Why Psychopaths Are More Successful

Why Psychopaths Are More Successful

When you hear the word “psychopath” you think of serial murderers. But a new book is debunking the myth that all psychopaths are bad.

In their book, The Good Psychopath’s Guide to Success, Andy McNab and Oxford psychology professor Kevin Dutton says possessing certain psychopathic traits can put you on the road to success.

McNab and Dutton say most rich, powerful, successful men posses certain psychopathic traits that give them an advantage.

“I wanted to debunk the myth that all psychopaths are bad,” says Dutton. “I’d done research with the special forces, with surgeons, with top hedge fund managers and barristers. Almost all of them had psychopathic traits, but they’d harnessed them in ways to make them better at what they do.”

McNab and Dutton said they met successful men who who in tests exhibited many of these psychopathic traits, including ruthlessness, fearlessness, impulsivity, reduced empathy, developed self-confidence and lack of remorse.

One dysfunctional psychopath – who was serving a life sentence for multiple murders – explained to Dutton: “It’s not that we’re bad, it’s that we’ve got too much of a good thing.”

That “good thing”, according to McNab, is the psychopath’s ability to turn down their empathy and other concerns in order to focus on the task at hand.

“If I’m in a hostage situation I’d rather have a psychopath coming through the door than anyone else because I know he’s going to be completely focussed on the job in hand,” says McNab.

McNab added: “If I was on trial, I’d want a psychopath [to represent me] too. I want someone who’d be able to rip people apart in the witness box, go back to their family and not think anything more about it, because it’s just a job for them.”

McNab says fear is one of the emotions that psychopaths lack. “Functioning psychopaths have a natural advantage in that they can turn this fear down.”

Dutton said being a psychopath can be beneficial when deciding who to befriend.

“Your friends might be smoking and drinking all the time while you’ve decided to get fit. You have to be prepared to stand apart sometimes. It doesn’t mean ditching them, it’s just healthy to be your own person once in a while.”

“We are absolutely not aiming to turn people into psychopaths, says Dutton. “It’s for people who have those mixing dials turned down too low and need to get them up.”

37 Responses to “Why Psychopaths Are More Successful”

ButterflyKisses says:

Umm What?! :|

libra80sbaby says:

ummmm okay :tea:

Gigi26 says:

Sandra….we were good with the post down below sista :lol:

Buttercup says:

Do successful woman exhibit the same traits? :thinking:

Wasting time says:

:facepalm:

I’mma just sit this one out unless it takes a turn towards ratchet. Which it is sure to do.
    Why did they remake Candy Rain??? Dude sounds horrible. Like some stuff you leave alone :no:

kamadiva says:

So the picture makes a reference to what??? :huh:

In other news: After 63 years, Johnson Publishing is ceasing publication of Jet Magazine after the June issue.

leapyr~baby! says:

Sounds like a psychopath wrote this :tea:

I am tired of them using the word divas in every reality show. The word is so overdone. I mean *primps curls* every one can’t be a diva like myself :blink:

Buttercup says:

=========
    I was so :angry: when I heard Yo Gotti’s “I Know.” That beat goes way too hard for all of that.

SummerBaby says:

—————
    Every time that song comes on the radio my daughter gets instantly mad & changes the channel.

Buttercup says:

I am tired of them using the word divas in every reality show.
    ========
    Word on the curb is that Hollywood Diva’s was Todd Tucker’s idea that he pitched to TVOne. He’s trying really hard to make Mama Joyce eat her words.

kamadiva says:

@MisTaken – Patti don tole yall these heifas ain’t no diva! They ain’t earned shyt to be labeled that!

@Kam: They better stop it before they get embarrassed. I have stopped using it. Maybe you should change your name :kona:

kamadiva says:

My name is actually from a Hindu god – god of love! :D

@Butter: It is his show :yes: Todd making moves. I don’t forsee the show making it long term but :shrugs: who knows maybe they will be ratchet for a cheek. I mean Countess Vaughn was wearing 9 month old dead putrid oozing maggoty lace fronts .. Whole head smelt like earring bykes…
    .Elise Neal seems a bit hood :thinking: It might work….

My name is actually from a Hindu god – god of love!
    I be tired of people :rofl: Be like Funkbox actually means higher levels of being and love in Buddhism :rolleyes:

kamadiva says:

Well DAYMN!

Buttercup says:

I still can’t get over Kim Parker :no: She had to smell HIDEOUS.

Do successful woman exhibit the same traits?

I firmly believe ‘we’ do! (I also believe I work w/at least one, and she is ruthless.) :tea:

Why not come up with a name besides psychopath :tea: if he says they only display some of the traits ? Honestly,I like vegan food but that does not make me a vegan….. so why use the word psychopath as a label :tea: Hogwash … Another way to normalize these fools running round here.

Buttercup says:

=========
    I was reading the characteristics and thought, ” :blink: So, ummmm, I’m a psychopath?” I’m not like that in my personal life, but professionally, it’s game on.

leapyr~baby! says:

Sounds like a psychopath wrote this

:tea:

Another way to normalize these fools running round here.

:think: good point Jenie! funny, things can go either way. sometimes the strategy is to officially “normalize” a behavior (i won’t give any examples) and at other times certain behaviors become “syndromes” and “disorders” and folks might can get a check for it. :shrug:

Now, dis what i wanna know Jenie… who the deputies say A p o l l o done snitched on? :eek: :popcorn:

Buttercup says:

Spill the tea! :tea:

Nancy I haven’t asked about Apollo today :hahaha: I have been pretty busy… I will let you know something soon as I hear anything different :tea: everything will soon be public record lol..

You guys have a good evening :peace:

Nah, Butter :nono: you aint nothing like this chick. she’s a bitter twisted opportunist (and not the sharpest tool in the shed either). with her there’s no”game on” cause this is how she operates in her business and personal life. thoak cutting and back stabbing anybody who dares to challenge her routinely inept approach to doing anything, and extremely threatened by anyone who is obviously the ‘real deal’ where she’s clearly a poser and a wannabee. Iont claim to know you ‘like that’ but from what i’ve seen here, you aint her!

Wasting time says:

:newpost:

Buttercup says:

Nah, I ain’t cutthroak. My boss could come to me today and say, “Butter, you ain’t been ish on this here job for over 2 months.” I’d reply, “You’re right. Let me clean out my cube.” :lol: In jobs that I really care about keeping and performing (really reads making money), I feel that I have to assert myself more than others. I’m young and kinda cute, so many of the old white guys I have to deal with would like to put me into the category of those who skated through life of looks or with those who use EVERYTHING to get ahead.

missyJ says:

-=================

Dang I was still hoping to be a JET centerfold when I grew up

Hershey says:

this blog is pretty successful…

See Butter :hug: …you just shrewd where business and your money are concerned – nothing wrong w/that. this heifer here though :no: she the debil. :no:

I AINT MADATCHA says:

-=================
    Dang I was still hoping to be a JET centerfold when I grew up

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Beauty of the week Missy? We still have Ebonee! :rofl:

Buttercup says:

Awww, thank you Nancy :kiss: Your coworker sounds like she needs a reality check :karate: