Protesters Picket Chuck E. Cheese

Protesters Picket Chuck E Cheese

The NCAAP organized a rally to protest a local restaurant on Saturday after a father claimed his 9-year-old special needs daughter was mistreated by employees there.

About 50 protesters picketed outside the Chuck E. Cheese restaurant located on Cumberland Boulevard in Smyrna. The protesters included parents from a special needs parents group and civil rights activists.

Mark Eschoe said he took his daughter, Marley, to Chuck E. Cheese to attend a children’s birthday party back in May. Eschoe said his daughter had just gotten out of the hospital after suffering two strokes caused by brain aneurysms. The strokes left the child with minor brain damage but she can walk with minimal assistance.

“We were there for about 20 minutes when she finally said, ‘Hey Daddy, I have to go to the bathroom,’” Eschoe told Channel 2 Action News.

Protesters Picket Chuck E Cheese

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Eschoe said the men’s room was full, but a waitress suggested he take her to the ladies room which was empty at the time.

But as he approached the ladies room with Marley, a manager stepped in, became agitated and said, “No.”

Negotiations between the father and the manager broke down quickly.

“She just went, ‘You know what? I’m done. I’m not going to inconvenience my patrons. I don’t care if she’s special needs. I’m not going to treat her any differently,’” Eschoe said.

Eschoe complained that the restaurant violated the American’s with Disabilities Act by not providing an alternative for his daughter.

A spokesman from Chuck E. Cheese corporate office in Texas told Channel 2 the women’s restroom was occupied and employees were working on an alternative solution.

Chuck E. Cheese tried to reach out to Marley’s parents but were unsuccessful (Marley’s mother did not attend the party).

Of course, the Eschoes are considering taking legal action. Once again entitlement rears it’s ugly head in a situation that could have been easily resolved by using common sense.

No woman wants to encounter a grown man in a public restroom. Furthermore, a man entering a ladies room with a 9-year-old girl is simply inappropriate.

Mr. Eschoe could have simply asked one of the females in his party to escort the child into the restroom.

Instead of the media blaming the entitled parent for overreacting, the blame is placed on the establishment for trying to protect their female patrons.

This is what happens when the media promotes entitlement as the norm instead of promoting common sense and common courtesy.

72 Responses to “Protesters Picket Chuck E. Cheese”

Brownskin Cutie (Carrington's E-boo) says:

:tape:

He shoulda went in the Men’s room and told the dudes to leave.

Any dude would have left. Dudes dont be all up in the bathroom like ladies.

Smonae says:

:wtf: I understand this was a special sitiation, but did the dad really want them to force women out of the restroom. And to take the child to the mens restroom doesnt seem right either :think:

Awwh Poor child to have had to deal with such horrid health issues at such a Young age.

WHAT do you Mean Sandrita!!
    The Father should sue and Not because it could all have been avoided but because chuck e cheese SHOULD have an alternative accommodation to disabled individuals In GENERAL!
    cut it SandriTa, If it wer another race you would say Chuck e cheese is in violation.
    Just stop

A.J. says:

Sounds like they both should have stayed home to me if the mother was not available to attend the party. :shrug:

The more I think about it, Dad seem like a bytch.

WUT U GONE DO WITH THAT LIL THANG?!! :rofl: says:

Most parents with special needs children, do not trust others to handle their children appropriately. If the little girl had to do number 2, and can’t properly wipe herself due to the strokes, would you have taken that child who is not yours into the bathroom, waited till she was done and wiped her until she was clean? :waiting: While there are some people that are caring enough to do this, most are not. Get real. Most places now a days have what’s called Family bathrooms where anybody can take a child to use the bathroom without bothering others.

MsB2u says:

SMONAE,LUVN,AJ
    :waves:

Jdore says:

~~~~~~~~~~~
    I was thinking this from the start. The child is 9 yrs old. Why would he bring her to the men’s restroom???

:wave:
    MsB2u
    WUT
    man
    smonea
    BROWN

So because the child has special needs that by LAW should be accommodated and are not at that Establishment, she should have JUST stayed home.
    right that’s the Answer!

WUT U GONE DO WITH THAT LIL THANG?!! :rofl: says:

He Luvin :hug:

Brownskin Cutie (Carrington's E-boo) says:

Hey Luvn :hi:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

————
    I barley like to change my kids’ diapers so um yea. I am sure in a boo boo crisis I would try to help but then I would not want to go back in and eat :pizza:
    I would need some bleach to feel clean

Man
    AJ
    WUT
    Jdore

Shuga Honey says:

A.J. says:

:stop: sorry but NO. NOT.AT.ALL.

life is short, childhood is even shorter. and for a sickly child its good to let them enjoy things like bday parties while they can.

my friend just buried her 4 year old last week. she had a party for him maybe 2 weeks prior. imagine if somebody had told her to just stay home?

this situation just seems like everybody was being extra. i really dont know why any of them grown ass ppl involved couldnt accomodate each other. a lawsuit takes time and energy away that they could be spending with the little girl.

FuturedocDonte says:

——
    I reading this entire post scratching my head wondering above :coffee:

Caramel Rain says:

IDC about this. It’s a slippery slope. The father should have had female family member there to help him. She will have to deal with this the rest of her life so her parents needs to prepare for this to happen different locations.

Let’s be real, a grown man in the ladies restroom with little girls? That would open another can worm. I understand the situation, but he should have had someone there to help her go to the restroom

WUT U GONE DO WITH THAT LIL THANG?!! :rofl: says:

Jdore says:

~~~~~~~~~~~
    ——————————
    You are thinking as if the child don’t need assistance other than taking her to the restroom. She probably needs help sitting on the toilet, maybe balancing, and because of the stroke wiping her. Most special need parents don’t want to inconvenience others with this. That’s why there needs to be a separate bathroom. Most places now a days do have whats called a Family Restroom where any of the parents can take a child to use the restroom. I don’t understand why a facility that caters to children doesn’t have one…

3halos says:

Sounds like they should have stayed at home and blew up some balloons in the backyard with some cake and pizza and called it a day.

WUT U GONE DO WITH THAT LIL THANG?!! :rofl: says:

HEY SMONAE :hug:

Shuga Honey says:

WUT U GONE DO WITH THAT LIL THANG?!! :rofl: says:

Most parents with special needs children, do not trust others to handle their children appropriately. If the little girl had to do number 2, and can’t properly wipe herself due to the strokes, would you have taken that child who is not yours into the bathroom, waited till she was done and wiped her until she was clean? While there are some people that are caring enough to do this, most are not. Get real. Most places now a days have what’s called Family bathrooms where anybody can take a child to use the bathroom without bothering others.

:cosign: with alla dis

since when do chuck e cheese workers care about protocol anyway? seems like anything goes at the one out here.

Caramel Rain says:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

————
    I would need some bleach to feel clean

***************

I know you carry a ziplock bag full of Purex in your purse :tea:

Smonae says:

This situation is a little different, b/c most establishments can accomodate special needs ex: handicap stalls, but they’re not prepared for cases like the 1 above :shrugs:

Brownskin Cutie (Carrington's E-boo) says:

Smonae :hi:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

I know you carry a ziplock bag full of Purex in your purse
    by Caramel Rain on Sep 30, 2013 at 10:10 am
    ————————–
    Splash less…… Lavender or linen scented :tea:

A.J. says:

right that’s the Answer!
    I feel if the mother was not going to be present to assist her special needs daughter after recently just being released from having two strokes the whole family should have stayed home.

While I do agree everyone family establishment should have reasonable accommodations for special needs. Most don’t and that’s unfortunate. It’s ultimately up to the parents to check out accommodations beforehand and being prepared.

Shuga Honey says:

are women really that terrified of a man going into the bathroom with his daughter?

i think thats real issue. do we really see a man with a handicapped child and think “oh noes, everybody bout to get raped!”

Diva says:

:wave: morning Roses! Happy Moanday!

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

by Shuga Honey on Sep 30, 2013 at 10:14 am
    ————
    I think some are :yes:
    In all seriousness I would have taken the little girl inside. I have before. Not special needs but little girls in general

Shuga Honey says:

are those picket signs blurry or do i have the cataracts?

bout to catch a seizure my dam self! :bounce:

Jdore says:

:hug: Smonae and Diva

Caramel Rain says:

Anybody see Baggage Claim? Was it good or I can wait til it hits Red Box? Im making my itinerary for my birfday weekend.! I cannot wait to see R. Kelly and Tamar this weekend @ Bayfest :yahoo:

~
    ~
    AJ I 100% agree with that. I thought the same thing as well. but from a Parent POV, he probably didnt give that a thought
    Im sure his onlY concern was at that time to give his baby a little joy after all she’s been thru :|

ShugaHoney :lol: Ur so Krazee

Caramel Rain says:

Shuga Honey says:

*************

Yes. Especially when it’s happened to you. Everybody is a suspect b/c you never know when/if it’s going to happen again. All this stuff going on in the world, you have to be careful. We dont know that man. He could be registered.. Too many what ifs to take that chance.

WUT U GONE DO WITH THAT LIL THANG?!! :rofl: says:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

————
    I would need some bleach to feel clean
    ————————
    Most people would. Let be honest. If it is not your kid, you would not have the stomach to sit and wait and possible smell what a 9 year old is putting out and then have to wipe her and go back in to a slice of pizza. Her father knew this and tried not to inconvenience others with it. If it was a baby most don’t mind. But a child this size…nope..

Smonae says:

Real talk

If Im in the restroom with my 4 yr old baby and a man walks in the restroom with his kid, hell yea Im gonna be looking at him cross eyed until someone tells me wth is going on or I fugure out the sitiation :shrugs:

Once I know whats going on I would be more understanding, but just walking up in there :no:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

by Caramel Rain on Sep 30, 2013 at 10:17 am
    ————
    :hater: I wanna go. My husband loves Kellz and I like Tamar. Are they touring? I need a Nov-Dec bday gift for him

KayCeiSoul says:

So let me get this straight – this had NOTHING to do with her disability, but EVERYTHING to do with the fact that the Dad couldn’t go in the ladies room with his daughter – right?

Because I am sure Chuck E. Cheese’s has stalls in the women’s bathroom for handicapped children/people – those are the larger stalls.

This could have been worked out. The manager could have held the patrons from entering for the very short time it would have taken for the child to use the bathroom OR, an even more reasonable option, a FEMALE at the party could have taken her to the bathroom.

This is making something out of nothing. Can’t see where she was discriminated against. :shrug:

felinelurker says:

:waves: mornin roses!
    Caramel, I saw it & out was pretty funny. A big cast kinda like think like a man. Story line was similar to some other movie w/ yt :shrug:

Much ado about nothing.
    He grown man. Take YOUR baby into the men’s room and there u go.

Why even force ur way into the women’s when u a grown azz man?

Somethin wrong with this dude.

Diva says:

Shuga Honey says:

are those picket signs blurry or do i have the cataracts?

bout to catch a seizure my dam self! :bounce:
    ———————-
    I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me too!

Caramel Rain says:

********

This is what gets me. There was no female cousin? Aunt? Grandma? Niece? nobody that could have taken her to the restroom? They were there to celebrater her leaving the hospital, so I’m sure SOMEBODY there could have taken the little girl to go pee pee.

Buttercup says:

I cringe when my son asks to go to Chuck E Cheese. I know it’s a place where a kid can be a kid™, but I despise the chaos.

Smonae says:

Morning :waves:
    Diva
    Caremel
    Shuga
    Feline
    Kay
    Taken
    Doc
    Halo
    Buttercup

Shuga Honey says:

im guessing he would hold the door open and announce himself first or the manager could have waited til everyone was out BUT seeing as how this whole situation got out of control I think all the adults were being ridiculous.

sounds like one of those “im the manager” power control scenarios.

they should have all done whatever it took to avoid stressing the little girl out. not sure why the NAACP is involved instead of the ACLU. this is not a race issue.

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

From Downstairs:
    @Kenya I keep laughing at my gravi too. :)
    @Taken Ugh chile yes. But I am leaving early. I was about to not show up, but I came in anyway

:newpost: Gov’t shutdown is inevitable

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

——-
    I hate the wya the place smells, all the germs, and the nasty food. My kid loves that place. Yuck!

Caramel Rain says:

My readers are apparently comfortable with that. :coffee:

Smonae says:

I saw Baggage Claim, it was a cute romantic comedy :yes: but I couldve waited for this one on dvd.

Shuga Honey says:

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

Much ado about nothing.
    He grown man. Take YOUR baby into the men’s room and there u go.

Why even force ur way into the women’s when u a grown azz man?

Somethin wrong with this dude.
    _______________________________

:lol: yeah something wrong with this whole story

you know Applebees on Groupon today, right? $15 for $30. betta get up on it

them chicks at the halfway house bout to be eating good when they get out on their day passes! :pizza:

Caramel Rain says:

Exactly. Doesn’t he have sisters, aunts, female friends who could have accompanied him to the party? He should have anticipated this would happen.

felinelurker says:

:yes: smonae

Caramel Rain says:

Nah, it’s like a big music concert we have every year. Jill Scott, Anthing Hamilton, Tamia and such will be here. And the tix are only 60.00

You in SC right? Kellz will be at the North Charleston Coliseum on 10/12/13! I think Ashanti is the opening act

KayCeiSoul says:

Buttercup says:

September 30, 2013 at 10:26 am

*************************************\

I don’t plan on fooling with Chuck E. Cheese. Those days are over. There are too many alternatives now… Java Jungle, Zap Zone, etc.
    Somebody STAY getting their azz whooped in Chuck E. Cheese here.
    Whole families be going at it, the mouse be hauling azz, the band stops playing (and they are PUPPETS mind you!) Hayle naw.

My Q is WAAAYYY to precious for all that tomfoolery. :coffee:

When you have a special needs child you call ahead to make sure the facility can accommodate her. That’s why she’s called “special needs”. Everything should have been worked out ahead of time.

Sandra if you attended the party would YOU HAVE TAKEN the little girl to the potty. I don’t see how it is at all unreasonable to close the restroom for 5
    Mins . They do it all the time for cleaning. I don’t like wiping others kids noses I will quickly hand them off to a parent to get all clean and the. Go back to playing with a baby in a heart beat. A 9 year kid is no different. I would have preferred they worked it out cause I ain’t wiping no butts. That’s why I am adopting I ain’t got no time for that!

A.J. says:

:applause: We are living in a very entitled society. Everyone has expectations and unreasonable demands that they want met ASAP — or they will go to the media or sue. Common sense would have told the parents to call ahead to make sure the restaurant had special needs accommodations. I bet he knows now. :coffee:

Caramel Rain says:

Anybody see Baggage Claim?

I saw it this weekend. Trey Songz can’t act to save his life. The movie was dull and lifeless. I just went for the eye candy Paula Patton. :coffee:

Shuga Honey says:

but if a surprise comes up its up to the manager (and any other adult) to make accomodations and use common sense. according to the story, all of them were at fault.

Buttercup says:

:hi: Smonae

I always end up giving little kids tokens because their parents are too busy eating pizza and drinking Miller Light. The next thing I know, I have a crew of 7 kids. Not cool :nono:

TheRealAshland says:

I sure would have — if I knew what was happening. Apparently this man didn’t even request assistance. He happily barged his way into the ladies room, which makes me wonder if he had an ulterior motive. :thinking: any REAL man would have cringed at the thought of entering a LADIES room. :coffee:

TheRealAshland says:

I don’t see how it is at all unreasonable to close the restroom for 5 Mins .

You’re at a party where sugary drinks and sugary foodstuff are being consumed and you don’t see a problem with making women wait for 5 or more minutes? That 5 minute wait is like an hour to a woman who has to relieve her bladder. Special needs children are not on a timer. If the child has a neurogenic bladder she may require a little longer than 5 minutes to get a stream going. The comments in this post are very interesting. :coffee:

r2dmax says:

______________________________________________

Aunti, I have to say I actually agree with you. People spend so much time “exercising their rights” that they fail to use common sense.

Lady_Elle says:

This is PURE B.S.

I see Caucasian women bring boys clearly old enough to go by themselves into the women’s room.

So… with a special needs child why was the father given grief?

I am willing to bet that if the father were of a different color this would not have been an issue.

She is special needs… she needs some assistance.

If she can’t wipe herself… AT LEAST ONE PARENT WAS THERE TO DO IT.

Why not allow him time by emptying the bathroom for a few moments?

Sandra… this is a right to use the restroom. Nothing more!

Now it can become a ADA problem (federal)!

bk2atl says:

You know, I haven’t used my log in to comment in YEARS – but I personally know Eschoe (the dad) and have for years. There was no ulterior motive (shame on you Sandra). This was simply a man who took his daughter to a party. His daughter who has suffered so much in her short life. She has Lupus and had recently had a stroke. He is happily married, but his wife was not available to go with him and Marley to the party. It really was a managers call as to how to handle this situation, but these days there is a lack of empathy for anyone other that one’s self – you can’t give everybody a name badge because they let that little “power” go to their heads. I don’t know what’s more disturbing, the actual event or the comments posted here. SMH

Afiya says:

I have a handicap daughter and she’s not allowed to go to public bathrooms, she wears disposibles and we make sure she has done her business before she leave home

:no: not feeling this story

BoringMale says:

Whats the big deal? I woulda just took her to the mens room got in a stall cleaned it and let her do her thing while I stand guard. It aint like she can take over more than one stall…these ninjas…..

BoringMale says:

———–

Why ole boy didnt her to the mens room?? Hell if it was my kid and she gotta go, Ima let her go, who gonna physically stop dude from letting his child go to the restroom some female manager?? Naw thats not physically possible unless she some big butch lesbo who look like a Dream center, I dont see how anyone could stop him from doing what he wanted.

bk2atl says:

@BoringMale – either way ONE of them would have been in the “wrong” restroom – her in a men’s room or him in the ladies room. In the men’s room the urinals are out in the open, correct, so hypothetically he could have walked in on a man at a urinal and that would have been better? So you think it would have been more appropriate for him to strong arm and physically confront a female manager which would have resulted in him getting arrested? (These are rhetorical questions)

GottaBigOne says:

YOU KNOW . . . Pick Your Battles!

Black People Kill me ALL The TIME!

It’s amazing to me how we can picket something like this BUT DO NOT Boycott an establishment that sells substandard and/or old expired food in our communities whether it’s a Supermarket; a Bodega; a restaurant etc!
    We sure know when to muster our energies for something like the Chuck E. Cheese which by the way has become synonymous with complete Wretchedness (Ratchedness) when we as a people start Brawling with each other in said restaurant – - in front of our kids!!!

SMDH!!!