Jay Z Almost Ruined Robinson Cano’s New Deal With The Seattle Mariners

Jay Z and Robinson Cano

Rapper Jay Z’s amateurish foray into the world of professional sports management almost cost his client, Robinson Cano, a deal with the Seattle Mariners, NJ.com reports.

The NY Yankees second baseman signed a 10-year deal with the Mariners worth $240 million, ending his employment with the Yankees. But talks between the star and his new team broke down late Thursday when Jay Z showed up making absurd demands for a 10th year at $255 million, according to the NY Daily News.

The Mariners thought they had a done deal with a very generous offer of 9 years, $225 mil, But Jay Z’s ridiculous demands so enraged the Seattle brass that they stomped out of the meeting.

Cooler heads soon prevailed and the deal was done. This is what happens when an amateur (Jay Z) is given too much power.

From NJ.com reports:

According to the report, Cano basically had a nine-year, $225-million offer — all he had to do was agree. Then Young Hov showed up, demanded a 10th year and $252 million, and enraged Seattle officials so much that they walked out.

Maybe we’ll hear about the whole situation from Jay Z himself on day. Maybe even in a rap. But, after checking out these lyrics, you’ll hope he avoids the subject in his songs.

“Shout out to World Wide Wes. Everywhere we go we leave a worldwide mess.” — Drake F/ Jay Z “Pound Cake”

World Wide Wes works with CAA, the agency Jay has partnered with. He has a ton of connections throughout professional sports. So, a mess, huh? Isn’t this looking a bit prophetic? Robinson, your thoughts?

Photo: Yahoo Sports

43 Responses to “Jay Z Almost Ruined Robinson Cano’s New Deal With The Seattle Mariners”

Just Looking says:

amateurish foray :tea:

lisaROSE says:

theres no dominican babershops in seatle i hope they mess his hair line up
    !!!!

FuturedocDonte says:

Wonder how much RocNation charges their artist percentage wise? :thinking: I would have been fine with 9 yrs 225 million

scorpio says:

Jay Z has accomplished a lot in his life. It should be acknowledged, but I don’t find him that intriging. When he did that Oprah’s MasterClass it was not like a Maya Angelou’s or Jane Fonda, or Sidney Portier.

rwilliams4782 says:

He almost lost bout 50 mil fuggin with jay.

ION think anyone needs that much money, but that’s neither here nor there :tea:

rwilliams4782 says:

Damn baseball is where its at fugg basketball

MissHarlem says:

I loved watching Cano grow as a player with the Yankees. Its bittesweet for me to see him go but he was asking for close to 300 mil if not more and thats something that we cant afford to agree with for any player. We learned tuhday with A Rod. I can understand asking for more money because Cano has expressed wanting to stay with the Yankees if the money was right. Although Im no hater with gettin that coin dude you asking for the most.

I will watch Sports Center later and the YES Network for all updates Yankees. Things are changing daily. Change is good

scorpio says:

Cause this ninja is not intriguing :shrugs: He gets the respect he has only because of money :tea: that is it …. not for brains IMO !

gypsyeyes says:

That is what I don’t understand about these women. They stay chasing NBA and NFL players when Baseball MLB is where the real money is…

rwilliams4782 says:

And its guaranteed money @gypsy..u have slim chances of getting hurt in baseball

Apparition says:

It seemed like the media was trying to undermine Jay. Every time they’d talk about these negotiations they’d say his name with a hint of disdain, like he was over his head. You know how hard it is to get those type of contracts when players like ARod, Kevin Brown, Abert Pujols, etc… making them look like a bad investment every time? Kudos.

I am having trouble getting on Sandra site from my computer aww shyt :coffee: hope they haven’t blocked it

Smonae says:

Jay just doing his job, I thought that’s what agents do try to get more money
    :shrugs:

rwilliams4782 says:

But u dnt push it to the point where they say fk it lol @smonae lol..

Smonae says:

He got him $240 so it worked out, ION see the problem :shrugs:
    We dont kno what was said behind closed doors, if the agent wasnt Jay we wouldnt have even heard about this

sassyshe says:

by gypsyeyes on Dec 6, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    ___________________________________________________

:cosign: thats why I tell my son who is a left hand pitcher and right hand batter, any sport you gonna pkay will be baseball because professional level, the longevity and paper is more in comparison to the other sports

rwilliams4782 says:

Jay need to b my agent

§ðçñµëþÿüîœæß says:

Contract negotiations fall apart every day. This is newsworthy because its Jayz. If he were say, the real life Jerry Maguire, hed be noted as bold, innovative, not afraid to branch out and take chances…Is what it is I guess. It seems as though they, do, and will continue to do, whatever it takes to keep us boxed in. Thats a given, its only weird, when we too, follow protocol :shrugs: Ill be damned if I block my blessings :nono: I wish him well :thumbsup:

sassyshe says:

I mean he did get him 15 mil more for another year and half of what they asked for. The mariners caved caused they were not about to let cano go

§ðçñµëþÿüîœæß says:

Smonae says:

He got him $240 so it worked out, ION see the problem

^Its so deep rooted, that indeed, it is hard to see :tea: Mornin :hi:

§ðçñµëþÿüîœæß says:

He kinda favors Strahan :think:

Smonae says:

rwilliams4782 says:

Jay need to b my agent
    —————-
    My sponsor too :yes:

jeniefrumdabloc says:

I am having trouble getting on Sandra site from my computer aww shyt hope they haven’t blocked it

They can’t block your smartphone or your tablet, girl. :coffee:

Smonae says:

I just hate when they (others) try to paint us like we just dont know what the hell we doing when its just business. If Jay was Justin T or one of their favs they would be praising him… end rant :no:

MissHarlem says:

^ :thankyou: thats how it works. If your agent doesnt fight to get you more money or at least negotiate he aint worth the chit in your toilet.

VDot says:

Dare I say Jay Z looks kind of sexy in that pic :ashamed:

FuturedocDonte says:

What y’all in here talm bout :popcorn:

FuturedocDonte says:

—–
    :pc: <— jenie manager fixin jenie for not workin not ner bit :nono:

Eye of Heart says:

:whistle:
    Let me be great

rwilliams4782 says:

I hate barbershops feels like I been here 5 yrs

Eye of Heart says:

:waves:

*tackles HARLEM & get up off in her face & sprinkles kisses all ova ha face whether she like it or GNAT* :kiss: :D :kiss: :D

Eye of Heart says: