Autistic Boy May Have Drowned After Running From Dog

Skeletal Remains Might Belong to Missing Autistic Boy

A 14-year-old Autistic boy who went missing from his Queens, NY school may have drowned after running from a dog, the NY Post reports. Avonte Oquendo disappeared on Oct. 4 after walking away from the Riverview School in Long Island City. He was seen running from a dog in Hunter’s Point South Park, a short distance from his school. Police believe Avonte may have fallen into the East River after running from a dog. Avonte’s family said the mute boy was petrified of dogs and water.

“He may have run in a panic and fallen into the water,” of which he was also terrified, the source said.
The final surveillance video of Avonte shows him leaving his school in Long IslandCity and walking ­toward the riverfront park.
On Thursday night, a left arm and two legs — still inside their jeans and sneakers — along with pieces of a torso were discovered washed up off of College Point by a 19-year-old ­photography student.

The waterlogged size-5¹/? Nike Air Jordan sneakers and size-16 black jeans and striped shirt, both from Old Navy, all recovered from the remains site, match what Avonte was wearing when he went missing on Oct. 4, law-enforcement sources and the Oquendo family lawyer say.

The grisly evidence has been sent to the medical examiner, and DNA results will be complete by Wednesday, the family lawyer, David Perecman, said Saturday morning.

“It’s not looking great, Perecman conceded, updating reporters at the Rev. Al Sharpton’s National Action Network. Maybe it’s possible that it will be some sort of closure.

• Skeletal Remains Might Belong to Missing Autistic Boy
  • Father Unsure if Boy On Subway Train is Missing Son
  • NY Police Commish: “Not Hopeful” Missing Autistic Boy is Still Alive
  • Crime: Missing Boy’s Mother Told Police She Had No Child

• libra80sbaby

This is sad.

• libra80sbaby

:thinking: I dont know if I believe ALL of this story tho.

• MsB2u

so sad

• http://SandieAtkins.Blogspot.com SandieAu05

Poor baby. I can only imagine the fear that he felt. I know it’s not the ending that the family was hoping for, but at least the mom doesn’t have to wonder where her child is. Now the healing can begin.

• FuturedocDonte

What do they have living in the river that will tear a damn torso apart :no:

• Anna

FuturedocDonte says:

What do they have living in the river that will tear a damn torso apart

~~~~~~~
      That’s what I want to know.

• MUNCHOSGIRL

FuturedocDonte says:

What do they have living in the river that will tear a damn torso apart

COULD BE THE CURRENT COMBINED WITH THE BODY BEING CAUGHT ON DEBRIS, THE WEATHER CONDITIONS, 3 MONTHS SUPPOSEDLY IN THE WATER…..

• PumpkinsMama

@ Doc the East River is also known as “Hell Gate”. The currents are really strong, there is alot of boat traffic, and lots of sharp jagged rocks around the perimeter. I’m starting to think there wasn’t any foul play. Water does extreme damage to bodies. The blades from a boat could have tore up the body, or it could have been slammed against the rocks repeatedly. Whatever the case, I hope our city is making his DNA matching a priority to give his mom some closure :pray: R.I.P. Avonte

• Ms Peaches

Lord please let this family finally get some closure. This is tragic, but I was glad to not to hear that he was abducted and abused.

• http://srchronicles.wordpress.com/ iAmChan

Sad.

Somebody page @Dub and let her know that I’d like her to be the first interview of The Chronicles.

• Diva

This poor baby….that just breaks my heart that he was all along to face his fears. sad sad

• Yardgirl

The East River is no joke, I wouldn’t even dip my big toe in that cesspool!! *shudder* R.I.P. Avonte :pray:

• Diva

Anna says:

FuturedocDonte says:

What do they have living in the river that will tear a damn torso apart

~~~~~~~
      That’s what I want to know.
      ——————
      Water is very destructive on a body :yes:

• MUNCHOSGIRL

WAS HE NORMALLY ALLOWED TO LEAVE HIS SCHOOL BY HIMSELF?…..JUST NOT UNDERSTANDING THAT PART

• Diva

MUNCHOSGIRL says:

——————–
      I heard the family is going to sue the school for him being unsupervised and able to walk out of the school without anyone noticing. His parent or parents were not notified until later on that day.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nAbQogbMOk Buttercup

Avonte’s family said the mute boy was petrified of dogs and water.
      =============
      :brokenheart:

• MUNCHOSGIRL

Diva says:

MUNCHOSGIRL says:
      ——————–

WRONGFUL DEATH…..PERIOD! ESPECIALLY WITH HIM BEING MUTE….SO SAD…

• i :heart: sandrarose time warner can kiss my puppylove

So sad :pray: for the family

• Caramel Rain

SO sad for this family. I pray they get closure, comfort and guidance. Perhaps this was just an accident. Everyone is so sue happy. Accidents do happen. Unfortunate, but it happens.

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

Diva says:

I remember when my nephew was 7 and the school called my brother and my mother before 8 a.m. to let them know that he didn’t get off the school bus one morning. We PANICKED! What happened was, several school bus routes passed by my mom’s house every morning. So he hopped his happy self on the wrong bus with his favorite bus driver who took a longer route to his school. But Florida schools are very diligent about calling you if your child is late or absent.

• lovezoe

Glad they found him. Hate it was like that.

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

Caramel Rain says:

My nephew’s school called us to report he did not get off the bus before the first class even started — and he was not a special needs child. I find it hard to believe that Avonte’s school didn’t notice that a special needs child was missing from classes. :no:

• luVn_liFe…

HellO ALL :wave:

How saD and TRAGIC for this child :|

• MUNCHOSGIRL

Diva says:

YES THEY DO, AND LEAVE A MESSAGE IF YOU DON’T PICK UP, SANDRA NOW THEY SEND YOU AN EMAIL AS WELL.

• lovezoe

Schools here don’t call until around 11. Kid could be anywhere then. And it’s automated.

• http://pearlswindow.com Carrington

Did the frigid waters freeze the body and that, coupled with rocks, “break” the body apart – or am I missing something here?

That’s sad. May he rest in peace and may his family begin dealing with their loss.

OAN

Families should consider the GPS for their kids or elderly IF they are know to wander off. Not saying that’s what happened here–just saying :tea:

It decomposed. I know y’all ain’t been outta HS that long :blink:

• http://pearlswindow.com Carrington

Decomposed in frigid waters in record cold temps?

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

Carrington says:

After 3 months his body decomposed and his skeleton was broken apart by the currents and rocks.

Carrington
      I think this happened months ago. Water freezing and unfreezes :shrug:

SR can you post on the player yesterday who just thinks his game is ALL that. Erin Andrews was looking like :eek:
      FOHWTBS it ain’t rocket science :lol:

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

lovezoe says:

Back in the 80s, a human called within minutes of the child being noticed missing. This was way before computers became mainstream. Now everything is computerized and depersonalized. :no:

• bumblebee

Avonte’s family said the mute boy was petrified of dogs and water.

So his last little bit of time here was dealing with the two things he was petrified of. Thats horrible and sad. Prayers for the family.

• SOTHERNGRL

So sorry that this ended the way that it has. Sandra is this the only post we will get today? Some of us have to work today help a sister out.

• http://sandrarose.com Sandra Rose

MUNCHOSGIRL says:

Yes, but when do they call? Time is of the essence when a child is missing.

I think today, right here and now, you (SR) should announce another prize giveaway :lol:

I’m ready :pc: #teamionlywinwhenimametheres :hahaha:

Damn autocorrect :mad:

• Caramel Rain

SOTHERNGRL says:

**********
      :cosign: LOL..

• luVn_liFe…

they sure DO.
      NOW they send TEXTS too

• http://pearlswindow.com Carrington

Back when we were kids, schools didn’t have 1200 students though.

I can’t imagine being able to keep up with tardies, absences, etc in a matter of minutes.

In a perfect world a child would go missing and family be alerted within 10 minutes, but I’m sure that it takes that long for teacher to get settled and take attendance.

• PumpkinsMama

Okay for those that don’t know (b/c it happened in NYC or just cuz) The boy was allowed to run right out the damn front door! There is video of him running out. A stupid school safety officer called out to him “hey go back” but he didn’t. School saftey made no other efforts to stop him from leaving. THAT is whay the parents are suing. He attend a school for kids with Special Needs, so the staff knows better :(

Aunty how you in the post and don’t say :newpost:

• luVn_liFe…

Doesn’t Talk To Strangers says:

FOHWTBS it ain’t rocket science :lol:
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      :rofl: RICHARD Sherman!! LMAOOOO he IS the BEST CB in the league and WAS on of my FAVes . . :facepalm: ButtURMH chile :phew:

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIs6REdG2Q datsmdubya2u

lovezoe says:

________________________

And they can malfunction too… the automated system at 2 high schools in my area broke down..when word got around nobody was calling their homes some students skipped school. luckily nobody came up missing

:waves:

LUVN

And errybody else

HAPPY MLK!

• lovezoe

Richard Sherman is a coon and I’m here for it. :rofl: #whowastalkingaboutyou

• Apparition

I don’t see what the big deal is about Richard Sherman’s post game rant. :shrug: He has been one of the better, if not the best cb, in the league for a couple years now. I remember when he got into it with Darell Revis on twitter and when he shytted on Skip Bayless on First Take. <—google it

• GottaBigOne

Ms. Rose:

A security officer Allegedly let the boy pass her by WITHOUT catching up with him!