4 Tons of Quarters

A retired Illinois foot surgeon paid back a court ordered $500,000 in insurance money the unconventional way — in quarters that weighed 4 tons.

Roger Herrin was awarded $1.6 million in personal insurance compensation when his teenage son, Michael Herrin, was killed in a Jeep crash in 2001. Michael, 15, was the only passenger killed in the crash. Three survivors who were also in the Jeep sued Roger Herrin who collected the bulk of an additional $800,000 insurance policy, since his son was the only one killed.

After a decades long court battle, Herrin was ordered to pay back $500,000 of the $800,000 to the survivors who complained that he received too large a cut of the insurance proceeds.

“I’ve had 10 years to think about this a little bit, and I’m very, very bitter at this ruling,” he said. “It’s wrong, and everybody knows it’s wrong.”

4 Tons of Quarters

After reconsidering his decision to make the payment in pennies, Herrin (pictured center) obtained 4 tons of quarters from the Federal Reserve in St. Louis, packed in 150 transparent bags that weighed 50 pounds each, the NY Post reports.

“There was no satisfaction from doing that,” Herrin told The Associated Press on Thursday. “The loss of a child is the loss of a child, and all the money doesn’t replace that.

“I just wanted to draw attention to what went on here,” said Herrin, 76. “I really wanted to do it in pennies,” he added with a chuckle. Someone tipped off the local media, who descended on the opposing lawyer’s office like locusts.

4 Tons of Quarters

Mark Prince, the attorney representing the Jeep’s driver and her son, who was also a passenger, called the unwanted media attention a “burglary risk” for his law firm in Marion, Ill., where the bags of change were delivered.

“We’ve been on pins and needles because we had a lot of cash suddenly laying around, it was publicized,” Prince said. “We don’t have safes or vaults, and we lock our front door. Advance notice would have been nice, because we could have made arrangements to have it delivered to the bank.”

90 Responses to “Furious dad pays back $500,000 in Insurance money for son who died in car crash — with 4 TONS of quarters”

This countries dumb azz laws will be its down fall.

Kudos to this Father.

Unshakable says:

@topic – I can appreciate what he did…..I have went to Wal-Mart and counted out $0.50 cents worth of pennies….mind you, I held up the line and what not. #djm time are hard :rofl:

Cubarican says:

So you think Ocean’s 13 was gonna come in and swoop that up?? Aint nobody got time to drag out all that money in quarters. You see the manpower it took to deliver?

LuvMySailor says:

Wow :shocked:

I’m wondering why the survivors felt they deserved more money from the insurance payment. I’ve researched this and articles do not state who significant their injuries were.

Either way, I’m sorry this parent is in pain.

KayCeiSoul says:

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

This countries dumb azz laws will be its down fall.

Kudos to this Father.

************************************

Won’t they though? :yes:

It is becoming more and more apparent that these fugged up laws were implemented by mofo’s with absolutely NO morals. :coffee:

bnatural says:

He should have delivered them in pennies…heck even nickels and dimes if he wanted….

GAGIRL87 says:

“I really wanted to do it in pennies,” he added with a chuckle.
    _______________________________________________________________________

:rofl: old yt men are a trip

mzwhang90210 says:

_________________________
    This man lost his son..yet u trynna say he got too much $$?
    :angry:

I memba once I had this guy working for me…I’d tell him to do something one way..he’d do it HIS way (read: sloppy/trife).
    He told me, “what difference does it make HOW I do it..as long as I get the job done?”
    Well…when it came time to pay, I paid his arse in pennies. He was like :shocked:
    I said…”what difference does it make HOW I pay you..as long as you get paid!”

Anyway, back on topic..some folks have NO shame when it comes to $$. Your children are still ALIVE…be grateful for THAT. Greedy moon monkies.

Unshakable says:

@CubaRican – Exactly…..what burglar do you know is gon descend on someone’s house to steal quarters? :blink:

@SailorLuv – I cosign…..losing a child regardless of the circumstances is so unfortunate. Every parent I’ve ever spoken to said that’s their worst nightmare….to have to bury their child. No bueno.

Caramel Rain says:

****************

Seriously? :rofl:

Caramel Rain says:

****************

Seriously? :rofl:

iscream says:

I’m confused as to how the survivors are entitled to his insurance payout for his dead son. Insurance is one of the biggest rip offs! Health, death, home, car all of it. They always try to find a way to screw you.

Was his son the driver?

Miany says:

@Man, KayCei… these the type of laws that were created when those in power wanted to steal from others… A lot of these dayum loopholes were created when a rich enuff bastaaad wanted something (either money or power) he/she KNEW they didn’t deserve…. :tea:

KayCeiSoul says:

*******************************************

Whatever. Like somebody is going to be :whistle: while the attempt to sneak off with a big azz bag of quarters. FOH. This was a raw deal.

mzwhang90210 says:

Unshakable says: I have went to Wal-Mart and counted out $0.50 cents worth of pennies….mind you, I held up the line and what not. #djm time are hard
    _________________________
    :rofl: Chileeee..if I’da been in line behind you.. :whip:

Miss Mainey says:

:applause:

Miany says:

@iscream… the diseased is the passenger.. The two who were awarded $500,000 in quarters were the driver and her child…. :shrug: Ion get it either

The Master Beta :D says:

I swear money brings out the worst in people :no:

GAGIRL87 says:

Unshakeable & Kaycei :hug:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

He should of just paid them in pennies liek he started to. How can they feel like he got too much money? Yall asses are ALIVE. His son is DEAD and not about to come back. And no amount of money is going to replace the son, but come on now. Freaking Jerks.

GAGIRL87 says:

Insurance is one of the biggest rip offs!
    _______________________________________________________

Job Security for me tho :ashamed: lol

iscream says:

Really @miany let me google bc I wish a mf’er would!

Miss Mainey says:

I hope there’s nothing left after they pay their lawyer’s fees. smh

Caramel Rain says:

What I dont understand is..

1) did they collect from the AUTO insurance? If so, who was the policy holder?

2) IF not, was it a life insurance policy?

3) Or was it a default of something? Did they collide with a semi truck? Did the vehicle malfunction?

4) Was there subrogation? I need more details!

Either way, he lost a son and cannot get that back. NO about money can replace that. I hope he gets comfort and peace from the lost of his son.

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

The two who were awarded $500,000 in quarters were the driver and her child
    —–
    What I want to know is who’s fault was the car crash? And why should the driver get more money? He should now sue her for his sons death, if he can. Oh I would of been calling her all types of nasty names. Sorry Jesus, but I may of tried to fight her.

GAGIRL87 says:

@ Whang is that you :blink: :hi:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

How GA speak to about two people and then go about her business. Uhh miss, what about the rest of us?! *steals shoes in GA’s gravi*

Unshakable says:

@Caramel Rain – Fa serious…. as the sprite boy in MzWhang’s scenario said, “What difference does it make? Wal-Mart got paid, didn’t they?” :rofl:

Guhl, them pennies I find on the ground come right terreckly in handy! :hahaha:

Loves stuff like this. Kudos to Roger

mzwhang90210 says:

Gagiiiiiiiiiiiii *runs t’wards u like Nellie did Ceelie :kiss:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

He probably was the one who had sense enough to sue and retain adequate legal counsel and now they are pissed :no:

Caramel Rain says:

@Ms. Taken, Ok I understand you :wink: Phyllis is just not my cup of :tea: I like Lily :love:

Carrington says:

If his son was the only one who died, WASNT he supposed to get the lions share if the policy, or am I crazy as hell?

GAGIRL87 says:

@ Keya hey Ms. Pretty :hug:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Hol dup, Wang’s dog finally came up out of that nun outfit. Awww good for you Wang’s dog. Good for you.

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

——————————————————————

Keke….she said hello to me, so it’s like she said hello to you. You know we live vicariously through one another. Transparency is bliss! :rofl:

@GAGirl – Muah suga! How you be, witcha sassy self?

The Master Beta :D says:

Speaking of insurance I got a claim in about a sexual assault which sounds fishy the cable guy came to install cable for a female and she claims after he installed it he raped her and we r wondering did hubby come home early and you got caught and used the rape card (I am not making fun of the situation so don’t even go there)because in order to be a cable guy here you have to have a thorough back ground check ran on you and normally people just don’t start raping out of the blue

Miany says:

@Nakeya… girl ion even see that… (watch me speak to her like she said hi….)
    :hug: HEYYYYYY GAgirl! How you doing? You never finish telling us bout the claimant who was tryna ball out on his lil renters insurance claim. :thinking: Did yall pay him out for his 7 ipads and 3 flat screens?

KayCeiSoul says:

GG-Boo! :hug:

Isc said…. (HEY ISC! :hug: )
    “Insurance is one of the biggest rip offs! Health, death, home, car all of it. They always try to find a way to screw you.”

I have been going through car insurance fiascos since my dayum b-day!
    Michigan has some of the most expensve car insurance in the country and they have laws that hike the price if you allow your insurance to lapse for any reason – even if the car wasn’t working or driveable. :mad:

If you allow it to lapse, it could cost well over a G to get it back, and the monthly rate is more than a car note. I hate this state, I swear I do. :mad:

nybrn2 says:

He shouldn’t have to pay back one rusty penny!!! His son is dead!! That’s what insurance is for!!!!

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

*bats eyes* Hey Ga :hug: *admires new shoes in mirror*

mzwhang90210 says:

Unshakable says:

Guhl, them pennies I find on the ground come right terreckly in handy!
    _____________________________
    And I’ll BET you didn’t count the pennies in two’s..didja?
    Bet you stood there like “one…two…three..wait, I messed up…oneee…twooo..”
    Id’a socked you in tha back of your head. :rofl:

GAGIRL87 says:

Gagiiiiiiiiiiiii *runs t’wards u like Nellie did Ceelie
    __________________________________________________________________

*hand claps* ain’t no ocean ,ain’t no sea, keep my sister way from me :rofl:

@Carrington,

I’m glad you said exactly what I was thinking. I don’t see how they feel entitled to receive a larger portion of the lion’s share. Then again, maybe I’m missing something. Any roses got any intel on such a situation? :think:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

@Unshake, ohhh ok. Then I take it back. Butterum I am not returning the shoes. hahaha

@MzWhang ,

You know I did! I pulled them out by handfuls from my purse, and was like 1….slid it across the counter top (right after the conveyor belt)….2……..3……..4…….

You would have been proud! :rofl:

cougar lover says:

sounds about right, minus the individual bags.

Unshakable says:

@KeKe – that’s ok…..that’s compensation for emotional and mental trauma you suffered during that momentary meltdown! :rofl:

iscream says:

Okay so he paid 150k in coins not the whole 500k and we assumed the accident was the fault of the surviving driver it was not so I can now see why they felt they deserved money (that was from an outside insurance co).

On June 14, 2001, Michael Herrin, Jared Head, and Ross Duncan were passengers in a Jeep Cherokee being driven by Katherine Duncan when they were hit by a truck being driven by Brian Bramlet, who failed to stop at an intersection. Michael Herrin was killed in the accident while Katherine Duncan, Ross Duncan, and Jared Head all received injuries. All occupants of the Jeep Cherokee filed separate personal injury claims against Brian Bramlet, the at-fault driver. Bramlet’s truck was insured by Columbia Mutual Insurance Company (Columbia Mutual) with policy limits of $100,000 per occurrence. Columbia Mutual tendered its $100,000 policy limits.
    An issue arose as to how to divide the $100,000 in liability insurance proceeds provided by the Columbia Mutual policy. Accordingly, the trial court conducted a consolidated bench trial in December 2007 in order to establish values for each of the claims. After hearing all the evidence, the trial court found the following values for the claims of the occupants of Katherine Duncan’s vehicle:
    Estate of Michael Herrin Jared Head
    Katherine Duncan
    Ross Duncan
    $10,010,953.61 $ 633,804.70 $ 155,855.11 $ 125,892.50 $ 40,000.00 $10,966,505.92

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

So Phyllis is in a coma, and Kyle & Summer can be pillow buddies, but don’t know it. Too bad. I don’t like this Kyle, he looks creepy.
    by Anna on Aug 2, 2013 at 1:12 pm
    _________
    *turns over table like RHONJ*
    PAY ATTENTION :lol:
    They already Jack, Summer and Kyle the lie that they are siblings. The problem is they aren’t and Nick really is the diddy. Sharon is crazy.
    I’m tired now :phew: I don’t why I watch still

mzwhang90210 says:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Heyyyy Nakey..naw..the pup in my gravi is one of the FOUR puppies my dog had (unexpectedly). My regular gravi doggy ran off. I guess that debacle with Bo was too murch.

:ontopic: Wasnt it a PERSONAL insurance policy that the doc had? Thought I read that somewhere.

GAGIRL87 says:

@GAGirl – Muah suga! How you be, witcha sassy self
    _______________________________________________________________

@ Unshakeable

Girl I’m hanging on by a thread ova here :( but it’s cool I’m gone turn up tonight (I hate that saying btw) lol

GA has a date tonight :)

dontchall HATE an overzealous (read KISS ASS) coworker? UGH! :cuss:

it’s disgusting to watch

mzwhang90210 says:

@MzWhang ,

You would have been proud!
    _______________________________
    I am screeeeeeeeamin :rofl:
    Whewwww..thanks hunnibunni..I NEEDED that laff tuday. *wipes tears*

Cubarican says:

it across the counter top (right after the conveyor belt)….2……..3……..4…….
    ________________________________

That’s as bad as those old ladies writing out checks in the king’s cursive. Do you really gotta sign it with all them squigglies?

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

dontchall HATE an overzealous (read KISS ASS) coworker? UGH!
    it’s disgusting to watch
    by FaylaHasReinstatedBrendenOnTheWhipfinity :whip: BOD(Pending90DayProbationPeriod) on Aug 2, 2013 at 1:41 pm
    ——————–
    Well maybe some of us just good like that and you need to step yo game up!!
    I kid I kid
    There this one like that at my job. Even cut her hair like her boss and dresses like her now :smack:

Dem Babies Mama Da Bombshell Esq says:

What I miss :popcorn:

hubby went to get us some lunch from quizno’s & they had the NERVE to be CLOSED! :crying: had my mouf ALL tuned up Jesus!

today just aint if for me :cry:

melissak380 says:

Sad story – RIP to his son!

Hey yall :waves:

Well maybe some of us just good like that and you need to step yo game up!!
    I kid I kid

:rofl: Taken cheddup! but uhm yeah that bish YEW tambout sound cray-cray :scared:

melissak380 says:

why doesn’t my pic shoe up?! :mad:

Bombshell,

In an nutshell…..

Y&R has got the roses’ mojo agoing
    The man in the topic paid out the survivors of the accident in quarters
    I use pennies at Wal-Mart
    GAGirl has a hot date tonight

The End

Roger Herrin got $1.6 million compensation through his own coverage. Of an additional $800,000 paid out through other insurance, the Herrin estate got the bulk of it because of Michael Herrin’s death, with the remainder of that money distributed to survivors.

Those survivors appealed and won when the Mount Vernon, Ill.-based 5th District Appellate Court ruled against Roger Herrin, a retired foot surgeon whose business holdings include three southern Illinois nursing homes. Herrin has owned seven community banks, but he’s sold those off in recent years.

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

GA you bet not be being fass :spank: No kissing on the first date
    Ask Yourself what would Lisa Raye do :pray:

FayFay says:

———————————————————–

Jennifer Jason Leigh did something similar in Single White Female and you saw what happened. :tea:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

——
    Yes!! lmao!!!! I :heart: you!

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

GA you bet not be being fass No kissing on the first date
    Ask Yourself what would Lisa Raye do
    ——
    The Lisa Ray from yesterday or regular Lisa Ray?

Caramel Rain says:

Unshakable says:

Guhl, them pennies I find on the ground come right terreckly in handy!
    ****************

:rofl: you are too funny! I gotta lotta change too tho.

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Taken cheddup! but uhm yeah that bish YEW tambout sound cray-cray

by FaylaHasReinstatedBrendenOnTheWhipfinity :whip: BOD(Pending90DayProbationPeriod) on Aug 2, 2013 at 1:46 pm
    ———-
    Now that you mention it :thinking:
    She is in married with a dog…
    :woohoo: somebody help dis hoe finna us if she ever get let go

Cubarican says:

:newpost:

Dem Babies Mama Da Bombshell Esq says:

Bombshell,
    In an nutshell…..
    Y&R has got the roses’ mojo agoing
    The man in the topic paid out the survivors of the accident in quarters
    I use pennies at Wal-Mart
    GAGirl has a hot date tonight
    The End

—————————————–

Who Mama Monster going out with :popcorn:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Unmarried
    I need that please forgive my typos in my signature like angry pedophile mama morning glory :lol:

Her unsuspecting prey :hahaha:

I kid, I kid…..a very luck guy who she has decided to keep a mystery

Don’t worry though, I’ll be on my Sherlock Holmes nlt Monday

@KeKe – I love you too babes!

spongebobfan says:

hmmm i wonder what was the details on the crash, was teen drunk? was teen negligent in any way? how can the victims sue and get the dads insurance money? hmm oh well… sad he lost his son

Caramel Rain says:

*****************

ah. :thinking:

GAGIRL87 says:

@ Miany :hug: hey babes we are subrogating them for their lies :yes: he couldn’t provide receipts for any of the stuff :)

MsB2u says:

MONEY IS MONEY

GAGIRL87 says:

GA you bet not be being fass No kissing on the first date
    Ask Yourself what would Lisa Raye do
    ____________________________________________________________________

Okay no kissing :ashamed: Lisa Raye would give him the a$$…

Go-Go Girlie says:

What happened is he got $1.65 million from his personal insurance and the truck that hit them had $8000,000 worth of insurance and he got $600,000 of that as well. The three survivors split the remaining $200,000. They felt it wasn’t fair, so they sued to get more. Like someone said, the extent of the injuries haven’t been published, but I think everyone should have gotten $200,000

Thats hilarious. Sad situation but I think that was a genius idea!

Thats hilarious. Sad situation but I think that was a genius idea!

oops! Sorry Roses! Didn’t mean to post that comment twice.

Tt says:

He did try to pay in pennies, but banks won’t issue that much money in anything less than quarters.