Bank Teller Mistakenly Deposits $31,000 in Teen’s Account

First Citizens bank A bank teller’s careless error made one Athens teenager $31,000 richer, according to a report on Onlineathens.com.

The error occurred on March 7, when a man walked into the First Citizens Bank on U.S. Highway 29 in Athens and made a $31,000 deposit.

Several customers at the bank have the same name as the man, so the teller mistakenly put the deposit into the wrong account.

On March 17, the customer called the bank to report money missing from his account. Bank officials investigated the customer’s report and discovered the teller’s error.

But by that time, the 18-year-old had withdrawn $20,000 from his bank account and spent $5,000 more on purchases made with his ATM card.

When the teen went into the branch to withdraw more money, a teller informed him the money was a mistake and asked him to return the cash. According to a sheriff’s report, the teenager insisted the money was an inheritance from his grandmother’s estate.

When sheriff’s deputies went to the teen’s house to question him about the money, he again insisted the money came from his grandmother.

After the deputies explained how much jail time he was facing, the teen told them he would make arrangements with the bank to return the money. But bank officials said the teen never returned to the bank.

Investigator Doug Martin tells the Athens-Banner Herald no charges have been filed yet. Bank officials plan to press charges if the money isn’t returned.

106 Responses to “Bank Teller Mistakenly Deposits $31,000 in Teen’s Account”

kamadiva says:

He better put this money back…and quick! I use to work for a bank and they do not mind locking you up.

The teller is at the unemployment office rit now!

deedeegirl says:

They don’t have a case. It was their mistake and they are going to have to eat that. I used to be a teller, more than 20 years ago. I mistakenly gave someone an extra 1k$ when he cashed a huge check (it was about 20K). Needless to say, they frown upon that kind of thing. I could have lost my job but they decided my manager was also at fault. The guy was a repeat customer and they refused to do any more business with him until he returned the money, which he did, but he didn’t have to. There would have been nothing they could do about it. I decided shorty afterwards, that kind of work was not for me. LOL

:pray:

pointhimout says:

the teller will get fired and the kid will have to pony up the money quick. why spend it if you know it isn’t yours? but i guess when you’re young u dont think far ahead. and wth did he spend $20g’s on? something tells me if he withdrew and spent over 25k, he has nothing left. i dont think he’ll go to jail, but he will be on the hook until this is paid back and probably with interest too.

SOTHERNGRL says:

I heard about this this a.m. on TJMS. Lil dude said I have done spent that monay and you will get it back when I can.

————-
    :eek:
    :steer:
    :thankyou:

kamadiva says:

Doesn’t matter, if it is their mistake or not, he know he didn’t have $31K in the bank and he knowingly withdrew it and spent it….still THEFT!

So you are saying the bank has to for over the money that the REAL customer lost (that was deposited incorrectly) and still take the loss of the teenager took. :nono: They are NOT going to do that!

________________________________________________________

All @ Gamestop, Best Buy, Chipotle, and Cook Out :yes:

missyJ says:

They don’t have a case.

===============

Ioono where you from but here they most certainly do. Accepting what you know is not yours is indeed a crime. Same principle as receiving stolen property even if you don’t know it is stolen. If you cannot verify its origins, you are criminally and civilly liable

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

I wonder what type of charges are they going to bring to this young man. Bet money he don’t have the money…well not all of it.

MsB2u says:

It is what it is that boy is not returning anything

kamadiva says:

@SAN – :rofl: We have all prayed for extra $$$ in our account!!

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

If you cannot verify its origins, you are criminally and civilly liable
    —————-
    So this teen don’t live at home with his parents? They did not notice all the shyt he was buying? Hummm

Buttercup says:

:hahaha: Man, I miss Athens.

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

Nah that’s stealing Dee. He knew that money was not his. Just like if your employer wrongly deposits money into your account and you spend it :rules: you gotta pay it back. They say you are just as liable. Sucks but they ain’t playing no mo :lol:

kamadiva says:

@LTL – he went to get buy one of those Audermar watches ono Rick Ross discount!

San ah make ya dance says:

Real life, I personally know someone this sorta happened to, but it was a wire. They waited a lil bit, withdraw over some days and closed out. They tried to send stuff for a return but it went nowhere

:wtf:

WHY Are they pulling accounts up by name, what in the StoneAge hell Kinda Operations procedure is that!?

the teller should Pay the money, ur mistake ur cost :tea:

Fated4Greatness says:

I was a teller for 2 years and i dont even see how this flew. My managers didnt play….we totaled everything and the amounts (cash and checks) the computer generated needed to match what your drawer had or you wasnt going home….it took me one time to be stuck at the back 2 hours after it closed to always have my ish right

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

@Taken, can you please get outta my face with that damn gravi? Ugh.

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

All @ Gamestop, Best Buy, Chipotle, and cook out

:lol: cool out
    Chipotle does sound delicious :wails: and eats my meatless salad. A change gone come

San ah make ya dance says:

:rofl: We have all prayed for extra $$$ in our account!!
    —————-
    @Kama Jesus heard my cry! :lol:

missyJ says:

===================

You already know they dumbazzez was spending right along with him. They will have those fools on camera at the mall buying up all the J’s :facepalm:

Buttercup says:

When we lived in Athens, I had written Honey Dip a check, and he deposited in the ATM. A month then two months passed and the check didn’t clear my account. I kept asking him if he’s sure he deposited it, and he said that the check was shown as a deposit in his account. Come to find out, someone stole THE ENTIRE ATM :rofl: They had the nerve to write him a letter asking him to contact the person who wrote the check (me), so that I could pay them. Ashiiiiiiid, that’s what insurance is for :tea:

kamadiva says:

I use to work in the bank Operations center….too many decades ago when people use to actually write checks like they swipe debit cards; we received a batch of work and in one of my batches, there was cash, the deposit ticket and the trailing ticket (one that they verify all deposits against)…..I could have taken it and no one would have been the wiser as all traces of the money were in my batch. Needless to say, after thinking about it for 15 min, I called my supervisor over to get it. It could have been a set-up. It was for $3,500…and when you 17 working in a bank – $3500 is a lot of money!

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

Keya I am phone posting right now so I can’t see it :nana:
    I will change it cause you are pregnant :rolleyes: can’t have the baby come out looking like rocky dennis. You know those old wives takes that your baby come out looking like who you are mad at

————
    :hahaha: The WHOLE ATM

deedeegirl says:

I didn’t say it wasn’t stealing. I just don’t believe they can hold him criminally responsible. they can likely sue him to recover the money. I’m telling you from my experience having actually done something similar working as a teller.

I remember another case in the news years ago where a lady got hundreds of thousands of dollars in her bank account by mistake. She didn’t touch the money but the bank wasn’t doing anything to resolve it. It was just sitting in the account and had been for months. Not sure how it eventually was resolved though.

the 31K is FDIC insured anyways,right?
    Banks loss, file a claim. :shrug:

missyJ says:

=================

Shooo I got paid for ONE DAY I didn’t work, nobody knew or woulda caught it. nope, I gave that money right byke… Y’all not finna catch me slippin.. payroll lady ain’t like me neither :no: she was not about to have me in a bear trap

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

I worked on the bank too… As a banker. It’s stealing :kona:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Keya I am phone posting right now so I can’t see it
    I will change it cause you are pregnant can’t have the baby come out looking like rocky dennis. You know those old wives takes that your baby come out looking like who you are mad at
    ———
    And that is exactly why I stopped talking about other people’s kids. (yall know yall do it too) Because I can’t have my kid looking like I made Jesus mad, and on the get back. Nope, I ain’t gonna do it.

kamadiva says:

@Buttercup – was the check under $500? If so…prolly wouldn’t pursue it.

Buttercup says:

========
    Boy, I have a lot of stories today. When I worked at a wireless store, I had my review then got a BIG raise….. like $7/hr. 6 months later someone from HR emailed me telling me that I had to repay the money. I was like :shrug: I had a review and got a raise (which brought my wages with what others were making). If you want your money, I suggest you contact the person who “incorrectly” entered it. I went to my boss about it, and he had already taken care of it.

My sis’s son was rummaging thru her stuff sevral years ago. Her fiance at the time had a safe there.
    He forgot to lock it, His bad ass went in there grabbed 5K out and balled the hell out.

:phew: lorT that could not have been me and mines :nono:

San ah make ya dance says:

the 31K is FDIC insured anyways,right?
    Banks loss, file a claim. :shrug:
    ———–
    :hahaha: Hey Luvn :waves:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

*And He on the get back

deedeegirl says:

@ Luvn, yes, they are insured for that kind of thing. Will probably cost more to go after the kid.

kamadiva says:

@LuvN – it is…but the bank gon’ try to recover it and pursue it first.

——–
    :rofl: Did they skin him???

Chile, If I “accidentally” get some cash in my po checking account, them mofos will have to fight with my mortgage company.
    Cause im immediately sending a wire and chucking up the dueces.

kamadiva says:

@LuvN – I know someone that did that similiar thing…he couldn’t walk for a month…literally!

missyJ says:

We had a Brinks truck (or one of their similar counterparts) crash and money flew out. They used traffic cams to identity all who took money… everyone was prosecuted. Let me :computer: see if I can find the article

Buttercup says:

@Buttercup – was the check under $500? If so…prolly wouldn’t pursue it.
    ========
    I think it was around $200-$250. I certainly don’t “pay back” Honey Dip for things over $500. That’s a gift :filesnails:

@SAN NO they didnt! he was put on punishment and Heavy chore duties :rofl:

Again, I say File a claim and call it a day. that boy doesnt have the money AKneeWAYZ

Aint no sense in the bank trying to get blood from a turnip :tea:

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

@butter: yea that was a data entry error. I can se why they didn’t get that back :lol:
    I worked somewhere before in HR at large org and they mixed up 2 people’s salary. A doctor and a entry level person. Doc didn’t notice but the other person saw a 4k check and started spending :thankyou: they normally made like $800. We called her like :nono: and they had to gradually pay it back because they knew that was outside the scope of their normal check. :shrugs:

luVn_liFe… says:

@SAN NO they didnt! he was put on punishment and Heavy chore duties :rofl:

Aint no sense in the bank trying to get blood from a turnip :tea:
    —————-
    He was pose to get all kinds of whoopings :hahaha:

Blood from turnip :dead:

missyJ says:

Aint no sense in the bank trying to get blood from a turnip :tea:

===================

I think they should just send his azz to jail. Don’t cost chit to prosecute

deedeegirl: I’m surprised that you think it’s okay for the teen to steal $31,000 just because he found it in his bank account. He knew it wasn’t his money to spend. By the way, his parents did a horrible job raising him with no sense of responsibility or morals. :no:

Buttercup says:

yea that was a data entry error. I can se why they didn’t get that back :lol:
    =======
    :thinking: Now that I think about it, that was around the time I hired my house cleaner. I was a single mom, going to school, and working, but Lil Butter and I used to ball out :lol:

Thank goodness I don’t act on my rachett urges much anymore.

San ah make ya dance says:

Aww she aint never picked up that bill she saw just laying there on the concrete like come get me??? OK

I agree my nephew should have been molly whooped! but i digress :tea:
    my son was -> :eek:
    he said my nephew must be out of his mind :lol: He already Knows where I stand on that.
    he woulda been packing a knapsack and going to the covenant house.
    I cant have anyone in my house stealing :nono:

kamadiva says:

The bank is going to recover those funds…period point blank. Though it is insured, they are NOT going to be out of $62K…the $31K they have to put back where it was originally going. What if it was your $31K that got misappropriately funded to someone’s account? You will definitely want the bank to give your your coins, right? RIGHT!

pointhimout says:

why spend it if you know it isn’t yours?

:applause: I was raised with good morals. If I saw more money than the amount that was supposed to be in my bank account I would return it. But I have a conscience, so… :coffee:

Thank goodness I don’t act on my rachett urges much anymore.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    THAT!

Gigi26 says:

He balled out with that cash, Lil nigga prolly put a down payment on a car, got some J’s, video games, some jewels and some true religions.

He set himself up to be fly for the next 10 years.

I had this happen to a friend of mine but it was 500 dollars, the bytch spent it and the bank came after her. She set up a payment arrangement :tea: That bank ain’t filing a claim. They got him and his folk by the balls. Its larceny, felony at that if he doesn’t return it.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    ABSOFCUKING LUTELY!! BUT IT WASNT AND AINT. SEW i’ll play with it

Buttercup says:

========
    This reminds me of the joke where a man’s boat capsized in the ocean, and he was hanging on to some debris to keep him afloat. The man starts to pray for God to rescue him. One boat comes by, and the captain offers to help. The man said, “No thanks. I know God will answer my prayers.” 2 more boats came to help the man, but he was steadfast in waiting on the Lord. He eventually drowned, and when he went to Heaven, he asked God, “Why didn’t you save me?” God replied, “I sent you 3 boats :shrug:” :rofl: Gosh, I’m corny.

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

SR done snuck up on us
    *high pitched shaky voice* :hi: Hey girl!

If it was mine I would have called CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC and Emailed SANDRA Rose.

missyJ says:

=====================

5924.121 Larceny – wrongful appropriation.

(A) Any person subject to this code who wrongfully takes, obtains, or withholds, by any means, from the possession of the owner or of any other person any money, personal property, or article of value of any kind:

San ah make ya dance says:

@Butter, :hahaha: I’ve heard that story, you aint got to tell/show me twice :lol:

FACTS still remains the Account holder who’s 31K was misplaced is STILL going to GET their 31K, whether it be from the kid, teller or FDIC claim.
    :yes:

kamadiva says:

@Luvn – that’s why they gon try to get that money back or put him in jail. Fed time….and he’ll do 85% before he get out…

Gigi26 says:

Yep Missy J :yes: :tea: That lil nigga will return the funds. Whether its a dollar a day/month/year, either he or his folk will be paying that money back.

Hell shiid if banks ain’t giving out fukkin mortgage loans like they used to, you really think they’ll chuck 31k as a loss willingly? Hell naw, that dude is in some shyt.

Hell they might sue him and have him pay attorney’s fees too if he want to go there. Those are ppl I ain’t fukkin wit, the bank and the IRS :no:

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

Columbus Short :shrugs: Spousal abuse charge last month…. Punch a dude out and get arrested this month? He bout to die off Scandal :facepalm:

kamadiva says:

@Taken – she shole did! Stealth like, too!!

Not only did he steal the money but he lied about it. He’s obviously morally corrupt and has very poor judgment. I blame his parents, who are probably as shady as he is. I wish they would release his name so future employees can avoid hiring him. :no:

Gigi26 says:

:rofl: at their motto “We’re on it” Shiid more like “dropped the ball” :no: That’s a huge mistake right there boy, ole buddy will prolly close his account with em, loss of clientele off a dumb teller move :no:

Gigi26 says: at their motto “We’re on it”
    ~~~~~~~
    GEE
    I just caught that TOO! :lol:

missyJ says:

============

So now when you and other banking patron now have to pay higher interest rates, more ATM fees, more account service fees to cover the increased insurance premiums a bank has to pay for filing a claim, what then :shrugs:

FDIC ain’t free…. the bank will pass on their increased costs to you, the consumer. Pay your mortgage with the money if you want to.. bank gon get it back…

————–
    Then he’ll never be able to pay em back :crying1:

deedeegirl says:

@sandra i DID NOT say it was ok for him to steal the money. It’s not. I’m just saying if the bank can’t recover it, it is their loss. Unless they sue. I doubt they can get him criminally.

Buttercup says:

=========
    :yes: He thought he had to worry about that chick. Mama Pope will probably off him. Why did the white guy on the first season leave :thinking:

kamadiva says:

@Taken – I said the same thing! Columbus short pulled a a coupla dudes cards..thinking he soft and shyt! He said – “Nucca, I jus look like dis, don’t let it fool ya”!

He is really going to need Olivia to help him!

Im sure the confidence in this bank will be plummeting Very Soon.

FOlks dont got money to squander,let alone be freely putting in others pockets.
    SheeTe NOT EYE

missyJ says:

=================

You think he got a single mama? :think: Or a gay daddy?

RelaX
    EYE am shooting the SHYTE here folks. Im not in the bizNess of jankiness, Nor will I BE SITTING IN JAIL BEHIND ANY BULLSHYTE.

ITS ALL JOKES! SHEESH

kamadiva says:

@Buttercup – I think they made it seem like he got married and move away…I think. I may need to go back and look.

Buttercup says:

I blame his parents, who are probably as shady as he is.
    ========
    :nono: This is applicable in some cases, but this boy is 18 years old. Parents can train up a child, but when he or she is old, it’s up to the child to not depart from his or her ways.

Gigi26 says:

I remember back in the day you balled out and then called the bank and said them charges were fraudulent and they gave you the money back…shiid not no more! Them niggs will give you a temp credit and take that shyt back if the investigation reveals nothing :tea:

31k is a lot to squander :no: I would be scared to do blow that much off a mistake. :lol:

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

I just saw a video 2Chainz put up of a girl who tried to sneak backstage to :hump: it’s so embarrassing. When she found out she was being video’d instead of being mad she yelled out her Instagram page info. :facepalm:

San ah make ya dance says:

He is really going to need Olivia to help him!
    ~~~~~~~~~
    TEE em Z reported Columbus said Olivia Pope cant help me, she has her own problems :lol:

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

No Luvie!! We want to fight
    *rips blouse open like incredible hulk*. :angry:

Gigi26 says:

I’ll never forget the Columbus Short video where he busted his azz at a step show :rofl: :crying: fell straight AWF the stage :rofl:

Lemme go watch it again on the tube :rofl:

missyJ says:

Why did the white guy on the first season leave :thinking:

=====================

What white guy??

No Luvie!! We want to fight
    *rips blouse open like incredible hulk*. :angry:
    —————–
    You so crazy :lol:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    @MISTAKE
    Like when they yell “WORLD STAR!” ?

MisTaken says:

I’m ashamed to say I got paid double my salary in one paycheck when I worked for a hospital in D.C. In my opinion, the extra money was a loan. So I went to Miami and lived it up that weekend. Needless to say, I did not get paid for an entire month after that. :coffee:

kamadiva says:

@deedee – Grand Theft…he knew the money wasn’t his and he took it anyway…they have him criminally.

:rofl: MIStake is so damn silly!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Buttercup says:

Im sure the confidence in this bank will be plummeting Very Soon.
    ========
    Unfortunately, Luvie, probably remain loyal customers. There isn’t really much around this particular branch besides the tech school, dmv, and a couple of food joints. Housing out there is sparse too. They have a good bit of locations around GA and SC. They had a pretty solid reputation before this, so people will chalk it up as a mistake.

:tape: :lol:

Needless to say, I did not get paid for an entire month after that. :coffee:

~~~~~~~~~~
    SEE, Im just shooting the breeze making funnies. BUT UMHH when it comes down to it. I know Sugar from shyte. :nono: No MAAM

Gigi26 says:

:rofl: Sandra got GOT :rofl: you can’t run with the sprite man’s money!!!

:newpost:

Buttercup says:

==========
    Thanks boo. Obviously his character wasn’t very memorable.

@SAN
    Do tell :wait: Whats so HEEE HEE Hilarious

kamadiva says:

@MissyJ – there was a white guy (can’t think of his name now), but he was more on Olivia’s level …a lawyer, I think. It was like they were in a partnership. He was engaged, but sleeping around with other women and it was catching up with him.

@Luvn, :no: But somebody aint as moral, but we mature as we age :kona:

Ok.. worked at bank. This happens from time to time. People only human.

But this kid MUST be yt! Cause when I worked there, if they could trace the error to ur account, they froze it right away, and if you spent it, they CHARGED you right away!

The fact that the sheriff goin out to “talk” and not “arrest” let me know right then this a yt kid.

Carrington says:

Nations Bank put an extra $2,800 in my account back in 1997 or something like that. For about 6 months, I refused to touch it because I just KNEWD it was a set-up.

And then… one day I was down to “my lass two dollaz”, so I said, “Well, I’ll just get $50 from the ATM and then when my check is deposited, they won’t know the difference…” they ain’t say nothin’… 30 days later, I said, “Let me get another $50, plus $50 more and see what happens…”

Nothin.

Then, I needed to play my numbers… and then I was going to a TLC concert and needed a sweater… and then I needed some gas one time… and then some CD’s came out that I had wanted… and then I went to McDonald’s a few times… and I saw a watch at The Watch Station in the mall… then I bought some scratch off’s… and then I bought some pop-on rims for my car… and then we ordered pizza to the baracks… and then daddy had a light bill due and the next thing I knew – I was broke and waiting on payday again.

Needless to say, they never caught me, and I stopped worrying.

Thank ya!!! (insert Mahalia Jackson fan here)

MSVALLDAY says:

_________________________________________________________________

Um yes they will!! Your money is insured up to a certain amount when it’s in your account. What if he spent it and couldn’t repay? Whether he goes to jail or not the bank is ultimately on the line to replace this person’s money. They can deal with the teenager on the back end.

Pretty Brown Eyes says:

I was an operations manager a few years ago for Chase dealing with situations just like this and what we did is inform the guilty party of the mistake but usually by then the money would be gone, we would advise them what would happen if they didn’t return it.In the meantime the customer would have been refunded and the guilty parties accounts would be closed and all money seized. ..any account with that persons name on it seized. If it’s not enough to pay off the amount then theY would be sued. And this is if we didn’t lock them up but normally no jail time but you will be in court.

Lodak says:

A few thoughts:
    – FDIC is a non factor since this was bank negligence.
    – Banking is a zero sum game. They’re in the business to make money—they never lose money.
    – “Write it off” is not a banking term, that money will come from somewhere.
    – I doubt ol’ girl was fired. If that money’s not returned, then it’s coming out her salary…then they’ll fire her.