Clothing Company Calls Monkey Display a “Total Misunderstanding”

Children T-shirt line

The children’s clothing company behind a racist monkey T-shirt display released a statement today calling the display a “total misunderstanding.” The company was criticized for hanging the monkey T-shirts on hangars featuring a black boy’s head. Other T-shirts displayed in the same line featured Caucasian children on the hangars.

The clothing company, Just Add A Kid, blamed the mixup on the store employees who assembled the floor display.

“We are looking into all the situations that occurred around this little incident,” company co-creator Lowell Cohen told the NY Daily News by phone. “We’re looking at the vendor, we’re speaking to our employees.”

The company said the pairing of the monkey shirt and the black boy’s head was “not authorized, condoned or tolerated” by the company.

The T-shirt line features cartoon drawings of an astronaut, a ballerina, a soldier, a princess, a mermaid, and an angel on the front of the shirts.

The company refused to identify the store location where the shirts were displayed.

72 Responses to “Clothing Company Calls Monkey Display a “Total Misunderstanding””

Beta says:

Yea fukkin right bastids :mad:

CHA CHA says:

Why Why Why :mad:

SayitAintSo says:

:facepalm:

Wasting time says:

:facepalm:
    Accident my AZZ!!!

Beta says:

Why the little saltine baby couldn’t be a monkey to hmph

tintin1979 says:

wow, they really were asking for that one.

:blink:

Beta says:

When in doubt blame the lower level employees :rolleyes:

Wasting time says:

That should have been noted on the boxed. Please do not hang the monkey shirt on the black kid hanger. If you see this please correct immediately.

My son would love the astronaut one but f u c k em. I’ll keep giving my $$ to Disney with for the super hero ones.

SayitAintSo says:

Why the little saltine baby couldn’t be a monkey to hmph

my thoughts EXACTLY..

:lol: :facepalm: This is what a manager with an education is for..

I hate to laugh but its funny. I actually call one of my kids Monkey. bonafied nickname. :oops:

~~~~~~~~~
    Of all those cute lil fictional character’s they thought a baby monkey fit in to this sequence :tea:

VDot says:

There go the Spurs championship shirts according to Man! :rofl:

CHA CHA says:

SHENANTICANS *Joseline voice

So don’t nobody wanna come into work today. The Receptionist is out. Her back-up is out. The lady who backs up the back up is out. So I got another lady covering for most of the day. So who is left down here to cover lunch and breaks? The one they all report to. ME :wails: :cuss:
    People keep walking in asking a million bajillion questions.. the phone steady ringing… Why I got to be working???? :rofl:

:lol: well at least its a cute little monkey baby. I guess they were just trying to match the color of the hands on the shirts.

so Robin Thicke has partnered with 1-800-flowers. he’s getting Paula back by any means necessary. the On The Run tour will be on HBO this fall.

~~~~
    this company doesn’t think darker skin hues can relate to an Astronaut or a princess.

When in doubt blame the lower level employees :rolleyes:

:tea:

@V-DOT
    “There go the Spurs championship shirts according to Man! ”

:yes: There they go! All them niggas would wear that bytch with pride too!

zurishay says:

When my son was a baby and even now he is 2 yrs old, I have NEVER placed anything on him that had any sort of monkey on it. no ma’am. NOT MY BABY!!!!!! People were instructed to NOT buy monkey items for my shower as well. I don’t play that! :no:

VDot says:

I love that gif of that little boy screaming “That’s Racist” Can you add that to the emoticon link Sandra? :biggrin:

SHENANTICANS *Joseline voice

Oh we knew. :lol: :rofl:

I been using that one IRL Cha. Every now and then someone gets it.

:chase: VDot says: There go the Spurs championship shirts according to Man!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    @MAN
    A few people have said DAN needs to issue a public apology too.
    Other’s are asking why does it have to be public?
    Dan Made “the letter public” had it up on the CAVS Website until Thursday July 3rd 2014
    :tea:

astronaut, a ballerina, a soldier, a princess, a mermaid, and an angel

:think:

So the only real life animal happens to be a monkey and it just happen to be placed with a black kids face on the hanger.

What are the odds?

datsmdubya2u says:

Aint no use in gettin mad. Black folk aint gone do ish. And some kneegrows wil be right in line to buy that line of clothing either to suck up and try to prove to white folk they dont play the race card, Or because its cheap. Have they son in a little monkey shirt in a minute. Tom bout shid it was on sale :shrugs:

There go the Spurs championship shirts according to Man! :rofl:

:rofl: :wail:

A.J. says:

Well…when parent allow their children to swing and hang on trees on other people property regardless of race, that’s what I call them!! Little monkeys, porch monkey, little niglets are just a few off hand. :tea:

Why I got to be working???? :rofl:

First Worl’ Problems, Craig.

You the 99% is why. :welcome: We exclusive. :hahaha: :hug:

Here’s your O. :lol:

@USER FRIENDLY
    “Robin Thicke has teamed up with 1-800-FLOWERS.COM to offer two new “Get Her Back” and “Forever Love” bouquets, named after singles from his album Paula. The “Forever Love” long stem red roses rang from $64.99 to $89.99. If you’re really in a bind the “Get Her Back” bouquet with 100 red roses goes for $349.99.

dam paula if you dont want him, I’ll take him. keep playing hard to get and yo ass wont get got. Paula is gonna fugg around and be lil wayne’s next baby mama. it aint exactly raining husbands out here.”

This nigga is pimpin the phuck outta this “break up” ain’t he?
    An album and side deals and chit.

I guess he goin have a “I’m Sorry” clothing line for niggas that cheat next.

@DATS
    “Aint no use in gettin mad. Black folk aint gone do ish. And some kneegrows wil be right in line to buy that line of clothing either to suck up and try to prove to white folk they dont play the race card, Or because its cheap. Have they son in a little monkey shirt in a minute. Tom bout shid it was on sale ”

You is right too.

Yea I have an aversion to the monkey theme and nickname BUT my sister and a few other people think it’s cute and have bought baby clothes and stuff with monkeys on them for the kids :facepalm: At one of their birthday parties the hubby’s family member bought them a shirt with monkeys on them. He was like :hailnaw: WE DON’T DO MONKEYS IN THIS HOUSE. So later one of the guests saw the shirt and picked it up and was like how cute! Everybody was like :warning: She said I always buy monkey stuff for my kids and we call them our little monkeys. She is white and her husband is black. We hate her. He does too :hahaha: Not because she is white but because she is sloppy and fat and a bad parent. If you are going to go white do it right bruh.
    It got real quiet and he was like :bite: Yeaaaaa uhhhh I don’t really like that nickanme so…. we bout to dip :peace:
    They got the hail on real quick :tea:

Wendy Williams sat down for an interview with ABC recently and addressed long time insults regarding her gender. “People do think I was born a man, that is absolutely not [true]. I get it. I’ve got a strong face, a strong body, I’m 5’11″. I wear wigs. I get it.” The Queen of Talk went on to say that the comments no longer affect her. Do I get upset with it? No. I get where that comes from, but in my opinion, there’s no worse way to insult a woman than to say she looks like a man, but once a woman gets over that, there is no stronger woman…there’s nothing you can call me at this particular point. I’ve been dealing with this for decades.”

well at least she didnt have a daughter. gotta thank her and Sherri Shepard for not passing on them flicked ass genes.

What are the odds?

The odds that they would recognize it as a problem are nil imo. Racism is dead. I bet soon as I see this on another site, yts will be like Black ppl always pull the race card :facepalm:

VDot says:

A few people have said DAN needs to issue a public apology too.

__________________________

:yes: he should. Nigga was public with the disrespect, so be public with the azz kissing. It should go:

My dearest King Lebron James,

I am humbly sorry. Please turn around so I can kiss all over your azz for disrespecting you. I have lost so much money without you here and would welcome you back with open arms. Whatever you need, I can get for you (houses, cars, bishes, pets, yachts, etc.) nothing is too big or two small. Please come back. I beg of you. Obviously we won’t ever win chit without you and I knew at the time I wrote that letter we wouldn’t, but I was hurt. And as they say Hurt people Hurt People. Please forgive me.

Humbly Yours,

Dan “So Ashamed” Gilbert

datsmdubya2u says:

@ USER 349?

these kneegrows will straight lose it if they spent 349 and she still won’t come back. That must be for sprites. :no: :shotsfired:

Savannah says:

Ok so what we gonna do? Sing? March? Or keep our coins in OUR pockets? :tea:

“People do think I was born a man, that is absolutely not [true].I get it. I’ve got a strong face, a strong body, I’m 5’11?. I wear wigs. I get it.” -Wendy Williams

