File photo: BACKGRID
Disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein was sentenced to 23 years in prison on charges of sexual assault and rape in a New York court on Wednesday.
Weinstein, 67, entered the court in a wheelchair to face sentencing after a jury convicted him last month of sexually assaulting former production assistant Mimi Haley and raping former aspiring actress Jessica Mann.
Weinstein is seen arriving to New York State Supreme Court on Feb. 24. The father of 5 was transferred last week to New York's Rikers Island jail after having a stent inserted in his heart during surgery at Bellevue Hospital.
Judge James Burke imposed a lengthy sentence of 20 years for the assault on Haley and three years for a third degree rape on Mann, to be served consecutively. He was also sentenced to five years of post-sentence supervision.
According to Variety.com, Weinstein expressed "deep remorse" for his actions but also claimed to be "confused" by his conviction, citing his "serious friendships" with the two victims, and claimed men were not being given "due process" when accused of sexual misconduct.
Four other women who testified against Weinstein during the case were in court for the hearing. Scores of others have also accused the shamed movie mogul of misconduct ranging from harassment to rape, allegations he has denied.
Photos: Instagram.com, Memphis PD
A dance coach for the Lifetime reality show "Bring It" was sentenced to only 9 months in prison for exposing a 16-year-old boy to HIV.
John Conner III was also sentenced to four years probation and he must register as a sex offender for life.
Conner, 30, pleaded guilty in November to criminal exposure to HIV, statutory rape by an authority figure and solicitation of a minor for indecent purposes.
Police said Conner met the teenager o social media in 2015 and invited the boy to join his Infamous Dancerettes dance team. Conner and the boy had unprotected sex on several occasions, according to the affidavit.
Conner didn't tell the teenager he was diagnosed with HIV in 2015. The teenager later tested positive for HIV.
After Conner cut a plea deal with the Memphis District Attorney's office, a judge sentenced him to only 9 months in prison and four months probation.
The DA decided Conner's crime was "minor" and punishable by less than a year in prison.
Lifetime's "Bring It" was a television dance competition that featured teams from the Mid-South, including Conner's.
U.S Department of Justice
Tekashi 6ix9ine's gang leader pal Aljermiah "Nuke" Mack (right) has been sentenced to 17 years hard time in prison for drug dealing and racketeering as part of the violent Nine Trey Gangsta Bloods set.
Mack, 33, was convicted of racketeering and conspiracy to distribute heroin and fentanyl, but was acquitted of a kidnapping charge.
Mack was identified after Tekashi, real name Daniel Hernandez, testified against the gang members he was previously associated with.
Judge Paul Engelmayer imposed the 17-year sentence on Mack after noting he had done "nothing to accept responsibility" for his leadership role in the gang crimes. Judge Engelmayer said he would have reduced Mack's sentence by several years had he pleaded guilty.
"Remember this moment," the judge told Mack when lecturing him to take responsibility for his crimes, reported the New York Post.
Among the friends and family pleading for leniency was Pedro Sierra, a Bushwick High School principal and dean, who sent a letter of support, describing Mack as "well respected in the community."
"I know deep down in my soul, if [given] the opportunity, Mr. Mack will spend his time giving back to our community," Sierra wrote. "Many of the students are also facing many of the same traps Mr. Mack has faced, however, Mr. Mack will be able to help them avoid it."
He added: "In this day and age many of the students will listen to someone who is well respected in the community as Mr. Mack."
Tekashi, 23, is expected to be released from jail this summer, after the "Fefe" star was ordered to serve only 2 years behind bars for racketeering and firearms charges in December, 2019.
Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images
President Trump's friend and advisor Roger Stone was sentenced to three years and 4 months for lying to Congress, witness tampering and obstruction of justice. But he may never see the inside of a prison.
Stone walked out of the courthouse with a big smile on his face after the sentence was handed down on Thursday.
Federal Judge Amy Berman Jackson, an Obama appointee, said she rejected prosecutors' demands for nine years - but not because of outside pressure.
Four prosecutors walked off the job last week after the Department of Justice and President Trump intervened, saying the nine years demanded by the prosecution was unfair.
He is out on bail as his lawyers plan to file for a retrial on the basis that the jury foreperson, Tomeka Hart, was an anti-Trump activist who often tweeted leftwing Russia collusion posts on social media.
It also emerged that Judge Berman Jackson denied a request to strike a potential juror who was an Obama-era press official with anti-Trump views.
President Trump has dropped hints that he will pardon Stone.
Photos: Hennepin County Sheriff, Google Maps
A former manager at a McDonald's in Minneapolis has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for repeatedly raping a 14-year-old employee inside a cooler.
Andrew Otero Albertorio, of Maple Grove, pleaded guilty on Nov. 25 to multiple charges of rape. He was sentenced this week. Prosecutors were seeking 12 years behind bars.
Albertorio, 25, apologized to the victim and her family in court as part of his plea deal.
According to the criminal complaint, the 14-year-old victim began working at McDonald's in the summer of 2018. Albertorio, who worked as the night manager, discussed having sex with her on multiple occasions, but she told him she didn't want to.
In December, prosecutors allege Albertorio cornered the underage girl inside the restaurant’s cooler where he pressured her into having sex.
Over the next month, Albertorio had sex with her in numerous locations.
Photos: Met Police
A 21-year-old British woman who disguised herself as a teenage boy to prey on girls online was sentenced to 8 years in prison on Friday.
Prosecutors say Gemma Watts created an online persona as Jake Watson, a 16-year-old boy, to groom minor girls on Snapchat or Instagram, Fox News reported.
Met Police said Watts used her online persona to strike up conversations with dozens of girls in private messages. She persuaded girls to meet her in various parts of England.
"She then went on to form physical relationships in which she spun a web of lies and deceit, giving her the opportunity to commit sexual offenses," said Phillipa Kenwrite, a detective who worked on the case.
Police were alerted by a Hampshire doctor who said a young patient was sexually assaulted by her teenage boyfriend.
Police say Watts sexually assaulted more than 50 girls. The girls believed they were in a relationship with a teenage boy and they didn't realize the deception until they were contacted by police.
"For some of these girls, it's one of their first relationships," Kenwrite said. "Her arrest, and now lengthy prison sentence, has prevented her from targeting further victims."
Actress Felicity Huffman reported to prison on Tuesday morning to begin serving a 14-day sentence for her role in the U.S. college admissions scandal.
The former 'Desperate Housewives' star reported to the Federal Correctional Institution in Dublin, California "to serve the term of imprisonment Judge Talwani ordered as one part of the punishment she imposed for Ms. Huffman's actions," according to the fallen star's representatives.
"She will begin serving the remainder of the sentence Judge Talwani imposed - one year of supervised release, with conditions including 250 hours of community service - when she is released," a statement reads.
WENN.com reports Huffman will serve the next two weeks in the low-security all-women's federal prison, located in Alameda County in California.
Huffman, 56, accepted responsibility and pleaded guilty to charges of bribing a middleman to get her daughter into an elite university.
She learned her fate in a federal courtroom in Boston, Massachusetts on September 13.
She was also ordered to pay a $30,000 fine and complete 250 hours of community service upon her release in 2 weeks. The actress will also be placed on probation for one year.
She was one of 30 affluent parents, including 'Fuller House' star Lori Loughlin, who were charged with cheating the system.
Loughlin, 55, pleaded not guilty and has yet to be sentenced. A federal judge is expected to throw the book at Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, 56, who also pleaded not guilty.
This is an open post where you can discuss any subject matter. This post will not be censored or moderated. Disqus may automatically moderate certain words considered offensive. There are no rules in Open Posts. So enter at your own risk.
Dallas County Sheriff's Dept.
A Dallas woman was sentenced to six years in prison for subjecting her 10-year-old son, Christopher to hundreds of procedures and 13 major surgeries.
According to a Child Protective Services (CPS) complaint obtained by the Star-Telegram, Kaylene Bowen-Wright faked or caused her son's illnesses and medical problems almost from the day he was born.
CPS states Bowen-Wright, 36, subjected Christopher to years of unnecessary invasive medical treatments in Dallas, where they lived.
Bowen-Wright pleaded guilty to injury to a child causing serious bodily harm. She admitted she faked his medical conditions and subjected him to 13 major surgeries as well as hundreds of minor medical procedures.
According to the Dallas Morning News, Christopher was fed through a feeding tube and for a time he was in a wheelchair.
When he was 5, Christopher was placed in hospice care and Bowen-Wright signed a "do not resuscitate” order, meaning nurses would allow him to die if his condition took a turn for the worse.
"(She would) just always say that something's wrong with Christopher all the time," the child's father, Ryan Crawford testified in court. "It was just one thing after another."
Bowen-Wright was arrested in 2017 after CPS notified authorities of a possible Munchausen syndrome by proxy child abuse case. Her other children were removed from her home.
Munchausen syndrome by proxy is a condition in which a mentally unstable parent or caregiver exaggerates or causes medical problems in children or people in their care.
Christopher, who has healed from his surgeries, was placed in his father's custody by the state.
"She stole Christopher's childhood," prosecutor Jennifer Sawyer said in court.
A Pinellas County man who was convicted of manslaughter in the fatal shooting of a Black man during a convenience store parking lot dispute was sentenced to 20 years in prison on Thursday.
Michael Drejka, 48, was arrested last year and charged with manslaughter in the July 19, 2018 shooting death of 28-year-old Markeis McGlockton, right.
Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Judge Joseph Bulone sentenced Drejka after listening to witness impact statements from McGlockton's family members, including his parents and Britany Jacobs, the mother of his four children.
"The defendant's weakness, his cowardice and his anger are the reasons Markeis is dead," said Jacobs, reading from a prepared statement. "Think about raising four children alone without their daddy. Without Markeis my world can never be whole again," said Jacobs.
She asked Judge Bulone to sentence Drejka to a maximum of 30 years.
Judge Bulone, who described Drejka as a "wannabe cop," refused the defense's request for a lenient sentence such as house arrest.
Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri initially refused to arrest Drejka, citing Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law that allows licensed gun owners to use deadly force if they feel threatened -- even if the other person is unarmed.
Drejka confronted McGlockton's girlfriend Britany Jacobs for parking in a handicapped spot outside the store. McGlockton, who was unarmed, was shot when he rushed out of the store to defend Jacobs.
Surveillance camera footage shows McGlockton shove Drejka to the ground. Drejka then shot McGlockton in the chest as McGlockton backed away from him.
Black residents complained to police that Drejka, who is white, threatened them and shouted racial slurs after they parked in the same handicapped spot.
Drejka was described as a menace to society who waved his gun at other drivers during road rage incidents.
Tyler Perry is disputing rapper Juelz Santana's claim that he was scheduled to film a reunion TV show with Tyler in Atlanta.
In December, Juelz pleaded guilty and was sentenced to serve 27 months in prison. He was scheduled to turn himself in on January 30, but his new surrender date is February 28.
Read more »
Rapper Juelz Santana will spend the next 27 months in prison. The 36-year-old New York native was sentenced Wednesday following his conviction in March for attempting to carry a gun onto a plane.
Read more »
President Trump's long-time consigliere Michael Cohen was sentenced to 3 years in prison on Wednesday. A federal judge in New York sentenced Cohen after he pleaded guilty to multiple counts of income tax evasion, bank fraud, and campaign finance violations.
Read more »
A Greek court on Friday cleared 9 men of murder in the brutal beating death of American tourist Bakari Henderson. Henderson, 22, was killed during a bar brawl in July of 2017.
Read more »
Cardi B's bestie Star Brim has been locked up in the federal pen on wire fraud charges for 5 months. Here's a few things you should know about her.
Read more »
Corey "C-Murder" Miller may soon be a free man after two witnesses recanted their testimony that put the No Limit Records rapper behind bars for life without the possibility of parole.
Read more »