Janelle Monáe Covers UPTOWN Magazine

Janelle Monae covers UPTOWN magazine

The beautiful and enchanting Janelle Monáe covers the October/November 2013 issue of UPTOWN magazine.

In the cover story titled, “Janelle Monáe’s Secret Agenda,” written by UPTOWN Editor-in-Chief Isoul Harris, Janelle opens up about everything from her intergalactic and underwater meetings with Prince and Erykah Badu to whom Diddy slaps when they threaten to interfere with Janelle’s rhythm. There’s a lot we still don’t know about the very private Ms. Monae.

Janelle Monae covers UPTOWN magazine

On Paris:
“I love it here. Parisians are so warm, welcoming and dangerous. I feel like a beetle that is carefully held and protected in Paris. They are so fun and free and crazy. Plus, Claude Monet actually stole my name and put an ‘e’ and a ‘t’ on it, which stands for ‘extra terrestrial.’ There are a lot of weird things going on over here in Paris, but I can dig it.”

On her record sales:
“When you release your first album, record sales are important. But now, I don’t really care. I feel like this music is from God and I am the pastor that does not need a mega-church. I am fine with my 200-seat church, as long as the people that need it come and get inspired. I know what I could do to be amongst the popular crowd.”

On the biggest misconception about her:
“People think I am so straitlaced and buttoned up. There is a lot of life underneath this tuxedo. I like to have fun. I enjoy practical jokes. I enjoy rolling around the mall in wheelchairs. I enjoy taking someone’s baby and putting it on my hip for about two hours straight and then giving it back.”

On her complicated lyrics:
“I realized that I was over-complicating things at one point. I told myself, ‘You don’t have to do that.’ I was getting the sense that I was talking over people’s heads. Just like Erykah Badu sings, ‘What good do your words do/If they can’t understand you?'”

On meeting Erykah Badu:
“We met underwater. She was the Queen of the Water and I was swimming. We would perform and talk about what kind of popcorn and hotdogs we like.”

On Diddy’s role in her career:
“He is the ambassador and protector of the jam. He makes sure that our ideas get out into the world. He is not involved creatively. He is the spokesperson for corporations when it’s time to talk business. When we don’t want to have conversations with suits, he goes in and slaps people for us. He is our highest professional slapper. He slaps anyone that tries to mess up the jam.”

READ the full interview.

UPTOWN magazine is on newsstands now!

Source: Annika Harris
Online Associate Editor | UPTOWN Magazine

Photos by: Marc Baptiste

103 Responses to “Janelle Monáe Covers UPTOWN Magazine”

Ty says:

:cosign: Jenie and her album is nice

Wow….She is sexy….Not sexier than GA, but she is sexy.

she is sexy to me. I would plow her.

Ty says:

:trophy: That’s right don’t sell out and/or compromise yourself hun

She prolly do a lot of weird chit phuckin tho. :think:

I knew she was a lesbian. The hidden message in her Erykah Badu “meeting underwater” story was pure genius. I love her play with words. :yes:

@JASON
    “I called it first @ Man, yeen over Kim yet, so how you gonna come try to snatch my new snacks like a modern day Debo?”
    ________________________

:heartbroken: <<thinks about Kim again…

Smonae says:

Cute :claps: and she has my middle name :thumbsup:

She prolly do a lot of weird chit phuckin tho.

:dead:

she’s always been beautiful :love:

@SANDRA ROSE
    “I knew she was a lesbian.

:clap: <<<sarcastic azz slow clap

We all knew that Sandra! :rofl:

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

She prolly do a lot of weird chit phuckin tho. :think:

I bet she could teach you a few things. :yes:

VicKaLiCious says:

Janelle is just bland as hell…all this contrived differentness. I don’t buy it. Some people pull off different convincingly. She and Solange both appear to be trying too hard to be different.

Miany says:

Blackswan says:
    Have y’all ever been sleep but wake? Like sometimes I’m sleep/wake and I feel like something is choking me but I can’t say nothing no matter how hard I think I’m yelling my granddaddy told me a haint was on me…..
    ^^ they call it a sleep paralysis…Used to happen to me all the time as a kid (folk & doctors used to look at me like I was crazy when i tried to get help)… It happens less frequently as an adult.. I just breathe through n try to wait it out. I guess I believe it could be an evil spirit….fa dayum sho even before I understood energy, I’ve always known it was negative energy :tea:

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

@JASON
    ________________________
    :heartbroken: <<thinks about Kim again…

Why :huh: that marriage want last long …. there's still hope :thumbsup:

Smonae says:

U think so Vick, I think its just them :shrugs:

@SANDRA
    “She prolly do a lot of weird chit phuckin tho.

I bet she could teach you a few things.

You think so? :think:

Wait… I think I know everything that need to be learned Sandra!
    I ain’t fallin for the bananna in the tailpipe! :nono:

Miany says:

Ty says:
    That’s right don’t sell out and/or compromise yourself hun
    ^^^ sounds pretty different to me… Until I see Ms. Monae skin bleaching, twerking, puzzy poppin on a handstand I’m inclined to believe she’s a lil diff…
    sooooo yall should go listen to her “special education” with goodie mob :love: the lil video too.

Smonae says:

Mainy stop it please and thanks :hahaha:
    Leave that down them stairs, ole hanks (as granny say) ghost, demons & everything else not of the living

:scared:

Blackswan says:

Love her style

GellySammich says:

Really? I always thought Solange fit her clothes perfectly. I actually don’t like when Bey goes in her closet. :shrug:
    And what’s so… out-of-the-way-to-be-different about an updo and some black slacks?

Miany says:

@SMONAE :hug: it’s ok… I’m done with it…This post is more bout how sessy or not sessy folk find Janelle to be.
    I vote :hump: If I had a pecker I’d hit (then again if I had a pecker I’d hit 85% of chicks just cuz I’d have MALE Priviledge. :lol:

Blackswan says:

@smonae
    Lol

Miany

:hug:

hey suga! i’ve believed it to be an evil presence/demon. once i fell off the couch i was sleeping on & came face to face with glowing green eyes. whatever it was behind those eyes wanted me dead. the power of Christ compelled it! :nun:

Ty says:

is that all u got from the album Auntie :rofl:

Im just surprised that she is affiliated with Diddy and he is not yelling Bad Boy throughout her music, stealing writing credits, or trying to remix something :coffee:

GellySammich says:

Have y’all ever been sleep but wake?
    Happened to me once when I fell asleep in study hall. The bell rang and I opened my eyes but couldn’t move or talk. Didn’t seem scary though. Just weird.

Blackswan says:

Thanks miany

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

<<<sarcastic azz slow clap
    We all knew that Sandra!
    by Man, I just don't care™ on Oct 22, 2013 at 4:27 pm
    ———-
    :ghost: :lol:
    She ain't no bulldagger tho
    No :bball: for her

GellySammich says:

came face to face with glowing green eyes
    :eek: ok mine was definitely sleep paralysis… YOU got somethin else :no:

So… say whet nah?

You know she is not all that different outside of the hood and burbs. :eek:

I believe in spirits and demons and all of that. I’ve had my own “experiences” I must admit.

felinelurker says:

Miany says:

Blackswan says:
    ———————————————————————

My family has this conversation often. Trying to find explanations. Like poor blood circulation, too much sodium, etc. I’ve only had it happen 2x but my moms has them often!

:facepalm:

Nae-Nae not with the BS aint it? :rofl: :hug:

a boogity boogity boo! :scared:

LOL

felinelurker says:

GellySammich says:

came face to face with glowing green eyes
    ok mine was definitely sleep paralysis… YOU got somethin else
    ———————————————————————–

Blackswan says:

He left Carl Thomas alone for his first cd too. :heart: Whatever happened to him??

I actually don’t like when Bey goes in her closet.
    ________

Tried. Cant let it go. Name an outfit. :waiting:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

So references of underwater are down low codes? :shock: why I never!
    I guess when ole girl with the ‘stache asked me to go swimming that one day if is showed up that was a date :ghost:

_____

You gotta believe in the reverse if you believe in the Lord and angels. :shrug:

Faith is faith is faith.

Janelle needs not feed the box to another box. She needs to let Jason Waterfalls in her life.

ok mine was definitely sleep paralysis… YOU got somethin else :no:

chit was scarey AF i’m tryna tell ya guhl! :nun:

but once i called on Jesus, it to retreat! #truestory

Ty says:

:cry: I :love: Carl Thomas but Diddy screwed him up so bad I think he is strung out now. He cant even sign with another label because of his bogus BB contract.

