homeless man my leftovers to-go carton with chicken fajitas, tortillas and chips, and $20.
      He didn’t have a sign but came up and asked me if I had any food in my car that I could spare and he had kind eyes. He was happy as hell and almost did a cart wheel.

marshefen says:

I hate when people criticize someone else’s attempt to help. Two artists came up with this idea, not the city, not the government. They used their own talent to help out in the best way they could. They may not have the time or the money to start a fundraiser to get that person off the street, but they can lend a hand.

nybrn2 says:

I like the signs——-but room and board would be nice!!! Why can’t some of these foreclosed homes, empty hotel rooms, etc be used to shelter the homeless???? I’m just saying…..