‘Ride Along’ Takes First Place in Weekend Box Office

Kevin Hart visits 'The Late Show with David Letterman' in NYC

Kevin Hart and Ice Cube’s comedy film “Ride Along” landed in 1st place at the box office this weekend. “Ride Along” debuted with $41 million, according to studio estimates Sunday. That was enough to make “Ride Along” the biggest opening during Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend. “Ride Along” is Hart’s first starring role since he appeared in a multitude of TV sitcoms and movies such as “Think Like a Man,” “Scary Movie 3 and 4,” and “Soul Plane.” He got his start on BET’s ComicView in 1992.

“He’s everywhere it seems,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for box-office tracker Rentrak. “I know he was co-starring with Ice Cube in ‘Ride Along,’ but this really was marketed as a Kevin Hart movie. There’s no question he’s a movie star now who doesn’t require any qualifications before his name.”

In second place, Universal’s Navy SEAL drama “Lone Survivor” starring Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch and Ben Foster earned $23.2 million in its second weekend in wide release, bringing its domestic total to $74 million. Source

Photo: Splash News Online

35 Responses to “‘Ride Along’ Takes First Place in Weekend Box Office”

FuturedocDonte says:

This is surprising… Not a big Kevin hart fan… I can wait until the DVD … Or never :shrug:

FuturedocDonte says:

7. “Devil’s Due,” $8.5 million ($2 million international).
    —-
    good! They could have learned something from Kanye… Folk is not for that devil worshipping :nono:

Afiya says:

:lol: I posted this downstairs :clap: I happy for Cube & Kevin!

The Pearl! says:

:hi: @Chan (from downstairs), hey, FutureDoc! :woot: Go Kev and Ice Cube! More and more, I just wait for EVERYTHING on DVD! :shrug:

The Pearl! says:

:facepalm: Kevin’s itty bitty lil jeans look so funny…look at all the fabric arounst his ankles. :hahaha:

FuturedocDonte says:

So 41 million? Does this means “everybody” went and saw the movie? Does this mean that ” Black movies are for black people and white movies are for everybody” no longer applies? So many questions :thinking:

Afiya says:

Doc, I think it was a variety of people, but I’m with you, I’ll wait for the DVD.

:offtopic: What do think of that ‘little’ number Beyonce wore to the First Lady’s birthday bash? :huh: :smh:

The Pearl! says:

Kevin wears a boys size 16 jeans — the same size 14-year-old Avonte Oquendo was wearing when he drowned.

The Pearl! says:

I think it definitely crossed over. Funny. TP couldn’t even get that crossover money when he threw that trash-can girl in his movie. :no: STILL couldn’t get some black folks or YT interested.

:hahaha: Good Morning, Auntie! And, just….dayum! :lol:

Yardgirl says:

***********************
    :dead:

Happy MLK Day Miss Sandra and Roses!! I love Kevin Hart and am happy for his rise to stardom. I just hope he handles his fame/money well and remember how fleeting it is :coffee:

Congrats,. Always happy to see blacks getting money in Hollywood, imma keep my comments about how I don’t think kevin hart is funny to myself :tea:

TheRealAshland says:

imma keep my comments about how I don’t think kevin hart is funny to myself

You’re not the only one who doesn’t think he’s funny. :coffee:

The Pearl! says:

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Yardgirl and everyone! Kevin is very likable in his interviews. He’s definitely having the ride of his life right now and seems grateful.

Yardgirl says:

Hey Ashland :hi: Kevin grew on me. At first I thought him unfunny (much to my son’s dismay lol) but given the right script, he can be funny. Now his stand up routines, not so much :coffee:

The Pearl! says:

I find Kevin funny, but I know many people do not. Those are the breaks. But, for me, it’s Mike Epps whose standup is not funny at all. I like him in movies though.

Yardgirl says:

*****************************

Hey Pearl :hi: So funny you mentioned Mike Epps. I am the reverse I find Mike’s standup funny (I saw him live and had hysterical giggles) and his movies so so. Like you I am just happy to see a black man make it and Kevin does seem grateful in interviews :yes:

“Devil’s Due” was terrible.

Kevin Hart is hilarious to me.

Yardgirl says:

*****************************

Hey @Yardie…see? There’s an audience for everybody — that’s what I like. Even Tyler Perry. (not a fan but glad he’s making his money, but not happy with his portrayal of women of color)

:hi: @Man.

BBL — gotta make a home depot run right quick!

Happy for Will Packer, Kevin Hart and all the rest of them! They promoted the heck outta that movie and it was quite entertaining! Go back today to see it again lol.

Happy Martin Luther King Day! :wave: So everybody is off today?

Kweenie says:

Yay! I’m off today

@ talkingwithtami: I’ll go with you. I saw it yesterday, but you know how loud and obnoxious WE get in theaters. :lol:

Afiya says:

Yep, folks off.

:bow: HAPPY OBSERVED MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. DAY!!!

Ms Peaches says:

Happy Martin Luther King Day! So everybody is off today?

—————————————————–
    Nope, this company didn’t even close when we had a 3 hour black out, chlorine spill, or wire fire. Nope still here, still grinding, just bored out my mind.

TruGemini says:

LOVE Kevin Hart. Think he is SO hilarious.
    However, what I don’t think I knew is that he was on ComicView in ’92

:pc: God prepare me for the hilarity that I know I’m about to see; i know he was looking a teeny tiny mess

I guess I expected more but :no:
    My tummy was not turning over from laughter.
    Excellent marketing though!!! :woot:

I think he has about 2-3 more movies in him and then Kapput :shrug:

I find Kevin Hart bout as funny as all other comdiens. I’ll check the movoe out tonight

1992? How old is Kevin Hart?

kamadiva says:

He is 34..I think.

I am going to try to see it today, but the Princess is out of school so Nut Job may be the ticket for today!

Umm in 1992 he would have been 12 or 13

Crickett says:

So I have a date night and its between this and American Hustle…?

eastpointvet says:

crickett since a perfect copy of american hustle has leaked out go see this