Hospital Reverses Decision to Keep Troubled Teen Off Heart Transplant List

Teen refused heart transplant

An Atlanta hospital has reversed its controversial decision to keep a troubled 15-year-old off the heart transplant list after his family took their fight to the media.

Anthony Stokes has only 6 months to live if he doesn’t get a life-saving heart transplant. But doctors at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta informed Anthony’s mother that his name would not be added to the transplant list. Anthony’s mother, Melencia Hamilton, told CBS Atlanta the hospital believed Anthony would be “non-compliant” with his medications and follow-up treatment.

Teen refused heart transplant

Anthony’s outraged parents and supporters told TODAY that she thought CHOA was punishing her son for his criminal history and poor grades in school.

She said Anthony was wearing an ankle monitor when he was admitted to CHOA last month. He had been placed under house arrest for a recent fight.

Transplant doctors are usually not concerned with a patient’s school grades or criminal history. But transplant doctors will deny a patient a spot on the list if the patient demonstrates noncompliance with medications, drugs, alcohol, or shows a lack of regard for life.

Hamilton told TODAY that her son does not have a history of noncompliance with his meds. She said he was diagnosed with an enlarged heart last month when he showed up at the hospital, complaining of shortness of breath and chest pain.

Hamilton said that denying her son a new heart would be a death sentence for him.

“He’s a young boy,” Hamilton said. “He’s going to make mistakes, but I still think he deserves a second chance.”

Children’s hospital of Atlanta released a statement to the media that read:

“As we stated previously, a heart transplant evaluation is an ongoing process based on the patient and his or her family’s ability to meet specific transplant criteria,” Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta said in a statement on Tuesday afternoon. “While there has been misinformation circulating, Children’s cannot discuss the specifics of this case or any other case due to privacy rules. Our physician experts are continuing to work with this family to establish a care plan and determine the best next steps for the patient.”

59 Responses to “Hospital Reverses Decision to Keep Troubled Teen Off Heart Transplant List”

anw_rootbeer says:

The power of the media….well good for him and his family. I hope he complies with all the demands before and after if a heart is found for him. God bless!

Dem Babies Mama Da Bombshell Esq says:

I’on believe it… They want the media off their back because they won’t provide proof that he is back on the list either :tea:

:tea: I saw this on the news last night, and he at the top of the list too

Bomb that cake is :love: sooooooooo cute awwwwwwwwwwww so cute

GAGIRL87 says:

I’m so happy for this family :yahoo:

KyCakes says:

Hmm…I have a 15 yr old Son and he doesn’t take topless selfies… :tea:

I guess good for him, hope he does the right thing. Someone cussing them out right now tho

GAGIRL87 says:

Jenie :hug: hey boo

The Master Beta :D says:

Well I hope this new heart helps him turn a new positive leaf in life

Bootcampgirl says:

:warning: :offtopic: :offtopic:
    Everyone please pray for me, I just applied for this job with the state. I’ve been trying off and on for 8 yrs, this has to be my year.
    #carryon
    BTW, Dem Babies that gravi is cute..

Young man this is a blessing and don’t take it for granted :tea: cause from this point on they are going to be watching your azz. If you fawk up they are going to drag ya azz through the media. So be on p’s and q’s going forward :coffee:

Dem Babies Mama Da Bombshell Esq says:

FROM DOWNSTAIRS:

FaylaHasReinstatedBrendenOnTheWhipfinity :whip: BOD(Pending90DayProbationPeriod) says:

Bomb
    girrrrrrrrrl that shower was B E A U T I F U L u hear me?? if u EVA stop practicing law event/party plannin would be a really good look for u! :yes: awwww! :love: errythang!