Diddy Pebbles Carl Thomas :kona:

felinelurker says:

(from downstairs) Fayla&BrendenSittinInATreeW-H-I-P-P-I-N-GWhipfinity :whip: says:

Feline

why u scared love?
    ———————————————————————
    of the “subliminal msg that we MAY or May not be sending our children

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Okay I missed a few posts… Who is Jason Waterfalls? :lol:

Ty says:

Jason Waterfalls says:

GellySammich says:

lol :hug: Ion take pics of her outfits. I really just mean like her circle glasses (that I despise) and some of her more colorful outfits that she has tried… not literally in her sister’s closet. Even if the outfit is cute, sometimes it just doesn’t seem to be for HER is all. But that’s just me tryna squeeze her into the box I want her in :shrug:

Boys playing “slap cam”. Dean talks “at” me about it for eleven minutes. Ends with he will be in detention tomm. And you needed to call me for that? :| :smack:

#homeschoolFTW :pray:

Smonae says:

Fay u just dont understand :rofl:

GellySammich says:

why she can’t do both like erbody else? :kona:

Smonae says:

But I love True Blood & Vampires :hahaha: crazy I kno

I’ve been frozen in my sleep before too….not too long ago I had a dream/nightmare that I was being chased by demons in military uniforms, who eventually caught me and shot me up, but I didn’t die until they delivered me to their demon leader who in turn devoured my soul…..that was on a Saturday…I was in the 2nd row in church bright and early the next morning.

of the “subliminal msg that we MAY or May not be sending our children

go deeper guhl. i’s well versed in nati :rules:

:rofl: atcho ass gettin to church bur DAMN SON! that’s a helluva dream! i’ve never died in a dream :no:

See.Sea.H.Pound.Her...Pound Her Ass Good. Bang!Bang!Bang! :sheep: says:

Hi Jen :hi: She is pretty. Huge Obama supporter, so she also has the brains too :yes: she bores me though :yawn: Dancing around on stage in seizure like movements is only entertaining once. Just like the fashion. I get it, but :yawn:

But that’s just me tryna squeeze her into the box I want her in

:grill: This is why I fancy you. :hug: Lennon shades..perfect example..plus that Boy George hat she fukking lovesssss. :shank: Theyre her tho, I think. Beyonce is more authentic to herself in her older yrs imo. I think the other image was forced. She’s a hardworker. She doofy. A bit lame. And nice. Thats it. No magic.

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

So I just picked up the kids from the sitter. TakenBaby messed up his clothes and his spare clothes weren’t in the bag. She put on TakenToddler’s PANK onsie on him :facepalm:
    First of all yes they the same size … Second it’s PANK and I gotta go pick up Taken8 from after school. Luckily I have a jacket to put on him. But I have to change him before the hubby gets home
    He will :cell: that old lady and cuss her out FL style. He would be like let my son go naked fo you out pank on him. He already looks all pretty in the face

to be fuggin ANNOYING! u know i was POSED to home school our son, but chit aint work out that way :rollseyes: #stillsaltyboutthat

But I love True Blood & Vampires crazy I kno
    ________

Nae. :hahaha: As long as you know. :eek: Thats the first step. :lol:

@ Fay, it was so so real. I was sitting up in the bed clutching sheets like I’d been abused….I ain’t go back to sleep for 2 days…..swear

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Hey Chan :hi:

to be fuggin ANNOYING! u know i was POSED to home school our son, but chit aint work out that way #stillsaltyboutthat
    _________

Fay I’m a phone call away from quitting. :facepalm:

These ppl ..weird. They have this thing where they dont like to write the kids up..but the kids still get in trouble? He tried to explain it to me saying the referrals were permanent record.

I responded with, “Mine were too, Sir. :eek: Go ahead; pull them up.” Real chit. WTF. I’m just too annoyed cause these are middle schoolers and they doing middle school chit. Do your job sir. Imma do mine, but “lecturing” me cause you THINK I’m not saying whatever needs to be said will never fly.

My daughter complained about the white girls getting to wear short shorts but the dean (BLACK) make the Black girls wear “dress code” shorts. I called them bout that..you think I heard back?

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

The military and not as pretty as GA gave it away :lol:

Phrozen1der says:

She’s sexy, and un-gay.. :lol:

See.Sea.H.Pound.Her...Pound Her Ass Good. Bang!Bang!Bang! :sheep: says:

Oh, and as far as You go, I’m not speaking to you :nono: Left me down there talking to myself. That’s the last time I spill tea for you :tea: I was > < that close to telling you what popular actor did a bid in prison, quietly at that, for domestic violence :tea: Blogs never picked up on it :tea: Somebody's sources. Taint. Resourceful :tea:

@ MisTaken

Don’t tell nobody my secret. Lol

Phrozen1der says:

Ummm Sleepy Hallow spooked me two nights ago,fugg Halloween and Haunted Houses but I’m rounding up the bruhs and still going.. :lol:

Phrozen1der says:

She’s sexy, and un-gay.. :lol:

Just the way I like her

I ain’t go back to sleep for 2 days

:hahaha: :tape: Im sorry that happ’d to you. :hug:

GellySammich says:

I’m tryna decide now how long I’m keeping these babies at home. And the more they shooting up schools :eek: We finna home university out dis b-i

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

by OutsidetheBox on Oct 22, 2013 at 4:52 pm
    —————
    That’s cause the black girls got donk :buttshake:
    No but for real they have always done that. The cheerleaders with their pedophile attracting shorts :nono:

You? Or Yew? :bite:

Blackswan says:

I went to a school like that said Bc we were shaped different at least you called Bc you understand the problem. My mom was like well you don’t need it ass out anyway smh

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

@ MisTaken
    Don’t tell nobody my secret. Lol
    by Jason Waterfalls on Oct 22, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    ———-
    Okay but Fay might have already :kona:

Phrozen1der says:

@Gelly Home University tho?! :rofl:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

by Phrozen1der on Oct 22, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    —————
    Why did I just Read your name :lol:
    APhiA?

You? Or Yew? :bite:

Come over here and assume the position…..lemme grab the thick ruler for this here ass….

Brenden. :| One day you will fren me like Fay. :tea: I’m not thirsty tho. Mama always said I’m my own friend.

Miany says:

Phrozen1der says:
    She’s sexy, and un-gay..
    ^^ She’s bi-curious at the least… Q.U.E.E.N….
    :whistle: Say is it weird to like the way she wear her tights?
    And is it rude to wear my shades?
    Am I a freak because I love watching Mary?

See.Sea.H.Pound.Her...Pound Her Ass Good. Bang!Bang!Bang! :sheep: says:

As in she who wrassles farm animals :tea:

:bite: I just started!!! Suckered in cause they got them Blacks in the cast. :lol:

Phrozen1der says:

@Mis-taken :yes:

@Miany She was speaking about ummm IDK… :lol:

Night folks! :cya:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Drake “hold on were going home” came up and I turned the radio up :ashamed:

@GELLY
    why she can’t do both like erbody else?

You mean like every other female?

:think:
    I bet she be :box: her hoes too. I can sense it. Lol.

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

:nite:

I’m tryna decide now how long I’m keeping these babies at home. And the more they shooting up schools We finna home university out dis b-i

I’m tryna tell you. :no: Me and all my kiddos wearing purpa today. Girl Child round about 16 commited suicide last week. Tuhday her birfday. I heard tale of bullying. Not sure how true it is. Also heard “pregnant”. *blows bangs*

@ MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Drake “hold on were going home” came up and I turned the radio up :ashamed:

That song could have been sang by Prince, lol.

Whaaaaa. :lol: :giggles: :buttshake: Be kind…that morning glory got my share of ass and hern.

I use to have sleep paralysis. More so as a youth. That chit is scary for real. I thought I was the only one.

I usually read up on chit but never did read up on that one…

:bye: Phro.

Miany says:

:wave: bye phrozen

GellySammich says:

Listen. Mommy will put on a step show. We can march up and down the street every year for our homecoming parade. All dat. I’ll even put tiny beds in the room and make you wear shower shoes if you want.

That’s cause the black girls got donk

Right..they did it to us too. The point is they did it cause Black women are seen as sexual.. never mind. :huh: Got a feeling you know the history.

Miany says:

^^^ :heart: :rofl:

See.Sea.H.Pound.Her...Pound Her Ass Good. Bang!Bang!Bang! :sheep: says:

:newpost: Fantasia and Waka Flaka join forces on new series of Children’s books aimed at inner city youth.

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

I use to have sleep paralysis. More so as a youth.

Most of us have had sleep paralysis as youths. Something about a witch riding our backs when we sleep. :thinking:

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

I ain’t fallin for the bananna in the tailpipe!

That was too easy, Man! :rofl: