’12 Years a Slave’ Wins People’s Choice Award

12 Years a Slave

The awards and accolades continue to pile up for ’12 Years a Slave’, which won the People’s Choice Audience award from the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival, Deadline.com reports.

’12 Years a Slave’ debuted at Telluride Film Festival, and is already generating talk of Oscar nominations, despite earning the rep of being “too difficult” to sit through.

The Fox Searchlight Film is based on the true story of a free black man from upstate NY, Solomon Northup, who is abducted and sold into slavery. In his 12th year of slavery, Northrup (played by Chiwetel Ejiofor) has long been forgotten by the wife and children he left behind.

12 Years a Slave

The film is directed by Steve McQueen, and stars Brad Pitt, Ejiofor (top right), Michael Fassbender, newcomer Lupita Nyong’o (above and top left), and Oscar nominee Quvenzhané Wallis (top center).

One harrowing scene featuring Nyong’o had some film goers covering their eyes and bolting for the exits due to the cruelty depicted on the screen.

A slave owner (Fassbender) whips his house slave (Nyong’o) until her back is flayed to the flesh.

Then, when his arms tire, he hands the whip to his slave (Ejiofor) to finish the job.

’12 Years a Slave’ opens in limited release in select theaters on October 18.

29 Responses to “’12 Years a Slave’ Wins People’s Choice Award”

I cannot wait to see this. Folk know they get uncomfortable with accurate history. :shrug: *files nails*

Her skin >>> tres magnifique :yes:

TeaIsFinallyHere says:

I want to see this film. We must never forget our orgins in this country. Some folks what us to forget and move on.

Good Morning Loves. :hi:

One thing I don’t understand is why black people only win awards when they play a slave or the help. :shrug:

MsB2u says:

by RAZZLE is the :champ: , not a BEDAZZLED tramp. :nono: on Sep 16, 2013 at 8:49 am
    —————————
    Hmmmm good point :thinking:

MsB2u says:

OTB/MsB2U/Teal

How was your weekend?

by RAZZLE is the :champ: , not a BEDAZZLED tramp. :nono: on Sep 16, 2013 at 8:52 am
    __________________________
    Girl I think I ad to much fun that’s why me couldn’t make it in today :oops:
    :biggrin:

Shuga Honey says:

aww look at baby girl, Quevenzhane’. Hey Hush Puppy!!

Its not that im tired of slave movies (not a movie person anyway) but im tired of our history having been that of slavery. nothing we can do about it but i still hate that thats our truth.

Shuga Honey says:

TeaIsFinallyHere says:

and then there are those who want us to remember and move back! aint Paula Deen still crying TODAY about her daddy losing “his” slaves? :smh:

MsB,

I had just said last night that I should habe made my three day weekend a five day weekend. I need time to myself mane! LOL

deedeegirl says:

I keep avoiding reading this book

Dem Babies Mama Bombshell Esq says:

Morning & chit… YES I’m STILL Pregnant :wail:

BrownskinQT says:

From the previews I saw, I know I wont be able to make it through this movie. Chiwetel Ejiofor is a good actor and very underrated.

BrownskinQT says:

Excuse my rudeness! Good morning yall !!! Rubs Bombs belly :hi:

Dem Babies Mama Bombshell Esq says:

Morning & chit… YES I’m STILL Pregnant :wail:

:woot: :applause: Dem Babies getting right and ready!!! :yes:

Settle Down over there :huh: You’re a mother now :lol:

:hug:
    ===================
    On topic: I am going to go see this movie :popcorn: with my Granny :yes:

I forgot to stop for breakfast this morning… :wail:

Hey Bomb! :pacifier: :pacifier:

Dem Babies Mama Bombshell Esq says:

Brownskin, Razzle, DTTS :hugs: The practical side of me knows the longer they stay in the better but ALLLL the rest of me is just OVER being pregnant. I’m so uncomfortable and irritated :wail:

AlluringlySweet says:

Can’t wait to see it. I love accurate historical depictions of slavery. It serves to remind us that no matter how they try to portray blacks as savages, our history shows them as the most vilest and deplorable of them all.

Shuga Honey says:

Poor Mama Bomb. that last little bit of pregnancy is theeeee worse!

:hug:

Good mornin everybody :hi:

FuturedocDonte says:

Morning :waves:

Thanks for letting me know that ill be up in the movies like :hide:

And a new CHUCKY movie come out Oct 8 :yahoo: it’s going straight to DVD though :(

—————-
    :cosign:

And a new CHUCKY movie come out Oct 8 it’s going straight to DVD though
    ——
    That means it’s probably going to be like the last two. (bride of chucky, seed of chucky) A poor attempt at comedy. :(

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Morning yall. I read the book, so now I want to see the movie, but I’m not watching the part when he beat her down to the meat. No thanks.

FuturedocDonte says:

And a new CHUCKY movie come out Oct 8 it’s going straight to DVD though
    ——
    —-
    But it’s not… No scars or nothing it’s like part 1 and 2… Go on YouTube and lol for the curse of chucky :woot:

Donte, Well I think they shouldn’t have made it straight to dvd then, I guess it was that low budget huh? :lol: They are remaking all these other movies, must be some legal reason why they can’t release it in theaters if it wasn’t money.

RAZZLE says:

Because that era — when blacks knew our place — brings comforts to the ones distributing the awards. :coffee:

msthicndawst says: