Teenager On Life Support After Tonsil Surgery

Teenager on life support

Jahi McMath’s tonsil surgery was expected to be routine, but her family is faced with a heart-wrenching decision to remove her from life support after something went horribly wrong.

From YourBlackWorld.net:

Jahi McMath was taken to Oakland Children’s Hospital last Monday to have her tonsils and adenoids removed according to local affiliate KTVU. The surgery was expected to be routine, but after unexpected complications, the girl’s family is faced with the decision of whether or not to remove Jahi from life support.

Jahi’s grandmother, Sandra Jo Chatman, says after surgery the teen began bleeding heavily from the mouth and nose. She says she called for assistance from the nurses but no one came until she began screaming.

“I was the last one to see Jahi,” said Chatman. “I said, ‘Somebody help my baby please!’ And they came in and starting working on her. The next thing I know, the doctor said, ‘Oh no, she doesn’t have a heart rate anymore.’”

Hospital spokesperson Melinda Kreigel said the hospital is investigating the incident, but that the ICU is always fully staffed.

51 Responses to “Teenager On Life Support After Tonsil Surgery”

MsOnederful says:

Ohh nooooo :(

Caramel Rain says:

:pray: for recovery.. Lord please heal this child and help her recovery from her injuries

Caramel Rain says:

I wonder what went wrong? This is so sad

iAmChan says:

Oh my. This is sad. Praying for her and her family!

i :heart: sandrarose time warner can kiss my puppylove says:

I know nurses are overworked but there is NO EXCUSE for this. :pray: for the family :shank: for the lazy ass nurses.

gypsyeyes says:

PRAYING FOR THIS BABY GIRL…I HOPE THAT THERE IS A FULL ON INVESTIGATION.

essenze says:

Just read this somewhere else. The mother said there was no sense of urgency when she yelled that her daughter was bleeding from her mouth and nose. :no:

deedeegirl says:

I pray she will still recover.

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

:no: God bless this family

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

I didn’t want to go out on this note but.. everyone hold your kids a little tighter today :hugs: God bless. Thank you SR for keeping me entertained. I will be good tomorrow :winky:

KayCeiSoul says:

Sandra, from a medical perspective, what causes profuse bleeding like that during this type of procedure? Is this due to negligence or a doctor’s malpractice?

Praying for this family and this baby.

IsThisThingOn... says:

Caramel Rain says:

_________________________

touching and agreeing, In the Name of Jesus! :pray:

I can’t with this :no: :peace:

anw_rootbeer says:

My daughter had her tonsils removed this past summer and I was praying hard…rountine or not. She made a full recovry and it was the best decision.
    I am praying hard for this dear teen and her family!!!

libra80sbaby says:

This is so sad. :praying: for the family

Gigi26 says:

:no: Horrible!

goat76 says:

Hope all ends well!!

Just Looking says:

:pray: Nurses are overworked and some are just plain lazy and liars.

The hospital I worked, a patient committed suicide. The nurse had written in the chart that she had check on patient every hour. The camera said otherwise.

Probably in this case, their probably was some underlying bacteria infection, nothing the sorry nurse could have handled.

i :heart: sandrarose time warner can kiss my puppylove says:

I know nurses are overworked but there is NO EXCUSE for this. for the family for the lazy ass nurses.

doesnt really sound like something a nurse could have prevented but yes, they should have been attentive anyway.

CALI CHA says:

deedeegirl your gravi is PRETTIFUL :yes:

Just Looking says:

Nurses are overworked and some are just plain lazy and liars.
    ____________________________

bitchass nurses refused to change my aunt’s bed linen when she was dying of AIDs. now mind you this was in 2011 so they knew full well that they couldnt catch it by changing sheets. that mess broke her spirit so bad.

i could see if it was the 1980s and they didnt know better but they knew and they were just being cruel.

goat76 says:

Sometimes, sometimes love ones can be hysterical and judgement may be kind of cloudy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And this is why I am mad. I have been at the hospital with my mom before and this one nurse was out there watching something on her phone…but I done buzzed you 3 times.

GOD PLEASE Bless these folks. Man. :sad:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    It is breaking MY spirit reading this at the end of 2013. And for that I am sorry. *throak lump*

Just Looking says:

Orange Blossom says:

Just Looking says:
    Nurses are overworked and some are just plain lazy and liars.
    ____________________________
    Orange Blossom says:

Just Looking says:
    Nurses are overworked and some are just plain lazy and liars.
    ____________________________
    crueal bitchass nurses
    ____________________________
    Yeah, the reason why I wanted to work in health care because of how they TRIED to treat me when my son was born prematurely. I thought I could help one person….That was about it….

It goes beyond nursing, some folks have no SOUL and therefore should not be allowed to work in environments where caring is involved. Unfortunately some are well educated but only a personality of a nat. :shrug: Quality or Care…

I worked in Quality Management for years and the stories. Lawd….It includes doctors, nurses, pharmacy…dispensing wrong meds, giving wrong meds (cause of pharmacy) doctors asking nurses where they should cut. :shrug: :facepalm:

It goes beyond nursing
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    And I saw you spaked to me downstairs but I was running round helping a study team. I hope Pop Pop gets through Xmas okay.

But I cosign. What you said. It does go beyond just being a nurse. BFF is a nurse and comes from a whole FAMILY of nurses. Her mom, her aunts, and her grandmother. You have to have compassion. Gone are the days when you get actually A GRADE in nursing school on “Bedside Manners” I suppose.

got a ex coworker who’s wife went into nursing STRICTLY for the cash. when i asked her about pt’s that bitch said EWWW :blink:

i aint spoke to her SINCE :wtf: is WRONG wit folk??

hey poster with the long screen name :hi:

yall seen Erica from Mary Mary in that white dress? church ppl are not amused chile :nono: they dragging her worse than Megan’s :boobs:

Father GOD, in the mighty mighty name of Jesus. Please work a miracle here :pray:
    And give this family strength. Amen

FaylaGotAwlTheMasterCopiesOfBren’sSecksTapes&NoWhipfinityWasUsedDuringTaping :phew: says:

i work but the biggest bunch of azzholes!!!

:shotsfired: them!

deedeegirl says:

Thank you @ Cali Cha, that’s me. I’m having a fat day today and eating ice cream on the couch. What is wrong with me? Yoga and boxing gone out the window this month!

*disclaimer
    Fay, that’s me shooting them up :eek:

ION want you :deadhorse: Granny Clampit :no: #evenifshedeservesit

Miany says:

hey yall
    this is horrible :( :pray: for her full recovery

hey poster with the long screen name :cloud:

ION want you :deadhorse: Granny Clampit :no: #evenifshedeservesit

but she DEW dammit! :cuss: she aint eem the onliest one. this is only job that when i leave i wanna cuss ERRYbody out personally on the way out the doe! :cuss:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    We have ALOT of people here with nursing backgrounds who LEFT the medical side….to work on the pharma side…b/c they too were like ewwww I guess. She just need to gone head and dont even try to practice. Help decipher some of these pt charts that be looking like windings font to me. Write the narratives so I can know what the hail they tambout.

i need a vakay. solo. by my lonesome. :pigsfly:

i have eaten a snack bag of cheetos & a cracker today. dont have much of an appetite.

yall be ez :peace:

Omg my daughter had this exactvsame surgery :hide:

Just Looking says:

@Fayla – Take me with you, Take me with you.

To be around u is so-oh right
    You’re sheer perfection (thank u)
    Drive me crazy, drive me all night
    Just don’t break up the connection

I don’t care where we go
    I don’t care what we do
    I don’t care pretty baby
    Just take me with u

:whistle:

The only song I could think of…… :kona:

:hug:

This is so awful :sad: Chile it would be smoke in that hospital …. My Lord :no:

cocoa49 says:

This is so sad….

Just Looking says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To be quiet honest, I know it’s hard to imagine, but I can be a real arse. :tea: Anyhoooo….

There are lots of things to do with a RN license, however it pays more to have experience of being on the floor. Nurses go through hell, the bad ones go through it but give it back. I had a nurse tell me I was stressing my son…and that it would be best if I didn’t visit him. I was at his beside from 7am to midnight….I told charge nurse, FUGG her, and don’t let the hateful bish touch my son again. He’s a newborn and they get excited when they smell their mothers. She agreed and I watched her across the room toss babies around.

Just Looking says:

yeah, they were having so many problems with that…most hospitals have moved to all charting done by computer. computer or tablet at patient bedside. I will go into patient administration one day. gonna get this IT side down and go run a hospital in shape. Their are alot of good nurses out there. Unfortunately, just like in medical school they don’t have a class on how to talk to or treat people. I stayed in staff arase when I was a patient a couple of months back….

Matter of fact…they had a group of students come in and talk to me. I told them I was honored to be in their presence and they should be as well to be in mine :tea: :yes:

I said I was somebody’s daughter, mother, sister, cousin and friend and all patients should be treated like it’s a family member. They are a room number or chart number. The instructor smiled and told them smart fhuchers to be nice to folks, cause one day they gonna be sick. Now bye go back to your posh dorm here on the campus of Georgetown and keep that as food for thought for life, if you make it through medical school.

Pretty Brown Eyes says:

Lord I pray for this baby. I know all to we’ll how cold hearted nurses and doctors can be. Going through it now with my uncle, went through it with my granddad and have gone through it personally. They need to do better.

jealousCNenvy says:

my son just had the same surgery last month. If i would have seen this before then, i wouldnt have went through with it. I read they removed her from Life support and she passed away.
    Auntie can you check that?

PARIAH says:

Poor baby, bless her heart! I :pray: she pulls through

Crickett says:

free says:

Crickett says: Poor baby. Anesthesia is nitrous oxide, a gas that can be poisonous to people with severe anemia. 80% of surgical procedures don’t require blood work beforehand. I think it was the gas, it probably broke her blood down and stopped blood from going to her brain. Just my opinion. Sad.

****************************

wow. NO surgery is routine; i don’t care what they say. my condolences to this young lady’s family.

free says:

also, her mother is a surgical nurse and said she had clots coming out of her nose. they told her to catch the clots with a cup so that they could measure them, smh.

trynabeme says:

Merry Christmas SR family…I had to come back & read this story…..I hadn’t been keeping up on the news lately but when I saw something the other day on this story I realized this was a headline on this site.

@jealousCNenvy a judge ordered that Jahi remain on life support until 12/30

Praying for this family’s strength & that you all have BLESSED DAY & rest of the year.