15-year-old stowaway was likely unconscious for duration of flight

15-year-old stowaway

A 15-year-old runaway survived a harrowing 5½-hour flight to Hawaii stowed away in the wheel well of a jumbo airliner on Sunday.

Aviation experts say the teen was probably unconscious soon after taking off from Mineta San Jose International Airport in California. He likely remained unconscious for most of the flight, according to the FBI.

The boy reportedly ran away from home in nearby Santa Clara after arguing with his parents. Airport surveillance video at San Jose airport captured the boy climbing a perimeter fence and approaching the Hawaiian Airlines Boeing 767. He then disappeared.

Hours later and 2,350 miles away, airline workers spotted the disoriented teen walking on the tarmac at Kahului Airport in Maui.

The teen was transported to a hospital for evaluation. Stowing away on an airliner is a felony, but no charges will be filed.

Aviation experts believe the teenager survived the near zero atmosphere at 38,000 feet cruising altitude because the extreme below-zero temperatures put him into a suspended hibernation. In other words, his body was so cold and his metabolism was so low that his cells didn’t require much oxygen.

His body thawed out hours after landing in Hawaii. Officials believe he may suffer slight brain damage from the extreme cold and lack of oxygen.

Authorities said the temperature at the jet’s cruising altitude of 38,000 feet could have dropped to 50 degrees below zero or less.

The FBI is investigating how the boy was able to bypass airport security.

• Two women caught smuggling cocaine in ‘homemade diapers’
  • Inebriated Man Who Slapped Baby On Flight Fired
  • REAL Snake On a Plane
  • Oil Rig Worker Claims He Saw Missing Malaysia Flight MH370 Go Down in Flames

54 Responses to “15-year-old stowaway was likely unconscious for duration of flight”

Matchsticks says:

it’s still a lot of skeptics weighing in on this…folks can’t believe he survived this…

Jessie says:

He is incredibly lucky to be alive. I would have been afraid of falling out once we were in the air.

I am very encapsulated in this story, I see authorities are gonna charge him

:blink: damn had to get away that bad

Buttercup says:

:blink: damn had to get away that bad
      =======
      :tape: :hahaha: I did some dumb things when I was 15. It was more along the lines of staying out late and not calling to say I would be late. By 16, I realized that it was far easier to do right that to feel the wrath of Mama Butter.

Wasting time says:

Not likely; he was. He woke up a hour later and climbed out like UM :huh: Passing out saved his darn life though!

Something was already wrong with the brain :huh: before this incident… the things people do

I meant to say NOt
      Im glad they aren’t, at this point it maybe fruitless anywayz
      If he’s brain damaged he may Be Incompetent to stand trial
      :shrug:

I wanna go to hawaii too but not that dam bad :nono: and after all of that they are still going to send his monkey ass right back home. :no:

all he got to see of hawaii was the inside of the emergency room.

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

I smell a rat on this. Just doesn’t seem possible. Sorry. God is a miracle worker but I think even He reading this story like :nono: NUCCA GONE

kamadiva says:

What was this child’s home life like that he risked dying to get away?

Did he even think about what if he fell??

and his body had to thaw out :blink: my lawd

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

I smell a rat on this. Just doesn’t seem possible. Sorry. God is a miracle worker but I think even He reading this story like NUCCA GONE
      _________

Im right there witcha but some ppl DO thaw out and be alive after getting stored away in the morgue. :(

Buttercup says:

What was this child’s home life like that he risked dying to get away?
      =======
      I’on think he knew of the dangers he was putting himself in. I don’t think he would’ve done it if someone told him he had only a 24% chance of survival.

I’m so sick of these needy azz folks in this office :no: shyt irks my soul :cry:

I sure hope FAA/FBI know that the next few “stowaways” aint gonna give a fugg if they make it to XX destination…. they gonna “stowaway” with a SUICIDE VESS ON :eek: BoomGoesDaDynamite

Just EFF WHY EYE (like Alicia Silverstone on Beauty Shop)

So they might need to figure out how the fugg this was able to happen. QUICK.

Buttercup says:

========
      :shocked: I need to read a little on this. I would think hypothermia would be one of the first ailments. When I read that he thawed out, I thought of Captain America :ashamed: I still have a lot of childish ways about me.

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

This is true.. But I am picturing his body and insides exploding like a blockbuster movie scene :rofl: Ole dramatic self

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

ME TOO …and I ain’t even seen that movie :ashamed:

kamadiva says:

@Jenie – :cosign: this chick keeps sending me emails about a $5 void on an account…that isn’t mine and I told her this several times. Imma need you to do some research cos a $5 void ain’t worth my time to even look up to see who it belongs to. Plus..just void it anyway, $5 ain’t nothing to a billion dollar company.

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

I really hate when people walk around looking for people all day. People that aren’t their bosses or don’t have a need for them. This one contractor is in the building and I swear all he does is walk around looking for people in my area. Go do some mf WORK SON :angry: Then he’ll stop and ask do I know where XYZ is… but it’s not an emergency or important… but this is the 3rd time you asked me.

Buttercup says:

ME TOO …and I ain’t even seen that movie :ashamed:
      =========
      I’ve always been interested in the comics. I was never a fanatic, but I enjoy them more now that I have Lil Butter. ComicCon was here last month, and I was so excited. Honey Dip bought us all tickets and I had my outfit laid out all neat on the bed. (It’s a big deal, y’all :ashamed: ) We get to the day before the convention, and Lil Butter wanted to show his behind at school. Honey Dip and I were both :mad: We felt like we were being punished for his misbehavior :lol:

FDA panel unanimously rejects experimental pain pill combining morphine and oxycodone:
      ~~~~
      :warning: thank the GOOD LORD, U know how many people would be dead behind this concoction.
      what is that serious U need to take a mix of this in one pill??

I haven’t given it a lot of thought, but I doubt that would help me understand why it would be so cold at higher altitudes. Isn’t the plane that much closer to the sun? Forgive me if that sounds like a stupid question. Plus if he was unconcious why didn’t he fall from the sky when the wheels came down like the little guy that tried the same thing from Charlotte?

kamadiva says:

Chile Chick up in DC wouldn’t approve an authorization for my manager travel… talm bout the rental car seemed a bit to expensive :rolleyes: and why was he getting an intermediate vehicle ….. She shoots me an email that said I need to do a justification or he would need to get a compact. Mind you there was a 2 dollars difference between the prices… These folks make damn sick in here .. for real you really bytching about 2 damn dollars and you want me to write up a memo for 2 damn dollars :facepalm: Not ! I redid the authorization and gave him a compact, then she shoots me an email again saying he could have gotten an the intermediate if I wrote up a justification :stop: fawk yo justification …. sick of the mess in here …

Buttercup says:

@Bird, it’s colder at higher altitudes because the pressure is lower. Temperature and pressure are inversely related.

I can not wait till I’m in leadership…. Like for real and I’m so serious…. :tea:

dunno but do you remember a couple years ago when that plane door opened up and all the passengers froze to death and shattered like glass? think it was greece. something about air pressure and altitudes and what not. guess the sky is cold. :shrugs:

Draya said "that's what strippers do" puppylove says:

__________________________

:eek: Lindsay Lohan when they announced the trials

:wail: Lindsay when she reads this

Matchsticks says:

_________

*shakes fist* damnit! :mad:

So they might need to figure out how the fugg this was able to happen. QUICK.

yep, this ^^^^^^ right here is my area of concern. :eek:

he lucky they aint pegged him as an african terrorist yet.

YET :tea:

kamadiva says:

@Jenie – I don’t have much drama in my office, but those folx in VA/DC can’t do a damn thing!! She asks me about this $5 every month since NOV…why do you even keep asking?!?!? There is not sign-off on voiding $5, just void it. I just reply and say, she previous email and even typing that is not worth the $5.

