Medical Minute: Radiation Sickness, Poisoning

As you know, there was a series of explosions at several nuclear reactors in Japan following the earthquake and tsunami disasters.

One (or more) of the nuclear reactors is badly damaged and deadly radiation has escaped into the atmosphere.

If you’re watching the news, then you know the the U.S. government is evacuating U.S. citizens to the United States from Japan. But there is more ominous news coming out of Japan that brings to mind the nuclear disaster that occurred at the Chernobyl nuclear plant inside Russia in 1986.

Technicians inside the plant were conducting tests on reactor #4 when a series of explosions rocked the building, exposing the reactor’s core and sending radioactive dust and smoke spewing into the air. The fallout eventually spread all over Russia and Europe.

Neighboring countries had no idea what had occurred until their sensitive instruments began detecting high levels of radiation in the air above their cities. They knew that a nuclear accident had occurred somewhere, but they had no idea where because the Russians weren’t talking.

On the other side of the globe, alarmed United States gov. officials asked NASA scientists to point their powerful satellite telescopes at Russia, whereupon they spied the giant plume of radiation smoke and debris rising into the atmosphere from the damaged nuclear reactor inside Russia. Only then did the Russians finally admit there had been an accident.

Thousands of people eventually died from radiation sickness, including 200,000 Russian civilians and soldiers who risked their lives to go into the nuclear plant to plug up the leaking reactor and decontaminate the site.

An entire town near the plant was evacuated and to this day it remains uninhabited. Wild animals and stray dogs and cats near the reactor and in the town were ordered shot and killed to prevent the spread of radiation.

I’m telling you this because there is a giant plume of radiation fallout from Japan drifting toward the west coast of the United States.

Click link to read more

The plume of radiation is expected to arrive on our western shores tomorrow (Friday). National news outlets are reporting panic buying of iodine (iodide) tablets in Japan and the U.S.

Iodine protects the thyroid and other glands from radiation poisoning.

The U.S. government, which has always been keen about preventing panic in the streets, isn’t telling California residents the seriousness of the situation — probably because they don’t know themselves.

So here’s what to expect if you live in California and you are exposed to high levels of radiation in the coming days.

Keep in mind that the symptoms you experience may depend upon the dose of radiation and the duration of exposure to such radiation.

Radiation attacks every system in your body: cardiac (heart, blood), neuromuscular (brain, nerves, muscles), skeletal (bones) and gastrointestinal (stomach, liver, intestines).

In the beginning stages, people typically experience fever, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headache, fatigue and mild skin changes (redness, itching).

In later stages (again, depending upon the amount of radiation and the duration of exposure) there is blistering and peeling of the skin, ulcerations, infections and necrosis (dead tissue) down to the bone. Dramatic hair loss in men and women, loss of consciousness and death.

If the exposure is moderate over a short period of time, these symptoms may begin to appear in months or even years.

Keep watching the news, because it’s doubtful you will get any real information about the radiation risk from the government.

51 Responses to “Medical Minute: Radiation Sickness, Poisoning”

MzLadiKim says:

This is crazy! What I’m appaled at is the lack of knowledge the media has about this situation that affects the entire world- not only Japan. I watched CNN two days ago & the reporter asked the main nuclear weapons investigator how does this affect people like you & I…..AND the investigator DID NOT (I repeat- DID NOT) answer that question. He was very evasive…I really hope that we are all doing our own research to determine what steps can be taken to protect ourselves as much as possible (for now…..).

That’s why their should be a WORLDWIDE ban on nuclear weapons….That includes you too USA :coffee:

*there…typing too fast :ashamed:

MzLadiKim says:

1985- I agree with you…many dif Governments claims they are intended to only be used to protect that country…but what exactly do they have as a defense mechanism when crazyness like this happens?

kingstonn says:

so.. I should go back to my island right?

So Kingstonn….I’m gonna assume you’re from Kingston…what part?

yallcrazy says:

I, too, agree, that nukes have no place here on earth. :mad:

*thinks who the hell thought of this genious plan?*

FoxE says:

I heard on the news. That the radiation won’t have a drastic effect on the US due to the # of miles it has to travel to touch land. And by the time it reaches the US it’ll only be mostly air..

But it could spread if citizens bring it back over…

yallcrazy says:

@Fox

There’s no way that they’re telling us everything. :scared:

FoxE says:

@Rene

:cosign:

YSoSerious says:

The radiation in this oncoming plume will be so diluted that it won’t pose much danger to Californians or any other US states.

Save the scare tactics for Faux News Auntie. :coffee:

kingstonn says:

@ renegade
    kinda. im really from vi but my dads from kingston so I just use that sometimes. I went when I was little but for some reason forgot that whole trip. :lol:

FoxE says:

@yall

Yeah I know…it was on the local news here in MI..

ALBoy says:

Im not sure how I feel aboout the whole No Nukes thing but it is messed up what going on in Japan and it will be problems for years to come google Chernobyl<—- I know japan isnt as bad as this but this is what could happen :no: Praying for Japan Hawaii all of us!

yallcrazy says:

@Al I was watching Rachel Maddow last night on MSNBC and she showed details about 3 mile island, Chernobyl, and Japan.

It’s f8cked up over there…

StillASassyOne says:

Glad I live on the East coast for once!

*marks San Fran & Vegas off of list of places to travel this year*

Meanwhile…..I’m prejudiced against all folks from the West Coast and/or of Japanese decent until this is cleared up! Don’t want ya’ll touching me/breathing on me and getting radiation on me.

yallcrazy says:

:dead: @ I’m prejudiced against all folks from the West Coast and/or of Japanese decent until this is cleared up! Don’t want ya’ll touching me/breathing on me and getting radiation on me.

*hangs head, shamefully feeling the same way*

!*LaKErCHiC@*! says:

@SASSY :cosign: DON’T TAKE NO RISK :nono:

YSoSerious says:

Save the scare tactics for Faux News Auntie. :coffee:

That’s what people in European countries were told after Chernobyl blew up. Of course they’re now dead so we can’t ask them what they think about the current disaster. :coffee:

yvonne79 says:

This sounds really scary. I will say an extra prayer for those in Japan and US alike.

Jay Bee says:

wow! God have mercy

I just added a photo of a young child being tested for radiation exposure in Japan. Look at how the technicians are dressed. That should tell you all you need to know about the dangerous levels of radiation in the air over there.

ALBoy says:

I think as far as Radiation in the US it wont be as bad as Japan but it will have some effect on the coast fishing and things of that nature

JinxnJade555 says:

@Sassy :cosign: Sorry, I’m just gonna politely ask give me 50 ft. please :mad:

AWESOME ARSENAL says:

Saw a documentary about the survivors of Hiroshima. They showed folks’ skin melting off and this one dude who didn’t have skin to protect his innards. You could touch his ribcage and poke his organs if you wanted to and this dude had living like that for decades……..

JinxnJade555 says:

Either way :shrugs: My thoughts and prayers are with them :pray:

MzLadiKim says:

Be careful what seafood products & food in general you are eating….never know what animals have already been affected by this.

ALBoy says:

I dont think I will stop eating Shrimp though :shrug: Its radiation in our air anyway so :shrug: MOre in Arizona’s air than anywhere else though :coffee:

MzLadiKim says:

I believe that when I bless my food I am covered…..but we must still know whats in our food… *Kim now wonders if Al knows how to make Shrimp alfredo…*

ALBoy says:

And they are in level B suits so I wouldn’t worry until they put those Level A suits on with the breathing apparatus on the back :coffee:

ALBoy says:

@ Mz Ladi I sure do I make it at least once a week more than that if friends or family ask for it.

MzLadiKim says:

@ Al….hmmmmm checking my calendar now to see when I can schedule my own personal dish with a glass of Robert Mondavi Merlot on the side!!!

RoderickXYZ says:

I noticed that too. If I were a Japanese civilian I would be on a plane to the States ASAP.

AllNYC says:

Are you kidding? The Surgeon General did not say go out and buy the iodine, but she said it wasn’t a bad idea to have some on hand.
    The iodine is not effective as a prophylactic, but works if you are exposed to radiation.
    Radiation experts were mad that she didn’t tell people to stop buying iodine. You can suffer ill effects from taking too much iodine.
    So the Obama administration doc said go on and get your iodine just in case. Try getting some iodine once the plume hits Cali – impossible.

misstea77 says:

To correct an earlier comment, there is a big difference between nuclear weapons and a nuclear reactor used for power generation. The main fission products that have already likely been released from this accident are Cesium and Iodine, which based on my professional judgement as a nuclear engineer, would likely be so diluted by the time they reach the US, there wouldn’t be a concern. Remember also that everyone gets a certain amount of radiation every day from natural sources (the sun, etc), and medical procedures (i.e. x-rays).

The main problem here is that the US government is relying on information from the Japanese electric company (TEPCO) and there have been some doubts about their transparency. Which is why yesterday, the US recommended a wider evacuation area…my suspicion is the US was finally able to get solid information from US experts sent there to assist with the response.

It’s definitely a serious situation with events unfolding and changing by the hour. I just don’t like to see and hear all this fear mongering, that is based on a lack of understanding. There isn’t a need to panic…yet. LOL

AllNYC says:

What’s the difference? :lol: Her job is to prevent panic in the streets by releasing very little information.

misstea77 < — works for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, so listen to her. :yes:

misstea77 says:

Great info from an expert in the nuclear industry! :yes: But, um, my readers know that I do not fear monger. I am simply educating my readers to what they should expect IF they are exposed to moderate levels of radiation. That’s all. :coffee:

YSoSerious says:

Misstea says:

*************************************
    Exactly what I said. :coffee:

BTW, thanks for your EXPERT opinion on this important matter. :smile:

StillASassyOne says:

No…it’s fear-mongering. :coffee:

I still love you though, Sandra! :hug:

@MissTea
    Thank you for that expert advice. I’m still keeping my distance from some of those “Western/Japanese” folks though. Can’t ever be too careful.

girlwarrior says:

Fukishima and Chernobyl can’t be compared… When Chernobyl blew up it had ALREADY been leaking radioactive isotopes and was in overdrive when it blew up. Plus it had a graphite combustible core. Using Chernobyl as a tactic to enstill fear in people isn’t the right way to go about this situation.
    :rolleyes:
    We’re all exposed to radiation every day. Just about everything around us emits some type of radiation. Once the “radioactive plume” reaches those in California is going to be diluted (a lot of it has probably already decayed), and not a health risk.

Who I’m more concerned for are those in Japan and those workers nearest to the source of the radiation. Those workers are inevitably giving up their lives in order to try and keep a serious disaster from happening.

Phrozen1der says:

@Awesome :cry: Yikes!

@MissTea *Climbs from under desk* :thumbsup:

YSoSerious says:

@Girlwarrior

Exactly. Those Japanese workers trying to keep the reactors from overheating are basically on a suicide mission.

But a lot of folks, especially Americans, don’t care about something unless/until it’s going to affect them directly.

And causing people to panic unnecessarily isn’t going to help anybody but those that survive and thrive on the fear of others.

ALBoy says:

I think the comparison is fair seeing that there could be further problems with the Plant in Fukishima. I think the worst case scenario should be shown then once we see it isnt as bad at least we know what it could have been. Misstea77 The US is doing what it should be doing!Of Course Tepco isnt being transparent What country is transparent about their nuclear program? Its Early still. Its wild to me how if the US goes and steps in a country trying to “help” a country at war or whatever then they need to mind their own business but as soon as disaster hits US needs to step up US needs to do more. :no:

girlwarrior says:

YSoSerious says:

@Girlwarrior

——-
    :yes:
    I was even talking to one of my girlfriends about this the other day, and the only thing she said was “Is America safe? Okay… that’s all I needed to know.” O______o

girlwarrior says:

Um, wrong. the Chernobyl plant was not leaking isotopes. The reactor was actually turned off when they began their tests. The tests were done incorrectly and that’s what caused the explosion. :coffee:

YSoSerious says:

This is the thanks I get for trying to educate people. I’m done.

:pc:

ALBoy says:

Thank you ALBoy. :clap: We still don’t know how severe the radioactivity is. Governments are notorious for keeping facts from the public to prevent panic. Please watch this video to see the worst nuclear disaster in history and how the Russians kept their people in the dark about the danger >> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5384001427276447319#

miamore1973 says:

@misstea77 thank you for that information. I’m in southern cali and honestly I’m not worried. Plus I know if there were a real danger the government wouldn’t tell us anyway. They’d let us walk around with cancer and once we started dropping say OH MY BAD Didn’t we tell you……

My trust is in the Lord I know He has my back.

@Auntie I think she was more referring to folks saying they didn’t wanna visit Cali and Vegas and touch us West Coastians and the Japanese. That’s cool though.

miamore1973 says: