Copyright Trolls

Copyright trolls

If you own a blog or website, chances are you have received an email or letter from a law firm or photo agency demanding payment for a copyrighted photo you posted years ago and long since forgotten about.

These emails/letters are being sent en masse by a new breed of online predator known as the “Copyright Troll.” Copyright Trolls extort money from bloggers and website owners by threatening legal action if you do not “settle” their copyright violation claims.

Thanks to a loophole in the copyright law, shady law firms and photo agencies are going after bloggers with demands for payments of $3,000 to $4,000 per image to make their problems go away.

The law firms and photo agencies usually go after small website owners and bloggers who will quickly pay their extortion demands without fighting back.

Copyright Trolls exploit a loophole in the law that leaves bloggers and website owners open to harassment and legal threats.

Under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) Safe Harbor provision, ISPs (and bloggers) are protected from threats of lawsuits if they remove the copyrighted material after being sent a cease & desist take down notice.

In order to take advantage of the safe harbor law under the DMCA, the ISP must be registered with the US Copyright office as the agent designated to receive the cease & desist take down notices.

Most bloggers are not registered as designated agents of their blogs. This is the loophole that the trolls are exploiting.

Under the DMCA safe harbor law, copyright holders must give you 72 hours to remove the image(s) from your server before they can sue.

Copyright Trolls use the loophole to sidestep sending C&D take down notices.

Unfortunately for Copyright Trolls, federal judges around the country are catching on to their racketeering game.

Racketeering is defined loosely as fraudulently offering to solve a problem through extortion (demands for money).

If you are a blogger or website owner who has received an email or letter from a law firm or photo agency threatening legal action for using copyrighted photos on your blog, you should contact an attorney who is familiar with Intellectual property rights laws.

If you can’t afford an attorney, contact the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF). They will put you in touch with a lawyer in your area who specializes in dealing with copyright trolls.

Do not contact the trolls before speaking to an attorney.

The best way to stop these trolls in their tracks is to let them drag you into court and prove their bogus claims.

They don’t want to go to court and litigate these cases, they want quick settlements to line their pockets.

Paying the Trolls to go away only makes it harder for smaller website owners and bloggers who can’t afford to fight back.

More Info On The Web

EFF.com Copyright Trolls

Copyright trolls now going after random bloggers who reposted photos

Extortion Letters Info

Designating Your Own DMCA Agent

Pre-litigation Demand Letters: Extortion

107 Responses to “Copyright Trolls”

SO you’re telling us this is what was the buzz about someone trying to sue you, Sandra? :think:

JMO says:

I never knew blogging was so complicated

SOTHERNGRL says:

@Sandra was somebody trying to come for you when you didnt call they azz. Is this the reason for this post.

SOTHERNGRL says:

I never knew blogging was so complicated
    *****************
    I dont know why you didnt cause Sandra will tell yo azz in aw heartbeat blogging aint easy.

LuvMySailor says:

Considering that I’ve seen your mention on SFTA, Necole Bitchie, and Tamara Tattles, you just probably saved someone’s life.

5 SOTHERNGRL says:

I never knew blogging was so complicated
    *****************
    ————-
    I was about to say that same thing. She will say with the quickness “Bloggin’ ain’t easy, kids” :lol:

Caramel Rain says:

:applause: I’m glad you’re fighting back!

Welp :tea: I will sit back and watch how this plays out… Sandra this is good info for other bloggers :tea:

MSVALLDAY says:

:shotsfired1: don’t come for auntie unless she send for dat azz!!!

Sandra not just telling US, she letting these future lawyers know she ain’t the one! :nono:

We’re touching on the SUBJECT . . . go ON :tea:

Caramel Rain says:

Sandra is Phaedra representing you?

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

Word! :coffee:

A.J. says:

Don’t feed the trolls!

People should consult with lawyers more often; they often will consult for free but I wouldn’t recommend Phaedra tho. :tea:

@SANDRA

So now that all that foolishness is over, you getting my Lebron 11’s or what?

