Ariel Castro sentenced to life

After serving only 33 days of a 1,000 year prison sentence for kidnapping 3 Cleveland women, Ariel Castro hanged himself in his prison cell yesterday, the New York times reports.

Castro, 53, was found hanging in his cell at the Correctional Reception Center in Orient, Ohio at 9:20 p.m. Tuesday night. He was later pronounced dead at a hospital. Castro was placed on suicide watch after his arrest earlier this year for kidnapping 3 girls between 2002 and 2004 and keeping them captive in his Cleveland home.

Read more »

Ariel Castro sentenced to life

Ohio kidnapper Ariel Castro was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole for kidnapping three women and holding them captive for up to 11 years. Referring to himself as a victim, Castro said, "I believe I'm a porn addict. I'm not a violent person, I just kept them there without being able to leave."

Castro said he never forced himself on the women, and that at times the women asked him for sex. He said there was always "harmony in the home."

Judge Michael Russo told Castro that it's likely that nobody else in the country agrees that there was harmony inside that home.

Castro sat attentively as his first victim, Michelle Knight, addressed him in a Cleveland courtroom today. "I will overcome all this has happened, but you will face hell for eternity," said Knight, 32.

Read more »

Amanda Berry Gina DeJesus Michelle Knight

Three Ohio women who were snatched off the streets as teenagers 10 years ago thanked their supporters in a video released Monday.

Amanda Berry, 27, Gina DeJesus, 23, and Michelle Knight, 32, were kidnapped as teenagers and held for over 10 years in the dungeon of Cleveland school bus driver Ariel Castro, 52.

The three and a half minute video was posted to YouTube on Monday by a public relations firm, according to UK's Daily Mail. In the video, Berry, DeJesus and Knight thanked their supporters for giving them privacy after the girls were rescued on May 6. Berry had a daughter, now 6, while in captivity.

"First and foremost, I want everyone to understand how happy I am to be home with my family and my friends," Berry said. "It's been unbelievable. I'm getting stronger each day and having my privacy has helped immensely. I ask that everyone continues to respect our privacy and give us to time have a normal life."

Read more »

Man says he was first to rescue Amanda Berry

A Cleveland man says he was the first to rescue kidnap victim Amanda Berry from a Seymour Avenue clapboard house where she and 2 other women were imprisoned for over a decade.

Angel Cordero is staking his claim to the $25,000 reward money offered by police for information leading to the whereabouts of the missing girls.

Charles Ramsey, the neighbor credited with rescuing Berry, told CNN's Anderson Cooper that the money should go to the three kidnap victims, Berry, 27, Gina DeJesus, 24, and Michelle Knight, 32.

Read more »