Why These Men Are Shirtless While Holding Newborn Baby

Gay fathers

Photos of two gay men welcoming a baby boy into the world went viral as soon as they hit Facebook. Photographer Lindsay Foster explained to Today.com why the two men are shirtless as they hold the infant as if they are the ones who gave birth to him.

Gay fathers

From Today.com:

Just before a gestational surrogate gave birth to their son in Kingston, Ontario, a midwife screamed “shirts off” so new dads Frank Nelson and BJ Barone would be ready to hold their baby against their bare chests for skin-to-skin bonding.

(Why are the dads shirtless? Skin-to-skin contact has been shown to have many health benefits for newborns, from temperature regulation to pain management, so it’s standard practice at many births now.)

The couple took a few photos of Milo with a cellphone camera, and Nelson joked that they were happy with the 200 “likes” that one received on Facebook. But that was nothing compared to the response that two of Foster’s photos got when she posted them on Facebook, and they quickly went viral.

Gay fathers

• Barack Obama Still ‘Grapples’ With Gay Marriage
  • Super Bowl XLII Hero Comes Out Against Gay Marriage
  • Beyonce Supports Gay Marriage
  • 2 Gay Men Petition Court to Be Listed As Fathers On Their Sons’ Birth Certificates

122 Responses to “Why These Men Are Shirtless While Holding Newborn Baby”

The fawk :blink: I swear …. more and more they are trying make these men feminine and the men less manly ….. damn :no:

We live in a fawked up world I swear :nono:

SummerBaby says:

:huh:

VDot says:

I take it the baby won’t be breastfed? Or is part of the surrogates contact to pump milk?

:thinking: I wonder if Sherri Shepherd’s husband will take his shirt off when HIS baby is born. At least he has titties :lol:

Jdore says:

:facepalm:

Good morning Auntie and Roses! :waves:

Beta says:

I don’t know why this makes me :hahaha:

VDot says:

That baby got some lips on him :yes: That surrogate got some black in her? Whose :sperm: they use? :huh:

Beta says:

You are right Sandra these gays seem like they really are trying to replace our asses :think:

What IN THEE entire FCuK!???!???!!

San ah make ya dance says:

:bye:

Hershey says:

Everything is a dayum photo op these days, and my Aunt’s dog is named Milo…chile lemme get byke into this Lean Six Sigma bullshyt :coffee: I’m really on the book :pc: but a bish look riat studious :lol: and yes VDot, he gwine bress feed that baby powdered, ashy azz milk cause Sherri said he ain’t gettin a nickel to click of her coins

VDot says:

From the article, ““Every pain that she had, they were crying along with her,” Foster said. “When she’d scream, they’d scream. I wanted to take a picture and hug them at the same time.””

:eyeroll: Now this is doing to much. If I was that mama, I’d be like “shut the fck up with all that hollering. You don’t know this pain!” :nono:

Beta says:

Now I have seen and heard of skin to skin contact

Lean Six Sigma bullshyt

_________

You learning about that DMAIC process? :hahaha:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      How long has it been since you were a practicing nurse? IJS. I just learned LITERALLY like 5 minutes ago an HR policy/law that changed as of April 2014 that the President signed into law regarding pay secrecy. All of THAT to say….things within ALL fields change ALL THE TIME. Just b/c YOU have never heard of it dont mean its wrong.

SummerBaby says:

a midwife screamed “shirts off”
      ——————-

@ VDot: They will never know a woman’s pain no matter how much they pretend.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      “New evidence suggests that being in skin-to-skin contact with a parent does more than just make the baby happy. It can help to prevent hypoglycemia and other newborn difficulties, reduce pain, stabilize premature babies and set the stage for optimal brain development. That’s pretty impressive for something so low-tech!”

Keyword in this lil ditty is PARENT.

Shandra says:

Sandra, you mentioned you weren’t aware of new moms being instructed to remove their gowns….no, you wouldn’t be instructed to remove your gown (besides, it’s already open in the back they can just pull it down) but, when I gave birth to my little girl, her heart rate was a little elevated so the doctor suggested lying her on my bare chest to help regulate it.

San ah make ya dance says:

skin-to-sin contact with their babies.
      —————-
      I have heard of this

Lean Six Sigma bullshyt

_________

You learning about that DMAIC process?
      _____________________________________

Yes unfortunately :sad: I’ll be TDY for the charter crap and so on and so on #UGH

bama_n_jersey says:

All of this just screams ATTENTION!!!!! So you just gone do all this before they wipe the baby off and wrap him up???? Germs all over the dang place…..

SummerBaby says:

skin-to-sin contact with their babies.
      —————-
      I have heard of this
      —————
      :cosign:

That poor baby was prolly lookin for some milk and got mouff full of hair.

:hurl:

Yuck.
      :no:

@ Who Dat: How long has it been since you were a practicing nurse?

I am still a registered nurse. I still receive nursing practice literature every month (as do all nurses). I have seen nor heard anything of this policy for fathers to remove their shirts in labor and delivery. Let me know when you hear about it mkay? :coffee:

bama_n_jersey says:

Let me find out all y’all work for Unc Sam……

San ah make ya dance says:

That poor baby was prolly lookin for some milk and got mouff full of hair.
      —————-
      :hahaha: :bye:

Beta says:

Shandra says:

i’m not really sure what the benefits would be for a man to have skin to skin contact. he didn’t carry the baby for 9 months. it’s not like the baby knows his heartbeat.

San ah make ya dance says:

Now fathers IDK :rofl:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      If they want to take this monthly and Childbirth? They can have it and I wont be mad at em. :no: HAVE IT. Like @Carrington said too they can also exp. being married and having somebody lower your credit score with their sometimes previous and future bad credit decisions AS WELL.

Why should they be exempt? You wanna be me? Here I geaux << Mystikal voice.

bama_n_jersey says:

All this damn training we have to do is getting on my nerve. Errday there is an email about some kind of mandatory training. Why can’t I get an email and say it’s the same as last year, here is your certificate????

SummerBaby says:

Although I’ve heard of skin to skin contact for newborns these dudes up top are doing way too much for my taste. :tea:

@SANDRA
      “The midwife is making things up as she goes along. Babies are supposed to be wrapped in blankets when they are born because they are coming from a 98.6 degree environment into a 70+ degree room. They are literally freezing. But who cares about the baby’s discomfort when there are propaganda photos to be taken?

Maybe a warm hairy chest can suffice for a blanket. :shrugs:

Hershey says:

I’ve never heard of skin to skin thing and I done pushed three babies into this world and ain’t nan one of them been thrusted on my chest for no dayum skin to skin contact thing. I think my Dr cheated me out of bonding with them, :thinking: I wonder if I can sue the hahspillah all these years later…if a fat man can sue because he was dragged for sleeping at a baseball game on national tv, I can sue for them not laying a bloody, cottage cheese soaked, wrinkles baby on my bressessassess… :pc:

Atypical says:

When I had my munchkin my doc had me do the skin to skin thing too. I believe it helps with bonding too. I think I know why you feel like this @SandrRose but being gay isn’t synonymous with being a pedophile.

libra80sbaby says:

This is doing THEEEE most. :tea:

San ah make ya dance says:

————
      This alone makes me reconsider marriage. They weren’t lying when they said become one

My doctor spoke of the skin to skin contact when I had my babies. I have *hold hands up proudly* THREE. Ages range from 9-1 :trophy: Said it would help calm and regulate them as it was the temp they were most familiar with in the womb. I did keep them under the blanket too though :yes:
      But on topic these hoes kill me. You are a boy DAMON. You have a PAYNUS. All that hollering I would have been like SHEDDUP!!

VDot says:

I don’t think it’s policy, but they do encourage mothers and fathers to do skin to skin contact for bonding. An old associate recently posted a pic of her hubby holding the baby on his bare chest after giving birth :shrug:

bama_n_jersey says:

Anyone who gets out of a shower and quickly reaches for a towel or bathrobe to wrap themselves knows exactly how this poor baby feels. The baby is supposed to be cleaned off, wrapped up, and antibiotic ointment applied in his eyes to prevent infection from germs picked up coming through the birth canal. All of this is usually done BEFORE the mother holds the child, much less the father. But I guess the rules have changed for gay births.

LittleBigMouth says:

I did skin-to-skin when my 20 month old was born and so did my husband. Skin-to-skin is not strictly for the mother to perform it is recommended that dads do it too. I guess we have a problem with it because these men are gay?

@WHO DAT
      “If they want to take this monthly and Childbirth?”

:nono:
      that’s for hoes forever! The gays prolly ready to sue saying the gov’t discriminating by not letting men experience cycles and childbirth but PHUCK DAT!

We would ship dem niggas on a boat to nowhere real quick right then!

sassyshe says:

I cant blame the :gay: for this as the midwife was the one who instructed them to do it. Obviously these are two queens so I am not surprised with all the theatrics. They probably told the midwife they wanted to bond with the baby, she told them strip, they did and she got a bigger bonus. Of course the gheys are tryna replace us, once they figure out how to create portable uterus…

VDot says:

Damn Taken, we get the point. No need to post it 7 times. Your babies/kids are adorable and cute as a button. Sheesh :hahaha:

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

That poor baby was prolly lookin for some milk and got mouff full of hair.

So my laptop is posting stuff and I didn’t even press send. And it duplicated it. This is what I get for sneak postin :facepalm:

I was going to say:
      You have a PAYNUS. All that hollering I would have been like SHEDDUP!! BISH YOU WASN’T WITH ME SHOOTING IN THE GYM :chase:

San ah make ya dance says:

I think I would die watching my bf, bare chested holding his baby right after birth :hahaha: No really, shyt would be funny

OpinionHated says:

Shouldn’t they have shaved first – baby get a mouthful of chest hair – yuck…..

Beta says:

Ok Taken we get it :facepalm: :hahaha:

Let me know when you hear about it mkay?
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      METHODS: Twenty-nine father-infant pairs participated in a randomized controlled trial, in which infants were randomized to be either skin-to-skin with their father or next to the father in a cot. Data was collected both by tape-recording crying time for the infants and by naturalistic observations.

RESULTS: The primary finding was the positive impact the fathers’ skin-to-skin contact had on the infants’ crying behavior. The analysis of the tape recordings of infant crying demonstrated that infants in the skin-to-skin group cried less

CONCLUSIONS: The infants in the skin-to-skin group were comforted, that is, they stopped crying, became calmer, and reached a drowsy state earlier than the infants in the cot group. The father can facilitate the development of the infant’s prefeeding behavior in this important period of the newborn infant’s life and should thus be regarded as the primary caregiver for the infant during the separation of mother and baby.

Source: National Center for Biotechnology Information advances science and health by providing access to biomedical and genomic information.

Shandra says:

We are living in a new world where the gays feelings takes precedence over everyone else’s — including babies.

Taken is stuttering :lol:

Momma I made it!!! says:

————————————————-

:cosign: I was looking for the words to use before I posted….I have no problems with these men raising this baby they may do better than alot of these crazy straight couples but WAY TOO MUCH is the exact words for this shirtless pic!!!

Bye Felicia.

bama_n_jersey says:

The biggest issue I have with this is that you can tell that all of this was done immediately after the child came out. The baby still needs to be cleaned and swaddled and they holding him.

VDot says:

Results of a study on skin to skin contact: ncbi. nlm. nih. gov/ pubmed/ 17542814

The primary finding was the positive impact the fathers’ skin-to-skin contact had on the infants’ crying behavior. The analysis of the tape recordings of infant crying demonstrated that infants in the skin-to-skin group cried less than the infants in the cot group (p<0.001). The crying of infants in the skin-to-skin group decreased within 15 minutes of being placed skin-to-skin with the father. Analysis of the NBAS-based observation data showed that being cared for on the father's chest skin-to-skin also had an impact on infant wakefulness. These infants became drowsy within 60 minutes after birth, whereas infants cared for in a cot reached the same stage after 110 minutes. Rooting activity was more frequent in the cot group than in the skin-to-skin group (p<0.01), as were sucking activities (p<or=0.001) and overall duration of wakefulness (p<0.01).
      CONCLUSIONS:
      The infants in the skin-to-skin group were comforted, that is, they stopped crying, became calmer, and reached a drowsy state earlier than the infants in the cot group. The father can facilitate the development of the infant's prefeeding behavior in this important period of the newborn infant's life and should thus be regarded as the primary caregiver for the infant during the separation of mother and baby.

LittleBigMouth says:

Sandra, before I gave birth I read many books and attended one class (not my idea) about giving birth. One thing they recommended, my midwife included, was a golden hour which was them giving you the baby right after the baby is born so that you (mother) can do skin-to-skin so that it would be easy for your baby to get familiar with breastfeeding faster if that is something a mother is interested in doing. For me, they cleaned off my son and handed him to me. We asked that they hold off on shots or eye drops until after he latched on. He turned out just fine. Do you still practice medicine? I ask not to be rude but just to know if procedures have changed since you last practiced if it’s been a while

Atypical says:

Did the doctor lay your baby on his father’s bare chest too? Let’s keep this in perspective. Here are 2 men who did not give birth holding a newborn infant to their bare chests before he has even been cleaned up. What is the benefit in that? :shrug:

JuanHustle says:

Am I the only one who’s noticing when a gay black person “comes out”, it’s mainstream news, but when a gay person of any other race comes out, it’s seldom talked about?

:fistbump: at Me and Dubb posting the same study :rofl:

I said I was sorry and ashamed :ashamed: :oops: I don’t know what happened. Must be a shortcut key. I gotta take it slow :lol:

Looks at VDot with the side eye. *pats her down for wires* Then remembers I did put a pic of one the Takens up. You good :blink: Thanks.

StripperOnAMinkRug says:

Just had a baby in December.. After he was born, we had to do skin to skin for an hour, then they cleaned him up and his dad was able to hold him. No he was not cold. His body was warm. People wouldn’t care if this were two women.

__________________________________________

That baby is :crying: his lil a– off! he’s screaming stuff me byke in that snatch NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me and Dubb posting the same study
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      CAH-WRECK

:eyeroll: Nevermind, I see all 3 of their cute behinds on IG. :hahaha:

bama_n_jersey says:

But….those studies didn’t mention newborn babies, straight out the womb….no wiping or nothing.

I am of the belief that men holding the babies vs. laying next to them in a cot works. I would rather hold my baby, but please prepare them first and don’t have all of these people with germs around them…straight out the womb.

LittleBigMouth says:

I have a problem with it because the baby is uncomfortable. Go back and read my comments. There is no proof that a freezing baby is comforted by skin-to-skin contact. They could at least clean him off first so he’s dry.

at Me and Dubb posting the same study
      Oh so you wasn’t stuttering like me? :rolleyes:
      #Petty :lol:

The Pearl! says:

:waves: Good morning, Auntie, Roses, Thorns & Lurkers.

Nice picture. I wondered about the baby’s full lips, too, then I figured they maybe used the black(?) father’s sperm…you can tell one of them deedy’s is not white.

True. :coffee:

^^^^^^^^^^
      This isnt always the case. Ellen pure had a Time mag cover, an Oprah interview, a two part episode on her show, and has said the circus like media attention around her coming out left her depressed.

VDot says:

This study is not referring to a NEWBORN BABY who still has afterbirth on him, is it?

Nevermind, I see all 3 of their cute behinds on IG
      I said thank you :mad: Take my thank you it’s heartfelt :sissy claws your air like Erica P:
      That boy of mine :heart: He follows me everywhere. I want to be mad but he’s sew cayute. He smiles at me and forget to be mad. I am lame EYE KNOW.

…I shole could have my “heart rate regulated” by laying on some bare breast right now…

:think:

who really thought she was straight was what I thought at the time…

LittleBigMouth says:

For me, they cleaned off my son and handed him to me.

I don’t think you are reading my comments or my post or you would know that I am referring to the baby being held by these half naked men BEFORE HE IS CLEANED OFF. Skin-to-skin contact at any time AFTER he is cleaned off is fine. The baby is freezing. All babies should be cleaned off so his skin is dry so he is not cold and catch infections. I hope I don’t have to repeat this to you again?

_______________________________
      Clean that ish off that baby yo :rules: Don’t nobody wanna smell yo insides!! No but for real we used to be like ahhh sweet that’s my kid? GO WASH IT. My husband would stand at the sink like :waiting: Get in those ear folds… keep going.. the nurse would be like their skin is still delicate sir. He was like :nono: They can take it they are a TAKEN :trophy: We clean swaggy people. We don’t do stank. :ghost:

bama_n_jersey says:

Shaking my head and people in here defending this bizarre behavior with no concern for the baby’s comfort. :no:

______________________________________

Well, they didn’t mention afterbirth still being on the baby, but definitely right after birth :yes:

BACKGROUND:
      Previous reports have shown that skin-to-skin care immediately after vaginal birth is the optimal form of care for full-term, healthy infants. Even in cases when the mother is awake and using spinal analgesia, early skin-to-skin contact between her and her newborn directly after cesarean birth might be limited for practical and medical safety reasons. The aim of the present study was to compare the effects of skin-to-skin contact on crying and prefeeding behavior in healthy, full-term infants born by elective cesarean birth and cared for skin-to-skin with their fathers versus conventional care in a cot during the first 2 hours after birth.

Man, I just don’t care™ says:

:think:

:rofl: :tittays:

who really thought she was straight was what I thought at the time…

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

On everything that I AM I aint pay attention to her UNTIL then. I aint know WHO she was REALLY. All that media crap MADE me pay attention. Who is Ellen…why do we care if she is gay….why is this sucha BIG DEAL.

LittleBigMouth says:

Are there pictures somewhere else that show the baby is uncomfortable? Bc the photos I see in this post just shows the face of a baby that travelled down a birth canal which isn’t pleasant or easy. I’ll just leave this alone bc to me this is much about nothing. Arent germs also air born? So should we be concerned about the air the baby is breathing as it takes it’s first breath?

Hershey says:

Auntie said clean all the cottage cheese remnants, coochie juices and snot off the baby before you lay him on the pappy. Him’s lil pores are open and he is prone to get a grown mayne’s infection :yes:

:offtopic:
      That moment when you are sitting at your desk hungry and trying to figure out why…go to get a snack out of your lunch bag and realize you forgot to eat your hotpocket for breakfast. :wtf: was I thinking. Now I gotta wait later to eat lunch. :facepalm:

sassyshe says:

From my giving birth experience and all that I have seen as soon as the baby comes out the child is placed on the chest and in a few sec scooped up, cleaned, sterilized and then given back to mom. Maybe its the preference of the medical practitioner as to how the baby is treated once it is out of the wound

Y’all not gon win :crying1: This blog ain’t yourn

^^^^^^^^^^^^
      Sandra? Stop it. Cause all of our comments STEM from YOU stating that YOU have NEVER heard of skin-to-skin contact PERIOD. “This is the first time I have ever heard of new fathers being instructed to remove their shirts for skin-to-skin contact with a newborn baby. For that matter I’ve never heard of new moms being instructed to remove their gowns for skin-to-sin contact with their babies.”

So what we were trying to purvey is…THERE is sucha thing. And not only is it for MOMS…it can be for dads too. WHO cares if they fresh out the twat? That discussion was not originally at hand. That is NOT what this ORIGINALLY was about.

VDot says:

….early skin-to-skin contact between her and her newborn directly after cesarean birth might be limited for practical and medical safety reasons.

I worked in labor and delivery and nothing much has changed. The baby’s safety and well-being will always be taken into consideration immediately after birth. The baby has to be cleaned off because the afterbirth on their skin provides a happy medium for germs that hang around the birth canal to grow. Babies are very susceptible to infections because their immune system is brand new and they have not developed their own defenses yet. I have seen babies go blind from infections after childbirth. Keep that in mind when you ask the doctor to hold off on wiping your newborn baby or putting antibiotic in his eyes.

Y’all not gon win :crying1: This blog ain’t yourn

:lol: I know right? Sandra is provocative. She gets the people going :thumbsup:

I still wanna know if that baby got some black in him tho :yes:

bama_n_jersey says:

That moment when you are sitting at your desk hungry and trying to figure out why…go to get a snack out of your lunch bag and realize you forgot to eat your hotpocket for breakfast. was I thinking. Now I gotta wait later to eat lunch.

____________________________________________

You ain’t gat to wait! Gone eat riat nah! :lol:

bama_n_jersey says:

The moral of this story kids….’You can have whatever you like’ *in my TI voice*

Welp, and there’s that.

VDot says:

Y’all not gon win This blog ain’t yourn

I know right? Sandra is provocative. She gets the people going

I still wanna know if that baby got some black in him tho
      _________________________________________________

I read your comment in Will Ferrell’s voice :lol: and yes that baby is gonna have a pair of big soup coolahs on him

In related news, please read this article about socializing boys to kiss boys http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brent-almond/boys-kissing-boys-fatherhood_b_5555867.html

bama_n_jersey says:

@Hershey…I am. These dang hot pockets that I forgot about….for 3 hours. Thankfully I have softball tonight, so I would have to eat dinner late anyway. Whole day just thrown off :pizza: <<<<really hot pockets

AND we not even gonna GET on how hospitals are now saying DONT warsh/clean up a baby right after it is born.

“Newer research indicates that vernix (vernix looks a bit like a white, waxy cream cheese, and some babies seem to have a lot and others not so much) has immune properties and leaving it on your baby’s skin provides a layer of protection while your new baby’s immune system is getting stronger”

In related news, please read this article about socializing boys to kiss boys
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      I’m out.

Wasting time says:

Welp.
      I missed it but gonna :kona: right out

Beta says:

In related news, please read this article about socializing boys to kiss boys

:huh:

SummerBaby says:

I’m so sleepy! :crying:

Hershey says:

@ Bama whatchu mean hot pawhketSSSS? how many you cutting down guh?

bama_n_jersey says:

@Hershey…Yep, plural. I am hungry and will just right the second one off as a snack… :pizza:

Hershey says:

And my absolute favorite thing in the world is to kiss my son. I’ve kissed plenty of people in my life — family, friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, my dog. (Papa’s on his own special list) Nothing in my life prepared me for how much peace and strength and joy I experience from kissing my son. On his fingers and toes as an infant, on his ever-increasing number of boo-boos, on his lips every morning as I send him and Papa off into the day, on his sleeping cheek every night before I head to bed. And then there are the spur-of-the-moment times he crawls in my lap, or puts his hand on my leg while watching TV, or gives an unsolicited “thank you” or “I love you” — which of course, all require an accompanying smooch.

___________________________________

An excerpt from the article Aunite posted up there. Chile…

Nah imma pass on reading that article :no:
      @Dub come byke. We haven’t found out if the baby blyke or not :chase:

I just know there will be a new post up soon :grin:

___________________________________

So you eating them boff riat nah aintchu? :pizza: talmbout a snack HA! chile I know you got em boff poppin in the micro as we font dontchu :lol:

bama_n_jersey says:

Yep!! :lol: I have soup for lunch, so I was getting both of these. Will probably eat my PB&J sammich on the way to the softball game.

Hershey says:

Nah imma pass on reading that article
      @Dub come byke. We haven’t found out if the baby blyke or not

________________________________

Him’s blyke…look at them lips! they are quite full to be freshly bawned and all, he’s blyke…sprites don’t adopt their own, they need a blyke accessory to diaper. #SANDRABULLOCK #CHARLIZETHERON #MADONNA #ANGIEJOLIE #SPRITESLOVECOLABABIES

:offtopic:
      Is it discrimination not to hire someone because of a speech impediment?
      The job is for a main lobby receptionist.

Momma I made it!!! says:

:waves: :newpost:

:hahaha: :cosign:

n1kk1a says:

I have birth to twins 5 weeks ago and they were preemie. My nurse told me to do skin to skin for them to regulate their temperature, bonding, and growth. They are doing amazing!

The Pearl! says:

Congratulations, n1kk1a!!!!

SellieBaby says:

SANDRA ROSE says:

___________________________________________________________________________
      EXACTLY how I feel…I tend to just try to stay out of the whole controversy but some of them just won’t let us!
      OAN:
      I have c sections, but they advised skin to skin once I got back from recovery…my baby was looking at me like “who is you”?

Torae says:

Yes, please wash the baby off before taking those photos….Birth fathers don’t even have their shirts off in the delivery room…The world is getting stranger and stranger. Let that had been a straight man with his shirt off in the room with his wife, I wonder what the response would be….

sweetpotato says:

As a certified nurse-midwife, I can attest to the benefits seen in newborns who are MEDICALLY STABLE when skin to skin is done with a parent. Skin to skin is also called “kangaroo care” and is extremely beneficial for preemies too.

Please check out http://evidencebasedbirth.com/the-evidence-for-skin-to-skin-care-after-a-cesarean/ (sorry Auntie- I know it’s rude to link other websites). Evidence Based Birth’s website provides the current evidence including the benefits and risks. We say parents now because in recent years, as the c section rate has risen, we’ve introduced skin to skin in the operating room. These are now called family centered c sections. Skin to skin is not required and women should be reminded that your birth is just that- your birth. You should be given informed choice in all decision making as you employ the provider.

It is a complete individual preference on whether to have a HEALTHY newborn’s vernix cleaned off immediately before skin to skin. Some families are grossed out by the wet, sticky feeling and others just want baby in their natural states. I could go on but I just wanted to highlight that the vernix is an evolutionary tool to help babies survive in utero and adapt when born. Historically, babies weren’t always born in a warm, cushy environment like a hospital in a climate controlled temperature. For me personally, I have texture issues and can’t get with it but if a woman chooses that, who am I to judge. What floats your boat, sails my ship!

FYI: I have had 3 beautiful surrogate births with heterosexual couples where skin to skin was initiated in a similar manner. And not everyone is bare chested- some parents bring old t shirts and then we wrap the parent and baby with a blanket to keep them both cozy.

Both of my babies were born in the water- the second at home, and were immediately placed on my chest (with a warmed towel over them) for skin-to-skin contact. We also waited until the cord stopped pulsing to cut it.

Skin to skin contact is beneficial even after birth to help stimulate milk production, for bonding, etc.

For the mother handing her baby over to someone else to do this- even if she psyched herself up mentally, I can’t imagine the chemical mama bear reaction making that comfy.

sochlo504 says:

I’m on the fence with this one. On one hand people should be able to do whatever they want in terms of their sexuality but they’re thumbing their nose at biology. I feel like the baby is thinking who the hell is this and where’s that person who I was in for 9 months?! A man just isn’t biologically suited to replace a mother.

1 Pingbacks

[…] these days, particular if birth is given by a midwife, and there are health benefits to it. You can read more about that here and not bother asking […]

You are not logged in. You must be logged in to post a comment.