Lilly Allen Criticized for ‘Objectifying’ Black Women in ‘Racist’ Music Video

Lilly Allen

You kids know that your auntie loves buxom women who work hard for the money. So I enjoyed Lilly Allen’s new music video for her hit song “Hard Out Here (For a B*tch)”. But I may be alone in my appreciation of Allen’s video for the work of art that it is. Other black female bloggers are slamming the British pop star’s video as “racist” and “objectifying” black women.

Lilly Allen

In the video Allen sings about the unfair industry standards for women, while black, white and Asian women twerk and drop it like it’s hot behind her. The dance moves are the standard fare that you would normally see inside any strip club, or onstage at the VMAs for that matter.

It isn’t easy competing with the Beyonce’s and the Rihanna’s of the music world. Singers like Allen and Miley Cyrus have to overcompensate for what they lack in physical attributes and talent.

“It’s Hard” has already racked up 3 million views on Youtube.com, so it must not be that offensive. But, still, urban bloggers such as Cate at Batty Mamzelle aren’t impressed:

There’s a lot that rubs me the wrong way, most specifically her use of black women as props. Here is Lily Allen, a white (presumably feminist) woman, making a statement about her autonomy, sexual agency and self worth, while mocking the very same in black women. The lyrics of the song are all about rejecting objectification and yet, here she is, objectifying women of colour. It’s not lost on me that throughout the video, Allen and her two white dancers are wearing far more clothing than all of the black women who are present. … Lily croons on about how much better she is than all that because she’s above the need to sexualize herself. We get close up shots of jiggling asses and black women licking money all while Lily is fully clothed, professing her superiority. … So what does it say that she has put black women in her video in an explicitly sexual context? That she’s better than them? What does it mean when she sings “Don’t need to shake my ass for you, cause I’ve got a brain“ while surrounded by black women doing exactly that?

Watch the video below and judge for yourselves. Is Lilly Allen racist?

78 Responses to “Lilly Allen Criticized for ‘Objectifying’ Black Women in ‘Racist’ Music Video”

tintin1979 says:

Lilly ain’t objectifying black women. They objectifying themselves.

She looks like a heavy Jesse J :thinking:

——————
    :ghost:

Folks need to :stop: with the nonsense ,,,, these black women , (not all) Objectify themselves :nono:

Ladies you are beautiful, and actually the most beautiful race on the planet….. our hues and features are just beautiful…. know your worth ladies :tea:

Don’t make me go back to my Spelman days :no:

———–
    :blink: This doesn’t even make sense tho.

not to mention these dumbazz broads that signed up to dance in the video :tea: chile folks need to stop :stop: with the blame game on subjects like this

sn , I’m tired of the studio singers :tea:

LadieLeo says:

Hell it is hard out for a b*tch so I’ve been told. But what’s the difference then if they doing it in Lil Wayne video or Worldstar Hip Hop (for free). Folk need to fight a real cause not just make up idle bull jive :tea:

Morning Roses :waves:

Even though I get the concept of the video, this shyt is hardly art chile :tea:

TPtotalpackage says:

She’s got a valid point. :coffee:

LadieLeo says:

jeniefrumdabloc says:

sn , I’m tired of the studio singers

********************
    Not sure if I’ve ever heard her songs but I’m sure I don’t give enough f’s to google one. Lawd I’m just lazy!

LadieLeo says:

jeniefrumdabloc says:

sn , I’m tired of the studio singers

********************

Could she have used white women?? I won’t start. I could go up and down on this topic, but people have different mindsets when it comes to this stop. Some people blame the people that allow themselves to be objectified and some blame the (objectifer). Some people just don’t care. But hey I digress

Let me go watch the video. For educational purposes :eek:
    But seriously Lily didn’t tell them to dance in the video. I see no :shotsfired: held to their heads

A.J. says:

Lilly Allen Criticized for ‘Objectifying’ Black Women
    Only Black Men do this.

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

I just finished watching Scandal :shock: It was GOOT ya’ll. FOR REAL. Watch your DVRs. It might the BEST episode I have seen.

A.J. and Jenie :hugs: I decided to set this alleged real gravie Friday off. We will see if it comes to fruition or not. Or if we get catfished.
    <<<<This was me all bundled up for the cold weather today :cold:

Chile this chick is a lookalike :tea: hell not feeling her….. and also with this video, she could have had more nationalities in this video. … but please believe this chick knew exactly what she was doing with this…….

I agree with a lot of what the blogger said, but at the same time,
    these black women need to take some responsibility in this too. You have a choice to either participate or say no…… and guess what these chicks got right on up there and shook their azzes for a damn check…..

Pay attention people …..