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

@Jenie: That would irk my soul. Justification is he fat or a big nig and need leg room :wtf: People swear it’s their money. They know daggone well most compacts at rental agencies are death traps and barely turn right. At least if you get an intermediate you know you got power steering :steer: and automatic windows. Be rolling down the window like it’s 1996 ..cause of $2

I’ve always been interested in the comics. I was never a fanatic, but I enjoy them more now that I have Lil Butter. ComicCon was here last month, and I was so excited. Honey Dip bought us all tickets and I had my outfit laid out all neat on the bed. (It’s a big deal, y’all ) We get to the day before the convention, and Lil Butter wanted to show his behind at school. Honey Dip and I were both We felt like we were being punished for his misbehavior

What outfit u wore?
      **comic nerd talkin**
      :popcorn:

@USER
      “he lucky they aint pegged him as an african terrorist yet.

YET”

Yeah, it’s coming. They will prolly charge the parents with something to try and lock someone up over this.

n1kk1a says:

It says it happened on 4/20, but that not the way to get high :winky:

Buttercup says:

Anyone else was :brokenheart: that the approval for palcohol was rescinded? I was looking forward to trying them at the pool this summer.

Buttercup says:

*********************
      Ok, that sounds like some Science. I never was crazy about that subject. I want to understand it. Maybe I’ll look it up.

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

This lady called me and emailed me asking 50-11 questions. i replied in detail. She said she needed to get back with me and check with her department. Now this trick just emailed me asking the same ish we already talked about like it was on me. I politely copied and pasted our whole previous email thread and said per our previous conversation…. Highlighted in red…. :nono: NOT TODAY. Reading is fundamental. You will not try me and make my head hurt :tea:

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

:newpost: for Man

n1kk1a says:

It says it happened on 4/20, but that not the way to get high

ohhhhh on Easter. so that nigga basically got resurrected Glo-ray be

praise em :nun: and blaze em :smoke:

Buttercup says:

What outfit u wore?
      **comic nerd talkin**
      ===========
      It was still cold, so I decided to channel Black Widow. I was going to wear black, leather leggings and a black, leather moto jacket. Lil Butter wanted me to wear my chucks that I painted The Avengers on, but we didn’t get to go. That boy of mine decided to do misconduct :wail:

I know some of yall watch GMA. You see that man in Minnesota (I think) getting charged with first degree murder for busting caps in two teens that broke in his house? Where they do that at? I don’t care if they look like homecoming king and queeen (GMA’s words), if you break in somebodies house you deserve to have them bust several caps in that azz. And how you gonna premeditate murder when you didn’t know there were coming? They are trying to fault him for laying in wait because he had been robbed so many times that he was ready this time and damn proud he got them. This was not their first burglary.

Lord deliver me from folk who WANT TO BE important! :pray:
      We had an Exec Secy who tried to get me to justify to HER why there were 3 bottles of evian water on my travel voucher :eek: i told that ewok that i don’t drink tap water when i’m home, so i’m NAT dranking it when i travel and to gone head and send my stuff to accounting before they say i submitted it late! :eek: she tried to go byke & forth about it but i finally told her the reipts were attached for the $12 per bottle, and that if ACCOUNTING had further questions, THEY could call me directly! :cuss:

kamadiva says:

Since we venting about work and dumb peeps: This sprite chick always annoys the h*ll out of me wit her emails. statng: “Kindly respond” like she has sent an email before and ain’t sent nothing. I reply to her “since this is your 1ST email, I will kindly respond in 4-6 business hours as I am in the middle of another project”.

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

Chile they have plucked my last today. I’m sneaking out the side door in a minute …. sn :newpost:

kamadiva says:

@Bird – but didn’t he store the bodies in the basement before he finally called police. I think this is why he was charged with murder.

_________________________

:claps: :thankyou:

How DUMB and where was his parents? Smh :tea:

OpinionHated says:

Last kid that tried that fell out the plane frozen to death – horrible death – fool dropped over a neighborhood – cops was like what the hell is this cracked face mess – later found he fell out the wheel weld of a plane – dumb azz kids – if my kid wanted to run away she gonna go to her auntie house…. she surely ain’t gonna tackle no chain link fence and get in a wheel weld… what a dunce….