:yes: :preach: :cosign: :thumbsup: – Interviewer

~~~~~~~

Apparition says:

Lebron went back to Cleveland per Sports Illustrated.

Yep. I have seen moneky things are popular like “owls”.

We don’t own any monkey clothing tho. And I try not to call my daugh Monkey in front of ppl cause she gets embarrassed. When she was small she was super bowlegged and when you picked her up she would hang and wrap around you like..a monkey. :| :heart: Turning 14 this year. Guess I will retire that one. :koolaid:

Wasting time says:

My Toys R Us hates to see me coming :no: My momma said they hated her too. I didn’t get a Pretty crimp and Curl cause they sent 15 Black ones the Christmas of nineteen hundred and ninety. She called corporate and went HAM. I got it like 3 weeks after and for free :lol: I did the same on this generic fireman and police man toy! WHERE IS THE BLACK ONE ?!?! Dude was like um ma’am :shrugs: we had a few.. what’s a few? 10!! That ain’t enough call someone and order it NOW!! I’ll be back Tuesday!!

Hershey says:

and the last monkey to have hung a onesie will be the first monkey to be fired, publicly :tea: fckn sprites.

So Mrs. Carter do care about us pleebs.. :crying1:

Savannah says:Ok so what we gonna do? Sing? March? Or keep our coins in OUR pockets?
    ~~~~~
    NONE of it and then some.

:pizza:

Done deal. LeBron to Cavs, credit to Lee Jenkins story in SI. Source confirms
    ~~~
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :warning:

datsmdubya2u says:

@ USER 349?

______________________________________

so you saying us monkey hoes aint worth $350? :confused: well dam can a mone-key at least get an edible arrangement for $50? dang!

see thats why I keep my porta reefa boo. he actually thinks he is supposed to spend money. monkey niggas arent raised to think this.

have bought baby clothes and stuff with monkeys on them for the kids :facepalm:

Nooooo. :facepalm: Now come on Black ppl. We know better? :|

I died at your husband tho. :oops:

@V DOT
    “My dearest King Lebron James,

Humbly Yours,

Dan “So Ashamed” Gilbert
    ________________________________

That would be a start! That nigga would have to acknowledge his bumbling attempts at managing the team.

From letting Carlos Boozer go for nothing.
    To signing a washed up Shaq.
    To gettin buffoons to be the coach because they were all cheaper.

Yeah, that nigga wouldn’t even wanna sign me after my demands. :rofl:

@MickyArison ·
    I am shocked & disappointed in today’s news. However I will never forget what Lebron brought us for 4 years. Thanks for memories @KingJames

WOW! WOW WOW WOW!

LeBron to Cavs
    _______

She is the weakest link. :crying1:

datsmdubya2u says:

@savannah :shrugs: none of the above. Thats the problem . Some blacks will buy that ish on purpose to prove a point things is yt dont care why u givin him your money as long as you give it to him

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

super bowlegged

:love: lawd knows I have a soft spot for genetic abnormalities like rickets.

Hershey says:

Lebron is going back to Cleveland

_______

I can think of worse but I feel her. I still don’t like her any. :no:

OutsidetheBox says: He sucks. :confused: I blame Savannah. Ole birthing in her feelings ass. Oleee I miss country ass Oh hi hoe ass bish. :eyeroll:

She is the weakest link. :crying1:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    :lol: Poor Vanna GETS the short end alla da time for his short Comings

WOW!

Wasting time says:

LeBron is just solidifying what YTs think of us :no:

REFURBISHED :newpost: on lEGONE

Wasting time says:

So Mrs. Carter do care about us pleebs.. :crying1:
    —————-
    ????

Savannah says:

@dats that’s what I’m saying just stop spending money with these folks and hit them where it hurts the pockets. :shrug: We don’t need to do nothing but hold onto OUR coins and patronize OUR own chit.

15 Black ones

:lol: :sad:

This is what I try to explain to white ppl..always in vain. They don’t understand how not seeing your likeness affects you. :no: Cause they always see themselves.

They can assume that a book character looks exactly like them if not given a description. And even when given a description they default to “white” features. #privilegepersonified

Please don’t get me started. Let me stew on Lebron ole house slave ass. :facepalm:

You the 99% is why.
    *crosses arms* NERP I don’t want to be great. I am about to go :wails: LTOSR
    The IT lady just tipped me off that our company is looking into phone recording software :wtf: She said some of the fund holders and grant applicants have been complaining about poor service. I am in neither department so *fluffs hair* BUT still RECORDING PHONE CALLS LIKE WE IN A CALL CENTER???? I asked her what’s next the email and inner webs?? She was like :yes: They hired a new IT Director I guess he is trying to be CAPTAIN SAVE A HOE :rolleyes:

datsmdubya2u says:

@user :shocked: where you get that I was saying black women aint worth 349? Nah im just saying if a blk man spend that much on some flowers he fully expect for her ass to be naked on the bed in all fours. Any other outcome os a failure

—————-
    ????
    _________

Those tickets expensive. :lol: That’s what everybody been complaining about.

CHA CHA says:

Why do people have to spell every thing phonetically.. :mad: Bytch your name is Ruth Adams STFU :shotsfired:

____________________________________

:crying1:
    AJ like the dude in Friday’s who told Craig nem to stay off his grass! :rofl:

on topic: i got nothing. i don’t buy that monkey shat for my young’ns or anybody else’s.
    (fr fr, my arse is scared of monkeys anyway. they aint cute to me, and i consider them to be dangerous WILD ANIMALS :nono: …won’t catch me petting on ‘em :nono: be grinning one minute :biggrin: and crying the next talm bout that monkey got my nose :wail: ) :nono:

Nigga was public with the disrespect, so be public with the azz kissing.
    __________________________

Precisely. :yes:

datsmdubya2u says:

@user where you get that I was saying black women aint worth 349? Nah im just saying if a blk man spend that much on some flowers he fully expect for her ass to be naked on the bed in all fours. Any other outcome os a failure
    ____________________________

this is the 2nd time you done took my font for serious and I am not here for it :waiting:

Crimsontide says:

datsmdubya2u says:

_____________________________

All of this!

Crimsontide says:

Wasting time says:

_________________________
    :think:

This might be a company wide issue. There’s one down the street from me that I only go to when someone is registered there (I don’t have kids yet). EVERY time I go in there, it’s a problem. They look at me, don’t speak and keep going; look past me to the non-colored folk around me and ask them if they need help; or the manager is harassing me about what’s in my purse and bag AFTER he just watched me check out at the register. Think I’ll have to keep my money from now on.

You are not logged in. You must be logged in to post a comment.