Petition Protests ‘Racist’ New Army Hair Regulations

New Army Hair Regulations Racist, Petition Says

The military’s efforts to regulate unkempt Afrocentric hairstyles is drawing flack from natural hair enthusiasts.

The Army’s new regulations ban twists, cornrows and dreadlocks or dreads. The Army prepared a poster illustrated with photos of the banned hairstyles in an amendment to Army Regulation 670-1. The new rules go into effect on Monday.

TV One’s Roland Martin (“News One Now”) joined a panel of black female current and former soldiers to debate the Army’s ban on Afrocentric hairstyles.

One of the women, Sgt. Jasmine Jacobs of the Georgia National Guard, griped about the inconvenient new regulations that bans her stylish twists and forces her to learn how to style her hair differently.

“It kind of left me wondering what can I do with my hair,” said Jacobs with a straight face.

“I’ve been in the military six years, I’ve had my hair natural four years, and it’s never been out of regulation. It’s never interfered with my head gear,” she said in The Army Times.

Jacobs created a White House petition to protest the new hair regulations. Jacobs hopes to get President Obama’s attention and enough signatures to force the Army to reverse its decision.

But the Army counters that Afrocentric hairstyles are personal grooming choices that are not consistent with the Army’s standards of uniformity. Hairstyles that promote a soldier’s personal beliefs or traditions are simply not allowed.

“Many hairstyles are acceptable, as long as they are neat and conservative,” said regulation-spouting Army spokesman Paul Prince.

He said the new rules are “necessary to maintain uniformity within a military population.”

In other words, you’re in the Army now, ladies. You must assimilate and learn to follow rules.

201 Responses to “Petition Protests ‘Racist’ New Army Hair Regulations”

This is utterly ridiculous.

San ah make ya dance says:

:yawn:

San ah make ya dance says:

Today aint a good day and I don’t want to sound racists today. Imma drink this :tea:

Tea Is Finally Here says:

Yea im feeling some type of way about this here! Have they also banned bleached blonde hair and those Guido gelled up styles?

Ms Peaches says:

Whats the reason behind this? Can you hide a weapon in the kinky twist?

anw_rootbeer says:

hairstyle is apart of the uniform so to speak so I guess I agree

sassyshe says:

The army is about conforming to set standards, I cant disagree with them.

Just Looking says:

Dagum.

No offense as army brat, Former Officers Wife; if they are doing this, then they need to :stop: letting them White Chics and White High Ranking Officials from

Hoeing, Cheating and Tricking

I wonder what up tight Administrative Personnel came up with this BS

the army isn’t about individuality … even though This new rule has me feeling some type of way..it is what it is.

Tea Is Finally Here says:

See this kind of stuff is why I could never be in the military… I likes my freedom. The military is starting to sound like jail. Ill pass.

Just Looking says:

@Sassy – Well since you brought it up, there are some that need to be ashamed. Like didn’t you look at your UNIFORM when you left the barracks this morning? :tea:

Tea Is Finally Here says:

Have they also banned bleached blonde hair and those Guido gelled up styles?

Yes, they are banned. Some people have a problem with conforming to standards that don’t allow personal expression. The Army is not the platform for personal expression. If you want to wear hair weaves and twists and dreads, the Army is not the place for you. :nono:

San ah make ya dance says:

Hoeing, Cheating and Tricking
    ——————-
    Hmmph :tea:

Buttercup says:

Oh boy! The dreaded hair talk….

weFukNorNah says:

My gf agrees/.shes a drill sargeant and she said ppl don’t take pride in serving anymore. She said some females show up with stilletto nails and bright colors in their hair. Theres nothing fashionable about being in the military… put that in a ponytail. If dreadlocks aren’t technically allowed neither should twist.. ponytail … two braids… or a fade lol

San ah make ya dance says:

Fugg em. I wouldn’t dare go to none of that shyt :tea:

Just Looking says:

Take Care
    +++++++++++++++
    Good Morning Ms. Sandra :waves:
    Fixed that for you…

sassyshe says:

@just looking I agree there are certain jobs where you are supposed to look a certain way and be a certaun way. If you cant follow some of those mundane rules they obviously its not the job for you

bnatural says:

They still allow braids, they just have to be smaller and show less scalp….I hate that twists aren’t allowed…

As a natural, I wear my hair in twists about 99% of the time…it’s so much more convenient….

weFukNorNah says:

And as for men.. Some get away with it but you are supposed to have the T.I bald fade.. temp fade or buzz cut.. Some men walk around with the burst fade mo hawks or whatever.. Being in the military is about following rules..Why join if you want to make up your own rules.. My grandfather does not allow women or men to come into his establishment dressed any kind of way and they respect that… They don’t have to work there

Hearts~n~Kisses says:

:kona: Spoke my thoughts on this yesterday and they still remain.

Buttercup says:

I don’t think it’s about being fashionable for a lot of these soldiers. I found a little piece of zen yesterday. I hope I can keep aholdt to it.

weFukNorNah says:

Meant to say ..you better learn how to rock..two braids.. a fade… micros or a ponytail..

The Army should just shave their heads so nobody has to look at their offensive hair! (Then, MAYBE the Army can focus on protecting all of its female soldiers from being attacked and raped by their comrades-in-arms… and maybe even focus on swift and decisive punishment for the perpetrators when those protections fail… but NOT BEFORE successfully regulating ‘those’ women and ‘that’ hair because they are clearly a menace and must be dealt with as a matter of national security! :sarcasm: (or nah?))

Mornting! *sips the koolaid w/San :tea:

OpinionHated says:

I don’t see the problem with regulating appearances when you’re in a visible role. It’s no different than having professionals cover up tattoes… if you want to wear ethnic hairstyles go into a profession that allows it..

Carrington says:

As a veteran who spent many a day with women of color who have to get creative with their hair – I disagree with this.

For one, the MEN who make these decisions (read: fat, white men who don’t understand, or care to understand black hair) are far removed from the people that these regs actually affect.

White women get to wear their hair however ther choose as long as they can pin it up. With these regulations, sisters are forced to “choose” between a few ‘dos.

I’ve been deployed, TDY, or in the field with sisters for weeks at a time, and many opted for braids etc out of necessity.

This policy sucks.

Tt says:

The military isn’t the place for individualism. Men can’t be rocking long hair & a beard, can they? Same idea. Don’t like it- move along.

San ah make ya dance says:

———–
    Chile :phew: Hey girl :waves:

Hearts~n~Kisses says:

And this is why I agree! :applause:

weFukNorNah says:

When you see every other countries military you see how in unison they are? We shouldn’t be any different.. Not downing the army but they are the leftovers anyway..

says:

And the natural hair war wages on :tea:

Hey yall :hi:

Torae says:

When you enter the military you NO LONGER BELONG TO YOU! YOU ARE MILITARY PROPERTY! Don’t like it, get out of the military or don’t join! They have rules for everything put that hair in a bun and keep it moving….

says:

:rollseyes:

I’da never made it in the military. Assimilation doesn’t suit me. Rebel from birth :tea:

weFukNorNah says:

My gf wears her hair in a bun for drill.. no make up.. Plain Jane… She strips herself of who she is for those 2 days.. We all strip ourselves for work.. My grandfather hates tats..So I spend hours covering my tats up when I worked there. I have to respect that… Its his place

San ah make ya dance says:

:rollseyes:

————–
    :cosign: goes to fluff my twist out :rolleyes:

:huh:
    Stupid rules are stupid.

Has nothing to do with “expression” or any of that chit. These “approved” hair do’s aren’t convienent or comfortable for minority women.

That makes them less effective at their job. That alone makes the rule stupid. Are the people that made these rules within the weight parameters of soldiers that could possibly be deployed? :think:

:waves:

Chile, don’t mind me; i just walked into the bldg, so i’m tweaking off that pollen :snort: :hahaha:

Hearts~n~Kisses says:

:waves: <— Rehab brochure for Nancy. :lol:

sassyshe says:

The army is about conforming to set standards, I cant disagree with them.

It’s funny that they never wear their hair in twists or cornrows and whatnot until they get accepted into the Army. Then they start complaining about the rules and regulations. If they can’t follow rules they should work at Burger King or McDonald’s where the rules are more lax. :coffee:

Gigi26 says:

I don’t think they’re asking for too much but I get where the problem lies.

Lookie here. Becky and Alessandra don’t have the isssues black women would have cuz when its time to put that damn uniform on they do what they’re supposed to do when it comes to their hair. The Military ain’t asking for a fukkin relaxer or jherri curl folks. They just said tweak the shyt.

You signed the dotted line, you bet follow them rules to go back to civilian life. There’s lots of things I don’t understand with the Military that the beau explains to me, Look at the Military in any other country and the rules are just that, the rules.

Hell even in the African Army/Police force, the women have to wear their hair a certain way. UNIFORMITY shall not be questioned, but followed. If you can’t deal with it, better find you another job :tea:

And this is coming from a natural haired woman :tea:

Just Looking says:

:waves: @ Nancy :happy:

Carrington says:

It’s all about cohesion until YOU show up at work tomorrow & there’s a new rule that says, “Take that blonde/burgundy $hit out your head! Mrs. Levowitz doesn’t like it.”