———————————-

:ashamed: THANK YEW GUHL :bow:

Bootcampgirl says:

Oops, Hey y’all.. :bite:

KyCakes says:

@Master Beta I was watching Tower Heist last night and every time Gabby Sidibe had screen time, I thought about your gravi :wail:

MsB2u says:

Dem Babies Mama Da Bombshell Esq says:

————————————–
    :cosign:

<–Doesn't Talk To Strangers says:

Dem Babies Mama Da Bombshell Esq says:

<——– One of my shower cakes :love:

:heart: Awwwwwww
    :2dance: That just gave me the happies! :yahoo: #plusmypillsareworkingnow :D
    ———–
    On topic, ION have any opinion (same as yesterday) BUT I KNOW THAT GOD IS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN IN CONTROL! :yes: #tisHISWILL :woot:

Smonae says:

Boot ur gonna get hun :yes:

Bomb that is a cute cake :heart:

KyCakes says:

@Boot Guhl, claim it, it’s yours!!

Hey Boot! Good Luck Grasshopper! :hug:

THEY SAID he was put on
    Whether he is or isn’t,Truth BE Told he WONT get a heart.
    But
    he’s on the waiting list

Dem Babies Mama Da Bombshell Esq says:

Bootcampgirl says:

:warning: :offtopic: :offtopic:
    #carryon
    BTW, Dem Babies that gravi is cute..

—————————————

:pray: NO QUESTION… YOU GOT THAT!!!

:thankyou: It’s the topper from my baby shower cake :love:

KyCakes says:

luVn_liFe… says:

THEY SAID he was put on
    Whether he is or isn’t,Truth BE Told he WONT get a heart.
    But
    he’s on the waiting list
    ——————————————————————
    John Q anybody?

This young man can be a testimony to these young cats out here!

DO right, young man! :yes:

They are saying he could have a heart in a few weeks, being that now he is at the top of the list :tea: we shall see

The Master Beta :D says:

Boot :hi: I hope you get the job claim it :yes:

GA :hug: I was doing your srunchy face earlier yo! :rofl:

Time to make the donuts, I’ll bbl to read the write-up thoroughly :eek:

Dem Babies Mama Da Bombshell Esq says:

jeniefrumdabloc says:

Bomb that cake is :love: sooooooooo cute awwwwwwwwwwww so cute

————————————-

Smonae says:

Bomb that is a cute cake :heart:

—————————————–

:thankyou:

:woohoo:

You got it BOOT!!

Bootcampgirl says:

This young man can be a testimony to these young cats out here!
    __________________________
    Could be, but I have my doubts that he will. I have plenty of young cats in here who have survived near death experiences and welp they still in here… :shrug: 100th reason why I need to get out of this profession, I am becoming so cynical, I have lost my faith in helping this younger generation…

Why does a 15 year old have all those tats? Anywho, let me go read the post.

The Master Beta :D says:

KyCakes says:

___________________________

Miany says:

@Bootcamp.. It’s YOURS, we claim the job for you in the name of Jesus.

Re: this man… chile… if he fighting and carrying on they prob wont give him this heart. Best of luck to em though

BBL about to look up creative ways to cook some porkchops :pc:

The Master Beta :D says:

@ Bird did you watch the Haves last night?

Miany says:

I get :angry: when I see this baby daddy on tv. this man with the 72 kids… lawd lookin at this clip of him makes me wanna :hide: I need a moment. I’ll be back.

Bootcampgirl says:

A twist in the double shooting just south of Wilmington. The victim was once charged with murder himself.

Police say 33-year-old Medford Holmes of Wilmington was shot to death on the 4100 block of New Castle Avenue last night.

Holmes had faced first-degree murder charges for the 2011 murder of Antonio Smith, who was in a wheelchair. Charges against Holmes were dropped in March after a key witness was charged with perjury.

A second victim, a 32-year-old man, remains in serious condition at Christiana Hospital. He was shot multiple times.

