Gym tells woman her ‘toned body’ intimidated the other members

Tiffany Austin

Tiffany Austin (pictured above) wanted to get back into shape after recovering from a recent car accident. So she joined a local gym after her doctor told her it was time to walk more.

But Austin says she felt “intimidated and harassed” after her first day at Planet Fitness in Richmond.

The reason? The gym staff told Austin her toned bod was intimidating to the other members.

Austin said everything started out fine on her first day earlier this week. She said she noticed the other members staring at her when she hopped on the treadmill for a quick workout. Austin said she grew self-conscious but she continued walking. That’s when a male gym staffer stopped her.

Austin recalls what he said to her: “‘excuse me we’ve had some complaints you’re intimidating people with your toned body. So can you put on a shirt?’”

Planet Fitness has a dress code policy that prohibits tank tops, midriff bearing tops or muscle shirts that would otherwise intimidate the other members.

Its website says members can get in shape without being, “subjected to the hardcore look-at-me-attitude that exists in too many gyms.”

Austin says she was wearing a tank top that showed her stomach and capri-pants and says she didn’t see anything wrong with the outfit.

After asking to see a manager, Austin says she had enough. She asked for her money back and terminated her membership.

She says her 15 minutes at Planet Fitness left her feeling intimidated and harassed.

Geovanna Borges is one of the Planet Fitness members who appreciates the dress policy.

Borges says, “it’s unfair to show off your body” because it can make other people feel bad.

• Tyrese won’t apologize for calling obese people “fat and nasty”
  • Target Under Fire for Badly Photoshopped ‘Thigh Gap’ Ads
  • Jen Selter Talks to In Touch About Her Famous Butt
  • Morning Glory: Shekinah Jo

34 Responses to “Gym tells woman her ‘toned body’ intimidated the other members”

weFukNorNah says:

She must go to a fat gym bc she is not what I consider toned…. mankofit is toned..hell my gf has obliques showing and angela Bassett arms

I knew it was planet fitness, that damn gym is a joke. What gym hands out pizza every first monday,. Chile bye

weFukNorNah says:

I was gonna say planet fitness bc they even say that in their ad… gives fat Fukks a reason to complain..hell u ain’t pay in but 10 bucks a month

JerseyGirl68 says:

Um, her body isn’t that toned. Blank stare.

Perhaps she misunderstood what they were telling her.

Jessie says:

What? Are you serious? If you are in the gym working out and you are intimidated because someone else looks better than you, you are PITIFUL! I would never join Planet Fitness! NEVER!!

weFukNorNah says:

She’s average…she could use a shirt

weFukNorNah says:

Maybe they meant to say ma’am your face is scaring the customers do you mind covering your face with a shirt

deedeegirl says:

Ridiculous. This is the dumbest crap I have ever heard. Don’t you expect to see some people in good shape when you go to the gym? It should be motivation. On the other hand I guess she should have paid closer attention to the stupid rules. I dislike gyms. The minute I join one is the minute I will stop working out. We have a gym upstairs in my house. If I cannot workout up there or outside, I am not working out.

:facepalm: are you fugging kidding me…… Complaining nation… chile we will be able to complain about the grass growing….. or how we have toe nails….. jeez……

Complain complain complain…… whiny azz folks :smack:

sassyshe says:

Lol thats pf for you

cheeks8683 says:

Man fluck those other people. They need to use her as motivation. She needs to join Gold’s Gym. Its straight up Baywatch in there and I love it. The men are GQ fine and toned!

deedeegirl says:

Cause surely I don’t want to see an out of shape person teach my aerobics class :nono: what sense does that make…. how are you going to teach me to get the weight …… when ya azz is huge :huh:

weFukNorNah says:

Ma’am your camel toe is showing

PF is so dayum stupid. Male homeboy was lifting weights and they sounded that annoying arse lunk alarm on him. He said he almost had a heart attack. It was 10 am on a Tuesday. Nooooobody was in that bish. He never went back

SummerBaby says:

I’m so sick of people whining & complaining about every little thing.

MSVALLDAY says:

weFukNorNah says:

____________________________________________________

So you clearly ain’t gonna be shyt today! LOL LOL LOL

FuturedocDonte says:

I mean the Planet Fitness commercial advertises no ” Gym-timidation” :coffee: ion see the problem here :shrug:

I think they asked her to cover up because she was violating the dress code which was posted all over the gym. She’s not that fit. :shrug:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

———
      SO because your over weight, your body not together, your tummy is still hanging over your jeans, and mine is not, it’s unfair? No, how about if I told you it is unfair that I have to look at your over weight, heavy breathing, sweaty for no reason ass. Then what? Man please. Hating ass people.

FuturedocDonte says:

In the words of my mama to my gay uncle who wore drag to the family union … ” COVER UP BISH. You know the rules” :hahaha:

Folks don’t want you to be proud of what you have. The ONLY got damn reason I don’t wear a tank to the gym is b/c it’s cold and it’s the AF gym. I can see rules against the grunting noise making and dropping weights as for the look at me attitude, but this here… I bet if they required everyone to wear what the dress code is against folks would be more confident in themselves and not go complain about something as minute as this shyt.

Wasting time says:

She violated the dress code and was asked to comply. No news here..lol

GAGIRL87 says:

I’m a proud memeber of planet fitness $10 a month no contract 24/7 hours chileee bye

Yardgirl says:

They have a dress code for a reason. Put on the darn shirt and keep it moving :coffee:

n1kk1a says:

The dress code is BS.

Carrington says:

Man, BYE!! She may be in shape, but her body is DEFINITELY not the business. Her Tisha Campbell shaped, delusional a$$ may have HEARD, “Ma’am… you’re all that and the other members of the gym are intimidated by your fine-ness…” but what they SAID was, “Ma’am, our dress code strictly prohibits the type of gym wear you have on, so we need you to wear something appropriate, and by appropriate, we mean something detailed in these here guidelines… the ones you agreed to when you signed up.”

If people in her gym are intimidated by THAT basic a$$ed body, they need some new equipment.

OpinionHated says:

She wasn’t following the rules – no mid rif baring means just that no mid rif baring… if she wants to work out in cute outfits don’t join planet fitness – why is this news… sick of people complaining about dumb chit and I agree her body is not the business toned my azz she looks hungry – I’m slim and long and depending on the store can wear anything from a 0 (Ann Taylor and her huge sizing chart) to a 4 (H&M and their European sizing chart) and even I have more hips than her

goat76 says:

No need to make a big fuss about it. They got a policy whether you agree with it or not like many other places. Either get with the program or GTFOH!

Starr says:

I think she’s lying. I think hey asked her to cover up and she made up the rest about her intimidating. And she’s not that tone btw

yvonne79 says:

Say it ain’t sooooooo :rofl:

tintin1979 says:

my gym says where proper clothing so if you can’t follow the rules, get the hell out. No one in my gym dresses like her and there are some sexy ppl at my gym