Medical Minute: 7 Heart Attack Warning Signs Women Shouldn’t Ignore

7 Heart Attack Warning Signs Women Shouldn't Ignore

According to a report on Foxnews.com, an estimated 38,000 women under age 50 suffer heart attacks each year in the United States.

Studies show that most women can’t differentiate between a heart attack and indigestion.

Most women who are having a heart attack put off going to the emergency room because the symptoms are so vague. Knowing the warning signs of a heart attack can mean the difference between life and death.

From FOX News’ Symptom Decoder:

Tingling down one or both arms or legs
While this often means you’ve got a pinched nerve or arthritis in your neck, “it’s important to rule out heart problems first,” Dr. Nieca Goldberg medical director of the Joan H. Tisch Center for Women’s Health at NYU Langone Medical Center said. See your doctor if you notice any tingling in your extremities.

Nausea/vomiting
You could have more than just a bug if your upset stomach comes along with other heart-related symptoms, such as shortness of breath, a cold sweat or pain in your chest or back.

Shortness of breath/racing heart
It can be really difficult to differentiate between a panic attack and a heart attack, since they share these symptoms. A few tells: Panic attacks can be triggered by a stressful event (though not always), and other signs can include trembling, intense terror and an overwhelming sense of doom. Panic attacks also typically come on suddenly and should pass within five minutes, while women’s heart-attack symptoms tend to start slowly and linger. The only way to be sure about what’s happening, however, is to get to the ER.

Jaw pain
Your jaw could hurt if you’re having a heart attack, because the nerves attached to it lie close to ones that come out of your heart. If the pain is constant, you probably have a dental problem; if it pops up intermittently and gets worse when you exert yourself, it’s more likely to be heart-related.

Dizziness/light-headedness
Feeling faint for no obvious reason (like doing a tough workout or being dehydrated) could mean that not enough blood is getting to the heart, especially if you’re also suffering from shortness of breath and a cold sweat.

Discomfort or burning in the chest or back
Women often describe a heart attack as tightness, heaviness, pressure or a squeezing sensation. The pain doesn’t have to be severe or sudden; it could come and go for weeks, so it’s often mistaken for indigestion or heartburn. If it doesn’t come on shortly after a meal, if you don’t normally have indigestion or if you’re also experiencing symptoms such as nausea, it needs to be checked promptly by a doctor.

Extreme fatigue
If you’re unable to walk a block comfortably or if you feel like you have to stop and rest while going about your daily activities, it could be a sign that blood is not getting to the heart fast enough.

How heart attacks happen
They’re most often triggered by a buildup of fatty deposits called plaque in our coronary arteries. When that plaque thickens and hardens, you develop atherosclerosis—a common heart disease that causes attacks. (Other forms of heart disease include arrhythmia and congenital issues.) Atherosclerosis can block blood flow, and therefore oxygen, to the heart muscle and lead to a heart attack. Some risk factors for heart disease are a family history, elevated blood pressure and/or cholesterol, obesity, smoking, high stress levels and having a sedentary lifestyle, although you can have heart attacks without being predisposed to them. Less common causes include a blood clot and a blood-vessel tear in the heart (known as a spontaneous coronary artery dissection, a rare condition that is most prevalent in those age 30 to 50).

DISCLAIMER

Any medical information published on this blog is for your general information only and is not intended as a substitute for informed medical advice. You should not take any action before consulting with your personal physician or a health care provider. Sandrarose.com and its affiliates cannot be held liable for any damages incurred by following advice found on this blog.

67 Responses to “Medical Minute: 7 Heart Attack Warning Signs Women Shouldn’t Ignore”

cteastcoast says:

And I see this 1x a week because people really don’t know it’s more serious then what it is….strokes mostly here tho

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

On topic: all women should be careful of this and know the signs!

Off topic: @taken you sure are!!!!! I’m getting married!!!!

@ct before I finished your font I was looking at it like :eek: lol

Thanks Razz!!

SOTHERNGRL says:

Good MOrning working Roses :wave:

Y’all, I wanted to cry this morning when Lil razzle woke up at 540. :crying1:

SOTHERNGRL says:

Congrats @Keya

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Keya :happy: :yahoo:
    OMG I gotta get my BRIDEMAID housecoat out the cleaners!!! Whew!! Let me know the colors so I can get it dyed :hahaha:

cteastcoast says:

lol @Razz

He said “I don’t want ti schleep no more.” :eek:

cteastcoast says:

Congrat @Nakeya even tho I don’t know why im saying it but it must be good news :coffee:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Lol @cteastcoast I’m getting married! @taken girl dye it plum. Make sure its the good housecoat, not the one you wear everyday to take the kids to school. Lmao.

Thanks @southern!!!

SOTHERNGRL says:

@Keya I hope he at least brushed his teeth and chit before he asked like a certain Rose got asked

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

@razz at 5:30???? Girl I would of turned on the TV and sat him in the bed with me and went back to sleep. Lol

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Congrat @Nakeya even tho I don’t know why im saying it but it must be good news
    You know what. I am not doing this with you this week :spank:
    You turn to Keya right now *pushes you in the byke* and you say congratulations like you mean it :waiting: I don’t care if you don’t know why you saying it .. even if the context clues are all over the place :rolleyes: You will NOT be a Debbie Downer. NOW GIT :lol:

Mr Razz birthday is today. When he woke me to kiss me goodbye this morning on his way to work I tried to get my Marilyn Monroe shyt on and sing to him. (I wasn’t fully aware nor was I fully awake :lol: ) I sounded like that lady from that smoke commercial who used to be a model lmao

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

__________________________________
    And I’m not doing this with you yew :spank: either. What is wrong with ya’ll this morning :rofl:

SOTHERNGRL says:

@Razz did he go to sleep earlier than usual to wake up so early.

Nakeya he didn’t get the pleasure of sitting in the bed with me. I sat him in the front with a blanket a turned on the TV rofl

cteastcoast says:

You know what. I am not doing this with you this week :spank:
    _________________________________________________________

My apologizes @Nakeya :party: Congrats :yahoo:

Lmao @southern he brushed his teeth and showered, before he took me out. :Lmao:

Rofl @unbrushed teefes!! :rofl:

And idk y he decided he didn’t want to sleep he went to bed normal time. Maybe he was trying to catch daddy before he left but was mad he left him thus him coming to me like he did lol!!

SOTHERNGRL says:

Lmao @southern he brushed his teeth and showered, before he took me out. :Lmao:
    ***************
    :phew: Thank goodness this is a young man with some sense.

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

@southern yes he is. No bedside proposal for me. *whispers to Kenya* no shade but I was not going for that.

Morning @San

SOTHERNGRL says:

@Keya Kenya know we just joshing with her. But um yeah rolling over with the cat butter still in yo eyes and stank breff is just not the business. And yall bet not be getting married damn Friday. Ms Take need more time than that to get her housecoat dyed.

Milky says:

Congrats Keya! When is the wedding?

OMG I’M SEW POST AT THE PERSON WHO GAVE MY KID HOT FUKKIN CHEETOS WHILE IN CHICAGO!! my baby won’t stop asking for them. FOR BREAKFAST! :eek: I tell him that he can’t have them, of course, but the fact that he’s now grown to love them gives me the sads.

Congrats Keya! When is the wedding?
    ———–
    I always wondered why ppl asked this right off bat. How I know I’m not ready :/

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

CT :hugs: That was mighty big of you
    Southern: I gotta drop my housecoat off to get alterations. It is made out of the finest silk worm fabric. So elegant. Couture :nun:

@southern no Friday weddings! I have to give y’all time to throw me a E-shower

@Razz. My bro kids had those by age two :lol: I would just look :blink:

San be like :shrug: shyt idk ask him :lol:

Milky says:

Sheddup @san :buttshake: some people have an idea. Ex: spring, summet, or fall.wedding

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Thanks Milky and San!!!! Its gonna be in July of 2015. I have not picked a date yet.

San I was just getting used to the fact he didn’t like spicy foods and someone gave him that. I can’t remember for the life of me who it was. Smh he is hooked lol.

Milky says:

@razz hot.cheetos has crack in them :rofl: kids running around all strung out!

Milky says:

Hey man :kiss:

Mr Razz still ain’t cleaned out his car. So I plan on going to the dollar store and getting balloons glitter and shred paper and filling that shut UP! LOL

They love em :yes: all it took for me was to get one stuck in my throat as a child. I was done

Milky my baby ain’t eem five yet. Lol we let him get a bag from sumway (how he says subway) with his food om Saturday and I’ve stretched that shyt out since lol

Awww @ “sum way”

He just came in here to confirm that they were only for lunch or afternoon snack :crying1:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Lol @razz he is not playing with you at all. Lol

Well I didn’t have to work today. I’m going back to my bed and do nothing :winky: :bye:

He call himself bringing me flowers rofl

San that’s where I’m communicating from lol

cteastcoast says:

jeniefrumdabloc says:

Good info :goodpost:

My babes :kiss:

Caramel Rain says:

:steer: Dropped by to say yall some :hater: s. My proposal was… unique. :nana: And we didnt do a long engagement. For what? That would have given him a chance to change his mind. LOL

Congrats Nakeya!! :yahoo: I’m sure you will be a beautiful bride. Wishing you lots of love and positive vibes for your upcoming nuptials! :peace:

69 says:

Congrat @Nakeya even tho I don’t know why im saying it but it must be good news
    You know what. I am not doing this with you this week
    You turn to Keya right now *pushes you in the byke* and you say congratulations like you mean it I don’t care if you don’t know why you saying it ..
    :rofl: I swear I love y’all.

Nakeya

Congratulations. No mo shackin up in sin. :yahoo:

Now during that honeymoon y’all gotta lose y’all self in that bed. I mean have secks until you lose track of time. Just be in the bed :hump: until the the cows come home and the roosters crow again. Do it you ain’t gone never have the opportunity to agane in this lifetime :kona:

69 says:

Nakeya

Make sure y’all hit that missionary position and open them legs up wide enough so if someone was looking from the back or from the side, it would look like that nigga in the bed booty poppin with the mattress. That’s the best secks :kona:

cteastcoast says:

Oh that’s right normal working people have today off :sad:

Thanks Kenya!! And 69!!

:lol: :lol: @69 its the best you say? Hummmm

cteastcoast says:

Oh that’s right normal working people have today off

Wait, today is a holiday?

Chelle514 says:

CONGRATULATIONS ‘NAKEYA’ it’s slow at work today but I’ve recieved over 35 calls from the public asking ‘ARE YA’LL OPEN TODAY’ #REALLY
    HAVE A GREAT DAY ALL :-)