LeBron James apologizes for derogatory word toward the mentally challenged

LeBron James and Savannah James

Miami Heat superstar LeBron James has apologized for uttering the word “retarded” during a pre-game interview. James, 29, used the offensive word during a pre-game interview prior to taking on Kevin Durant and the blazing hot Oklahoma City Thunder.

Before Wednesday’s game against the Oklahoma City Thunder, James described a question from a reporter as “retarded.” The question was in reference to Thunder forward Kevin Durant being a better passer this season.

“That is retarded to me,” James said. “Kevin Durant is great at being a passer.”

James offered his apologies before addressing the media following the Heat’s 112-95 loss at AmericanAirlines Arena.

“I used the word retarded before,” James said. “Obviously, it had nothing to do with kids that are underprivileged . There’s no knock on them. It’s a word that’s been around for a long time where I grew. It’s a bad habit, so I try to break it. If I use it again, I’m going to try to do my best not to. I mean no disrespect.” Source

Photo: Instagram.com

31 Responses to “LeBron James apologizes for derogatory word toward the mentally challenged”

I do not care for this dude at all :shrugs:

LSLH says:

@Jenie

Me either.

Matchsticks says:

Oh lawd…I’m sure he used the word in jest…

Anna says:

~~~~~~~
    I didn’t know that’s what the word means.

Gigi26 says:

:rofl: Awww man Lebron…word to the wise, there are privileged retards in America homie.

PGaiter says:

Awful apology.

FuturedocDonte says:

:rolleyes: lord when did we become so sensitive

FuturedocDonte says:

Oh but Lebron, retarded has nothing to do with being underprivileged :nono:

JuanHustle says:

If LeBron opted to tie his left shoe before his right, someone in the world would be offended. That’s how sensitive the world has become.

Gigi26 says:

And Lebron just called a whole group of people that grew up JUST LIKE HIM before he got that $$….Retarded.

You just set it off Benjamin Button face. Fukk off.

Yardgirl says:

It was so common to use that word in the past and there was no hate attached to it *shrugs* I have made a very concentrated effort to NOT say it, but I do say it in my head sometimes :| Damn PC police is outta control looking to crucify erryone.

Boy, they get to talking to much

Smonae says:

Yard same here,, trying to let that word go :shrugs:

Gigi26 says:

——–
    :lol: :yes:

People watching for everything now. I wouldn’t have even second guessed what he said. My mind would have automatically replaced it with stupid

weFukNorNah says:

How is a mentally challenged child underprivileged?

SummerBaby says:

My mind would have automatically replaced it with stupid
    ——————-
    Me too! :shrug:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Is it wrong for em to say I don’t care about this, because I feel like it is not that serious?

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

*me

Yardgirl says:

I recently went to an event for “persons with mental disablities” and this couple was there with there son. They are old money CT millionaires and they told me they have taken him everywhere!! I mean name a country and he’s been there. The couple is in their 90’s, he is 50something and I got to wondering who will take care of him when they pass. I am sure they will have the money in trust, but it will not be the same.

weFukNorNah says:

Hell it’s an actress on American horror story with downe sinder

weFukNorNah says:

He wouldn’t use that word if one of those scoop head azz boys was “retarded”..

weFukNorNah says:

Now he gonna have to do a Nike commercial with one pretending not to be scared

weFukNorNah says:

How is a mentally challenged child underprivileged?
    —————-
    On the real, my guess is he meant underpriviledged by not being able to have the same opportunities as a person with “normal” mental capacities.

At the same time he’s grouping all mentally challenged folks in one bag. Hell I know a few retarded (and retarded is included in the name of their condition so dont chew me out) people who are leading normal lives. Married with a child, or got a boo thang that they call for quickies, working for a living, living on their own, fukkin in public bathroom stalls.. :facepalm: I will never get over that shyt.

I get what he is saying but there are several different types of retardation and he just didn’t chose the right language I guess. :shrug:

:lol: underprivileged?! Bless his heart with this Jessica Simp apology.

weFukNorNah says:

He wouldn’t use that word if one of those scoop head azz boys was “retarded”..

weFukNorNah says:

A person with autism is mentally challenged but I was reading about one that flew over nyc for 2 mins and was about to draw the whole city based on memory.. I can’t every remember my fukkin grocery list based on memory

I don’t use this word anymore :no:

I used to until we had a retarded baby born in our family :tea:

I look at folks sideways now :eek:

He should know better…

KikiBlack says:

The word retarded doesn’t necessarily refer to people with mental disabilities. People are so daggone sensitive. I don’t care for LJ but way to be PC. I wouldn’t have apologize for isht…but then that’s why I don’t have multi-million dollar endorsement deals n****.

KikiBlack says:

*apologized

Crickett says:

I guess stupid would have sufficed, until that’s prohibited too.