Liam Flanagan

An 8-year-old Oregon boy died days after doctors amputated most of his limbs in a desperate bid to halt the progression of deadly flesh-eating bacteria.

Liam Flanagan, a second-grader from Spring Creek, contracted the flesh-eating bacteria after crashing his bike while riding down a hill near his family home on Saturday Jan. 13.

Read more »

Cat fight

A Michigan woman is recovering at home after being hospitalized with a serious infection resulting from a cat fight that was caught on video.

The unidentified Melvin, Michigan woman told MyFox Detroit that she took in the stray cat after someone threatened to shoot it. She said she owns three other cats, and the stray cat was “sweet as pie” at first. But she said the cat eventually became aggressive and attempted to attack her mother’s dog.

Read more »

Nasal boils

Rapper T.I.’s niece, Kamaya Harris, posted the following photos on her Instagram page today. In the caption she wrote:

I wasn’t going to post this but I wanted to share my flow for the past 3 days… They have been very miserable, very sleepless, & very painful but thru it all God is good almost over & I’ll be back to myself soon

The “boil” is real

Based on the information in her caption, I’m guessing she is suffering from a painful boil (Furunculosis, Folliculitis) inside her nose that can be caused by Streptococcus pyogenes or Staphylococcus aureus bacteria.

You may recall my discussion on Staphylococcus Aureus in my Medical Minute post on MRSA. I told you that Staph lives on our skin and inside our noses. When the bacteria colonizes our noses it becomes necessary to decolonize the nose with antibiotics to prevent recurrent infections.

Read more »

1