JMO says:

… but she also supports men cheating on women … See where I’m going with this??

Caramel Rain says:

Sandra is Phaedra representing you?
    ———–

JMO says:

@man, just curious, what size shoe do you wear??

JMO says:

@man, just curious, what size shoe do you wear??

++++++++++
    8.5

@JMO
    ” just curious, what size shoe do you wear??”
    ______

7 1/2

A.J. says:

Don’t feed the trolls!

—————-

@JMO
    “… but she also supports men cheating on women … See where I’m going with this??”

:facepalm:
    That’s not what she’s saying.

She’s saying yall should be more UNDERSTANDING of it and to better comprehend what men are here to do. :yes:

There is a difference.

lovezoe says:

When Chuck said Phaedra was one of America’s top attorney’s in America. :rofl: I GUFFAWED! It amazes me she talks with that fake prep voice when all 3 of them from Athens, and she the only one who sound like that. Chuck and Nene sound like the country bamas they are.

Man, I just don’t care™ says:
    ” just curious, what size shoe do you wear??”
    ______

7 1/2
    ~~~~~~
    :huh: UMH SO, kids shoes are much less than Adult.

OH. :kona: my bad

lovezoe says:

When Chuck said Phaedra was one of America’s top attorney’s in America. I GUFFAWED! It amazes me she talks with that fake prep voice when all 3 of them from Athens, and she the only one who sound like that. Chuck and Nene sound like the country bamas they are.

**********
    Phaedra got her accent from the SAME place Trina Braxton bought her Canadian accent..

lovezoe says:

So our school district is telling parents of bus riders and walkers to find an alternative method tomorrow, but they still open. So you are basically admitting that it is too cold to be out in that weather, but school open anyways. BYE.

JMO says:

@man, just curious, what size shoe do you wear??

++++++++++
    8.5
    ————-
    :stop:

That’s TOO big for his feets. You know that don’t match his 3.5!

You can tell Chuck has a lil dyck :yes: Got damn Dyck Napoleon

A.J. says:

That was hilarious!! All of ‘em ghetto af. Phaedra just let that man clown her ass AND they in the same vehicle…could never represent me…

Schools are closed here :no: I think its suppose to be 6 for the Low or something

lovezoe says:

Jenie- the real feel will be like -15 to 10 below. I am REAL tempted to keep their tails at home.

Razz n Tazz n Such :kiss: says:

JMO says:

@man, just curious, what size shoe do you wear??

++++++++++
    8.5
    ————-

That’s TOO big for his feets. You know that don’t match his 3.5!
    ***********
    :dead: @ feets. Welp.

lovezoe says:

AJ- I woulda told him to put me out the car. He was so nasty to her. So very nasty. I woulda hopped a ride with the camera crew. Sorry, I wouldn’t want a man talking to another woman like that.

A.J. says:

I think Phaedra try to keep that shyt classy for the cameras but behind the scenes I think its another story…. I peeped that shyt when she told that ninja Apollo :stop: don’t speak to me and some other shyt….. her flow was hood as hell :hahaha: she do that fake shyt for the cameras

Caramel Rain says:

It’s going to be like 18 tonite, and and high of 38degrees tomorrow, then back up to the 60s on Wed. That’s crazy.

lovezoe says:

Jenie- I remember that! :rofl: She forgot them cameras was rolling, didn’t she!

I just read in some parts of North Georgia windchill -30 tonight :eek: :phew: Atlanta windchill -13 :no:

Caramel Rain says:

Oh Ma Gawd. I wouldnt know wht to do with that kidn of weather. They shut everything down here for flurries.

lovezoe says:

Jenie- I remember that! :rofl: She forgot them cameras was rolling, didn’t she!

and he backed up too :rofl: Phaedra hood, but she probrably promised her mother to keep it classy. Her lip be quivering when she holding something back :lol:

Caramel Rain says:

-30? :cold: I would think your job wouldnt expect you to come to work when its that cold

Sandra has an attorney named Precious I think.

This weather don’t bother me that much … but I think I will stay home because my daughter is out of school :tea: that will give me an excuse to stay home :lol:

lovezoe says:

Wayne Brady said him and Chili not dating. Yeah, I don’t think she was the right hue anyways.

Or is AttorneyMammy gonna do it pro bono?

:kona:

Caramel Rain says:

Wayne Brady and CHILLI? What? Fugg I miss on this blog today?

:wtf:

Sandra has an attorney named Precious I think.
    ——————-
    Bucket of chicken stealing and eating Precious?

lovezoe says:

Dubb- I think it was on US Mag site. He cleared it up on Twitta.

Yeah, I don’t think she was the right hue anyways.
    ————

Dr.GiGi says:

They also do this for trademarks as well. Many of the letters I received came from overseas.

datsmdubya2u says:

Wayne Brady and CHILLI? What? Fugg I miss on this blog today?

:wtf:

____________________________

:cosign: :wth:

@Razz…Precious Scott I think is the attorney Sandra has talked about in the past.

Not fictional Clareece Preshus Jones. Mother of down sinder Mongoloid or Mongo for Short. Daughter of Mary.

A.J. says:

lovezoe says:

Jenie- I remember that! :rofl: She forgot them cameras was rolling, didn’t she!

Well if you pop out a titty…aint no need in keepin nothing classy.

Hey I have a kwesshun…

did Janet’s tidday’s look anything like the man in my gravie does? Y’all think she would be able to take a selfie with her leftie? #handsfreebish :nun:

A.J. says:

#handsfreebish
    :dead: is that EJ? Ugh.

————-
    I was being funny Dubb :lol:

@AJ No :lol: iffin it was I thought he would be too #teamthis to do anything like that #ratchet :rofl:

datsmdubya2u says:

lovezoe says:

Dubb- I think it was on US Mag site. He cleared it up on Twitta.

Razz n Tazz n Such :kiss: says:

Yeah, I don’t think she was the right hue anyways.

______________________________

Oh ok.. WB Tweet “Is Wayne Brady gonna hafta choke a Bish? I don’t date black women. Da Fugg? I got Daytime Emmys! First my hairline now this.” :facepalm:

A.J. says:

An Atlanta pastor was found stabbed to death after failing to show up for church Sunday.

The Rev. Otis Byrd Sr. was found dead around noon Sunday, according to police.

Police were called to Byrd’s home in the 600 block of Finley Avenue in northwest Atlanta, where they found him dead on the floor, Officer John Chafee with Atlanta police said.

No arrests had been made Monday afternoon
    _________
    Everyone don’t drink the koolaid.

Datsmdubya2u- did he really say that?!

Just Looking says:

JMO says:

@man, just curious, what size shoe do you wear??
    This has been discussed for YEARS.

Size 7.5

Menes and Womens

:kona:

:shakebutt:

:scared:

rwilliams4782 says:

Looks to see if we have a Otis Byrd..

Everyone don’t drink the koolaid.
    ————-
    :wail:

I needed to clear that up @Razz hun. I like my log in.

Just Looking says:

:waves: Happy New Year to DUBB :kiss: and to All :hug:

BTW datsmdubya2u, is that Funky Dineva? :rofl:

datsmdubya2u says:

Razz n Tazz n Such :kiss: says:

Datsmdubya2u- did he really say that?!

________________________

UGH… I still see that powdered faced kid…

Looks to see if we have a Otis Byrd..
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hate you

one of y’all should send me some fried catfish with white bread, fren-fries and hot sauce. :wail:

Just Looking says:

Ugggg I don’t. Besweet JOSE. :vomit:

A.J. says:

Looks to see if we have a Otis Byrd..
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hate you
    _______
    It’s rough out here. Get the payment first tho, no nigga plans!!

