Christian Parents Upset Kids Being Taught About Jay Z

Jay Z smoking Cuban cigar

No wonder the American school system ranks lower than schools in some third world countries. One school in Mississippi wasted three days teaching middle schoolers about the accomplishments of thug rapper Jay Z.

The children were then tested on their knowledge about Jay-Z’s “resilience” and they were instructed to memorize the lyrics to his song “Big Pimpin”.

Of all the people to exemplify as a man of success and wealth, why choose a former crack dealer who still glorifies the gangster lifestyle in his songs?

From BlackSportsOnline.com:

Sixth graders at Desoto Central Middle School spent three days learning about one of the most successful hip-hop artists and entrepreneurs in the nation. They were also tested on their knowledge about Jay-Z’s “resilience.”

“One of the songs listed on the paper that was brought home was ‘Big Pimpin’,” she told me. “Another song talked about thug life. My child was getting an education about thug life.”

She could not believe that her child was learning about a man who sings songs that degrade women and glorify the thug life.

“When he pulled out the paper in his backpack in the car, I called my husband right then,” she told me. “I was furious. We talked about it until late that night. My husband was about to blow his top.”

She said one school official even chimed in that the rapper owns a professional sports team.

“I asked him what that had to do with anything,” the parent told me. “Let’s talk about somebody that is a success that has done good things – not thug life things.”

• High school principal orders girls to stop dressing like sluts”
  • Girls Told to Ask for Lesbian Kiss in School
  • Parents Defend Daughters’ Slutty Dancing
  • Teacher posts explicit sex-ed brochures in Grade 7-8 class

111 Responses to “Christian Parents Upset Kids Being Taught About Jay Z”

felinelurker says:

Hmp…I wonder how much time spent on Dr. King, Malcolm X, Marcus Garvey, the list could go on & on

Gigi26 says:

:eek: Ahhh Mississippi has one of the worst urban public school systems :no:

And this is just utter fukkery. They bet cough that money up for private school…

But…damn. Not even a David Banner song tho? He FROM MISSISSIPPI.

Caramel Rain says:

Wow. They dont teach Black History anymore, but you can learn about Jay Z. K.

deedeegirl says:

Wow. Schools don’t even know what teachers are doing! I just spoke to my sons principal this morning about a similar topic and she had no clue what the teacher was doing. Sad!

kahmmillion says:

I would be too if my children were learning about a violent drug dealer who sold drugs to his own people and ruined numerous lives just to to come up. Congrats, Jay-Z is now a millionaire, but at what cost to the community? And, at what cost to the young man he stabbed?

felinelurker says:

:thankyou: I am sorry but I would have a problem with this :shrugs: They couldn’t find any other successful people :facepalm: reason #232 why I will not have anymore kids :tea:

<–went off one yr when they 'assumed' mine listened to x,y,z.
      =============
      AND Kenya TOLD YALL downstairs :rofl:

Shuga Honey says:

which third world countries? :popcorn:

Big Pimpin? <–inappropriate.

He is just like any other hard working American with a criminal (visible or hidden) past..Romney, Bush (all of them), Obama…

Slavery out. JayZ in. :lol: Im homeschooling. :no: *blows bangs*

gypsyeyes says:

I walked upstairs cause Harlem told me too and Phewwww EYES TI-RED! Cake is in the oven!

Caramel Rain says:

I really like that OPI San Tan-Tonio. I have to get my solar nails removed to get this tho.. :thinking:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Big Pimpin :facepalm:

MissHarlem says:

From downstairs:

GYPSY no that is always my last ingredient. I love to bake and not box chit but I noticed some boxes have pudding in the bag as well. You lucky you dont live close bc you would have to throw me out :yes:

:facepalm: SMGDH!!!!

:yawn: Brang it up here DTTS. Im too lazy to even open a tab.

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Man, I just don’t care™ says:
      So these will do what u say for a ring huh?
      ________________________________
      They struggling to get chose and they MAKING SANDWICHES. Man you giving out Applebees these hoes will die for you son :yes:

3halos says:

THIS is why home-schooling in many cases is preferable….