San ah make ya dance says:

Are the people that made these rules within the weight parameters
    ————-

says:

:angry: that damn nappy hair is SO offensive aint it? Just rude as hell. It dont lay down & blow in the wind. Got the nerve to look like wool! Iono WHAT God was thinking when he burdened us with this disrespectful hair. One day lil black babies gone be born with lil tubes of relaxer to make up for HIS mistake :eek: :phew: :thankyou:

Gigi26 says:

Yep @Wefuk: when my man goes to drill he knows what time it is, shyt hair cut n clean shaven :yes:

Its only in UNIFORM I believe so I don’t see what the problem is :shrugs: When you’re off duty, you do what the fukk you like. When you’re ON DUTY, you better look like everybody else :tea:

Buttercup says:

Comparing the U.S. military to the military in other countries is a moot point. Other countries aren’t a melting pot that is the U.S. Heck, women can’t even serve in the military in a lot of countries.

Why is it that the soldiers must conform? Why can’t those making the regulations respect the fact that one size does not fit all? The intolerance for those who are inherently different is my issue.

Hearts~n~Kisses says:

Gigi26 says:

I don’t think they’re asking for too much but I get where the problem lies.

:coffee: :peace:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Go read what Carrington just posted. For once I agree with him.

They don’t start until they get there out of necessity. In the field for weeks at a time. Deployed until who knows when.

Next they will complain that the Army won’t pay for their butt and breast implants. :coffee:

weFukNorNah says:

I don’t work because I dont like rules. I’d rather work for myself so Mrs. Levowitz or Mr. Henkles can’t tell me chit but do you want it in your checking or savings

User Friendly says:

they should just give everybody the same exact buzz cut and call it a day.

San ah make ya dance says:

—————–
    :hahaha: Why do I love this! :heart:

If they can’t follow rules they should work at Burger King or McDonald’s where the rules are more lax. :tea:

_________________________

:smirks: (she don’t mean it)

Carrington says:

Quit your livelihood because they changed the rules that ONLY affect the black women AGAIN? This wasn’t standard when they joined – it changed.

Big difference.

San ah make ya dance says:

:hug: Jenie

weFukNorNah says:

Last time I checked there was no more military drafts.. YOu chose to go..

Not everybody can wear a bun.

I vote that all the natural sistas just show up daily looking like Big Ben Wallace and Frederick Douglass by the head and then see what they say.

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

…see I agree but then I don’t. Listen, the Army rules are the rules and you made the choice to sign up, so…yeah. The Army does not have to conform to you, when you went to them looking for a job and wanting to be apart. But again, I see why people are mad.

Higher Up : Why do you look like Frederick Douglass by the head?
    Army Lady: Yall told me to conform, to be professional, and take my twists out. So I DID.

Fayyyyyyy. Im looking for ya. :love:

Ms Peaches says:

Its only in UNIFORM I believe so I don’t see what the problem is When you’re off duty, you do what the fukk you like. When you’re ON DUTY, you better look like everybody else

——————————————————–
    Yup, I agree. Do what you like on your own down time.

:waves: GoodLooking!

:rofl: Gone on somewhere Fay (fore somebody be outchere tryna patent newborn relaxer kits)! :rofl:

Lupeetah, pollen is “natural” …would you have me cut off my nose as a form of rehab? :snort: :hahaha:

Big difference
    ________

:eek:

I rem my aunt being in Kuwait and they hired..they, THE ARMY hired African braiders on base. So weird.

Anyway I think its about lessening the numbers. :tea:

weFukNorNah says:

I’m glad they don’t want us in their military… Let them send their sons and daughters

Buttercup says:

The regulations changed AFTER many people signed on the dotted line.

they should just give everybody the same exact buzz cut and call it a day.
    _________

No because that would call attn to the women for looking different. And arent buzz cuts against regs for women. GI Jane was fake. :lol:

weFukNorNah says:

And its not like half of them really care to check whats going on in their head…all bases are different..some officers are chill.. Trust as long as you dont look like BAPS they wont bother u…least in GA they don’t

How is one supposed to get that touch up tho? :hahaha:

Rem hair cant be more than 2″ off the head..which def shows they know nothing about how Black hair grows.

The regulations changed AFTER many people signed on the dotted line.

Mannie mannie ppl who are brown. :lol:

We NEED them to go b.c agane as @Rws stated there is NO draft. So if they are willing to fight and want to serve the country….why are they singling out a detail such as HAIR? Them yt boys been able to wear them buzz cuts for 50 years in the service.

“You have to go to war with the army you have, not the army you want.” ~ Donald Rumsfeld

Just Looking says:

:waves: @ Jenie
    @Dubb – Maybe it’s a ploy for black women to disengage and stop joining the military.

Maybe some will be like I MUST wear braids this NEW unacceptable hair style.

The bottom line it isn’t “our” world. Rules change all the time, you could at one time drive and talk on your cell. But they changed it.

Things change, fortunately “joining” the military is option. My father wanted me to “join” the army. However, the 18 years under his roof, was enough Boot Camp for my life.

Either they conform to “new rules” wait there time out and not re-up. The “white rule” makers aren’t in the business of making black happy.

There are so many issues to focus on.