Police have no suspects.
    Karma is real :tea:

jeniefrumdabloc says:BBL about to look up creative ways to cook some porkchops
    ~
    ~
    Do the Ranch style :thumbsup:

GAGIRL87 says:

Could be, but I have my doubts that he will. I have plenty of young cats in here who have survived near death experiences and welp they still in here… 100th reason why I need to get out of this profession, I am becoming so cynical, I have lost my faith in helping this younger generation…
    _____________________________________________________________________

:( :cry:

cougar lover says:

thats crazy, to be young and have an approximate death date.

GAGIRL87 says:

@ DTTS :hug: how did it turn out? lol

@ Luvn I like the Hidden Valley Ranch packets #bomb

Bootcampgirl says:

Anybody remember from yesterday the guys name who recanted his stance on mary jane?

Diva says:

:wave: morning my loves!

KyCakes says:

Bootcampgirl says:

———————————————————————
    Dr. Sanjay Gupta

@GAGA
    HVR packet is a part of the Recipe as well :yes:
    hubby\SON love it . .

Diva says:

jeniefrumdabloc says:

BBL about to look up creative ways to cook some porkchops :pc:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sis crockpot porkchops are the bitness!!!!

Smonae says:

I hope they didnt put this kid at the top of the list by bumping other children because of media attention :no:

Atypical says:

They should have…Thats a scary thing. Someone deciding because of your behavior if you deserve to live/die/get an important operation….Congrats to the hospital for doing the, humane thing and showing compassion. #filesnails

Smonae says:

Trust me, he is not at the top of the list.

:pray: Lawd Lawd Lawd please zap some ack right into this boy if he gets that precious heart. White folk gone give us hail if he screws up. Not to mention future juvenile delinquents will be rejected out of hand and given a pamphlet with his picture on it. Mama so far you have done a horrific job with this tatted up child. I suggest you chain his azz to the radiator to keep him in line and get him a male mentor that doesn’t live in his hood.

Bootcampgirl says:

Thanks @Ky

goat76 says:

I hope he take full advantage of his new heart if he gets one. Would be a shame if he ended up back on the news.

I have worked with transplant teams in the past. They all have God complexes. The decision to operate on a patient is theirs only — not the patient’s primary doctor. When a heart comes available, the transplant team will review all cases to determine who is the right candidate. Anthony will not be at the top of the list even if that heart fits him perfectly, i.e., blood type, matching tissue type, etc., so his body doesn’t reject the heart. If the heart fits him and another patient — the other patient will get the heart. That’s the way it is. It has nothing to do with racism or socioeconomic status. I’ve seen transplant teams reject non-black wealthy patients. They will reject patients for a specific reason, such as past drug use, noncompliance with meds, etc. The patient’s doctors have no say in the decision.

Anna says:

@ Sandra, nice to know money can’t buy a heart, but didn’t Larry Hagman(JR Ewing)jump the list decades ago?

Black_jewel2 says:

@Sandra I am co-signing EVERYTHING you just said. I have a best friend that received his 2nd heart transplant on Monday July 1st 2013. His first was while we were in HS at the age of 16.

I can’t tell you how many hoops he had to jump through before the first one and again before the 2nd. This panel of Doctors, Nurses, Social Workers, etc listens to a presentation of this patients case and they determine whether they will get put on the list. While the hospital said they didn’t consider grades, etc., that’s not true. They consider EVERYTHING! The first time they required his family to do some fund-raising to show a good faith effort of their ability to pay the bills that would emerge.

Over the years this man has had to endure continued follow-up visits, stress tests, EKG’s and multiple medications. IF this young man gets a heart (which I doubt), he will likely need ANOTHER one in about 15 years. Did you all know that there is a warranty on transplant organs? They don’t guarantee them longer than 10-15 years.

Anna says:

Anna says:

~~~~~~~~
    :lol: I guess I needed that sugar donut I just ate. Larry had a liver transplant.

teenbean says:

They might have put him on the list but trust me when I say he’s #1,000,000,000,000,000 so in other words he’s not gone make it while waiting on that transplant. And not to sound harsh but running to the media didn’t change nothing for this family cause he’s at the bottom of the list..