Teach ur own kids bytch.

Plan too. :yes: And I prefer an ! in my B!tch. #fancy

gypsyeyes says:

The kids were fighting about who gets the spoon and who gets the bowl. But when I just had them squeezing lemon juice on them chicken wangs. Lordt. CPS would cuff me on how hard I laughed when undiscovered papercuts were just discovered.

3halos says:

THIS is why home-schooling in many cases is preferable…

I swear :no: if I could afford it I would :sad:

The Master Beta :D says:

WTF kind of stupid shyt is this :no:

Shuga Honey says:

i saw a cartoon voiced by both Warren Buffet and Jay Z.

it was about success and ambition. it was pretty good. the name was secret millionaires club.

kids can be inspired by anything that they relate to. :shrugs:

Gigi26 says:

————————
      Sorry but this is truth. Even though kids in America have access to free k-12 education, in these 3rd world countries Education is a luxury. Nothing to be fukked around with. What my cousin from Africa knew at 8 and what my brother knew at 7… blew him out the water :no:

He still smart in America though :lol: The European/Asian mode of educating is top notch :yes:

@MISS TAKEN
      “Man, I just don’t care™ says:
      So these will do what u say for a ring huh?
      ________________________________

by MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba on Sep 26, 2013 at 4:16 pm
      _____

IM DOIN TOO MUCH!
      Told yall any sane woman would loce for a nigga to take her to a nice joint like the ‘Bee! :yes:

Caramel Rain says:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

welp, i tried.. maybe next time.

#failemanufacturedcrisis
      _________________________
      UM YEA…. The other person got to be in on the manufactured crisis too folk
      ***************************
      Honestly, this shyt is for kicks in giggles only. Puh, I don’t need strangers to validate my intelligence. B/c at 4:29 when I log off, and real life begins.. It doesn’t even matter :eek:

I really need to return these voicemails. Haven’t check them since Monday..

gypsyeyes says:

I don’t want my kids to be inspired by former crack dealers…that goes for Mr Harris also.Don’t categorize without the other…

Caramel Rain says:

3halos says:

THIS is why home-schooling in many cases is preferable….

Agreed.

As an education major, I must say they do encourage you to come up with methods that “your” kids will relate too.

I dont know how they dealt with the misogyny in Jay’s older music but I’m sure this is not the full story.

Kids was prolly excited. :shrug:

And Ty, I’ll be right back with your recap from downstairs :lol:

MissHarlem says:

AGAIN you as the parent it is your job to know whats going on in the school. My niece only been in school 3 weeks and the teachers, principals, security and even janitor know me. I am all IN. They wouldnt have got past a DAY teaching this if my child was in the school far less 3 days. ANNNNDD please know your history about drug dealers, bootleggers (take out your history book for that or let google be your friend), criminals etc has BUILT America. This is def bs at its finest on the teacher’s end and the school for allowing this. I love the schools that is proactive in the whole school from the cooks to the teachers. Not when someone calls to bitch.

gypsyeyes says:

:preach: I say the exact same thing

<–Doesn't Talk To Strangers says:

TY
      Recap

They Stupid :tea:

:rofl: :rofl:

@Caramel girl gone. :hahaha:

You dont even do tantrums good as @Keisha did. :koolaid: :heart:

criminals etc has BUILT America.

:shrug: Folk be forgetting.

KayCeiSoul says:

See what I mean?!?! THE FUGG!!!
      IN WHAT WORLD!?! IN WHAT TIME ZONE!!

Ok…I’m out. See y’all. :bye:

Gigi26 says:

Man fukk Macy’s for putting the damn Rihanna make up line next Thursday! Ugh. I gotta go to the damn Mac store with all the rolly polly olly fat bytches with attitude :rollseyes: Le sigh :-(

Shuga Honey says:

well they are 6th grade students. chances are they already know jayz and all of his songs by heart anyway. so using that as a teaching tool is logical to me :shrugs:

a lot of 6th graders already selling drugs their dam selves—and NO i am NOT just talking about kids in the ghetto or urban neighborhoods. they go hard in the burbs too. dont sleep.

Brownskin Cutie (Carrington's E-boo) says:

Gypsy, I’m coming to your house, Dag-nabbit!!!! Why are they teaching about Jay-z in schools? Did he do something recently that I missed? I try to keep up with what’s going on in the world.

My little piggies are dry now :bye:

MissHarlem says:

I believe you MUST teach your own kids as well. School dont stop once the bell rings. I raise mine the way I was raised. Your ass got homework from school and weekly assignments from me. I dont like homeschool but I am not against it. Mainly bc the children who are now adults that were homeschooled are major fckin weirdos :shrug:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

DTTS you messy.com.net.everything :lol:
      @ MAN: Yep you doing too much. Applebees and 3.5 INCHASS?! :shock:
      *AT&T mind blowing motion*

Gigi26 says:

@Harlem: Jay didn’t built shyt. He was a bottom feeder drug dealer. Nigga was just passing out bags, so he ain’t the one that I would care for my kid to learn about for three straight days :lol:

I feel you son though. You as a parent have to be proactive in your child’s education :yes:

gypsyeyes says:

I’m constantly in my kids school.Today one of the kids asked my daughter if I was a teacher. I sub for some when they have appts also. It’s up to ME to know what is being taught to MY kids. Teachers have a job but we as parents must enforce it. Let a nigga glorify the likes of Mr Carter or Mr Harris in a classroom. Everybody getting slapped!

felinelurker says:

@jenie, what did the letter about gov’t shutdown say? (we haven’t received anything yet)

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

B/c at 4:29 when I log off, and real life begins
      ________________________
      I bet you get off at 4:30. You stealing time :nono: They gon catch you :eek:

Caramel Rain says:

@ OTB :lol: That was a whole post ago. Im drained. It’ll be spicy next time :hahaha:

Shuga, that’s what mine’s teacher assumed also, and I had to let her know :yes: Furthermore, it made me think “bish, if you think I let my kid listen to that, then what do you think of me, what do you think of him. What aren’t you teaching because you are assuming that we all only listen to wrap :eek:

MissHarlem says:

SHUGA them kids in the burbs do it better and bigger. We only do the scraps of the drug world.

DYMOND I dont remember you saying hello :huh:

criminals etc has BUILT America.
      :shrug: Folk be forgetting.

So you mean to tell me, finding someone that has been truly successful…. in business, not an ex drug dealer goon, is that hard to find :shrugs: ….. to educate students , oh well …. lets pick Jay :nono: I call BS!!

Ty says:

The Master Beta :D says:

WTF kind of stupid shyt is this
      :cosign: He’s successful but he didn’t even finish school :rolleyes: Great role model :sarcasm: Maybe they thought that it was ok because there is a Pac course being taught on some college campus’ but he has some heat :yes: After A Rose That Grew From Concrete, I understood why :yes:

Caramel Rain says:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

B/c at 4:29 when I log off, and real life begins
      ________________________
      I bet you get off at 4:30. You stealing time They gon catch you
      *****

gul please, I’m salaried :lol:

Dymond says:

:eek: *about-face and salute* Hello Miss Harlem *curtsies* :kiss:

#TeamStoneyJackson says:

Those same Christian parents are upset the Prez is a Colored :shrugs: Cosign them all you want, theyll love to have you on their side, until its your turn. Member Sandra? The Colored couple who was bashing the gays with their White Christian church. Then the same church, didnt want to marry their Black arses :rofl: Keep on vying for ceptance from the White man, they never truly will,,,Cept when its convenient :tea: Or when you makin sandwiches :lol:

Gigi26 says:

Not even a David Banner song tho? He FROM MISSISSIPPI.

David Banner is the most intelligent rapper, period. He should be teaching school.