I swear to gawd you need to change that gravi :hahaha:

____________________________

:think: you still talkin bout ‘Us’ or ‘others’???

Gigi26 says:

When they put them benefits on the line, we’ll see who will follow them rule :tea:

=========
    If I rock a wash and go and throw my bonnet on at night, I wake up looking JUST like Frederick Douglas. I feel like I should deliver an oratorical speech.

Just Looking says:

Anyway I think its about lessening the numbers. :tea:
    _________
    GET out my head! :hug: Morning

Nancy Drew says:

The Army is the perfect example of a social experiment gone wrong. You can’t put two sexes in close proximity with each other and not expect man’s natural animal extinct to take over. Women do not belong in the army. :coffee:

____________________________

same with the police officers these days. I saw one with acrylic nails, talking on her cell phone, and wearing a skin tight uniform. who? who I say? was she about to run after and catch? mind you she was on the subway. :rolleyes:

lol@ otb

Tt says:

Serving in the military isn’t “comfortable” or “convenient”….
    The hair regulation wasn’t the only one in the list just released that was recently updated.
    It also concerned tattoos, fingernails & makeup.
    No more neck, face, head, wrist, hand or finger tattoos. No more than 4 visible tattoos below elbow or knee & must be smaller than the hand. Plus no more sleeve and full calf tattoos. I believe even the soldiers grandfathered in will not be able to go officer or warrant. That’s a little more sweeping than the hairstyle mandate…

Sometime I wonder if people really know what racist means. Requiring everyone to have naturally occurring blonde hair or blue eyes is racist. A rule on how to cut your hair isn’t.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Until I go in there and meet up with that curl custard and put some twists in my head….Imma KEEP looking like Freddy (Douglas not Krueger).

I am working from home today.

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

:offtopic: Speaking of rules….the rule here is that NO music can be on. Why, I don’t know. I think that’s stupid but whatever. However, I’m at the front desk, and this girl has on this rap station on Pandora all loud, and it’s cussin. Mind you it’s the one who think she has the at work boyfriend. Man listen….my morning has not been right at all.

@SANDRA
    “Next they will complain that the Army won’t pay for their butt and breast implants. ”

I would support this! Bet they won’t ever have to worry about enrollment numbers!

Then we wouldn’t have these women having trannys putting cement in they azzes either.

I don’t work because

:stop: stop right there! we don’t want to hear from you or anyone else who doesn’t (have to) work!!!!!! please take your comments to NB, y b f, or MTO – GO NOW!
    j/k :hug: hug my neck! #NoMellieFangaThough :nono:

_________

This is a correlation fail tho. All of that is unnatural.

My hair growing out into a bush that just will not lay flat before it even thinks about growing down is natural.

The rule is not applied evenly. A certain segment of the population is disproportionately affected. That is the only problem.

Buttercup says:

Uniforms, acrylic nails, tattoos, piercings, etc. do not occur naturally on the human body. Hair does. European colonization really did a number on us.

Your girlfriend sounds like a sensible woman. :yes:

Gigi26 says:

It also concerned tattoos, fingernails & makeup.
    ———————————————
    :thankyou: Cuz this is very MINOR to the rest of this here.

I think they’re getting on the tats cuz of gang affiliation. Easy way to deny em :yes:

______

I hate to laugh :lol: :hahaha:

Tt says:

Corporate jobs have appearance standards/rules all the time.
    You have to dress in business attire, no shorts, no facial hair, etc.

Just Looking says:

@SANDRA
    Umm military spouses (wives_ write complain for breast reductions and gastric bypass.

And get them, tax payers be on the hook for BS

Women do not belong in the army.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Your home country of the UK had women in the military long before we did no? Late 1600’s-early 1700’s in the Royal Navy if I am not mistaken.

San ah make ya dance says:

European colonization really did a number on us.
    ———-
    My throat is dry :tea:

Gigi26 says:

:cosign: I’m glad I wrote this post. There are some level headed, logical thinkers among us. I’m taking notes on who the rebels and nonconformists are. :)

SJ says:

_________

This is a correlation fail tho. All of that is unnatural.

by OutsidetheBox on Apr 3, 2014 at 11:16 am
    ————————————————————-
    OTB, agreed. :coffee:

I guess the the ladies will have to “deal”

:woohoo: Everybody in everybody head.

And the Gubment is numma one. :hahaha:

San ah make ya dance says:

I’m taking notes on who the rebels and nonconformists are. :)
    ————–
    All make the world go round and round :thankyou:

Women do not belong in the army.

:nono: not taking the bait today…. :hi:
    *heads outside for another ‘hit’ :kona: :snort:

spiceykay says:

I know plenty of women that are Veterans and when they had to go fight they all had braids or twist because that is what made sense for them. While I understand wanting to be uniformed the fact that they would rather have a woman with a wig on instead of twists seems way too disturbing. Some people don’t really know how to do their own hair so imagine what some of the woman would look like with no perm or products in the field for a long time. Braids and twist would win.

Just Looking says:

I’m taking notes on who the rebels and nonconformists are. :)
    This tickled me. *giggles

I’m taking notes on who the rebels and nonconformists are. :)

*Fist high and tight in the air* :tea:

And no apologies! I love you dear but you also think my single mom-ness makes me less than…so Im cool being on the other side of this one. :lol:

I’m taking notes on who the rebels and nonconformists are
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Put me at the top of the list.

TYIA

_________________________

:lol: Do tell Keya. What other foolishness they got going on at your job? :popcorn:

Gigi26 says:

Wait so a sista that has twists can’t get braids? I’m lost on that one there…..

And there are three diff hair styles in that pic..one of a white woman with dookie braids, one with a sista with a slick back and one with twists.

weFukNorNah says:

Last time I checked there was no more military drafts.. YOu chose to go..

Exactly. And you choose to agree with the rules when you signed up. Sista Jasmine would get a honorable discharge if I was her commanding sergeant. :coffee:

Corporate jobs have appearance standards/rules all the time.
    You have to dress in business attire, no shorts, no facial hair, etc.

*wiggles toes in flops* Greetings from Sunny Florida..

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

I love you dear but you also think my single mom-ness makes me less than
    ———–
    *heads on over to the single momma corner, even though I don’t like OTB *sticks toung out* :hug: sike naw. :kona:

Buttercup says:

Yes, corporate employers have appearance standards, but if I’m told I cannot wear my hear in my neat 2 strand twists, I would have a problem with that. Just because my employer may not be able to wear his/her hair in that style without the use of rubberbands doesn’t mean that it isn’t professional.

weFukNorNah says:

I can’t stand people who work places and complain about company rules..

Your girlfriend sounds like a sensible woman. :yes:

:warning: watch yo back rwilli :tea:

*passes the peas*

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

*wiggles toes in flops* Greetings from Sunny Florida..
    ————-
    See this right here is why I don’t like her. Don’t nobody care that you get to wear flip flops while some of us are still in jackets and hoodies….UGH!! lol

Gigi26 says:

When they put them benefits on the line, we’ll see who will follow them rule

:lol: I understand exactly what you are saying but at the same time it sounds like sharecropping, or wage slavery, or whatever the hipsters call it today.

weFukNorNah says:

This lady that works for my grandfather thought she was gonna come to work with bantu knots….lookin like crazy eyes from orange is the new black..Needless to say she is now wearing a wig during working hours

Women do not belong in the army.

Somebody do the washing and cleaning Sandra.

Are sistas generally freidnly with each other in service? Maybe they can get one to do all the braiding. :lol:

The Africans charge you what about 250 for tight braids..tight meaning, no big spaces, all the same size, etc, basically the only braids that would fit regs besides a french braid, am i correct?

If you can braid your own hair like that, God Bless YOU! and leave the army now and go get RISH cause you the chit. :yes:

White women or women with flat hair, you keep your 250 in your pocket and thanks for your service and your awesome recessive genes. :eyeroll: Or is it dominant? IDK. :lol:

If you work for a company and they have certain standards then :tea: yeah .. you have to follow them, point blank.. If you don’t follow them then yes you can be replaced. There is always someone out there that can replace that azz :tea: always

Corporate jobs have appearance standards/rules all the time.
    You have to dress in business attire, no shorts, no facial hair, etc.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I am straight up in this bish looking crazy right now. I got on some sweatpants, a white wife beater, some of them beauty supply sto’ houseshoes, and I LUK LAK FREDDY DOUGLAS BY THE HEAD.

:dead:

_________

That was mean. :lol: :hug:

weFukNorNah says:

Military has lost its way..it’s full of dykes and queens…and court ordered thugs…

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

Women do not belong in the army.
    Somebody do the washing and cleaning Sandra.

My father said this, about women being in the army… :tea:

——————————————
    Real Employment check>>>>>>Unemployment check. She know what time it was huh :rofl:

:hahaha: The major point was that I am in a very corporate environment. Like the menz folk have “recommendations” to wear ties until June. That is when we get business casual. :lol:

Gigi26 says:

it’s full of dykes and queens…and court ordered thugs…
    —————————-
    No lie when I was fukkin with this low life (sorry gotta call em how I see em) he said the Military was the ONLY way out for some niggas in the hood on their last strike :lol: Said one nigga was being sought out by dem boys and he signed right the hell on up!

But a lot of em get dishonorably discharged so yeah :hahaha:

__________________________

hell, the other day my boss said “I love your bouffant today :thumbsup: ” but it wasnt no bouffant. :no: it was just a raggely ass ponytail that i didnt comb all the way thru. first i was like Thanks :) then I was all waaaaiiit a minute :cuss:

beauty supply sto’ houseshoes

:dead: :rofl: I went in one the other day and I saw gladiator sandals and ankle boots and everythang! The BSS is not playing with us!

And when your braids get fuzzy in the field? You instantly become unprofessional? Its just not well thought out.

but it wasnt no bouffant.

Omgawd :rofl:

Naw @OTB. Them shoes that got the caged in mesh toes and the flower on top….and that come folded into each other in the plastic sleeve. They be filed in a BIG ARSE box by color and size. THEM JOINTS.

========
    :lol: with you not at you.

Chinese slippas :rofl:

@JENIE
    “Women do not belong in the army.
    Somebody do the washing and cleaning Sandra.

My father said this, about women being in the army…
    ________________________

Wise man…

Nakeya_J or Keke thanks to Unshake says:

@OTB You know I love your font!!! lol.

not the chinese slippers, who dat :nono: :rofl:

and Im adding OTB and Buttercup to my very own list for laughing at my “bouffant” . ol non-conformist asses :rules:

What kind of wig is it? The style, I mean?

Bantu knots are traditionally worn by Africans so I can see how your gdad was turned off. Old habits die hard. But what did her bantu knots have to do with the dead? Bantu knots in the military are silly; your head would hurt from the helmet. But bantu knots with no helmet, is just a matter of whether one thinks the style is attractive or not, imo. And yes you axed for my opinion. You just dont know it! :lol: But i really wanna know what she replaced the style with? :lol:

@GIGI
    “it’s full of dykes and queens…and court ordered thugs…
    —————————-
    No lie when I was fukkin with this low life (sorry gotta call em how I see em) he said the Military was the ONLY way out for some niggas in the hood on their last strike Said one nigga was being sought out by dem boys and he signed right the hell on up!”

That’s so true! So many of my friends from High School wound up in the armed services. I ain’t mad tho, cause a lot of them woulda been dead or locked up without it.

But after they did away with the draft, they started recruiting people basically with no future or no plan for a future. Not all, but a lot. (why they got so many nutcases)

=======
    Awwww, bring it in sugar :hug: I only laughed because I have had an unintentional bouffant.

Oh I got chu Dubb I was just saying they have added to their offerings in a big way. Like they straight up branched out :rofl:

sassyshe says:

Corporate jobs have appearance standards/rules all the time.
    You have to dress in business attire, no shorts, no facial hair, etc.
    ———————————-
    Sure do and some corporations would pay for you to get your hair done to. I remember my mom saying she didn’t feel like paying for lunch a week so on Monday she’d show up with a messy pony tail. Her boss will stop by and drop her 100 bill and tell her take the rest of the day off and get her hair done. Shed leave happy as hell as she gets a full day pay, extra cash and an early day. She does this ish a few months in the year

weFukNorNah says:

She got some ol dry azz bob wig. Bless her heart..he’s really anal..like he can’t stand chipped fingernail polish so they all have to be groomed. .He said if a family looks at u…If u don’t take care of yourself how the hell can u care for someone that’s not even alive

ol non-conformist asses :rules:

I will never agree to not being lovingly and naturally designed. :lol:

*adds this to the list of things worth losing login* :lol:

User Friendly says:

be having catsuits and other “clubwear” in the beauty supply store too. white tees and anything else your ratchet heart desires.

doing their part to make sure we have boy-frennnnn :yes:

YALL STOP LAUGHIN.

I found them in an overnight bag I hadn’t carried in forever when we got ready to go to the beach last week. They was in there and I was SO happy to see em. :yes: I had accused my baby sister of stealing them. They are the LAST pair I HAD. :yes:

says:

San

chile i am sick AND tied of all the disdain for nappy hair. as if it’s a SIN that needs to be rebuked. Viola Davis posted a pic of her & her daughter rocking her natural saying she threw her wig out bc she didn’t want her daughter thinking something was wrong with her hair. FIRST comment was “that’s good & all but that dont excuse yall from walking around looking unkempt” :blink:

when for SOME no matter what they do, techniques they use it will not conform. her solution? ROCK A BALDIE! :cuss: i am trying to separate myself from these natural issues bc it just wears u down after a while. i accept myself & all my nappiness. dont need or want anyone’s approval about it. but everyday it seems i have to fight about it. even within the natural community itself bc folk think they’re above u when they have looser curls, wavy hair, etc. the struggle continues :shrug:

OTB!!!!!!! :kiss: sup luv?
    @JustTakingOver :hug: hola mami what’s goodie?

Buttercup says:

My daddy was so :mad: when he found out that my sister enlisted in the army. He always said that no daughter of his would serve in the military. He was a first lieutenant in the army, so I imagine he saw things that he didn’t want his daughters to be a part of. That day was one of the few times I saw him cry.

sassyshe says:

———————–
    :cosign: I was with this one who got discharged from the navy because he was selling their weapons and they were paying for him to be a bio-chemist. I was like you dumb idiot, you gotta learn how to leave your hood behavior at home. Silently I wad crying at the loss of my future VA benefits

:hahaha: I dont even pretend to know how to be good at what he does cause I cant even get my mind around a funeral and death is the most guaranteed thang in life :lol:

When I was watching Phaedra with “Willie” the funeral home partner? I was just like Rwilli! RWilli! :woohoo:

:facepalm:

——————————————
    YUP :yes:

Hell my boyfriend signed up when he lost both of his jobs, said they called for his brother (who ended up getting locked up :lol:) and he ended up joining :yes: Its like the last resort for some folk. Travel on the gov’t dime, hell eat, shyt, fukk bytches all on the gov’t dime, then get that GI Bill?! Shiiiiid niggas was signing up by the boatload.

Now it ain’t as easy, they turning folk away since the war is over n what not :yes:

Buttercup says:

be having catsuits and other “clubwear” in the beauty supply store too.
    ========
    *makes a mental note to tell my friend* My friend said she would like to get a lil slutty for her Honey Dip.

*making an appearance* :tea: <–mug says ION care ABout Hair

doing their part to make sure we have boy-frennnnn :yes:

MAH GAWD :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I will not lie I buy the hose/tights with the “Tigers” and chit up the legs :rofl: OMGAWD LMAO I have to re-buy them cause they only last one club night.

*puts Tiger Tights on list* :rofl:

————————————————————-
    NO LIE I go to this mall in PG County and they got a beauty supply store in there…I be dropping racks on straight foolishness!! Where else can you go to Target and then cop a wig cap n thread?

I love ratchet MD :yes:

SuthernBelle4 says:

Hey yall :waves: I’m not understanding why kinky twist are a problem especially if you can put it in a neat ponytail or bun but that’s why my Black ass ain’t in the military. Any way doe, does anyone watch Bring It on Lifetime, that’s become my guilty pleasure

Wait Buttah dont steal my vibe. :(

I am never one to say, “why they worried about this when we have this this and this going on..?” because I think the US of A is capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time but really I am so sweet brown fyred up about this cause suicide and rape? :shrug: Soldiers coming back crazy? Abu Ghraib? Who cares. Straighten your hair or cut it off.

missyJ says:

I will say that most of these styles are probably for convenience versus style

*puts Tiger Tights on list* :rofl:

With a LBD and that tiger prowling up some toned legs, mayne listen #Winning :hahaha:

Buttercup says:

I got some cheetah patterned tights from H&M and wore them with my cheetah print wedge booties. I was a little :ashamed: but y’all are making me feel better about my fashion choices.

Now that I see :eek: ION think they thought this one out logically :lol: Like what’s the alternative?! I get he 3 braid issue (I guess) but what’s wrong with the twists? :thinking: They look neat :shrug: Do they have to be ear length or pinned up? :eek:

FT Hood getting crazy

Tell her my friend said they have the ones with the cut crotch and everythang :eek: crochet. :eek: lace. :eek: colors. Naturally, they are “one size fits all (Asians and Buttercups.. )”

SuthernBelle4 says:

@DTTS that’s what I’m saying, I could understand them wanting the kinky twists cause hoes be trying to get them long, slanging braids but other than that I don’t see the problem

==========
    :preach:

Matchsticks says:

doing their part to make sure we have boy-frennnnn

but THIS ^^^ tho…. I. DIE. :ghost:

Soldiers coming back crazy?
    :yes: psds or whatever the acronym is :lol:

=============
    LBD? :thinking:

Gigi26 says:

Thing is…FT Hood BEEN CRAZY…its just being publicized now…after the first shooting I saw some shyt that just :no: they have a shyt load of soldiers that need immediate help for PTSD. Not just at Ft. Hood but damn near anyone and everyone who comes back from deployment.

Buttercup says:

I got some cheetah patterned tights from H&M and wore them with my cheetah print wedge booties. I was a little but y’all are making me feel better about my fashion choices.

“such a freakin lady”

naw, you good buttercup. aint nothing wrong with being ratchet-chic. hell, emily B and Keyshia Kaior are making a whole career out of it :nun:

We can just be happy they used black models?…..no

I will say that most of these styles are probably for convenience versus style

The undue burden placed on a certain population is my only complaint. Soldiers should be soldiers but by trying to make everybody uniform without realizing their are actual differences (I doubt males are allowed any room for tampons or something specific to being female) you only make certain people work towards it.. *systematic R word here*

boy-frennnnn

They ALL really care about that cat, don’t they?!?!? :lol:

Little Black Dress = LBD

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder = PTSD

We can just be happy they used black models?…..no

First they wanted to sit in the front of the bus.. I just caint deal. :nono:

weFukNorNah says:

