No More White House Selfies, Thanks to Boston Red Sox Star

Boston Red Sox David Ortiz Obama selfie

The White House plans to ban visitor photos with President Barack Obama, thanks to Boston Red Sox star David Ortiz. Obama invited Ortiz and his Red Sox teammates to the White House last week to celebrate their World Series win.

Obama obliged Ortiz’s request to pose for a ‘Selfie’ taken with Ortiz’s self phone. Such selfies are normally uploaded to social media websites including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.

But Ortiz’s photo op with the president was actually part of a pre-arranged deal between Ortiz and Samsung to promote the cell phone company’s phones.

Boston Red Sox David Ortiz Obama selfie

Ortiz signed his endorsement deal with Samsung 2 month ago. After the Red Sox slugger tweeted the photo, Samsung retweeted the image to its 5 million followers.

During an appearance on CBS’s Face the Nation, White House senior advisor Dan Pfeiffer said Obama was not aware of Ortiz’s deal with Samsung.

“Well, he obviously didn’t know anything about Samsung’s connection to this,” he said. “And perhaps maybe this will be the end of all selfies.”

He added: “We’ve had conversations with Samsung about this and expressed our concerns.”

Pfeiffer did not elaborate on the content of the discussions when asked by host Bob Schieffer.

But White House press secretary Jay Carney did not mince his words.

“As a rule, the White House objects to attempts to use the president’s likeness for commercial purposes,” Carney said. “And we certainly object in this case.”

In his defense, Ortiz claims the selfie was “spontaneous” and not part of his lucrative deal with Samsung.

49 Responses to “No More White House Selfies, Thanks to Boston Red Sox Star”

MsOnederful says:

When will these biebers learn lol.. Morning Roses!

aRoTh says:

I swanny, folks can’t do NOTHIN’ these days w/o an uproar or :ban: to follow.

:facepalm: everything is a advertisement these days damn

Wasting time says:

:hi: Roses

Leave it to the REDSOX to ruin selfies at the White House… SMH
    #YankeesAllDay

A.J. says:

I’ve never understood why two men feel the need to take selfies. :tea:

User Friendly says:

A.J. says:

I’ve never understood why two men feel the need to take selfies.

not sure whats wrong with men taking selfies but whatever it is gets put to the side when you meet Obama. you can even go ahead and show all your back teeth. Thats the first black president right there! :woohoo: shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Chelle514 says:

Good morning all, have a great day :winky:

A.J. says:

I’ve never understood why two men feel the need to take selfies.

I guess its the new in thing. I don’t understand men taking a gang of selfies myself. :tea: I can see maybe one or two …. but my goodness :coffee: leave that to the ladies and kiddies

zurishay says:

I think this is a coincidence. I hope they didn’t expect that man to have an ole big faced green screen Nokia playing the snake game. If he happens to have an updated phone its because they endorse him. Duh…That’s like saying Beyoncé cant drink Pepsi at the white house. : shrugs:

Matchsticks says:

hmmm, this is a tough one, but I can see how he made this look like the prez was supporting Samsung…ehhh, oh well…

Afiya says:

Why EVERYTHING gotta be politico :facepalm: GEEZ, a selfie w/the POTUS is a big deal, and a once in a life-time occurance, why rain on their parade :smh: RI-DAMN-DYC-U-LOUS!!! :angry:

Samsung F’d up by retweeting it.. I really dont think this had anything to do with His endorsement deal, samsung just saw an opportunity and USED IT…

And I seriously dont have an issue with men taking selfies, as long as they not doing the duck lips I dont see the problem :shrugs:

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

User are we frens? :huh:
    :whistle: I guess I’ll see you next life time … Maybe we’ll be butterflies ….

I think I am about to head to publix and get me a sandwich :thinking: before it gets crowded

MrsJB says:

A.J. says:

I’ve never understood why two men feel the need to take selfies.

I was at the movies this weekend and there was two guys taking selfies all during the previews… :lol:

Buttercup says:

Morning y’all :hi: I’m not sure if Ortiz planned this, but Samsung definitely capitalized on it.