LadieLeo says:

******************
    These heuxs be twerking on mailboxes and at McDonald’s hell I got a coworker that twerk on my chair and arm all for the free…….

@Jenie, that’s why I always think cite Morals. Some people are so lacking in that dept, but no one thinks so :no: They will say well they getting paid soo :shrugs: Get that money!

I don’t trust these sprites :tea: It ain’t my fault and

A.J. says:

_________
    I didn’t know we were starting this back up. I’m glad my real gravi is displayed! Now yall may not see much but it is me.

A.J. says:

I got a coworker that twerk on my chair and arm all for the free……
    :lol: I believe you too!

Hoez gotta eat :pizza: too! :shrug:
    AND I’m calling them hoez because that’s what they look like… #aintmyfault
    ION watch this ish no way
    *carries on*

San ah make ya dance says:

My parents raised me to never let money be your god!!!! Never … I like money, but the real goal for me is to live comfortable, and being able to master money (handling money) < that's my success not being rich :shrugs: I serve a different God :tea:

Have you some standards out here !

So I watched the video.
    *puts arms out like security* Nothing to see here folks.
    Looks to me like a failed attempt at a satire of sorts. Failed because the song isn’t really good :lol: As for the black ladies. Heck they were the best twerkers in the video. That’s why she used them. I guess Miley wasn’t available :shrugs: But seriously it fit the “image” she was trying to portray of sex selling right now and we know that is what the suburban people emulate. Does it make it right :no: But as someone else said you see people twerking in Wal-Mart for no change.

LadieLeo says:

******************

:ghost:

hell I got a coworker that twerk on my chair and arm all for the free…….
    LMAO!

She be all :dance: up on you while you’re trying to :pc: ?

So I watched the video.
    :stop: NOBODY CARES!!!!!

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

@A.J.: Oh…….. so I need to change my gravie is what you saying :lol: I remember SR saying it was a dismal failure the last night. I am an over achiever :trophy:

ole lily better watch her food intake yo :rofl: #sheisonecupcakeawayfromHUBBAHUBBAstatus :rofl:
    ==========
    :kiss: Jenny & MsTake

Changing my gravie right now :pc:

NOBODY CARES!!!!!
    :spank: YEW CARE!!!!!
    So I saw the lil comment you left yesterday talmbout you knew I was lurking and to not be funny. First I wasn’t lurking.. I read it this morning :lol: Second I guess you decided to lead it off because you sure wasn’t funny :blink: rofl:

LadieLeo says:

A.J. says:

I got a coworker that twerk on my chair and arm all for the free……
    I believe you too!

*********************
    I tell her to stop but she just :buttshake: anyway, all on the bookshelf, the cube…….I just let folk be who they are. I’m a teamplayer so I go with it.

JUST as I suspected….Lurking FROM YOUR MEETING! You :eek: see “everyone” listened, and then we left :shrug: #iono :rofl:

:dance: DTTS and AMEN We made it

#sheisonecupcakeawayfromHUBBAHUBBAstatus
    If you had watched the video :rolleyes: You would see she said she do not care she had 2 babies :hahaha: It’s hard out here for a BISH

libra80sbaby says:

Sitting at my desk listening to ALL of TLC’s albums… :buttshake: :headphones:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

I got a coworker that twerk on my chair and arm all for the free……
    ________________________
    But do you wipe down your chair wit bleach wipes or disinfectant after wards :eek:

#sheisonecupcakeawayfromHUBBAHUBBAstatus

:mad: Yew just taking up for her, because YALL HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON :kona:

:wail: <—Inaudible Laughter!

Pretty Brown Eyes says:

I don’t get offended by what grown ppl decide to do with their body because the way my freedom of choice is set up I know I have free choice to decide what I want to watch and don’t. As long as the women weren’t kidnapped and forced on the Amistad I assume they ok with it. If they were in a give us free situation I would be ready to sign any and all petitions that I’m sure will be circulating soon.

A.J. says:

@A.J.: Oh…….. so I need to change my gravie is what you saying
    :lol: negative, you look awesome babe!!

Morning DTTS I see you :woot:

because the way my freedom of choice is set up

:thumbsup:

A.J. says:

Sitting at my desk listening to ALL of TLC’s albums…
    Can I get “Red Light Special” please?

essenze says:

Good morning all :waves: As someone previous stated, it seems like a satire of sorts. I think I kind of get what she was doing. As far exploiting black women, those women up there do not represent me as a black woman. I hate when people are quick to say that some individuals represent a damn entire race. Do we hear about Miley degrading the entire white race? Uggh, irks my soul. Furthermore, no one forced these grown ass women to be in the video so…. they signed the dotted line and twerked for their lives, thats on them. Black, white, asian, or green, you are responsible for the way you portray yourself not an entire race.

Carol Annnnnnn :wail: I was just joshing yew :wail: Come back to the light?
    ====

MisTaken! U lOOk lovely tuhDay MaaM :kiss: On the cheek of course
    ladYLEO
    libra

IDK who lillyAlleN IS :(

Good Morning Sunshine! :grill:
    ============
    :gossip: I was gonna tell her thee same thing, but she insulted me and left #manufacturedcrisis :rofl:

A.J. says:

Luvn in dis bish!! Morning lady.

essenze says:

Morning TGIF!!!
    smurFette
    EssenZe
    AJ
    Jenie
    SANahMAKEyaDance!
    PrettyBrownEyes
    MisTaken! U lOOk lovely tuhDay MaaM On the cheek of course
    ladYLEO
    libra

IDK who lillyAlleN IS

______

Good morning to you maam. Haven’t had any of this yet :coffee:

*jacked (stmt to the media)They gonna get PAID if this is true, and they handle it properly :yes:

“No member of TLC ever slept with or had sexual contact with LA Reid as Perri falsely accused Chilli of on “The Wendy Williams Show.” In fact, Perri had falsely alleged the same thing happened with Tionne.”

I do not feel like being in this office today :no:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Happy Friday and Good Morning Roses. Anyone see the Braxtons last night?

LadieLeo says:

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

I got a coworker that twerk on my chair and arm all for the free……
    ________________________
    But do you wipe down your chair wit bleach wipes or disinfectant after wards

***************************************
    The kicker is she’s a germaphobe…..she constantly cleaning and such…I think my chair safe. Plus it don’t be nekky :buttshake: :lol:

I didn’t see it I will watch this evening :yes:

FurTherMore who gives a Fcuk what others have to SAY.
    People gonna talk and Hate for whatever U DO.
    Mofos talk about this lady and her a.s.s. shakers cause ther black.
    Mofos talk about a bishh cause they font Their instead of THERE or THEY’RE
    shuT daFcuk UP and GET A DAMN life.
    they have SO much energy to put into meaningless ,manufactured crisis,
    DO Something UseFull start a food drive, lend ur expertise in writing,speaking,grammer to tutor someone who needs it.

Chile. . .

Yew just taking up for her, because YALL HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON :kona:
    We do :whistle: have something in common :hahaha: She feel me yo..
    I was working. weren’t nobody mad. Somebody came up to my desk talking and asking for help. I was like :blink: dew yew know it’s Friday and I am on SR.
    *slams desk drawer*

A.J. says:

Anyone see the Braxtons last night?
    hand raised!

A.J. says:in dis bish!! Morning lady.
    FOR A HOT SEC, didn’t I give u some sugga up there :huh: ??

:hi:
    NakeYah

IsThisThingOn... says:

“Ladies you are beautiful, and actually the most beautiful race on the planet….. our hues and features are just beautiful…. know your worth ladies”

———————–

^^^^THIS^^^^ is key! I just had a discussion with a co-worker concerning the fact that every little thing we (the two black professional females in our suite) do is over-analyzed and picked apart because ‘they’ ALL have a subconscious fascination with The Black Woman in general! Everyone talks about us wanting ‘white woman hair’ but ‘they’ get a pass for wanting our lips, our hips, and everything else that sets us apart. They clown what distinguishes us because they really want to be like us. The video is garbage, but I don’t care enough to be offended by it. I gotta get in here and deal with these real-life corporate haters…

Hey Luv :hugs: of course on the cheek. we are ladies :winky:

essenze says:

FurTherMore who gives a Fcuk what others have to SAY.
    People gonna talk and Hate for whatever U DO.
    Mofos talk about this lady and her a.s.s. shakers cause ther black.
    Mofos talk about a bishh cause they font Their instead of THERE or THEY’RE
    shuT daFcuk UP and GET A DAMN life.
    they have SO much energy to put into meaningless ,manufactured crisis,

Chile. . .
    ______

Woosah lol, tell them how you really feel lol. Seriously though I feel you. The internet has open the door to all sorts of fu*kery and everyone has an opinion. People feel the need to step on the soapbox for everything little thing that happens. It’s day where I step away from the computer because it becomes too much.

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Anyone see the Braxtons last night?
    hand raised!
    ________
    :raises DTTS saggy teets: I saw it too :hahaha:

Sakeena says:

I think shesay mocking Miley

deedeegirl says:

so if they were tweaking in a rappers video would it be ok? Please!

Mojo says:

She didn’t put a gun to their heads and make them shake their arse for the video. The blogger mentioned above needs to stop reaching smdh