@Cali :wave: Same to ya hun

Just Looking says:

bake catfish, hush puppies, sweet potatoe-fries and hot sauce.

:pizza: YUMMY

datsmdubya2u says:

Mane…ya’ll make me sick tom bout catfish and sweet potato fries… im on LOW CARB for the New Year

:cry:

You know what I will make sweet potato fries. AND I will use paiko bread crumbs and “fry” it in the oven. :lol:

rwilliams4782 says:

this lady came in talking bout she want horse carriages n shyt and dove release .. my grandpa told her to take that shyt to willie Watkins lol

lovezoe says:

Fried whiting with cheese and lettuce sandwich.

rwilliams4782 says:

back to my vacation search

@Dats bake some sweet potato fries!

Just Looking says:

rwilliams4782 says:

Went to funeral this week-end…You would have been disgusted. No direction, no signage on cars, no direction for pall bearers, loud talking in the back in the lobby by staff. I was so disgusted, I almost got up and wanted to direct. :facepalm:

Trendsetter says:

Caramel Rain says:

-30? I would think your job wouldnt expect you to come to work when its that cold

____________________________

Well I work in a hospital so we’re never closed…and it’s negative 16 here…well last time I checked it was.

datsmdubya2u says:

Razz n Tazz n Such :kiss: says:

@Dats bake some sweet potato fries!

Still too many carbs

rwilliams4782 says:

that’s what my papa is about direction and being organized and letting people rest in dignity. all that extra noise and speaking out of turn at funerals he does not play that at all..

“I love My Daddy Soooo Much!!! He means the world to me…He Never Seems to Amaze Me!!”
    ^^^^^ I found that kind of funny :lol:

rwilliams4782 says:

Only funeral I recall that got out of hand was when the guys baby mamas showed up and they all wanna argue about who was gonna ride in the family car.. My grandpa was pissed.. I got in the escalade and was laughing til I cried.

I got in the escalade and was laughing til I cried.

——————
    I dont know whether to laugh or say I’m sorry :|

<– #no hands

*sets waka flocka, rosco, and wale song on replay on the board*

rwilliams4782 says:

razz it was funny you would be amazed how many ppl think they are important bc they ridin in the family car..bish we goin to the same place

————-
    :lol: I didn’t even ride in the family car at my grandmother’s fune. It didn’t phase me either. :lol: folks are a trip.

I keep forgeting that it is a two hour difference now.. :(

I’m just sitting here twiddling my thumbs since there’s yet again nothing to do here. :lol:

rwilliams4782 says:

Yeah, I can see that tho.

“I gave birth to three of his kids! I know Tyrone woulda wanted my azz in the family car!” :mad:

rwilliams4782 says:

I’m gonna make me some hot choc.. roll up.. make some rosemary salmon.. and watch some tv I guess

@ R. WILLIAMS
    “yea everyone gone to get their bread and milk.. I called my uncle to see if he wanted to sleep on my patio tonight or if he is going to a shelter.. yes I said patio.. He can’t come in the house lol.. sticky fingers.. but I don’t want him to freeze..smh those drugs are a mf”

How can get phone calls?

But yeah, them drugs is a mofo.

:peace: y’all I’m about to go run :(

:peace: y’all I’m about to go run :(

My papa said if yo family can’t fit in these 3 cars then you SOL

byeeee

@R WILLIAMS
    “@man oh he will keep a phone.. He still gets his VA check but he is on drugs.. My grandpa did all he can and I can’t blame him.. He had a great family he just left them and started smoking.. He keeps leaving rehab..”

Yeah. Seems like every family has one. I got a cousin like that. He was a great athlete in his day and smart too. Got on that chit, and now he aint’ chit.

My Uncle just threw his azz out his house OVER THE HOLIDAYS. smh.

datsmdubya2u says:

This is chicken and dumplin weather…

*sigh* :crying:

NUTTINBUTHEFFASHADE says:

Sandra, can you pay half my mortgage this month and next month too? It’s cold outside. I’ll inbox you.