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

gul please, I’m salaried
      that don’t mean nothing
      they expect you to be there until 4:30
      *slaps table* and that all I am going to say about that :huh:

________

The School official dont even know their subject cause Jay was GIVEN less than 1% “ownership” of the Nets to shuck and jive for them to move to Brooklyn!

Time they moved his “ownership” was taken back! He don’t own no team!

resilience <— I think its a good thing to teach.

Are we sure it was a "look how cool this dude is" lesson? :thinking: Or maybe its a lets look at JayZ's life and where he came from, the choices he's made, the skill to parlay into a new arena.

We studied Al Capone and prohibition. We studied how JFKs father's money was dirty from it and hookers. :shrug:

MissHarlem says:

GIGI he aint built nada :nono: just felt it was important to font that America was built on everything they despise. Yes its annoying to hear complacent lazy ass parents bitch about the school but dont even know who the administration staff is at the school. THEY annoy me

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

gul please, I’m salaried
      In EJ’s Queen voice “uhhh okaaaayyyy she tried it…. everybody ain’t able” :rofl:

Shuga Honey says:

Im guessing the teacher asked the class who they look up to/relate to/want to do a project about.

….but whatever gets the crowd hype. :rolleyes:

felinelurker says:

It basically said stayed tuned for further instructions, if we are to report to work Tues or not. Monday my off day, so I will be checking my email from home ….. they need to gone ahead and get it over with though. I am tired of this shut down mess :no:

It’ll be spicy next time

:thankyou: Cause otherwise you wasting nummas. Move around. :eek:

gypsyeyes says:

The lesson should not be ‘look where they are now’ but it needs to be ‘look what these rappers did back then and can’t even vote now’

MissHarlem says:

COMMENT 58 after that there is nada mas I need to say

Shuga Honey says:

MissHarlem says:

also was referring to them listening to/buying hip hop, but yeah.

Gigi26 says:

I totally agree Harlem :yes:

Man they should have David Banner teach a class, the amount of work he is putting in for his state, that’s the VERY least they can do :no:

Dymond says:

:hi: OTB
      we can be frendz this week cuz my hogs got that bish Manziel coming this week :bite:
      but we ain’t frendz next week hoe! <– for sh*t talking purposes only :hug: :D

gypsyeyes says:

My apartment smells so good right now! Yes I’m bragging!

So you mean to tell me, finding someone that has been truly successful…. in business, not an ex drug dealer goon, is that hard to find ….. to educate students , oh well …. lets pick Jay I call BS!!

If it works for the kids youre teaching. If you know anything about the MISS. school system, :eek: Im surprised they even teach sooo…. :eek:

:lol: What is “truly successful?” Success is not one size fits all. Sheesh.

But I feel you. By any means neccessary I guess.

Ty says:

Gigi26 says:

Not even a David Banner song tho? He FROM MISSISSIPPI.

:cosign: Is his degree in English or Business :pc:

Shuga Honey says:

resilience <— I think its a good thing to teach.

Are we sure it was a "look how cool this dude is" lesson? Or maybe its a lets look at JayZ's life and where he came from, the choices he's made, the skill to parlay into a new arena.

________________________

look OTB, what you saying aint gonna help with the crisis. gone head with all that reasoning and what not!

sheesh!

Caramel Rain says:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

gul please, I’m salaried
      In EJ’s Queen voice “uhhh okaaaayyyy she tried it…. everybody ain’t
      **********

:rofl: shut you face

Smonae says:

————

:cosign: pefect ex: The Kennedys

:hahaha: :woohoo:

Ty says:

Gigi26 says:

I totally agree Harlem :yes:

:cosign: He was pulling shyt outta his own closet for Katrina victims too not just in Mississippi :trophy:

MissHarlem says:

look what these rappers did back then and can’t even vote now’

**********
      I must tip my hat off to 2chainz bc he single handedly got a lot of felons to vote this past election. Went on political shows cleaned up nice and talked about his organization. Another man who’s smarts doesnt match his music.

Caramel Rain says:

We studied Al Capone and prohibition. We studied how JFKs father’s money was dirty from it and hookers.
      ***************
      Good point.

Shuga Honey says:

________________________

:huh: not sure if serious….

convicted felons can vote upon completion of their sentence. all it takes is a letter from the state that issued the sentence and bada bing bada boom….voting rights reinstated. you have to be completely off parole, etc.

Is it possible Ed majors can see the “other” side of this type of lesson? :thinking:

Where is @carrington? @Therapist? I want their takes.

Another man who’s smarts doesnt match his music.

The stuff on the radio…yes. His other stuff tho..his stuff when he was Titty Boi.. good stuff.

I guess we can call him a sell out like Jay. :lol:

Shuga Honey says:

they should have just studied about Martha Stewart instead :tea:

because white collar crime is just that….white

gypsyeyes says:

I’m talking about a certain FOB who can’t vote. Not all felons had that taken away but this certain one has and gets glorified while others get dogged.

felinelurker says:

Thx, Jenie. Like I said, we haven’t heard anything. I guess nobody’s making a big deal bc we’ve been threatened about shutdowns before & nothing really happened

MissHarlem says:

NAE that fam has everything we hate. Drugs, sex, murders etc but YET we learn about the “glory” side :shrug: I would of got annoyed and came with a solution. You cant bitched to anyone without a solution bc you just blowing hot air. I would of said I like the idea however lets use another person such as John/Jane Doe who also had adversity etc.

:newpost: Zimmerman pulled over again

Gigi26 says:

Harlem: That’s why I look at 2Chainz as a clown. To me, you should NEVER compromise your image for the sake of a damn dollar.

If you’re educated, be damn proud of it and don’t even make that kind of music to appease ppl. You’re shytting on your intelligence.

That in itself makes you a fraud imo

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

:nite: it’s been real. Or has it been. Somebody on here fake fonting and KAY is going to tell us :eek:

BoringMale says:

——-

dude made an intelligent album with 9th Wonder and the streets didnt touch it..but if he was trapping and ****ing hoes…..

Shuga Honey says:

gypsyeyes says:

if T.I. has completed parole then he should be able to vote. iono what the problem is. :shrugs:

he may have a long ass time on parole tho because he is a repeat offender. in their eyes, he needs supervision.

MissHarlem says:

OTB I get it hun. All the things that stuck with me was when the teacher thought outside of the box (no pun intended) that would of been frowned upon. I rocks with Tity or 2 :danban: not a sell out

Caramel Rain says:

If it works for the kids youre teaching. If you know anything about the MISS. school system, Im surprised they even teach sooo….

What is “truly successful?” Success is not one size fits all. Sheesh.

But I feel you. By any means neccessary I guess.

**********

Both of you make valid arguments. The ruler to measure “success” is subjective. There is no right or wrong answer. We all can agree that Jay Z made something out of nothing. We all can agree that Jay Z had his start by selling drugs (not a kingpin but. ok) and hustling and may not be the most positive influence for impressionable kids.

I think the premise of the article is that “Christian” parents probably do not expose their kids to secular music were not aware that their kids were learning about Jay Z. Jay Z is seen as a negative connotation by some/most who are not familiar with him and how he changed his life around.

If a learning about Jay Z for a few weeks in school makes your drop out to sell drugs and hope of being the next “Jay Z” then there is a problem at your house.

gypsyeyes says:

Right @Shuga-during the elections that is what he himself said.

MissHarlem says:

GIGI I see your point HOWEVER all that falls on deaf ears to me bc its entertainment. Now if you wasnt in that field then yes to me fraud. Entertainers about 80% are all fraud in their own right :yes:

gypsyeyes says:

But have yall seen David Banners short web series’ on youtube. This dude uber talented.

Carrington says:

I look at Jay Z no different than I look at Denzel Washington. He has a past. (we all do) As an artist, he creates by giving you a “visual” for that which he creates. If Denzel can play a drug addicted, rogue cop and step off set and become a husband, father, and millionaire philanthropist, why can’t Jay Z paint a picture with his music, step out of the booth, off the stage and become a successful businessman, husband, and father?

I get a lot of things from Jay Z in 2013, but “thug” is no longer one of them. Why can’t his accomplishments from a past not unlike many children who probably learned about him be a valuable lesson learned in that they too can be a success despite their surroundings, socialization and beginnings?

Now, at the end of the day – do I want my child going to school learning from the book of “99 B*tches?” absolutely not. But today, more children keep up with Jay Z albums and admire his successes as one of the wealthiest black men to not only transition from the thug life and do it LEGALLY, but he married one of the most successful women in the entertainment industry and became one of the most successful and wealthiest COUPLES to get it in?

I’m certainly understanding why parents don’t want their children learning about rappers, but as it stands today – but I’m also on the cusp of offense that we regard successful black folk as thugs when it’s clear that they’ve moved in a different direction.

THEY do enough of trying to make even the educated blacks into thugs based upon their style of dress and the number of bops in their walk.

Can we not?

Carrington says:

FYI: Malcolm X was a thug amongst thugs. Sold drugs and pimped women.

He transitioned that past into something positive.

Why isn’t Jay Z allowed to do the same?

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

FYI: Malcolm X was a thug amongst thugs. Sold drugs and pimped women.
      He transitioned that past into something positive.
      Why isn’t Jay Z allowed to do the same?
      by Carrington on Sep 26, 2013 at 4:57 pm
      —————-
      Logs back in to slap Carrington on the back and shout SPEAK! PREACH FONTERMAN
      *holds up church finger and walks to the front of the blog and lays a rush black card at the pulpit*
      :bye: :nun: :kona:

Carrington :thankyou: DEar. Much :heart:

Well I was about to type a long paragraph as a seasoned Educator. However, Carrington summed it all up.

Unless you know where this teacher is going with his lesson, please reserve your criticism of this lesson.

We allow our kids to read about Christopher Columbus ( a thief), Adolf Hitler (murderer) and many other people with a crooked past.

Atypical says:

Big Pimpin isn’t am appropriate song to play for a middle schooler(hope he/she at least got the edited version) but I digress? Why isnt Jay Z story a successs story? He sold drugs 20 years ago????? I’m not the same person I was when I was 8, it could be totally possible that he’s changed.. People do change..And as far as the whole education thing goes a degree isn’t the end all be all for EVERYONE..Ever notice some of the worlds richest folks don’t even have degrees. Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates are ALL college dropouts.

Atypical says:

Why isnt Jay Z story a successs story? He sold drugs 20 years ago?????

Because he hasn’t changed. He is still a thug in a pinstripe suit. He’s just selling derogatory, drug-glorifying rhymes instead of crack.

felinelurker says:

@carrington, true Malcolm was corrupt at first but he evolved into a man that attempted to make things better for our people. Jay Z????
      Anyway, I didn’t necessarily say this was a bad lesson. I can see how it would be positive. But 3 days? Really? I was curious how much time was spent on role models that made a positive impact.

prima_donna2163 says:

Sooooooo did we forget MLK was a womanizer and Malcom X a former pimp and number runner? Or many of the other black heroes that weren’t exactly perfect…Some schools give teachers the creative freedom to create their own lesson plans and not just follow the mold of teaching to the test. Yes let’s talk about resilience! The Bootstrap Theory! Coming from the oh so PRESTIGIOUS HBCU of Lincoln University, I have seen many of lessons that reach our students by touching on current topics and trends. My point is kids are changing, and so must our approach to education.

AllNYC says:

My husband’s family is from Mississippi and from meeting them, I am not surprised. The smartest thing my MIL has done in her life was marrying a guy from Texas and moving there when DH was 7.

@prima_donna – this isn’t an innovative approach to education. If they want to talk about contemporary success stories, there are plenty. We will never find any perfect subject, but I refuse to see how memorizing Big Pimpin will help children. This teacher did not “touch” on a current topic. She stayed on this topic for 3 days. Did Michelle Obama or Oprah Winfrey or Berry Gordy get 3 days?