Buttercup says:

=========
    :wail: Why must you break my heart, Jenie? There’s so much food I miss, and Publix subs is at the top of my list.

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Good Morning People!

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

*fights Jenie’s air* :karate: There ain’t no Publix near me :wails:

No More selfies in General should be the new IT THing

nybrn2 says:

GM roses…. Why lord can’t the selfie be great! I know if I was at the White House I’d be smiling for days!! Samsung should have obtained permission prior to using said photo!!!

Side note—-Finally watched Scandal and watching Mellie slap the fire outta Fitz made my day!!!! :)

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

__________________________
    Right :lol:
    As long as you aren’t taking multiple ones. Striking poses. Or are shirtless. Or are Eddie Long-ing it. Or you smizing. There are levels to it :yes:

User Friendly says:

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

User are we frens?
    I guess I’ll see you next life time … Maybe we’ll be butterflies ….

:lol: anytime someone asks that question the answer is probably no.

but in this case…. :yes: we are all friends, right? :)

nybrn2 says:

@ Jenie— Everybody knows if you don’t get to Publix early… Well….you may never get that sub!! :)

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

User :stop: No we are all not friends. Didn’t you get the memo? We about cliques and ish :rofl:
    Lemme stop. There are NO CLIQUES ON SR! WE ARE A BLOG FAMILY. LIKE A GIANT TREE. REACHING OUT TO THE SKY.
    I was trying to be slick and figure something out but you don’t wanna behave :spank: That’s ok. I will figure you out :huh:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

Did any of you guys watch any of the following last night, and if so, can I get a recap of it? Thanks

Once Upon A Time
    Married to Medicine
    …I’m not sure if I even want ot hear about RHOA, because…I just don’t care that much about them, but feel free.

Nakeya_J says:

:yahoo:

Draya said "that's what strippers do" puppylove says:

Good morning roses. It’s probably in Ortiz contract with Samsung that they can use all his social media accounts. So he probably wasn’t thinking when he posted it but Samsung was on top of it like :pc:

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

__________________________
    Right

Exactly :lol: We need selfies without them how will MOFOS post their FB profile PIC :shrugs:

“hey my ni99a, take this pic of me right quick so I can make this my profile pic.. You know a Ni99a dont be doin them selfies man, dont wanna look like a bish”

Buttercup says:

Married to Medicine
    =========
    :yes: I watched whilst tidying up my place a little. I enjoyed M2M more than RHOA this week. I’m just ready for The Following tonight :woohoo:

Draya said "that's what strippers do" puppylove says:

Did anyone watch Game of Thrones last night? :karate:

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

@Buttercup SO what happened on M2M? Why is Mariah and Quad no longer friends? Is Mariah still acting like God’s gift to everything? Is her momma still a hag? :tea:

User Friendly says:

Draya said “that’s what strippers do” puppylove says:

yeah thats prolly what happened but who is getting a Samsung when they are about to come out with the Iphone 6? :huh: now if it was Obama’s phone then maybe but we all know the prez doesnt have a regular android. c’mon now.

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

Keya: check the post below. Me and Gigi addressed M2M. I will bless you with one nugget:
    Quad: She don’t love her fat and effeminate husband. She told the world he farts in his sleep. She said (State Farm voice) He smells hideous. She doesn’t want to have his baby right now even though she is not working and they have been married a year. I said it’s because she doesn’t want to have another big boned bish in the house that isn’t her or her dogs.
    I also want Quad and Mariah to stop with the over the top queen talk. We get it. You love the kids. It’s old and childish.
    On a side note why are most the kids skinty and malnutrioned looking? Like their face is snatched.. but not in a good way. Like snatched in a forever wind tunnel. Except for EJ…Derek J… Lawrence ….. maybe I spoke too soon….

Buttercup says:

=========
    I’ono, Keya. When Mariah said she made Quad, that really burned my biscuits. I can’t believe that Mariah’s mom and sister actually cosign her foolishness.

I know that some people feel that Dr. Jackie was rude to the plus size beauty queen, but I don’t. She was just trying to educate her that being overweight is rarely healthy, and heart disease is the leading killer of black women. I’m still working on my tact, so I can see myself having the same delivery.

can we talk about MARRIED TO MEDICINE… THEY Got my two favorite homegirls Mariah & Quad against each other not.. MANUFACTORED CRISIS

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

EGGZACKLY. Then Ricky gotta stand in front of Craig like :winky: Wait hole up dude you snapped too fast :stop: I wasn’t even smiling yet :grin: Showing all his byke teeth.

User Friendly says:

Is her momma still a hag? :tea:

Buttercup says:

Dr. Jackie was throwing shade to Dr. Heavenly though. When Jackie made the comment about speaking about cardiovascular issues- not an abscess, I :ghost: a little.

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

I don’t know why Mariah and Quad are not friends. Seems like it might be made for tv but I could see it being real a little because when fame and money get involved people show their true colors often. And they both are spotlight hungry. Mariah is a waste of pretty. Quad… is a waste of personality if she doesn’t play her cards right. And as for Mariah’s mom Lucy “Smoke a Straight Shooter Bish” I have never seen a women so intent on trying to live off their own child. She wants to be Kris Jenner so bad :no: The sad part is she looks and acts like a sock puppet and just in general is unpleasant to be around. I do not like her spirit. I do not condone violence but I think I would have to :sissy claw: her just to show her who was boss. And is it me or does it seem like maybe Mariah and her sister Lake are intentionally trying to breed with others for the sake of their children and social climbing? Could be me making assumptions.

____________________________________

I dont agree. There is a time and place for everything. And that was neither the time nor the place. Some people need to learn how to turn it off and on because at the end of the day people dont want to hear it and they will do what they want to do. All she did was come off looking out of order, giving out unsolicited advice. At least take the woman to the side or give the chick your card…

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

I don’t know why Mariah and Quad are not friends. Seems like it might be made for tv but I could see it being real a little because when fame and money get involved people show their true colors often. And they both are spotlight hungry. Mariah is a waste of pretty. Quad… is a waste of personality if she doesn’t play her cards right. And as for Mariah’s mom Lucy “Smoke a Straight Shooter Bish” I have never seen a women so intent on trying to live off their own child. She wants to be Kris Jenner so bad The sad part is she looks and acts like a sock puppet and just in general is unpleasant to be around. I do not like her spirit. I do not condone violence but I think I would have to :sissy claw: her just to show her who was boss. And is it me or does it seem like maybe Mariah and her sister Lake are intentionally trying to breed with others for the sake of their children and social climbing? Could be me making assumptions.
    ——————–
    First off who is Mariah’s daddy? Cuz her the momma and the sister don’t look nothing alike. Second, I would never call someone’s momma ugly…but her momma is ugly. Looks like someone just tries to dress her up. She seems real hateful. And I agree with you, both Mariah and the sister are just breeding to get a come up. Bet money Mariah momma had to tell her to marry that man. I honestly feel like Mariah is very fake and extra. Her and Quad. And as soon as Quad husband finds out she is really not trying to have a baby, she better be ready to be alone. Mind you, she is not cute either!!!! Chile boo and bye.

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

@Buttercup Mariah made Quad into what?! Because she is not cute, and she is very extra and it’s annoying. SO Mariah may want to go back and try it again. Mariah is annoying as hell. Who are you to think you made someone, when clearly man you married is the ONLY reason you are who you are. Bish we see yo struggling looking momma. You can’t “make” anyone, when your only come up is your damn husband. Girl please.

OpinionHated says:

I’m from Boston so David Ortiz can do no wrong KILL SAMSUNG!!! lol

I don’t know what show you guys are talking about with Mariah but does anybody watch Game of Thrones – Sandra can you do a Game post so we can comment on last nighst season opener… puuhhhllllleeeeaaassseeeeeeeeeee

JerseyGirl68 says:

When is this guy’s term up? He is an embarrassment.

likeCaesar says:

A.J. says:

I’ve never understood why two men feel the need to take selfies.

^^^
    Is this a new rule in the black masculinity handbook?

1 Pingbacks