UConn Player: ‘Some nights I go to bed starving’

Shabazz Napier

While the University of Connecticut men’s basketball team takes on the University of Kentucky for the NCAA championship tonight, one UConn player wonders where his next meal will come from.

Shabazz Napier, point guard for UConn, told reporters he understands more than anyone why there is a need for a student athlete union on campus.

“We as student athletes get utilized for what we do so well. We are definitely blessed to get a scholarship to our universities, but at the end of the day, that doesn’t cover everything,” said Naoier. “We do have hungry nights that we don’t have enough money to get food and sometimes money is needed,” the senior told reporters. “I think, you know, Northwestern has an idea, and we’ll see where it goes.”

Napier was referring to a recent landmark court ruling giving Northwestern University football players the right to form a union on campus.

“I find that all grant-in-aid scholarship players for the Employer’s football team who have not exhausted their playing eligibility are ‘employees’ under” the National Labor Relations Act, Peter Sung Ohr, director of the board’s Chicago regional office, wrote in his ruling.

But Northwestern is a private college, while UConn is a state university that is governed by state labor laws. The National Labor Relations Board cannot empower student athletes at public universities to unionize.

That leaves students like Napier out on a limb. Although his athletic scholarship gives him a free ride at UConn, the scholarship money doesn’t cover everything.

“Like I said, there are hungry nights that I go to bed and I am starving. So something can change, something should change. But if it doesn’t, at the end of the day, we’ve been doing this for so long, so …,” he said.

Napier told reporters that it’s hard for him to see his jersey getting sold while he struggles to eat.

A UConn spokesman scoffed at the notion that a UConn scholarship athlete is starving.

“Shabazz Napier, like all our scholarship athletes, is provided the maximum meal plan that is allowable under NCAA rules,” Phil Chardis said in an emailed statement. “UConn does not have a cafeteria devoted specifically to student-athletes, but they have access to the same cafeterias which are available to all our students.”

UConn’s Student Athlete Handbook notes that athletes have access to the all-you-can-eat dining facilities that are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

State Rep. Patricia Dillon, D-New Haven is working on a bill to allow unions at public universities in Connecticut that would provide student employees with salaries and free health care.

“If state law is the barrier, then we should remove it. It should be up to the players,” she said.

Update: Shabazz Napier and the UConn Huskies defeated UK 60-54 to win the NCAA championship. Shabazz will eat good tonight!

59 Responses to “UConn Player: ‘Some nights I go to bed starving’”

Ni ni says:

My comprehension is not the best this time of night. So if they have access to food, is someone-perhaps the coach-preventing them from eating at night or is he lying?

spiceykay says:

If he is starving then he is trying to starve. If you know you are going to be hungry later then take some food back to your dorm from the cafeteria. They have fruit, bread, meat, and cereal that you can easily take with you. We even had a snack bar that stayed open late if you wanted food outside of th cafeteria. While I do think they should get a stipend or something that will still create issues.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
    Maybe he is talking about when the team travels etc. I am sure he is more than non-hungry on campus. What about when a tea such as UConn travels extensively? IJS. They are not always on campus. College students in GENERAL are broke so imagine a student athlete that might come from a less than fortunate background… etc (ie his/her parents AINT got it) and due to class sked and practice sked CANT work? Dude really could be hungry under these circumstances.

And on the OTHER side of advocate that I am playing…he getting money from SOMEWHERE. He has tats. Them bishes aint free are they Napier?

Okay gotta geux. 1:49 left. UConn up by 6.

ALBoy says:

He wont starve after the draft :coffee: #noAntoineWalker

ALBoy says:

You lose one championship because your team cant make free throws most people it would never happe . Again but Oh no Calipari has dont it twice he csn get them to play athletic ball but no skills
    Boo and again I say Boo :coffee:

Ni ni says:

The cafeteria closes at 7 p.m. If you have money you can go off campus and get something to eat after 7. He’s saying he doesn’t have any money. Growing boys get hungry at night. He’s not lying.

spiceykay says:

UConn doesn’t have a snack bar. And taking food back to your room attracts roaches.

ALBoy says:

Good job Uk your coach failed you :coffee:

Blanche Devereaux says:

This is sad and I definitely believe him ESPECIALLY for nights on the road…its not like he can work and money doesnt fall from the sky.

ALBoy says:

I remember at Tuskegee after the Cafe served dinner you couldn’t eat anywhere on campus after 8
    I made most of my money selling cheap snacks after 9 it was hard for err body
    #Hustlehard

ALBoy says:

I thought they got per diem on the road

ALBoy says:

I made most of my money selling cheap snacks after 9 it was hard for err body
    #Hustlehard

ALBoy says:

I thought they got per diem on the road

I think he means on campus.

ALBoy says:

@Sandra what? simple supply and demand i would get my allowance from home go to piggly. Wiggly buy thier brand of sodas .25each i sold them for a dollar their brand snack cakes. Also assorted cigars and loose cigarettes i never smoked so it was all profit.

ALBoy says:

Yea if he on campus i can see it thats rough

spiceykay says:

I went to a very small school in Alabama and if we had resources to eat outside of cafeteria hours I know a bigger state school should have something. If he eats the food then their is no roaches.

Yardgirl says:

Go UCONN!! :trophy: :champ:

Tonight’s the women’s turn!! :woohoo:

missyJ says:

College players deserve more than just a scholarship BUT scholarships help keeping recruiting even and fair (even tho boosters give out extras). In college not being able to work or parents that can give you spending money is tough. College players should get a salary, maybe 20% now and the rest upon graduation or if they get hurt or something

Draya said "that's what strippers do" puppylove says:

Good morning :yawn: on my way home

missyJ says:

@draya Booty cawl :coffee:

Afiya says:

Good Morning Roses, Thorns, Lurkers & newbies :wave:

CONGRATS UCONN :clap:

aRoTh says:

_____________________________

:ghost: :nono: :facepalm:

This dude is def. not lying. I know the STRUGGLE. I come from a single parent home & I didnt have a FULL RIDE… I went to a very small college whose cafeteria had the same HOURS and NO U COULDN”T BRING BACK A DOOGY BAG TO YOUR ROOM. Some nights I was HUNGRY as hell. THE STRUGGLE IS REAL for a COLLEGE STUDENT WITH LIMITED FUNDS. :no:

THANK GOD FOR GRANDPARENTS WHO WOULD COME THROUGH FROM TIME TO TIME FOR ME & MY ROOMMATES :yes:

tintin1979 says:

just cause he gets a free education doesn’t mean his lazy arse can’t go work. Go work so you can feed yourself.

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL for a COLLEGE STUDENT WITH LIMITED FUNDS.
    ———–
    :cosign:
    God bless my SINGLE mom who worked hard to provide for us and made sure we never went hungry. People actually thought I was rich because of how she taught us to carry ourselves. Little did they know. I thank God for her :pray:

OpinionHated says:

My major issue with this is that the school is making money off the students so why shouldn’t the students get something from that – what they’re doing in college is no different than what they do in jails – free labor = corporate profits….

As for this kid starving – he might be huungry some nights but he’s far from starving – not when he can go to practically any chick and beg for some ramen nooodles…

MisTaken if you nasty *closes housecoat* :winky: says:

by tintin1979 on Apr 8, 2014 at 7:57 am
    ——–
    Ummmm the more established universities and college athletes have intense schedules that includes practice, travel, study hall, class and actual games that basically all but prevents them from being able to obtain gainful employment. Or at least anywhere where they could earn income. I knew/know a lot of college athletes and don’t know how some of them did it. It IS a full time job. Except they were not getting paid for it

San ah make ya dance says:

I was starving too trying to maintain my high GPA while taking no doz :tea: They using these boys for money tho so give em a stipend and be done with it

San ah make ya dance says:

And who the fcuk not feeding them on the road :eek: That’s the damn problem right there!

bnatural says:

Are parents unable to send funds to their children? I work in Higher Ed and I know that you can still use financial aid even if you are receiving an institutional scholarship (full ride or not). Many of them probably qualify for the pell grant…if everything is covered this will be refunded to them….I wonder if they look at other options…

Also, I’m a bit torn on paying college athletes…

Morning folks :waves:

MrsL says:

That’s terrible, but surely there’s some groupies out there willing to give them money for food. :think:

San ah make ya dance says:

————
    Hell you can even get a loan to cover stuff but I digress. Lawd I wish I had a full ride back then :phew: Almost kneeled over from stress

But this been going on in Universities :shrugs: been happening. Is it right probrably not, but they get a full ride (tuition) through school. Compared to tuition amount, I would keep my mouth shut and stack up on some Ramen noodles… Hell and deal :tea: either that or get ready and pay back some loans

San ah make ya dance says:

And now that I think about it, seems they are paying off that full ride they got through basketball. Look Imma just leave this topic alone. Feed the boys while they away and gon’ somewhere

MrsJB says:

:clap: Congrats UCONN!!!!! I Strongly dislike uk :tea:

:ontopic: I hate that for College students. I went to college locally so I don’t know what going to bed hungry feels like, but I think they should be given additional access to the cafeteria due to their schedules or something so that going hungry is not an issue.

San ah make ya dance says:

————
    You spoke my last thought

San ah make ya dance says:

————

Chile let me get a full ride in school. I would so thankful for that… get me some Ramen noodles and create some meals….

San :fistbump: we live in a time where folks complain about so much…. :tea: Chile there are so many college students running round here hungry. That don’t have a full ride :shrugs: and will have loans to pay back :rules:

bnatural says:

San ah make ya dance says:

————
    —–

That’s what I’m saying…they don’t need to take out large loans but just enough to buy some things….it’ll be interesting to see how this works out going forward…

It’s a 50-50 things…so many parents prepare for their children’s future and while I understand that its a struggle for some (my parent included), I believe with better preparation, situations like this can be reduced. :shrug:

San ah make ya dance says:

—————–
    Girl I was hungry but looked goodt too :lol: did me some goodt. But yes few are fortunate to have that ideal college experience. This shyt make you tougher tho :yes:

Mr.BluPhi says:

You better invest in a pack of Roman Top noddles like the rest of us…

I know athletes bring in bank to the colleges… most of those players are on full scholarships….

That issue can get real sticky…

Mr.BluPhi says:

_______________________________

Thats all Im saying

bnatural says:

Mr.BluPhi says:

You better invest in a pack of Roman Top noddles like the rest of us…
    That issue can get real sticky…
    ———-

THIS! And let’s not talk about how many of them BARELY finish a degree…if at all.. :coffee:

Ramen noodles was life back then!

I remember when my sister came home for breaks with her school, she had a full scholarship too … My parents would take her to Sam’s and get you know the meals, and the noodles. Whatever that could fit in that mini Fridge she had. The cafeteria on the campus was expensive … so yeah there were plenty of nights her and the girls on her team were starving :tea: they complained… but my dad told her :coffee: it’s either deal or you can bring ya azz back home, cause he said he does not have no money to pay tuition and them folks are paying yours :coffee: so which one is it going to be? That is college :shrugs: now folks complaining bout that :rolleyes: college stay starving and steady drinking ….. why is it an issue now ?

Draya said "that's what strippers do" puppylove says:

Jacked from the internet….

Schools are only allowed to feed players one complimentary “training meal” a day, which must be eaten at the training table. So, if someone wants to skip out on the group binge-eating and take a snack to eat later at the dorm, it’s considered a violation.
    ________________________

So they basically are allowed 1 large meal a day and they aren’t allowed to take a doggy bag. No wonder he’s hungry.

San ah make ya dance says:

—————
    :phew: :rofl: You live to fight another day

San ah make ya dance says:

—————-
    As much as a cafeteria plan cost, they should let you take whatever you want home. I cancelled my plan quick. Food wasn’t worth the money

spiceykay says:

Maybe my college was more lenient because plenty of people left the the cafeteria with items. The full ride covers room and board so I don’t see the issue with eating in the cafeteria unless you just didn’t feel like going to grab you something. I was even able to let my friends eat off my meal plan because they hated their cafeteria food.

Gigi26 says:

Ahhh homie…first things first, CONGRATS HUSKIES!!

Second…Meal plan? I know them bball players at my college had CRAZY dining dollars yo, and if they didn’t, they was fukking bytches who did so NONE of them starved. And if they didn’t bang a bytch with the plan, they def had refund checks up the wazoo to supplement their income.

Athletes like those at UConn can’t work due to scheduling/training/class. It’s a big school with a huge name. Hell the campus itself is fukking huge so where they gonna work and be back in time for practice?! It’s unrealistic.

But he better do like the rest of us my nigga and get you some maruchan or ramen noodles, snacks n call that shyt a day. I’m sure you can hustle someone for it. Stop the madness.

Gigi26 says:

For us, we couldnt take shyt out the dining hall unless you hid it. But for lunch and whatever, depending on where you ate is whether or not you could take it out. Could be one of those types of situations…but homie college cafeteria food makes you shyt so I wouldn’t be too hype for that :no:

A.J. says:

If he eats the food then their is no roaches.
    :rofl: Spicekay i hate u :lol:

bnatural says:

I don’t know if times have changed or what….you had your meal plan AND dining dollars…are they using both up at the top of the semester?

:shrug:

Gigi26 says:

Bnatural: Yep they def have a meal plan n dining dollars :yes: I doubt that has changed and I know with athletes they get the top notch ish too :yes:

And if them dudes got sponsors….the hell he going hungry for?!

I knew a dude on my bball team who bought 400 bucks worth of bud…with scholarship money…and this was at a shytty school ranking wise.. :lol:

Wasting time says:

If the Caf closes at 7pm and practice runs until 9, what happens? What happens when they reach the limit of the “maximum” food play at lets say day 21 of a 31 day month? Seems like the university tried to trivialize his point.

zurishay says:

Buffet cafeterias don’t let u take food out. So eating on the weekends and evenings is hard. I went through it myself when I was in college. You have your own personal needs that has to be met and just having a full scholarship isn’t enough. They deserve money in their pockets for their own personal use.

missyJ says:

Chit my sister got a full ride and a stipend for her education scholarship… players should be paid. School, boosters, and sponsors make MILLIONS off their backs. A scholarship is just not enough, it’s about time people stopped expecting these young men and women to play the fool.

A.J. says:

I absolutely hate cafeteria buffets with a passion. :hurl: Always have, always will.

Smokie says:

As the mother of two college-bound athletes, I can already see the hardship down the road. The athletes CAN’T work and go to school. My boys tried, but the scheduling is hell and really impossible. So all extra money comes from the parents. These boys are playing their azzes off and giving the school all they have. They need a stipend or something.