Medical Minute: Abdominal Distention (Ascites)

Lil' Kim Sighting, NYC

Tongues were wagging when rapper Lil’ Kim showed up at a NY Fashion Week event on Wednesday night with a distended abdomen. Kim’s appearance sparked rumors that she was pregnant. The 39-year-old rapper’s abdomen was so distended she had difficulty walking and had to be carried by a member of her entourage.

Abdominal distention means swelling or bloating of the abdominal cavity but not of the stomach itself. The swelling can be caused by overeating or swallowing large amounts of air, such as when chewing gum.

Abdominal distention in a female is often mistaken for pregnancy.

The abdominal cavity consists of two membranes between the wall of the abdomen (parietal peritoneum) and a balloon-like membrane (visceral peritoneum) that wraps around the stomach, small and large intestines (colon), kidneys, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, uterus, ovaries (in women), bladder, spleen, abdominal aorta, and other structures. The space between the membranes is filled with fluid that is excreted by the membranes.

The abdominal cavity is located below the chest and is separated from the chest by a thick membrane called the diaphragm. Any adverse medical condition that affects the organs within the abdominal cavity can cause swelling and bloating of the abdomen.

These conditions include ascites, cirrhosis of the liver, cancer, ovarian or stomach tumors, indigestion, intestinal gas, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), lactose intolerance, ovarian cysts, etc.

Symptoms associated with abdominal distention include excessive flatulence (passing gas), belching, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, constipation, or abdominal pain.

Ascites

Another serious condition that can cause a swollen belly is ascites — a build up of fluid in the abdominal cavity that is usually caused by cirrhosis of the liver.

According to Medicinenet.com, approximately 85% of the ascites cases are thought to be due to cirrhosis of the liver. Other factors that may cause ascites are congestive heart failure, pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), pancreatic cancer, and salt and water retention due to kidney failure.

The most common cause of chronic pancreatitis is chronic (longterm) alcohol abuse.

Treatment

If the fluid build up pushes against the diaphragm it can cause breathing difficulties. In addition to medications and a special diet regimen, doctors will perform a procedure known as a paracentesis to drain 4-5 liters of fluid off at a time to take pressure off the diaphragm.

Paracentesis is performed under sterile conditions. A needle is placed into the abdominal cavity and the fluid is drained off.

Surgery

A liver transplant for advanced cirrhosis may be considered a treatment for ascites due to liver failure.

This has been your Medical Minute.

More Info On the Web

Ascites – Medicinenet.com

Ascites – MedlinePlus.com

Ascites: Pancreatic cancer

Complications of Cirrhosis: Ascites – Cleveland Clinic

DISCLAIMER

Any medical information published on this blog is for your general information only and is not intended as a substitute for informed medical advice. You should not take any action before consulting with your personal physician or a health care provider. Sandrarose.com and its affiliates cannot be held liable for any damages incurred by following advice found on this blog.

Photos: Splash News

70 Responses to “Medical Minute: Abdominal Distention (Ascites)”

n1kk1a says:

Poor Kim! That can’t be comfortable. I hope she gets better soon. Thanks for the early morning post, SR!

@ n1kk1a: You’re welcome, hun.

DoNotDeleteMe says:

Why??????????????????????? :cry:

Kim’s friend Tamar Braxton also confirmed the news, tweeting: ‘Awwwww congrats @LilKim on your little one’.

Her friend Perez Hilton appeared to confirm the news as he posted a picture with the star, and tweeted: ‘Me and a very PREGNANT #LilKim at #TheBlonds show. Congrats, boo!!’

:wtf: She better be preg! Who knocked her up :thinking: Hit it from the back perhaps :yes: Had too

And that still aint no excuse for those house shoes outside :nono:

Str8tUpMenace says:

That face! :no: Lawd, this chick gotta new face every year. Congrats tho!! I :heart: babies.

Str8tUpMenace says:

@San, her man’s name is Mr. Papers. :hahaha:

Congrats to the HARDCORE “Queen B”

and if she isnt :phew: then I hope she gets better/treated soon. That cant be good

:kona:

Boy body dysmorphia at its worst :no: Shame what she did to herself

Str8tUpMenace says:

I remember she did an interview with the Breakfast Club, and Charlamagne asked her about all her new faces (my words), and she had the nerve to get offended and say that she doesn’t have low self-esteem. :lol:

#bishbye

I could be wrong but that looks like a baby to me :coffee:

“I’m so excited! I’m a few months along, I can’t wait to be a mom!” Lil’ Kim exclusively tells Us Weekly.

#bishbye
    —————
    Denial.

MisTaken :cell: The Black Mamba says:

Oh the shade (Kyle Barker voice) :cool:
    While the jokester in me appreciates the write up we know doggone well she is pregnant :rofl: if that is her belly distending I say somebody call McDreamy to come operate cause she is about to die
    Thanks for the post SR. Stuck in the house again. Snow day

She really bout to look like oompa loompa now :hahaha:

Smokie says:

LOL Sandra, now you know that woman is pregnant. LOL

Congrats to the HARDCORE “Queen B”
    ———
    :lol: I forgot that was her name

MSVALLDAY says:

Maybe it’s me but I like this face better than the face she had a year or two ago.

Love being able to look at SR w/o looking over my shoulder at work! #SNOWDAY

cteastcoast says:

That’s foul Sandra..how can you easily believe Ci-Ci pregnant without a medical minute but not Lil Kim?? Not like she has anything else to do

bnatural says:

I can’t even imagine the faces she makes during sex :no: YUCK….

How much we wanna be ol’ boy is white or darn near white? :coffee:

Str8tUpMenace says:

bnatural says:

I can’t even imagine the faces she makes during sex :no: YUCK….

How much we wanna be ol’ boy is white or darn near white? :coffee:

He’s Black. A lil funny lookin, but he’s Black, tho. :lol:

Smokie says:

LOL Sandra, now you know that woman is pregnant. LOL

Until I see the ultrasound I refuse to believe that 40-year-old woman is with child. :no: :coffee:

Pretty Brown Eyes says:

Chile she betta be pregnant cause if all that is from taking a big gulp of air I quit!

cteastcoast says:

The answer is simple: Ciara is hot-to-trot and fertile, while Kim’s vaginal canal is bone dry. The question you should be asking is, why didn’t Ciara get knocked up before now?

I believe Kim is pulling a Beyonce. Watch her conveniently have a “miscarriage.” :coffee:

Str8tUpMenace says:

cteastcoast says:

:crying:

cteastcoast says:

And this is very true Sandra :coffee:

Smonae says:

:wtf: :shocked: I was hoping this was a joke

Lil Kim is pregnant with sadness and REGRET over doing her face like that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    So are you saying she will NOT be giving birth to a Christopher/Christina Wallace Jones Mayweather?

deedeegirl says:

She does not seem like the mothering type to me in any way whatsoever. Wonder what life will be like for that baby.

missyJ says:

What Kimmie gon do when baby comes out with her first face??

Smonae says:

I hope Kim slow down on drinking all that watermelon,, that baby dont need to be fed them seeds :coffee:

Str8tUpMenace says:

missyJ says:

What Kimmie gon do when baby comes out with her first face??

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

What Kimmie gon do when baby comes out with her first face??
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Who the pappy? Unless Scott Storch cokehead azz is involved…baby might come out with her first skin color as well.

Um Lil Kim looks very pregnant chile :no: very pregnant….. folks believe anything :rolleyes:

Okay but I am still Team KIM
    :facepalm:

Congrats Mama! :yes:

deedeegirl says:

Wonder what life will be like for that baby.

I’m sure child protective services will step in and snatch that baby out of her womb in the delivery room. :coffee:

Only Beyonce can pull a Beyonce :tea:

Smonae says:

Well I hope she has a healthy pregnancy and that baby has all the love and support he or she needs to grow.

SR
    what’s “wrong” with her having a baby? :shrug:

bnatural says:

deedeegirl says:
    Wonder what life will be like for that baby.
    ——

This made me chuckle :lol:

Pregnancy can do wonders for the maturity of a mom—and dad. Look at Nicole Richie. :shrug:

Yep you mature real quick with kids :yes:

:offtopic: do anyone know if K cups get old ? I found some Hot Cocoa in the pantry , a box and its never been opened…. I can’t find an expiration date…..

Oh San, I clicked on your name but it didn’t take me to you (you know what I mean)
    :eek:

<–Doesn't Talk To Strangers says:

Yep you mature real quick with kids

:cosign: some !!!!! Some still up to they old mess chile :no:

missyJ says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:dead:

Does Parent’s Choice (Wal Mart brand) make skin bleaching baby wipes??

Carrington says:

Where is the ress? What was the purpose of this one if you weren’t going to follow up with, “I hear from a reliable source that Kim ain’t pregnant, she just enjoys a Lil Debbie – or a case.

DTS :thankyou: oh and I will send the package next week, things are messed up around here in Atlanta…. stuck at the crib :lol:

Uhhhhh Ohhhh Jenny
    This box here says exp. 08/12 & my boss been drinking them! :hahaha:
    He ok though :eek:
    :shrug: #maybeyoushouldjusttossthem

2012 :eek: Is it coffee or cocoa :thinking: I wonder does that matter… cause I can’t find an expiration date on it :thinking:

tintin1979 says:

oh wow. she’s pregnant. I just googled it. didn’t know. Sandra you know you’re wrong. If Halle can have a baby in her older years, I’m sure Kim can.

tintin1979 says:

Beyonce also claimed she was pregnant. Remember? :coffee:

ricanlbc says:

She is just too old. Ill never forget that live feed where her Bentley was repo’d! She was so embarrassed. Yeah look that up. She was dating Scott Storch but he was heavy into cocaine not paying bills. I thought…where is all HER money? Alot of her clothes are gifted from designers. Its sad…her p**** has too many miles on it!
    #RetirethatSh**

Ignore the media reports. Kim is the only one confirming this “pregnancy.” If you recall, Beyonce also confirmed her “pregnancy” with Blue Ivy. Her surrogate knows the truth. :coffee:

Audacious2 says:

She look like she’s full of uterine Fibroids. Those things can make you bloat like a 30wk pregnant woman.

jaqyfine says:

hahahhahahhahah!! MAN!! so much shade on this cold ass day!!! I love you Sandra!!!

She is at least six months with a boy!

Crickett says:

That baby is sitting high. Probably gas.

Dreadhead85 says:

You can have a baby when you’re 40 though…. my aunt had a suprise baby last year and she is 46

Sandra, Is it hard to believe because she’s 40 or because it’s Lil Kim? Because we all know it’s not uncommon for a 40year old to get pregant