CNN anchor Chris Cuomo, the brother of NY Governor Andrew Cuomo, says he tested positive for Covid-19 after suffering from flu-like symptoms for a week.
Cuomo, 49, tweeted he tested positive for coronavirus on Tuesday. He says he is now quarantining himself away from his wife and children in the basement of his home and will continue to film his nightly CNN show from there.
Governor Cuomo mentioned his brother's diagnosis during his daily press briefing on Tuesday. Gov. Cuomo said the number of cases in his state had increased by 9,298 to 75,795. Roughly 1,550 New Yorkers have reportedly died from the virus.
Gov. Cuomo said he last saw his brother two weeks ago. He used his brother as an example to urge essential workers to exercise caution.
Covid-19 causes mild to moderate flu-like symptoms in healthy adults under age 50.
The CDC offers the following tips to avoid spreading the flu or Covid-19 virus:
1. Do not touch your face with unwashed hands
2. Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds
3. Avoid close contact with sick people
4. Sneeze and cough into a tissue or your elbow
5. Stay home if you are sick
5. Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces
6. When in doubt consult with a healthcare professional