The air force wanted me bad but my mom was like no…now every time I think about how I could have retired in 6 yrs I wanna go piss on her car

Buttercup says:

(Asians and Buttercups.. )
    =========
    :crying1:

therapist1911 says:

We can just be happy they used black models?…..no

:rofl: :rofl:

SuthernBelle4 says:

so I was a polite Southern woman and said hello and yall hoes was like “white font” its cool doe… :tea:

Nancy Drew (fka IsThisThingOn) has entered into witness protection :cool: says:

Your girlfriend sounds like a sensible woman. :yes:

:warning: watch yo back rwilli :tea:

:dead: :casket:

Is this really a black and white issue? Or more female soldier issue? I guess the last picture is representative of black women but first two pics are things most women in the army will do from my experiences

:hi: Suthern!

Little Black Dress = LBD

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder = PTSD
    :chase: #eventhoughiasked :lol:

:hug: Southern, it’s all MsTake’s fault :yes: :lol:

weFukNorNah says:

:rofl: what the hell, yo!

:casket: stuff me with panko bread crumbs please & thank you.

It’s really a shame how all these vets are coming back with the mental issues :(

========
    :rofl: I thought about going to the Navy. I took the ASVAB and all. I couldn’t go a step further than that though. My dad and I didn’t have the best relationship, but after seeing how he reacted with my sister, I still wanted to respect his wishes even though he had gone up yonder.

BOFL! :rofl: :rofl:

HELLUR!!!! :wave:

User Friendly says:

oh my bad DTTS i promise wasnt trying to be a smart ass. :lol:

yall know OTB be throwing stuff out like we just supposed to know what it is. OTB be like “think fast!”

:newpost: Fuscia

Buttercup says:

:casket: stuff me with panko bread crumbs please & thank you.
    ==========

:hi: Suthern

missyJ says:

:offtopic:

I bought my Jeep yesterday!!! Can somebosy email me an mp3 of You Remind Me of My Jeep. I take possession tomorrow and I need to bump it all day :rofl: but serious tho…

Oh and I played rough with the finance manager, pretty sure I was all kinds of black bytch as I walked out the door :coffee:

CaliYoruba says:

The Beauty Supply stores in the South are EVERYTHING :clap: Purchased some hair color, nail polish remover, and some tights LOL

Hey GIGI, HEY MIANY :waves:

Lady_Elle says:

This is BS through and through!

With all of the RAPES in the military… they have time to spend worrying about African-American hair dos?

When you have a relaxer you have to maintain it. This can result in broken, damaged, jacked up hair if you don’t find a good hair dresser to keep you up!

If you have breakage… you may not have enough hair to do anything!

Due to humidity, moisture, other conditions… if we wear our hair in its natural state… it will shrink. Braids are a way of keeping hair neat.

This is really our natural state. How can they do this? How can they pretty much targe ONE race? Especially when the braids, twists are a way to keep your hair groomed.

While not all of us have kinky hair that doesn’t lay flat in it’s natural state… a lot of us do.

Not all women have hair long enough to put into a pony tail.

BTW… those that pull their hair back into pony tails develop breakage over time. :angry:

This is outrageous.

I wear my hair natural… I am in corporate America. My hair is big… wavy / curly. It works for dressing up and casual.
    I get compliments on the regular. Occasionally I will pull it into a pony tail. At home! :lol:

________
    The color comes into play for me because of the type of hair colored genes produce. Granted there are ppls from other descent that have unruly curl hair (think Jewish fros) the problem is even that hair can be wrangled with less manipulation/time/fuss than ethnically afroid hair.

Although my hair is about an inche from my nipples when straightened, I cannot make a bun without straightened hair. I know it makes no sense if you have never felt or dealt with very tightly coiled hair. But its difficult to manipulate to say the least and the MOST fragile hair type of all. Which is why tons of ppl think Blacks cant grow long hair..

___________________________

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I really do but i didnt intentionally do it here…But This is a game at home…I encourage it. It is so fun. You have kids? Do! :bounce:

User Friendly says:

yes, I do it to my kids too. I throw out terms (either proper or slang) and dare them to ask me what they mean.

my kids know to get some reading and listening comprehension up in my house. thats why it was funny to me.

says:

ol non-conformist asses :rules:
    I will never agree to not being lovingly and naturally designed. :lol:
    *adds this to the list of things worth losing login

:dead: :ghost: i leave & go fix a bite to eat & come byke to THIS comment! :hahaha: lawd knows i fux witchu the LONG way chile! #rebelFOELYFE :fistbump:

Lodak says:

Racist? The first girl is white. Y’all reaching…

rockstar says:

do hope you’ll know that if we drop out of the United States military because of this issue, it leaves us to be impress right back into slavery by these people. I agree with K Dub. Everyone should get a buzz cut then and call it a day. Don’t let these racist bastards stop you. Little by little the U.S. is trying to “take back america”.